Options

Booing Bushleaguer

Comments

• Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 512
    boos are halfassed cheers at pj shows now.. *shakes head*
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    clydefro wrote:
    At the NJ show tonight, Ed commented on the last time they were in the area that there was some unhappiness in the crowd when they played Bushleaguer (referencing the Uniondale '03 show). He then said they were not going to play that song tonight, but asked how many people would boo if they did. To my surprise, there were a very large number of boos. I don't understand how, after everything that has gone on in this country, people still feel a need to boo a song critical of GWB.

I was a little disgusted and uncomfortable at the crowd's reaction. I would have loved to tell the band that I'm sure plenty of people would welcome Bushleaguer and any other songs critical of this administration. The funny thing is that at the Nashville '03 show, people had no problem at all with the song and TN is a much more conservative state than NJ or NY. Anyway, I'm just a little stunned at the crowd's reaction tonight and confused.

No big deal...they just dont share the same political view as the band. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    I was there and that isn't the impression I got at all. It was hard to hear Eddie in the echoey conditions and with their pussy sound system, first of all. He said that the last time they played "Bushleaguer" in New York people booed, and then the crowd booed. The impression I got is that they were booing the old booers. Then he asked if we would like to hear it and the crowd cheered loudly. Then he mentioned the "Play Leash You Pussies" signs and said that it's amazing how the crowd boos and calls them pussies but they still come back for more. Then they launched into "Leash".

And then there was the genius behind me who screamed at me for shouting "BOOM". He wanted to know why I was booing the band. He should write a review like that other moron. Then he kept asking his friends what "Footsteps" was. I wanted to smack him upside the head.
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    You know where EV fucked up with this fantastically angry, lyrically brilliant, song? And if I ever, ever, get the chance to meet him, and after saying thanks for the music and all that, id tell him, id say "Err Ed, when you played Bushleaguer in 03, why the fuck did you have to accompany it by wearing stupid rubber masks and spearing them on your mic stand and all that shit? I mean, as the song goes, just let the song protest."

I believe that the morons who booed, were booing the defamation of the idol of America, the President, which is in some places akin to burning the flag. THey should have just got up there and sung the song, forget all that other bullshit. I hope they play it in europe, and I think its moronic to take a sign to a show asking for a song, but i think ill do one for bu$hleaguer!
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    2500 lives lost

2500 lives lost? Really? Oh...you mean American lives, right? O.k, now I get ya. Nevermind the estimated 100,000 - 700,000 Iraqi lives that have been 'lost' due to the illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    left wing commie Ny Times

Mate, if it is in fact true that the New York Times represents the extremity of left wing political thought in your country, then the U.S.A really is in trouble. I mean, if the perceived spectrum of acceptable debate in America extends merely between Fox news on the right and the New York Times on the left, then your country at this moment in time does not differ in any discernible way from that of 1930's Nazi Germany.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    maybe they just think it's a bad song, then :)

Hahaha...it is a bad song.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,387
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Mate, if it is in fact true that the New York Times represents the extremity of left wing political thought in your country, then the U.S.A really is in trouble. I mean, if the perceived spectrum of acceptable debate in America extends merely between Fox news on the right and the New York Times on the left, then your country at this moment in time does not differ in any discernible way from that of 1930's Nazi Germany.

Wow. Always love the kneejerk Nazi reference...bet you have one of those cool shirts with GW sportin' a Hitler moustache, too. Are those at Hot Topic yet?

Anyhow, I would say the differences start with the absence of concentration camps and move on down from there. Way to marginalize the Holocaust, douche.

By the way, Bu$hleaguer in Uniondale was spectacular. An incredibly charged performance and the tension in the building was unreal. I don't enjoy being blasted with non-productive political discourse, but you have to expect that from this band. If you go to a Pearl Jam show and boo their politics, then you haven't been paying attention the last 15 years.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    pjl44 wrote:
    If you go to a Pearl Jam show and boo their politics, then you haven't been paying attention the last 15 years.

Sure you have. Doesn't pearl jam want others to practice what they themselves preach? Speaking your mind.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Solat13 wrote:
    I'm not surprised at all by the reaction. There are lots of PJ fans who are conservatives and also a lot of people who don't like the song. My friend who I was with at the show - she fit both of those qualifications and booed.
    that song is awesome. id rather them deviate from the boring setlist since after boston 2
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,387
    Sure you have. Doesn't pearl jam want others to practice what they themselves preach? Speaking your mind.

Yeah, good point. I guess I'm just surprised when it shocks people.
  • Options
    wpost211wpost211 Posts: 124
    I was there (and at Nassau Col.) and I agree with those who say that the crowd was confused. It seemed like most didn't understand, and those who booed were booing the whole Nassau Col. incident. When the crowd finally cheered, I don't think they were cheering the non-playing of the song, but just supporting Eddie and the band.
    "there's a lot to be said for nowhere...."

1996 - Randall's Island II 1998 - MSG I
    2000 - Jones Beach II & III 2003 - Uniondale, MSG I & II
    2006 - E. Ruth I & II 2007 - Lollapalooza
    2008 - MSG I & II, Hartford 2009 - Philly IV
    2010 - Newark, MSG I & II
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,367
    maybe they were saying "Booooooooom!"
    They were saying "Booooooo-urns"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Poncier wrote:
    They were saying "Booooooo-urns"

DAMNIT You beat me to it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,367
    DAMNIT You beat me to it.
    And only by a minute. :D
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    oxypoetoxypoet Posts: 55
    pjl44 wrote:
    Wow. Always love the kneejerk Nazi reference...bet you have one of those cool shirts with GW sportin' a Hitler moustache, too. Are those at Hot Topic yet?

Anyhow, I would say the differences start with the absence of concentration camps and move on down from there. Way to marginalize the Holocaust, douche.

By the way, Bu$hleaguer in Uniondale was spectacular. An incredibly charged performance and the tension in the building was unreal. I don't enjoy being blasted with non-productive political discourse, but you have to expect that from this band. If you go to a Pearl Jam show and boo their politics, then you haven't been paying attention the last 15 years.

Speaking of Nazis, can someone explain to me the shirt Ed was wearing? I was in section 6, row O, so I couldn't make it out, but I could make out the shape of a swastika on the back. Now, I am intelligent enough to know that Ed is not a Nazi sympathizer, I am assuming it is a political shirt equating something current to a form of Nazism. I can see someone not understanding that, however, and thinking the opposite. I'm assuming there are some people here who were closer than me and can explain.

Btw, "Bushleaguer," admittedly is not a great song, but it is interesting and I would always love to hear something that is played rarely.
    7/9/03, MSG II
    5/4/06, Letterman Aftershow
    6/1/06, East Rutherford
    6/3/06, East Rutherford
    6/25/08, MSG II
  • Options
    StoneyStoney Posts: 4
    Eddie's shirt was a Plasmatics (indie band?) shirt and on the back was a swastica with a red line through it. The words said something to the effect of stamp out gestapo tactics. I was at the Uniondale show and it was an amazing show until bushleager was played. While I love the song and its message, nassau county is too close to the World Trade Center and it was not far enough removed from 9-11. Yes a good deal of Long Island leans right and many people in the region felt the effects of 9-11 more so than most of the country. It was harder to deal with because many people knew someone that was affected by the attacks. The shows energy turned so quickly it was amazing. I have never seen anything like it at a rock concert and I have been to many. It was one of the better shows I have been to and this kind of killed the good vibe and energy it had built up. I am fairly sure ed got hit by something (quarter?). After bushleager, they played a blistering version of know your rights which seemed to me like ed was giving the crowd the big fuck you. Unfortunately, they cut a few songs out of the set and finished with rockin in the free world which was also amazing. It was a great show, but could have been better if not for the assholes that threw shit. I am fairly sure ed would not have cared about being booed but once shit gets thrown at them, it crossed the line. I do not think they will ever play nassau county again. This is too bad because I live about 5 min from both the nassau col and Jones beach. That being said, they should never play anywhere but MSG when they come to this area. It is the most amazing place to see a show. The crowd energy is amazing.
  • Options
    eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    clydefro wrote:
    At the NJ show tonight, Ed commented on the last time they were in the area that there was some unhappiness in the crowd when they played Bushleaguer (referencing the Uniondale '03 show). He then said they were not going to play that song tonight, but asked how many people would boo if they did. To my surprise, there were a very large number of boos. I don't understand how, after everything that has gone on in this country, people still feel a need to boo a song critical of GWB.

I was a little disgusted and uncomfortable at the crowd's reaction. I would have loved to tell the band that I'm sure plenty of people would welcome Bushleaguer and any other songs critical of this administration. The funny thing is that at the Nashville '03 show, people had no problem at all with the song and TN is a much more conservative state than NJ or NY. Anyway, I'm just a little stunned at the crowd's reaction tonight and confused.

maybe they just don't like the song. :p i'm not a big fan of it, not because of the message, which i agree with wholeheartedly. i just don't like the spoken word bit. kinda smacks of barry white. :D and only barry white can be barry white... ;)
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    i don't think everyone heard ed correctly, I think thye were booing the idea of people booing, I know the knuckelhead in front of me was booing loudly, and had no idea why, cause then when everyone cheered he cheeered, I told him the deal, and he said he loved bushleaguer, and didnt mean to boo. People hear things differently at shows. it happens
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    Maybe they were booing because the song isn't very good.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    I would boo because I don't particularly like the song and there are plenty of other songs I would love to hear live instead. I love PJ and their shows because of their amazing music...not because they feel the need to shove their political diatribes down our throats like every other celebrity. That said, if Bushleager was a better song I'd probably like to hear it. Christ, play Dirty Frank instead and we'd all be happy.
    Buffalo '96, Merriweather '98, VFC (D.C.) '98, Jones Beach III '00, Buffalo '03, Camden I '03, MSG I & II '03, Albany '06, East Rutherford II '06, MSG II '08, MSG I '10
  • Options
    I don't think the crowd understood what Ed was asking them. I find it hard to believe that so many people would object to hearing a song critical of the president at this point in time. Polls confirm this.
    2008: 6/24, 6/25, 6/27
    2006: 5/14, 5/27, 5/31, 6/1
    2004: 10/1
    2003: 7/8, 7/9
    2000: 8/24, 9/2
    1998: 9/8, 9/11
    1996: 9/28, 9/29
  • Options
    I thought it was pretty clear what we were supposed to boo or cheer for. I didn't boo because I don't oppose the song, but I didn't cheer because I didn't want to hear it. I heard it in Boston last tour and it was kind of weak. I think Here's to the State of George W is a much better song musically and gets to the same point.
    .(...\................/....)
    . \....\............ /..../
    ...\....\.........../..../
    ....\..../´¯.I.¯`\..../
    ..../... I.....I....(¯ \
    ...I......I....I.....\...\
    ...I......I´¯.I´¯.I \...l
    ....\.....` ¯..¯ ´...../
    ......\__________/
  • Options
    rm2003rm2003 Posts: 4
    I would boo because I don't particularly like the song and there are plenty of other songs I would love to hear live instead. I love PJ and their shows because of their amazing music...not because they feel the need to shove their political diatribes down our throats like every other celebrity. That said, if Bushleager was a better song I'd probably like to hear it. Christ, play Dirty Frank instead and we'd all be happy.

10,000% agree with you.
  • Options
    Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    i love bushleaguer and was hoping it was going to be played in chicago. Maybe at Summerfest with Tom Petty!!!
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 282
    they should try this on the european-leg.
    i guarantee you there'll be no boooos at all, just people going crazy because we want to hear it. they are more than welcome to play it every night here because we really 'love' this fool!
  • Options
    f--k george bush,, they should play that every nite

f--k the republicans, they are all evil

And I was at that uniondale show and was disgusted by all the republic freaks who left and were booing
  • Options
    psuonepsuone Posts: 2
    I would have booed bc of the song and the political message. Liberals are basically moronic retards. The worst kind are on this board following PJ politics bc they are their favorite band.
  • Options
    f--k george bush,, they should play that every nite

f--k the republicans, they are all evil

And I was at that uniondale show and was disgusted by all the republic freaks who left and were booing

...and if we only had someone as intelligent, eloquent, and accepting of other people's views as you in the white house we'd be all set!!!!
    Buffalo '96, Merriweather '98, VFC (D.C.) '98, Jones Beach III '00, Buffalo '03, Camden I '03, MSG I & II '03, Albany '06, East Rutherford II '06, MSG II '08, MSG I '10
  • Options
    I loved when they played it at Uniondale. Eddie coming out wearing the mask and jacket is very amusing, and he says "I busted out the nice suit for you yeah". I hope they play it again,fuck people if they dont like it.