Options

Apple gives U2 album away for free...thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    U2's backup singers ...

• Options
    great album look forward to next yr's tour ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,448
    edited September 2014
    Hobbes said:
    Was going to say that it'll help their older albums. Didn't hurt that they were all on sale for $5
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

After one day Ive seen all over my twitter news feed- "Why do I have the new U2 album in my library?" Its genious. Think about it. Its already there, at least half of the people will listen to at least a song. What a better way to get exposure? In terms of the album its a bit of the same old but a nice listen. Now a days I think bands are gunna need to do stuff like this. Rock bands for that matter

Would you still feel the same way if Justin Berber/Taylor Swift/ did the same thing?

"here, you should try this new food product" *wrenches unsuspecting innocent soul's mouth open and shoves insane amount of food in it and forces poor soul to eat and swallow it*

Of course I'm playing devil's advocate, but I don't like when things are forced upon others whether they want it or not. I liked U2 back in the 80s-90s, but to be honest, I almost want to avoid listening to the album because it was forced upon me.
    Tom Petty is different, you had to buy tix to the show to get the album, so the people getting the album were already fans and going to the show, they didn't force the album on non-fans.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    33 million people have listened to the new album
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Great ! Its good music, no swearing no corruption no bad influence just pure heart and soul, listened to the album this is my third time and i love it, U2 will always be one of the biggest bands of the world despite what critism they get, and i think its great their back catalogues have been selling too, good on em they deserve it alone for their great activism
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    RKCNDY said:

After one day Ive seen all over my twitter news feed- "Why do I have the new U2 album in my library?" Its genious. Think about it. Its already there, at least half of the people will listen to at least a song. What a better way to get exposure? In terms of the album its a bit of the same old but a nice listen. Now a days I think bands are gunna need to do stuff like this. Rock bands for that matter

Would you still feel the same way if Justin Berber/Taylor Swift/ did the same thing?

"here, you should try this new food product" *wrenches unsuspecting innocent soul's mouth open and shoves insane amount of food in it and forces poor soul to eat and swallow it*

Of course I'm playing devil's advocate, but I don't like when things are forced upon others whether they want it or not. I liked U2 back in the 80s-90s, but to be honest, I almost want to avoid listening to the album because it was forced upon me.
    Tom Petty is different, you had to buy tix to the show to get the album, so the people getting the album were already fans and going to the show, they didn't force the album on non-fans.
    Forced??? Seems a bit extreme...

• Options
    RKCNDY said:

I wouldn't say it was forced. People have the choice not to listen.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    lukin2006 said:
    Problem solved....as easily as things can be given, it can also be taken away.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    This is just a clever and great deal for them...and as mostly always I will not go with what most people do and let the others run after it!
    I have to say I am really sad that it´s so perfectly clear all about money and sales figures that this alone is a reason to not buy the new album... with or without apple... It might be a good album but wtf is U2 really in need of that? Are they afraid of something?
    Oh and surely my opinion will polarise so ...let the details come...
    Oh and I agree to most of RKCNDY´s comment especially about J.B. and T.S. ! Then we would all shake the head and sneer about it...for sure...!
    Peace...maybe I should say that I liked U2 in the 80 and 90s too and like The Edge!?
    :)>-
  • Options
    In todays market where album sales are a fraction of what they use to be , should we be surprised that bands are looking for new ways to get their music out there? I don't see the big deal, Apple paid them handsomely and obviously have more in mind than just giving the album away, sponsoring the up coming tour maybe. It's obvious they don't need the money, heck most bands that have been around any length of time don't need the money ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    g under p said:

lukin2006 said:
    Problem solved....as easily as things can be given, it can also be taken away.

Peace
    Agreed ...

• Options
    Since when are people mad about free stuff?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

1st world problem ...

• Options
    RKCNDY said:

EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG lol
    Cause perhaps if you listened to the album you would have been enlightened but you didnt choose to, I should know, been listening most my life...got all the answers theres no silence on my part...
  • Options
    If the Foo Fighters did it, they would be praised
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    "iTunes is getting too invasive. Last night I woke up at 3am to find the new U2 album raiding my fridge." - Conan
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    ^ no
  • Options
    kce8 said:

^ no

igotid88 said:

If the Foo Fighters did it, they would be praised

• Options
    =)) great !

Just to make it clear: I don´t hate U2. I like lot of their stuff and I´m sure the new album is good.

But this apple deal was all I was questioning about !
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

:))
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    igotid88 said:

I wouldn't say it was forced. People have the choice not to listen.

but the album is in their itunes library, it wasn't their choice to put it there, and if people ween't so upset about it, why did apple have to release a tool to remove it?

I'm only thinking this way because religious people kept stuffing religious material thru my mail slot, so I taped it shut. I don't want that stuff, so don't put it in my house. Maybe I should collect it all and throw it on their doorstep...hmmm... :think:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited September 2014
    "if i bought a phone with u2 music on it i think i'd crap in my bed because i had nightmares" - bob my neighbor
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    chadwick said:

"if i bought a phone with u2 music on it i think i'd crap in my bed because i had nightmares" - bob my neighbor

:))

Funny. But Aw. U2 used to be amazing enough so that it carries them through all these years of crap without getting shit upon too much.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Just realised i posted in the wrong thread, what a twit i am ;))
    I want to know one thing child ? u2 why did it have to be so impressive.... ?
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    the new U2 album is sadly disappointing. I don't know how David Fricke at Rolling Stone was able to give it 5 stars. But its not surprising, he's got a track record of giving high marks to mediocre albums from one time superstars.

I think U2 had to know the record wasn't very good and no one was going to actually buy it. Someone in their management figured out this clever ploy to get Apple to pay for it. And here we are, U2 is 100 million richer and Apple 100 million poorer, but both parties with egg all over their faces.

Lesson learned: We know how to free music, we've been doing it for 15 years now. So, if you are gonna force free music on us, it better be damn good.
  • Options
    Your opinion stick with you only^
    I think the album is brilliant and the more you listen to it the better it gets, its not hard heavy rock you know and once it hits the airwaves their gonna sell