Options

Official Stupid Questions Thread

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

lolobugg said:

Stupid question(s):

At what age do you tell kids about Santa? Also, do you tell them or do they find out from friends? I honestly can't remember how I found out

You could do what my mom did and wrap all the Santa presents with masking tape and then tell a hilarious christmas morning story about running out of scotch tape and having to use masking tape on the rest of the presents. She then asked me if I liked my present from santa...bitch.
    I've slipped up so many times w/ my oldest, but have been able to get back on track. I'm pretty sure he'll be like " I don't care how the stuff gets under the tree, just keep it coming" :))
    where I grew up-
    most homes don't have fireplaces/chimneys.
    we always asked, "how will Santa get in?"
    my mom would tell us that he uses the door and has a key to every house...
    kids will believe anything. :))
    We actually have a huge "magical" key we put under the mat outside before bed. It's magical because the kids said "no way that fits in the key hole". They wake up and the key is next to the cookie crumbs and empty egg nog glass
    That is too stinkin' sweet!
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243

Stupid question(s):

At what age do you tell kids about Santa? Also, do you tell them or do they find out from friends? I honestly can't remember how I found out

Usually kids find out from their friends or they figure it out on their own (they are kind-of smart that way).

How come kids are not more creeped out with the whole "He sees you when you're sleeping, He knows when you're awake" deal? My friend and I were just mentioning that Santa comes off as a stalker with talk like that.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited November 2014
    Yea when I was a kid Santa came through the fire escape. Then when I was almost eight we moved to a place where the tree had to be in front of the fire escape window cuz there was no other space for it and the jig was up.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,392
    SD48277 said:

Stupid question(s):

Usually kids find out from their friends or they figure it out on their own (they are kind-of smart that way).

How come kids are not more creeped out with the whole "He sees you when you're sleeping, He knows when you're awake" deal? My friend and I were just mentioning that Santa comes off as a stalker with talk like that.
    Have you heard of the Shelf Elf? He's a scout for Santa that reports back on the behavior of the kid. The idea is that the parents move him to a different shelf every night so the kid thinks this thing is real. Creepy doll watching me as I sleep. I don't think so.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Hobbes said:

SD48277 said:

Stupid question(s):

Have you heard of the Shelf Elf? He's a scout for Santa that reports back on the behavior of the kid. The idea is that the parents move him to a different shelf every night so the kid thinks this thing is real. Creepy doll watching me as I sleep. I don't think so.
    creepy stuff.... :))
    reminds me of all the stuff my uncle used to tell me when I was a kid to keep me in line.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_Man

scary stuff for a kid and I don't know where he got it from as my father's family is Welsh/Irish/English.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Hobbes said:

SD48277 said:

Stupid question(s):

Santa sent an elf to our house last year for the first time. Creeped the hell out of the kids. Especially when I'd move the thing into their rooms and they'd see him when they woke up :))
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    Hobbes said:

SD48277 said:

Stupid question(s):

Look at those eyes...he's clearly on something.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    thats just wrong.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Hobbes said:

SD48277 said:

Stupid question(s):

Ya....... that thing is straight from Hell !
  • Options
    His hands clasped under his legs is particularly creepy.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,716
    edited November 2014

Stupid question(s):

I say never lie and say he's real in the first place. I never believed in Santa, but I and my family had just as much fun jokingly pretending he did (putting out cookies and the whole bit, giggling the next day about how many my dad would stuff in his face, laughing over the gifts under the tree that said "Love Santa" a week before Christmas, making fun of the mall Santas and how much it looked like they wanted to strangle the kids, haha... it was fun! And while I was at it I avoided believing in something blantantly illogical, the moment of "I'm an idiot and my parents suck" when someone revealed it was all a farce, and my parents got to avoid lying to me for years. No, this didn't "ruin the magic of Christmas". We aren't religious in any way, so the concept of God impregnating a virgin and lighting up the sky for three kings was magic enough for us! :D
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PJ_Soul said:

Stupid question(s):

I say never lie and say he's real in the first place. I never believed in Santa, but I and my family had just as much fun jokingly pretending he did (putting out cookies and the whole bit, giggling the next day about how many my dad would stuff in his face, laughing over the gifts under the tree that said "Love Santa" a week before Christmas, making fun of the mall Santas and how much it looked like they wanted to strangle the kids, haha... it was fun! And while I was at it I avoided believing in something blantantly illogical, the moment of "I'm an idiot and my parents suck" when someone revealed it was all a farce, and my parents got to avoid lying to me for years. No, this didn't "ruin the magic of Christmas". We aren't religious in any way, so the concept of God impregnating a virgin and lighting up the sky for three kings was magic enough for us! :D
    Wait...what the hell do you mean Santa isn't real? I think I need to go call my therapist.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Good ol' Elf on the shelf. I would just get a kid to set him up during christmas :))

Why don't we remember the time when we couldn't read and letters were just weird signs to us?
  • Options
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,835

Oh this is just what my wine addled brain needs just before bed...

Good luck with a good sleep tonight!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    my daughter is studying to be an interior decorator and had a job at a decor place, she had many compliments for her good work and was given plenty of work, but a manager left and a new one started, and was younger than my daughter and was intimidated by my daughters talents so she gave less hours until it wasn't worth my daughter working there anymore, when we walked passed the place today, I said to her , so that's where you were working before, automatically she felt defensive and said did you have to say that, and she felt silly and ashamed
    My question is, must victims like my daughter be ashamed of other peoples bad qualities and misconduct and feel imbarressed for downs falls?
    Or is it not better to let her know it's not her and not to feel bad and let it get her down?
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    JWPearl said:

my daughter is studying to be an interior decorator and had a job at a decor place, she had many compliments for her good work and was given plenty of work, but a manager left and a new one started, and was younger than my daughter and was intimidated by my daughters talents so she gave less hours until it wasn't worth my daughter working there anymore, when we walked passed the place today, I said to her , so that's where you were working before, automatically she felt defensive and said did you have to say that, and she felt silly and ashamed
    My question is, must victims like my daughter be ashamed of other peoples bad qualities and misconduct and feel imbarressed for downs falls?
    Or is it not better to let her know it's not her and not to feel bad and let it get her down?

I don't think your daughter should be embarrassed of anything. I think maybe a little anger for doing a good job and having a shitty work leader. But def nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    badbrains said:

JWPearl said:

I don't think your daughter should be embarrassed of anything. I think maybe a little anger for doing a good job and having a shitty work leader. But def nothing to be embarrassed about.
    see that's my thought too but my daughter has a lot of learning still and I'm learning with the most impossible child to deal with..... others are a breeze.....
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    JWPearl said:

badbrains said:

JWPearl said:

see that's my thought too but my daughter has a lot of learning still and I'm learning with the most impossible child to deal with..... others are a breeze.....
    Don't give up on her.
  • Options
    Stupid Question:

Does anyone else hate the "tired all day and can't wait to hit the sack, then come bed time - boom - wide awake" feeling?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

Stupid Question:

Does anyone else hate the "tired all day and can't wait to hit the sack, then come bed time - boom - wide awake" feeling?

Yes.... freedom tends to make me energized.... then it's right back to the vicious cycle the next day.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Why can't they wait until at least after Turkey day to start with the christmas music?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,835
    edited November 2014
    RKCNDY said:

Why can't they wait until at least after Turkey day to start with the christmas music?

Depends on where you are...because it's way after turkey day here.
    I just can't stand to see or hear christmasy stuff before Remembrance Day.
    Post edited by northerndragon on
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    So those that live in these participating states, do they tack on an additional $0.05 cents for a deposit? Wonder why all the state's don't participate? Whether it's water, pop, juice, booze......?

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    When and why has language become so bastardized?

Earlier a Lysol commercial proudly touted the advice to "start healthing".

Healthing isn't a verb. HEALTH isn't a verb.

Fuck you, Lysol.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    hedonist said:

Fuck you, Lysol.

Lmao!! At least I'm not the only one irritated by that commercial!!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Fuck you, Lysol.

and these kids use the word "more" incorrectly...I am more hungry....I am more tired...and I hear it from sports broadcasters too

To steal a line from Hedonist, because I think it works, Fuck you young people and sports broadcasters using "more" incorrectly!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    "fuck you young people" :D

(I'm gonna start calling you Walt Kowalski)
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

So those that live in these participating states, do they tack on an additional $0.05 cents for a deposit? Wonder why all the state's don't participate? Whether it's water, pop, juice, booze......?

The short answer is yes.

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I love that in Michigan, you get that cash refund for bottles. It's like a little piggy bank for days when you're short on cash. And it reminds me of Germany :)
This discussion has been closed.