Options

Official Stupid Questions Thread

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    A whole month is a lot! In Berlin, they have been building a new airport and it was supposed to be ready three years ago. It is still not done, getting postponed all the time. When Cav visited me for our engagement party with my side of the family, he was supposed to land there, then he had to rebook all his flights because the thing wasn't ready. That was in 2012 lol

Whispering hands - we do have our name at the mailbox too, and usually my mailman knows me and knows where to go. Maybe it was a new person, I don't know. Maybe they thought both patier enter in the same door? Who knows. The other day, they delivered our new range hood. A 36" one. They left it at the door of the neighbour. All in plain daylight, a huge package. If I would not have checked the tracking and seen that it was delivered, we would not have brought it in right before the rain started. I also find it odd that everybody knocks on doors here. Always scares the shit out of me :)) I prefer a nice, loud bell.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Knocks on the door as well as that fucking nice loud bell scare the shit out of our two cats. We can count on George for a good hour or so behind the bed afterward :D

Private or public construction, it seems a whole lot of folks get screwed by so-called delays, cost overages, and on. Or just taking most of the money and bailing on the job.

Makes my blood boil!

(for anyone craving redemption, I recommend Catch a Contractor on SpikeTV)
  • Options
    We only used contractors for the roof and the basement. So far. Cav is doing all the rest on our house. It might take a bit longer, but it is amazing how much you can do yourself. We were having a ton of fun tearing shit down when we first got the house and I found it amazing to see that people pay others to do that. I mean it is tough work. But pay for that when I can actually do it myself?! We might have to get a drywall crew though. Dang. That shit is so expensive.

Why is drywalling so expensive?
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836

We only used contractors for the roof and the basement. So far. Cav is doing all the rest on our house. It might take a bit longer, but it is amazing how much you can do yourself. We were having a ton of fun tearing shit down when we first got the house and I found it amazing to see that people pay others to do that. I mean it is tough work. But pay for that when I can actually do it myself?! We might have to get a drywall crew though. Dang. That shit is so expensive.

Why is drywalling so expensive?

Because it is truly the crappiest part of the job. But you very well might be able to do that yourselves as well.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    People keep saying that it is an art to do the mudding and taping. I don't even know what it exactly entails. I mean once the drywall is up, you are covering the seams and gaps with mud and then put tape on top, right? Then you let it dry and then you sand it. That can't be so hard to do... In theory :P

Another stupid question - I have been suffering from tennis elbow for more than 5 months now because I work on my computer for long hours on end. I have it on both arms. I am wearing a clasp all the time. I went to the doc at one point because it just wouldn't stop. He gave me diclofenac. It seemed to help for a while, but I don't like taking medication. Now I turned on to turmeric capsules cause I heard they are very good with inflammation. I cannot stop my job, but it is really rough. It is the worst in the mornings, gets better throughout the day. But I am never 100% with my grip. Does anyone have a good tip how to get rid of tennis elbow?
  • Options

People keep saying that it is an art to do the mudding and taping. I don't even know what it exactly entails. I mean once the drywall is up, you are covering the seams and gaps with mud and then put tape on top, right? Then you let it dry and then you sand it. That can't be so hard to do... In theory :P

Another stupid question - I have been suffering from tennis elbow for more than 5 months now because I work on my computer for long hours on end. I have it on both arms. I am wearing a clasp all the time. I went to the doc at one point because it just wouldn't stop. He gave me diclofenac. It seemed to help for a while, but I don't like taking medication. Now I turned on to turmeric capsules cause I heard they are very good with inflammation. I cannot stop my job, but it is really rough. It is the worst in the mornings, gets better throughout the day. But I am never 100% with my grip. Does anyone have a good tip how to get rid of tennis elbow?

You should research physio type exercises that you can do because that generally helps but also there is something called Serrapeptase, it is an enzyme that treats inflammation naturally. I have to be on it for my shoulders and my knee and it works really well. You can find it at most health food/natural stores.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Drywall is NOT easy. Taping us done by the following process: you do a thin layer of tacky mud down one seam, ( it's best to start from top side to side then work your way down the wall around the room, there IS a reason!)).. Then set tape along seam.. Thicker layer of mud soft, ( there's different terms for each consultancy up the way. Soft means not quite fully wet, which is full on mud.. When you say mud, there should be three parts water, it should be nearly soupy. When you apply mud, it's called slopping, so tacky mudding means your mixture is nearly dry, you're using as a glue if sorts.) so soft slop over tacked tape. Leave one roll width of tape plus one half inch clean space between intersecting corners. ( one quarter inch on each side, this is for your tack line, and then tape center. Full seams, meaning no breakage in your tape seam, runs side to side as your sheet rock meets in line to your ceiling, center, and floor. Gapped seams meaning tape seams that are broken up as Sheetrock meets floor ceiling to floor, are taped in sections. Always do your inside seams first, and border seams last. Tape center lines first, then outside working in. Then tape and mud your cornered borders. Ceiling and floor. Now. After you've tacked all these points and smoothly taped all seams, you pick up again on the center seam and mud over it, with your soft mix. This is the most difficult part, because unlike tacking, you have to use a putty knife. If you're too heavy handed, you tear the tape, and have to start all over again. BUT.. You also have to be quick, cause the moisture in even the tacked mud causes the tape ( it's paper) to sol or bubble, ruining the whole thing! So mud quickly, but gently.. Nearly an oxy moron.. But the salvation lies in the fact that you may sand it down to even later, so it doesn't have to be pretty. Center taped.. Move on to the outer gapped seams, sane thing, but be easy on the excess mud across your center seam! Do this outer edge to center.. Then.. Fuck this last part! I HATE drywalling! Lol doing corners. Especially inside corners( called inner rights) SUCKS!! But not nearly as bad of suck age as trying to tape and cut bull nosed corners! My advice, check out Home Depot, they can give you pointers and refer you to their DIY classes.. Best advice?? Pay professionals to do it! I did this for six years, it's a headache!!
  • Options
    I wish I could help with the tennis Elbow part. But all I know to do is find a feed store that sell Beigel Oil. It's a lineaments we used when our horses got tendinitis. It helps immensely, and I've used it on my own leg when I had my catastrophic injury. But I don't even know if they make it anymore..I will google that!
  • Options
    It is BigelOil, it's made by Absorbine..and it works!! It stimulates circulation. I googled it, and Amazon sells it!! Lmao Amazon.. They sell everything!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info!!! We'll have to see what the budget allows with the drywall. and I will look into BigelOil.
    I get my German coffee on amazon and also bought my range hood there. They do sell everything lol
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,729
    edited November 2014
    yellowwho said:

Why can a contractor/construction crew never maintain a deadline, I mean seriously I get that shit happens but to blow every freakin deadline by a month or more! WTF??????

Because whoever bid the job is operating in pretend time.

AKA: a time frame in which sounds reasonable to the costumer, who has no real idea how long the job will really take but it sounds good so they hand over the money thinking that their complete home remodel will take 16 hours to complete. But it's ok because the salesman bidding the job probably has no idea what he's even doing in the first place.
    Contractor time is kind of like hair stylist measurements. Just an inch = 3 inches. I just don't get it!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    PJ_Soul said:

yellowwho said:

Why can a contractor/construction crew never maintain a deadline, I mean seriously I get that shit happens but to blow every freakin deadline by a month or more! WTF??????

AKA: a time frame in which sounds reasonable to the costumer, who has no real idea how long the job will really take but it sounds good so they hand over the money thinking that their complete home remodel will take 16 hours to complete. But it's ok because the salesman bidding the job probably has no idea what he's even doing in the first place.
    Contractor time is kind of like hair stylist measurements. Just an inch = 3 inches. I just don't get it!!
    Hair stylists use the Man system I see
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

yellowwho said:

:)) My mind went directly to penises there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Lmao!!
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

yellowwho said:

:)) My mind went directly to penises there.
    Ha, not even penises..just a guy thing. I tell the wife I'm heading out for a beer (or having one more) it's always 3.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Sounds like that old Roseanne bit about men and maps :D

Maybe not a stupid question, but...is it wrong to have cereal for dinner two to four times a week?

(we're talking Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Raisin Bran and the occasional Cocoa Pebbles)
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Why the new shirt design remembered me this joke?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    hedonist said:

Maybe not a stupid question, but...is it wrong to have cereal for dinner two to four times a week?

(we're talking Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Raisin Bran and the occasional Cocoa Pebbles)

Depends is this every week or those weeks where you are just to tired and or unmotivated enough to care as long as you eat something?

Follow up question - do you mix all of these together or do you eat the individually on different nights?
    Post edited by northerndragon on

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I was surviving on Reeses Puffs cereal & cinnamon toast crunch for like a month. I miss old Apple jacks
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options

hedonist said:

Depends is this every week or those weeks where you are just to tired and or unmotivated enough to care as long as you eat something?

Follow up question - do you mix all of these together or do you eat the individually on different nights?
    Maybe every other week - my husband's new job gets him home later than when I typically need to eat, so yes to the tired-unmotivated thing. Like now, just had a bowl (and working on the other kind :D) and I feel so much better.

And no, no mixing of the cereals!

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    hedonist said:

"Men can read maps better than women… cause only the male mind could conceive of one inch equalling a hundred miles." -Rosanne.

As to the cereal for dinner, what would this guy say?
    :))
  • Options
    Oh for fuck's sake, Hobbes! I came *this* close to mentioning Seinfeld in that post.

Totally laughing here.

And yeah, Ident - haven't had the Jacks in ages but love them.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    OMG honeycomb!!! Do they still make them? I need a box.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Maybe every other week - my husband's new job gets him home later than when I typically need to eat, so yes to the tired-unmotivated thing. Like now, just had a bowl (and working on the other kind :D) and I feel so much better.

I think we may have found the source of your cereal addiction B-)

Also I now have a craving for apple cinnamon cheerios and there are none to be found in this house..... :-w

• Options

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

I think we may have found the source of your cereal addiction B-)

Also I now have a craving for apple cinnamon cheerios and there are none to be found in this house..... :-w
    Haha! I've been a long-time fan of both.

And Honeycombs! Brings back memories of the cerebral lyrics of their commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP2iT0ub8lc
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Well most people get a large portion of their nutritional needs at dinner. So just keep that in mind by making sure you're making up for that with breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and it doesn't make a difference. If you're simply replacing a good dinner with a bowl of cereal, that's not doing your body any favours nutritionally.
  • Options
    I thought it was breakfast/lunch?! Usually those meals are fairly healthy for me, but unless I've got something already prepared or ready to re-heat, dinner is kind of fuck it, kind of tired, not in the mood to cook after work.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I thought it was the other way around for most people! Dinner's usually the one meal pepole put serious effort into... I thought! Just me?
  • Options
    Could be a Canadian thing.

:D

Weekend dinners are another story! THOSE get serious effort and indulging.
  • Options
    Doesn't it say have breakfast like an emperor, lunch like a king, and dinner like a beggar?

Not that I am living like that, but I think I remember people saying it.
This discussion has been closed.