Options

Booing Bushleaguer

clydefroclydefro Posts: 18
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
At the NJ show tonight, Ed commented on the last time they were in the area that there was some unhappiness in the crowd when they played Bushleaguer (referencing the Uniondale '03 show). He then said they were not going to play that song tonight, but asked how many people would boo if they did. To my surprise, there were a very large number of boos. I don't understand how, after everything that has gone on in this country, people still feel a need to boo a song critical of GWB.

I was a little disgusted and uncomfortable at the crowd's reaction. I would have loved to tell the band that I'm sure plenty of people would welcome Bushleaguer and any other songs critical of this administration. The funny thing is that at the Nashville '03 show, people had no problem at all with the song and TN is a much more conservative state than NJ or NY. Anyway, I'm just a little stunned at the crowd's reaction tonight and confused.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    maybe they were saying "Booooooooom!"
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    maybe they were saying "Booooooooom!"

yeah, I wish but it was definitely the crowd booing the idea of playing Bushleaguer and it was quite prominent
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    this surprises me as well. Every poll out there, pick your source right wing Fox News and Wall Street Journal to left wing commie Ny Times and ABC, NBC CBS, all have the approval rating on this war and Bush as extremely low and embarassing.

A clear majority of americans oppose this war, and although most think pulling the troops out now is bad, most oppose putting more troops in and staying.

It makes no sense 3 years into the war, 2500 lives lost, everything we were told about the war was a lie and people still boo Bushleaguer.

Its no wonder this war isnt over and people arent in the streets rioting.

We are too busy booing Bushleaguer

Give me a break. Wake up people!
  • Options
    PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255
    clydefro wrote:
    yeah, I wish but it was definitely the crowd booing the idea of playing Bushleaguer and it was quite prominent

yeah they were but the cheers for it were louder, when he asked who wanted to hear it

sucks, I would've loved to hear it
  • Options
    clydefro wrote:

maybe they just think it's a bad song, then :)
  • Options
    ohbigboyohbigboy Posts: 34
    I wasn't surprised by the boos. Disappointed but not surprised.
    The NY/NJ area is not as liberal as some make it out to be. New York City for the most part is very liberal but Northern NJ and Long Island actually tend to bend towards the right.
    Just waiting for my next show...
  • Options
    ohbigboy wrote:
    I wasn't surprised by the boos. Disappointed but not surprised.
    The NY/NJ area is not as liberal as some make it out to be. New York City for the most part is very liberal but Northern NJ and Long Island actually tend to bend towards the right.

Sean Hannity is from Long Island ...
  • Options
    your assertion that NY and NJ are liberal is right on. I remember a recent Gallup Zogby poll and something like more than half of New Yorkers thought Bush knew about 9/11 before it happened, and deliberately lied and failed to react.

The fact that these same people boo Bushleaguer is stunning. How can they love and hate Bush at the same time?
  • Options
    The cheers drowned out the boos when we realized they were warranted and that was the best part.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    fuck long island...fuck my hometown.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    and the fact they vote in Guiliani then Clinton is absurd. Both are right wing hacks.

Again, how can you hate when the band plays Bushleaguer and vote in clinton and guiliani, then overwhelmingly vote for Kerry and are against the war
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Sean Hannity is from Long Island ...

I hate that fuck...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    I remember a recent Gallup Zogby poll and something like more than half of New Yorkers thought Bush knew about 9/11 before it happened, and deliberately lied and failed to react.

if that's true ... then half of New Yorkers are fucking crazy.
  • Options
    they booed bushleaguer cuz its not a great song... and im pretty sure the last time they played CAA and i know so...was in 98 before G.W.B
    98- 9/8.9/10.9/11
    00- 8/3, 8/4, 9/1.9/2
    03- 4/28. 7/8. 7/9. 7/14
    04- 10/1
    05- 10/3
    06- 5/4!!!!, 5/12. 5/13. 5/27, 5/28, 6/1, 6/3
    08- 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/25, 6/27, 8/4
  • Options
    ohbigboyohbigboy Posts: 34
    they booed bushleaguer cuz its not a great song... and im pretty sure the last time they played CAA and i know so...was in 98 before G.W.B

When Ed was talking about "last time they were here" tonight, he really meant in the NYC area because he mentioned the Bushleaguer booing (Uniondale) and the Play Leash You Pussies (MSG).

But yes you are correct, last trip to CAA was '98
    Just waiting for my next show...
  • Options

come on, that's not the reason they booed it and Eddie was talking about the last time they played the area, not that particular venue
  • Options
    PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255

hey, were you sitting next to a couple in albany that lived in s plainfield?
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    clydefro wrote:
    At the NJ show tonight, Ed commented on the last time they were in the area that there was some unhappiness in the crowd when they played Bushleaguer (referencing the Uniondale '03 show). He then said they were not going to play that song tonight, but asked how many people would boo if they did. To my surprise, there were a very large number of boos. I don't understand how, after everything that has gone on in this country, people still feel a need to boo a song critical of GWB.

I was a little disgusted and uncomfortable at the crowd's reaction. I would have loved to tell the band that I'm sure plenty of people would welcome Bushleaguer and any other songs critical of this administration. The funny thing is that at the Nashville '03 show, people had no problem at all with the song and TN is a much more conservative state than NJ or NY. Anyway, I'm just a little stunned at the crowd's reaction tonight and confused.

I'm not surprised at all by the reaction. There are lots of PJ fans who are conservatives and also a lot of people who don't like the song. My friend who I was with at the show - she fit both of those qualifications and booed.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    I personally hate Bush, and I love the song.. Would not have mind hearing it.. At the time I think the crowd was confused cause Eddie said If you dont wanna hear it boo but it dosnt matter cause we are not playing it anyways.. So i am wondering if the crowd was booing because they didnt wanna hear it or because he said they were not going to play it anyways... and after the booing he said now cheer if you wanna hear it, and the cheers were overwhelming.. But like I said, I like the song and would have liked hearing it..
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    clydefro wrote:

i'd say that there's probably just as many bush supporters at the show as there are not. I guess because us Commies are the only ones that post on these board, we tend to think that everyone has similar political views. theres prolly 15-20 thousand people at the show. Most of those are casual fans that just want to go to a rock show. Anyways, fuck those motherfuckers
  • Options
    i would boo it just cuz i dont like the song. its really more of a spoken word hate letter to Bush. kinda boring. i pretty much consider myself a moderate (maybe leaning more to the left). the nonstop politics does get a little tedious after awhile.
  • Options
    homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219

amen to the first part of ur story! i was there didnt boo it but wouldnt have been in love if they played it! also i think part of the crowd was confused on what eddie was asking from them it was a kinda long story that he didnt seem to have a point to to be quite honest
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Anyone who boos Bu$hleaguer is a pu$$y.
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    MrSmith wrote:
    i would boo it just cuz i dont like the song. its really more of a spoken word hate letter to Bush. kinda boring.

It's kind of out of place on RA, but its pretty cool live. I saw the play it @ Seattle in '02 it was hilarious.
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161

Although i agree with Bushleaguer as a personal statement, it's not a good performance song. To be honest, I usually skip it. It's not a song known for musical quality. The majority of its lyrics aren't even sung, they're just spoken. It's not even like you can sing along with it. I would never in my life boo Pearl Jam because i can name about 200 great reasons not to, but I'd probably leave to take a piss if "Bu$hleaguer" came on and i had to go.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I think they should play Bushleaguer this tour! I dont think ed should care if the crowd boos or not. Its only a song and also I agree with the song ten fold...American should get over the fact that PJ are critical of the bsh admionistration. It was played in Australia with no problems... actually it almost sounded as if it bought cheers rather than boo's.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    cookiescookies Posts: 113
    He got his point across. The cheers were louder then the boos. But he also said before they played leash was. No matter what we do you guys still come LOL LOL LOL.

Cookies
    Cookies
    ôjô
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    cookies wrote:
    He got his point across. The cheers were louder then the boos. But he also said before they played leash was. No matter what we do you guys still come LOL LOL LOL.

Cookies

haha good point.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    halifax, 22/09/05...most recent performance of bu$hleaguer...

the introduction..."this song is about an asshole"

personally, i liked bu$hleaguer a lot live...the heavy parts sound awesome!...

Blackout weaves its way through the cities
    Blackout weaves its way through the cities
    Blackout weaves its way,...
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I think the Band should play what they want! what's the point of having protest songs if you're not playing them cause a few people don't want to hear them?! I wish they played it at DC, that would've been the best place for it...