Options

Apple gives U2 album away for free...thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,639
    edited September 2014
    Listening now. 3 songs in.... It's not bad. Need time to absorb it, but so far I'm not NOT liking it.... but it certainly isn't stirring great emotion in me or anything.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited September 2014
    Thoughts: sounds like this same predictable thoughtless garbage they've released for the last 20 years. No wonder they partnered with Apple.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    The album is "free" to anyone with iTunes, but Apple paid U2 a substantial amount of money.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,291
    I agree... U2 seems to have settled on a sound and the albums made in the 21st century sort of sound similar and there's maybe 1 or 2 tracks from each that I really like (allthough I'm 4 songs into the new album and haven't heard one yet).

U2 Rocked the 80s and the Joshua Tree was phenomenal. Rattle n' Hum seemed to keep the same sound I dug that album. Achtung Baby is my absolutely favorite and sounded unlike anything they'd made before. Zooropa is an odd album, but my favorite U2 song is on it (Stay) and a number of other I like. It seemed to try and carry over the same vibe from Achtung. I liked POP quite bit too. Everyone thought it was a disco album because of the title track but it has really good songs and its own unique sound. Everything after that feels like U2 settling down on a sound.. like its become formulaic.

They're still pretty good live but that's because they put out really good albums for for almost 15 years straight. Lots of killer songs to choose from and engage the crowd with.

I'll have to give the new album another listen, but it seems almost as forgettable as the last one (at least the one before the last on (vertigo) had city of blinding lights and vertigo on it :) ).
  • Options
    CH139159 said:

The album is "free" to anyone with iTunes, but Apple paid U2 a substantial amount of money.

Well, Target paid Pearl Jam a lot for carrying Backspacer :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Thoughts: sounds like this same predictable thoughtless garbage they've released for the last 20 years. No wonder they partnered with Apple.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it garbage, but it does seem thoughtless and formulaic now. I'm going to stick with the older stuff! 1980 - 1991 they were awesome. I love all of their albums through Achtung Baby. After that era they pretty much totally fell apart, with only a few good songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and nothing good on the other 3 albums. Too early to say about the latest... have only half listened to it once. But nothing stood out.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    shit just looked at my library and there it is , thanks U2 still one of my fav bands of all time even though it's next to impossible to get tickets ...psyched to listen to it with headphones and stoned :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    Zod said:

I wonder how it would get counted. Just the people that bothered to download it, or does every copy given to every ITunes customer count (regardless if they wanted it or even liked u2 or rock music.. lol). If everyone counts they could shatter records. Aren't there something like 500m iTunes customers. I don't have have an apple device and I have an iTunes account (as there's some HD movies and stuff you can't find on bluray but are in HD on iTunes).

I was wondering about how it would be counted too. I'm sure we'll find out when the figures arrive at the end of the week!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,448
    BinFrog said:

igotid88 said:

Zod said:

What I was wondering is if every free copy counts as a sale, thus guaranteeing them a #1 album? It's sort of clever. Bands never made that much of albums sales anyways. U2 probably gets a chink for apple then back to its bread and butter of touring.

I wonder how they'll count it since ITunes has over 500 million customers. Will it be counted as 500 million or the actual downloads?
    If you go to a record store but do not buy anything, do they count it as a sale?
    True. But Apple went inside the shop and bought all the stuff and gave it away. But I guess from an earlier post Billboard and RIAA won't
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJ_Soul said:

CM189191 said:

I wouldn't go so far as to call it garbage, but it does seem thoughtless and formulaic now. I'm going to stick with the older stuff! 1980 - 1991 they were awesome. I love all of their albums through Achtung Baby. After that era they pretty much totally fell apart, with only a few good songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and nothing good on the other 3 albums. Too early to say about the latest... have only half listened to it once. But nothing stood out.
    You're right. "Garbage" was a little harsh. Definitely formulaic.

Want free music? I love http://thesteamengine.net

Btw, I love me some Garbage.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    I personally like the middle songs - Volcano, Raised By Wolves and Cedarwood Road.
    These remind me of the earlier U2 material.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,291
    BinFrog said:

If you go to a record store but do not buy anything, do they count it as a sale?

It's a bit philosophical. Are you walking out of the record store with a free item or are you walking out empty handed? If you walk out with a free cd, then they might have to record it in their inventory which probably wouldn't count as a sale. Even though the price is zero, I think it's still a sale because the customer accepted the item.

I think that would be fair in U2's circumstance. Eveyone who accepted the price of zero (free) and downloaded the item should count. Not every itunes customer.

Alternately if they really want to destroy records they could claim Apple bought 500 million copies and smash every record in the books.... lol. That sort of reminds me of the old English TV show red dwarf, where in an alternate timeline one the main characters becomes insanely rich and buys all the copies of his own album to make it #1 :) Ohmmm!
  • Options
    SPJSPJ BRIGANTINE BEACH Posts: 255
    I think it's a great idea, my guess is apple bought the digital album from them for a defined period and they receive a piece from whoever downloads within the timeframe. They still have the physical sales and rights to any royalties in the future. I've listened to it a couple of times and can hear the influence from danger mouse/ broken bells sound and also a little KOL type guitar in there. I thinks it's very good. My favorite track so far is The Troubles.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    SPJ said:

I think it's a great idea, my guess is apple bought the digital album from them for a defined period and they receive a piece from whoever downloads within the timeframe. They still have the physical sales and rights to any royalties in the future. I've listened to it a couple of times and can hear the influence from danger mouse/ broken bells sound and also a little KOL type guitar in there. I thinks it's very good. My favorite track so far is The Troubles.

Funny you say that, first time I heard I was said hmmmm what was that. It's now slowly becoming one of my favorites. The song.......This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now is my favorite so far. This one their best albums since ABaby, seems they went back to their early musical beginnings which I've begging for them do for years.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I see new fans coming, great idea
  • Options

CH139159 said:

Well, Target paid Pearl Jam a lot for carrying Backspacer :)
    Yes, but you still had to pay for the physical product.
  • Options
    After one day Ive seen all over my twitter news feed- "Why do I have the new U2 album in my library?" Its genious. Think about it. Its already there, at least half of the people will listen to at least a song. What a better way to get exposure? In terms of the album its a bit of the same old but a nice listen. Now a days I think bands are gunna need to do stuff like this. Rock bands for that matter
    Wrigley 2013 Cinci 2014
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I have a work iphone with no music and there it is ... a U2 album.
    :|
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I think I will listen to the new album for a couple of weeks and then get back to the first four plus A... Baby. But it's cool that Lykke Li is on the album.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    imo sea/kat should have moved this to other music and not aet
  • Options
    I listened to the whole thing last night while power walking and it was fantastic listen i really like it its new music new sounds ....
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I like the album .... Certainly better than their last one, and hope this signals a tour soon.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    There will be a world wide tour beginning in the summer of 2015. Can't wait. Hope I get to see them.
  • Options
    bluegrace said:

There will be a world wide tour beginning in the summer of 2015. Can't wait. Hope I get to see them.

Tickets are so hard to get that's one of the reasons i gave up on this band yrs ago , saw them a bunch of times in early 80's but once Joshua tree exploded it was next to impossible to get tickets i hope to see them next tour ....
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Jose, you may be in luck; I got tix on the 360 tour rather easily. Hopefully that wasn't just a fluke.
  • Options
    Haven't had the chance to see U2 yet. Will definitely be there next tour no matter what.
  • Options

Jose, you may be in luck; I got tix on the 360 tour rather easily. Hopefully that wasn't just a fluke.

I hope your right buddy i hope your right ...
  • Options
    justam said:

Zod said:

I wonder how it would get counted. Just the people that bothered to download it, or does every copy given to every ITunes customer count (regardless if they wanted it or even liked u2 or rock music.. lol). If everyone counts they could shatter records. Aren't there something like 500m iTunes customers. I don't have have an apple device and I have an iTunes account (as there's some HD movies and stuff you can't find on bluray but are in HD on iTunes).

I was wondering about how it would be counted too. I'm sure we'll find out when the figures arrive at the end of the week!

No, downloads of the album in the next coming few weeks (until the physical copies are released on October 14th) do not count towards the Billboard charts. This because the album isn't generally available as it's exclusive to iTunes for now.
    For that reason nothing from the album qualifies to be included for the upcoming Grammy awards early next year (provided it would merit a nomination) as that one apparently also has as a criteria that the song/album has to be commercially available, which isn't until after the cutoff date (September 30th).

BTW, I see that amounts of up to $100 million are being mentioned for this U2/Apple deal. Don't believe those that say that Apple is paying U2 that much for the album. The actual amount to 'buy' the album for an exclusive 5-week period is much lower (my guess it's more around $10 million, though I now think it might be a bit more). The $100 million number is for the complete marketing campaign that Apple has for the iPhone/iWatch that features U2. So it also includes the cost for any videos (like the new commercial) and buying advertising time to show those videos.
    Still, it's a nice lump sum for U2 to have worldwide exposure with their new album.
  • Options
    ^^ Interesting. From where do you get the info?
  • Options
    bluegrace said:

^^ Interesting. From where do you get the info?

Which information specifically are you wondering about. The info about the downloads charting and the Grammys are from a Billboard article. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6244166/u2-songs-of-innocence-excluded-from-next-grammys
    That article also has some info on the money being thrown around.
    The exact payment of what U2 gets by having it an Apple iTunes exclusive for 5 weeks is not known, so what I mention is just my speculation.