Options

Booing Bushleaguer

124»

Comments

• Options
    pjallipjalli Posts: 129
    pjl44 wrote:
    What's with the notion that if you don't support Bush, you should embrace this song? There's a lot of free-thinkers that don't have LIBERAL or CONSERVATIVE stamped on their forehead. While I don't support Bush, the Bush-bashing is unproductive and infuriatingly moronic.

Completely agree with the notion that you don't have to love the song just b/c you don't support Bush, but i think there's quite a difference between "not embracing" a song and actually booing the mere mention of it. At Irving, when given the chance to choose b/w SOLAT and Betterman, the crowd clearly cheered more for SOLAT, but certainly didn't boo Betterman. I guess that's a long way of saying that the people booing last night were most likely Bush supporters. And whether those people were Republicans or Libertarians or whatever, I'm surprised there were so many in that arena, just outside of NYC, with that perspective.
  • Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    I keep reading the words: disgusting, shocking, frustrating when it comes to Booing a crap song? I spent money at the show, I"m in an audience, I've got the right to boo something I don't like, just as PJ has a right to play what they want, but the main reason is:
    People, THE SONG SUCKS!!!!!! WWS covers all the angles 1000% better than bushleager, is better written, performed and it fucking rocks. I find it more scathing than "born on third thinks he got a triple, he's a bushleaguer" THe lyrics are AWFUL! They're EMBARRASSING!!!!
    I don't like Bush as president, I think he's the worst, I'd even call him 'evil' but I booed last night too, cos I think music should unite the people, not divide them(I'm the DECIDER!). And Ed keeps saying its a discussion, a debate? Then pass the fucking mic to everybody else. I respect PJ's politics, I know I'm gonna hear ramblings but THE SONG BLOWS! Play fucking Who You Are so I can sing and dance with whoever the fuck is next to me, Republican, Democrat, whatever the fuck. Enough with the CRAP song that pisses people off at a fucking CONCERT! not a debate.

well said my fried...wws is just as "anti-bush" as bushleaguer and its actually a great rocking song...bushleaguer is a turd of a song and that is why people don't want to hear it...
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,179
    pjalli wrote:
    Completely agree with the notion that you don't have to love the song just b/c you don't support Bush, but i think there's quite a difference between "not embracing" a song and actually booing the mere mention of it. At Irving, when given the chance to choose b/w SOLAT and Betterman, the crowd clearly cheered more for SOLAT, but certainly didn't boo Betterman. I guess that's a long way of saying that the people booing last night were most likely Bush supporters. And whether those people were Republicans or Libertarians or whatever, I'm surprised there were so many in that arena, just outside of NYC, with that perspective.

I hear ya, but, when a song smacks you in the face like that, it's bound to be divisive. Masters Of War and Worldwide Suicide are especially scathing and (to my knowledge) have never elicited a boo. I think when you reach up and punch one specific person, a lot of folks will feel as if it's piling on.
  • Options
    After the boo they asked seriously should we play it? and everyone fuckin cheered, it was a joke
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    JackisBackJackisBack Posts: 92
    1) Bu$hleaguer is an awesome song.

2) Some people were probably confused as to what Ed was asking.

3) I didn't hear any boos coming from the front sections.

4) Not surprised some people booed. It sounded like it started from the back.

5) The show was in Jersey. Please don't associate NJ with NYC.

6) If you know the New York area well...it's understandable why they booed at Uniondale. Please don't associate Uniondale with NYC.

7) If Pearl Jam had played MSG, then the cheers would've completely drowned out the very few boos.
  • Options
    Bu$hleaguer should be played 24/7 in front of the gate at the White House until we get a new President...but that's just IMO.
    Tell the captain 'This boats not safe and we're drowning.'
    Turns out he's the one making waves
  • Options
    GirlInRedGirlInRed Posts: 166
    your assertion that NY and NJ are liberal is right on. I remember a recent Gallup Zogby poll and something like more than half of New Yorkers thought Bush knew about 9/11 before it happened, and deliberately lied and failed to react.

The fact that these same people boo Bushleaguer is stunning. How can they love and hate Bush at the same time?

my son swears Bush CAUSED 9/11. there's a conspiracy doc @ loosechange.com that explians it all. very convincing
    there once was a note...LISTEN !
  • Options
    GirlInRedGirlInRed Posts: 166
    Stoney wrote:
    Eddie's shirt was a Plasmatics (indie band?) shirt and on the back was a swastica with a red line through it. The words said something to the effect of stamp out gestapo tactics. I was at the Uniondale show and it was an amazing show until bushleager was played. While I love the song and its message, nassau county is too close to the World Trade Center and it was not far enough removed from 9-11. Yes a good deal of Long Island leans right and many people in the region felt the effects of 9-11 more so than most of the country. It was harder to deal with because many people knew someone that was affected by the attacks. The shows energy turned so quickly it was amazing. I have never seen anything like it at a rock concert and I have been to many. It was one of the better shows I have been to and this kind of killed the good vibe and energy it had built up. I am fairly sure ed got hit by something (quarter?). After bushleager, they played a blistering version of know your rights which seemed to me like ed was giving the crowd the big fuck you. Unfortunately, they cut a few songs out of the set and finished with rockin in the free world which was also amazing. It was a great show, but could have been better if not for the assholes that threw shit. I am fairly sure ed would not have cared about being booed but once shit gets thrown at them, it crossed the line. I do not think they will ever play nassau county again. This is too bad because I live about 5 min from both the nassau col and Jones beach. That being said, they should never play anywhere but MSG when they come to this area. It is the most amazing place to see a show. The crowd energy is amazing.

the plasmatics are a punk band from the early 80's
    there once was a note...LISTEN !
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    1. The message of Bushleaguer is excellent. It is NOT an excellent song, it is a horrible one. Maybe some of you would rather hear it just because its a rarity, but get over the novelty of it - if played on an even remotely routine basis, it would become a piss break song.

2. If, in Uniondale, the band had simply played the song and NOT done the whole mask routine, Im sure people wouldn't have enjoyed the song (because it disrupts the flow os a good show), but I also seriously doubt that the disturbing incidents that ensued would have occurred. It isn't the song, its the act accompanying it that frankly offends even people who dont like Bush. Honestly I think its one of those songs that should never have been performed live - its a satirical rant that's filler on an otherwise very solid record. There's something about going out to catch some killer rock n' roll, having a total blast and then feeling like the person that's guiding you is suddenly - on a certain level - burning a flag. AND it was an extremely sensitive time for out country. Let the song protest, Ed.

3. Not to mention, as many have pointed out, the new album is way better at illuminating our country's current woes, and does so through the eyes of individual people's stories in a way that Ed and the boys are so damn good at. I think that's why people hate political speeches from Bono and EDd and the likke at rock concerts. i dont know that they dont want to hear it, I think people want to know what makes these guys any more qualified to stand there and lecture me on politics than any other person. And the answer to tghat is nothing, they're using their fame as a pulpit. However, people really relate to or at least arent bothered by an awesome song that makes a statement - that is something Ed and PJ are certainly well-qulaified to do.

3. All of that said, last night, all the boos came from the outer, upper deck. All of us on the floor were completely stunned and flabbergasted that there was as much booing as there was. Personally, I think Ed asked the question because he was certain there would be very few boos as Bush's approval ratings are so low. Why so many people booed is beyond me. In fact, I was yelling for him to play it because it kinda seemed like he wanted to.

4. Fact is, I cant condone booing the boys in any way. I feel like I'm a huge fan, and they've given me a ton, and Im certainly going to support their dersire to express what they want regarless of whether or not I agree with their politics. Im not gonna fucking boo them. When you buy a ticket, you do have the right to boo. In my opinion, booing should be hapening when the band sucks ass, or shows up too bombed to play. Otherwise, in my book, you're paying to listen to what they wanna say. you dont do that and say "never mind, shut up."
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    maybe they were saying "Booooooooom!"

...they were saying Booo... ...urns. Right, Smithers?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    clydefro wrote:
    At the NJ show tonight, Ed commented on the last time they were in the area that there was some unhappiness in the crowd when they played Bushleaguer (referencing the Uniondale '03 show). He then said they were not going to play that song tonight, but asked how many people would boo if they did. To my surprise, there were a very large number of boos. I don't understand how, after everything that has gone on in this country, people still feel a need to boo a song critical of GWB.

I was a little disgusted and uncomfortable at the crowd's reaction. I would have loved to tell the band that I'm sure plenty of people would welcome Bushleaguer and any other songs critical of this administration. The funny thing is that at the Nashville '03 show, people had no problem at all with the song and TN is a much more conservative state than NJ or NY. Anyway, I'm just a little stunned at the crowd's reaction tonight and confused.

Ed asked an honest question. The crowd gave an honest answer. It was probably less than half, but who knows...

I think it was really cool of Ed to ask.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    julesnjjulesnj Posts: 3
    Yeah I was there listening to the "boos" - I was pissed - I thought we had Freedom of Speech here in the good old USA - but I guess not - some jerk in behind me was even rude enough to scream "shut up & sing" what a friggin asshole he was - hope hes not there Sat night & I hope they play it - its a great song - and I wanted to hear it - but I have a small voice was in section 4 & no way anyone would of heard me give my vote.
    Later~~Jules...
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Ed asked an honest question. The crowd gave an honest answer. It was probably less than half, but who knows...

I think it was really cool of Ed to ask.

But I do believe they had absolutely no intention of playing it. I think Ed wanted to see how offensive the song seemed to people in the here and now, and truthfully, I think that even though few still like Bush, most dont care to have their PJ concery turn so overtly political as I discussed above.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I am surprised at that too. People are idiots, that's why they would boo. If people actually paid attention to what was going on in the world, ONE, they wouldn't have elected Bush (although it was probably stolen anyway), and TWO, they would be embarrassed as all hell like the rest of us are at this point. It pisses me off to see people that still have Bush Cheney bumper stickers on their cars at this point in history...I wanna scream at them ARE YOU REALLY PROUD TO ADMIT THAT YOU SUPPORTED HIM, AFTER EVERYTHING THAT'S GONE ON?!!! or DO YOU REALLY WANNA ADMIT BEING PART OF THE DUMBEST 29% OF THE COUNTRY RIGHT NOW?! Something like that.

We should all be embarrassed. And I admit, Bushleaguer is not the best song, so there are lots of other songs I'd rather hear than it. But those people that STILL support Bush, after everything, just need to wake up and admit they're wrong. It's not so hard to do.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    julesnj wrote:
    some jerk in behind me was even rude enough to scream "shut up & sing" what a friggin asshole he was - hope hes not there Sat night & I hope they play it - .

Oh hey, it's the same assholes from '03! I have the boot and I hate the guy screaming "Play some rock and roll!" Good to see they didn't let a little thing like putting down the president stop them from coming back to see their favorite band. Ha ha ha.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    ramblings6ramblings6 Posts: 24
    All last night, I was just hoping that the crowd misunderstood and that people were actually booing Bush and not the song. I know this is wishful thinking. I guess I'm just confused about how people can listen to an album like Riot Act or the Avocado (or even Binaural to some extent) when they do not agree with what is being said. I know there are people on these boards who don't agree politically with Pearl Jam, and I would like to understand how they can continue listening to a band that is so political when they don't agree with the message. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I'm just trying to understand.
    9/28/96, 9/8/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 5/03/03, 7/5/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 6/01/06, 6/03/06, 6/19/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 8/7/08 (EV solo)
  • Options
    samplersampler Posts: 19
    ramblings6 wrote:
    All last night, I was just hoping that the crowd misunderstood and that people were actually booing Bush and not the song. I know this is wishful thinking. I guess I'm just confused about how people can listen to an album like Riot Act or the Avocado (or even Binaural to some extent) when they do not agree with what is being said. I know there are people on these boards who don't agree politically with Pearl Jam, and I would like to understand how they can continue listening to a band that is so political when they don't agree with the message. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I'm just trying to understand.

i totally agree. to love pearl jam and be conservative is to be a fan that doesn't give a shit what the lyrics say.
  • Options
    JohnapjJohnapj Posts: 1
    Dont ya think the reason he did this was to open a debate kike he said. People have hiden agendas. And the crowd was confused I was on the floor. HE said wer not going to play it adn people booed and then when people were boing he said but if we were. He didnt make it clear cut. It ended with chears when he did finally make it clear cut. And rember outside of ny evry one who elected bush was because of his morals not his poliics check the records. it was plastere alll over cnn,fox, nbc,cbs...the reson because he loves jesus and he dont ant gays to marry. Got a rember if you dont live in the city or near one. You have a closed of view. Damn look at Ohio worst recession they ever had,no jobs. They still voted for Bush because...."HE loves jesus".
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,179
    ramblings6 wrote:

I think it means that some people are willing to respect others' viewpoints even when they disagree. A notion that is on life support in our current political climate...