Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    OnWis97 said:

You might be surprised as to how many high profile black individuals report still being regularly stopped and hassled by police. I’m seeing stories about this regularly in the media lately. Being wealthy and even relatively famous doesn’t mean this stops. 

I can’t remember who it was but recently a Black musician posted a story about how often he is stopped when he’s out in his expensive sports car and the general disbelief of the police that he is actually the legal owner. 
    Often, I get it and I read it too and that is part of the point though.  Being pulled over and profiled is different to me than being hunted down and killed but if it is done a certain way then I can see it that way.

I'm thinking about this more and empathizing.

I think that if I were being repeatedly stopped by police when I was doing nothing wrong, simply because they assumed I was a thief or worse because of the colour of my skin, I might start to feel hunted. And each time I was stopped by police I’m sure there would be massive anxiety - what if this is the one? What if this cop is the guy who misinterprets me reaching for my ID as reaching for a gun, what if this is the time that he barks contradictory orders and then decides I’m not complying? What if this is the time the cop shoots? Then I would definitely feel hunted. 
    @oftenreading I took your advice and decided to talk to one of my buddies about this.  I literally had no idea what POC go through when they are pulled over.

We had a long and deep conversation about a few things.  He thanked me after for asking the questions I did and I want to thank you also for challenging me.

I think this is a good example of why we need more, not less, dialog on race.  It's a nice thought that we should not be overly-focused on it and that we should try not to make it an issue.  But I don't think it's realistic.  I suspect you went into that conversation with some discomfort, which is OK.  We need to be uncomfortable at times.

Race is always an issue...that doesn't mean that people are always racist...but it's the elephant in the room.

I've been friends with him for years and get along great but, yes.  I was uncomfortable because and felt awkward asking the question.

He mentioned that he understands that I don't see race and that I see him but, there are people out there that just can't get past it.  That is something that I have a hard time understanding...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    OnWis97 said:
    Kyle Rittenhouse clearly wanted to be a cop.  He's 17 and maybe he'd have changed, but his social media posts were all about the thin blue line. And, of course, he drove 30 miles to play cops and robbers.

So a point I made, badly, in another thread is that I think there are a lot of people like this that want to get into law enforcement.  They dream of getting to "enforce" but not really of "protecting" and "serving."  A suprising number of people in the Twittersphere are praising him.  That said, a lot of people, even Blue Lives Matter, recognize that 1) he broke gun laws and 2) he was an idiot that was in wayyyy over his head.  He blew it.  But imagine 10 years from now; he goes "huntin'" for someone to shoot in cold blood.  Most of the "back the blue" folks would love him and tell us to imagine being in his shoes.  What we would not know was that he'd be preparing for a career in white nationalism for much of his childhood.  And he'd be a hero to the entire right and the Blue Backers.  When in reality, all he has ever been is a kid who wanted to live in a video game based on a very superficial understanding of what policing is, or at least should be.  This kid was PUMPED about shooting people.  But how many kids his age are pretty much the same, except they're passing their time with sports and social lives?  In five or ten years when they're cops are they really going to be different.

In short, how do police departments become less Rambo and more Officer Friendly?  Rambo wants the job.  Officer Friendly wants to be a school counselor.
    Better background checks and screening.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,840

You might be surprised as to how many high profile black individuals report still being regularly stopped and hassled by police. I’m seeing stories about this regularly in the media lately. Being wealthy and even relatively famous doesn’t mean this stops. 

I can’t remember who it was but recently a Black musician posted a story about how often he is stopped when he’s out in his expensive sports car and the general disbelief of the police that he is actually the legal owner. 
    Often, I get it and I read it too and that is part of the point though.  Being pulled over and profiled is different to me than being hunted down and killed but if it is done a certain way then I can see it that way.

I'm thinking about this more and empathizing.

I think that if I were being repeatedly stopped by police when I was doing nothing wrong, simply because they assumed I was a thief or worse because of the colour of my skin, I might start to feel hunted. And each time I was stopped by police I’m sure there would be massive anxiety - what if this is the one? What if this cop is the guy who misinterprets me reaching for my ID as reaching for a gun, what if this is the time that he barks contradictory orders and then decides I’m not complying? What if this is the time the cop shoots? Then I would definitely feel hunted. 
    @oftenreading I took your advice and decided to talk to one of my buddies about this.  I literally had no idea what POC go through when they are pulled over.

We had a long and deep conversation about a few things.  He thanked me after for asking the questions I did and I want to thank you also for challenging me.

I appreciate you letting me (us) know, but much more I appreciate that you had the conversation you had, even though it meant leaving the comfort zone. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    edited August 2020
    Speaking of discomfort...
    I have only watched a couple of these and they were pretty good.  The idea behind this is certainly good...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,869
    It is incredible that people are coming to the defense a fucking murderer. MURDERER. they hate BLM so much that they defend A MURDER. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It is incredible that people are coming to the defense a fucking murderer. MURDERER. they hate BLM so much that they defend A MURDER. 
    This hasn't been about right and wrong or the law for a while.  This is a culture war.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    This hasn't been about right and wrong or the law for a while.  This is a culture war.

i've never seen people, not even fox news, cozy up to a murderer. never. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,261
    OnWis97 said:

It's insane. I can't believe what I'm hearing in person or reading on here. If we had a human being as a president, there would have been a statement condemning the violence and murder in the streets, but he won't say anything because he knows his base supports the white shooter and white cops. If nothing else, he'll play some sort of both sides argument.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    tbergs said:
    OnWis97 said:

It's insane. I can't believe what I'm hearing in person or reading on here. If we had a human being as a president, there would have been a statement condemning the violence and murder in the streets, but he won't say anything because he knows his base supports the white shooter and white cops. If nothing else, he'll play some sort of both sides argument.
    Tucker, Fucker, whatever, Carlson proclaimed that Kyle Rittenhouse maintained order when no one else would. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    OnWis97 said:

ann coulter literally said on twitter she wished the murderer were her president. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

tbergs said:
    OnWis97 said:

ann coulter literally said on twitter she wished the murderer were her president. 
    He's too young.  2036, Rittenhouse over...well nobody.  He'll just be appointed.

Saying outlandish things to keep herself, uh, "relevant" is her thing. But she definintely outs herself as supporting this guy.  He's becoming a folk hero.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,840
    They just say this sort of shit with the goal of “making liberal heads explode”. Not an uncommon purpose, though a pointless one. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    They just say this sort of shit with the goal of “making liberal heads explode”. Not an uncommon purpose, though a pointless one. 
    that one was two fold. she's turned on trump because of his failure to build the wall. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    that one was two fold. she's turned on trump because of his failure to build the wall. 
    Some conservatives turned on Trump but she's in a small group that turned on him for not being draconian enough.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    Nobody should be cozying up to this kid or praising his efforts. He shouldn’t have been there to begin with.
    But I've gone back and forth with Rittenhouse as new videos emerge. The only thing I know for sure is it isn't a slam dunk murder or self defense case based on what I've seen. And that no 17 year old should have been running around like that.

I said before the second shooting he is clearly running away and they are clearly attacking him, but maybe they had reason to. It all depends on that first shooting.

I only saw the one video that only has a second or 2 before the first shooting, so not much to go on. Now I saw another video of that first shooting from the other side of the parking lot. There was definitely other people with guns shooting and several people chasing him as he was clearly running away. Still leaves questions, what were the other shooters shooting at? Why were they chasing him?
    Before I could call it self defense or murder I’d want to know more what was going on in the moments leading up to the first shooting.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Nobody should be cozying up to this kid or praising his efforts. He shouldn’t have been there to begin with.
    But I've gone back and forth with Rittenhouse as new videos emerge. The only thing I know for sure is it isn't a slam dunk murder or self defense case based on what I've seen. And that no 17 year old should have been running around like that.

I said before the second shooting he is clearly running away and they are clearly attacking him, but maybe they had reason to. It all depends on that first shooting.

I only saw the one video that only has a second or 2 before the first shooting, so not much to go on. Now I saw another video of that first shooting from the other side of the parking lot. There was definitely other people with guns shooting and several people chasing him as he was clearly running away. Still leaves questions, what were the other shooters shooting at? Why were they chasing him?
    Before I could call it self defense or murder I’d want to know more what was going on in the moments leading up to the first shooting.
    So what’s the excuse for the cops to not have detained him when he goes running up to the vehicles? Fact of matter is that if this kid was a black kid running up to the cop vehicles strapping a long rifle the kid most likely doesn’t make it home to sleep in his own 🛌..
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    mace1229 said:

So what’s the excuse for the cops to not have detained him when he goes running up to the vehicles? Fact of matter is that if this kid was a black kid running up to the cop vehicles strapping a long rifle the kid most likely doesn’t make it home to sleep in his own 🛌..
    I thought that was strange at first. But after watching a lot of other clips from that night there were dozens of people running around armed. I don’t think that should have been allowed or encouraged, but they’ve been allowing looting and lawlessness for months in some cities, so not surprising.
    So why would they stop one person with a rifle when dozens of others were doing the same thing? I doubt they knew what had just happened seconds earlier at that point. So I don’t think there’s anything weird about them not arresting him right there. And doubtful with everything going on they could hear people yelling to arrest him.
    I do think it’s weird and a poor move that earlier that night they were thanking the armed militia and passing out water.
  • Options
    https://www.outkick.com/whitlock-lebron-james-is-a-bigot/

“ I’m black. I’m not scared. I’m not terrified. Neither is LeBron James. He’s lying. He and the political activists controlling him want black people to immerse themselves in fear. Fear is a tool used to control people. If you comply with police instructions, there is virtually no chance of an American citizen being harmed by police.” - Jason Whitlock.  See context in article linked above. 

https://www.outkick.com/whitlock-milwaukee-bucks-black-athletes-can-no-longer-afford-to-just-do-it/

“ If there’s no plan, there’s no progress. If there’s no strategy, there’s no progress.” - Jason Whitlock.  See context in article linked above 

this place is the same type of toxic echo chamber.  Enjoy yourselves. 

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181

“ I’m black. I’m not scared. I’m not terrified. Neither is LeBron James. He’s lying. He and the political activists controlling him want black people to immerse themselves in fear. Fear is a tool used to control people. If you comply with police instructions, there is virtually no chance of an American citizen being harmed by police.” - Jason Whitlock.  See context in article linked above. 

https://www.outkick.com/whitlock-milwaukee-bucks-black-athletes-can-no-longer-afford-to-just-do-it/

“ If there’s no plan, there’s no progress. If there’s no strategy, there’s no progress.” - Jason Whitlock.  See context in article linked above 

we will, thank you ;)
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
  • Options
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Some conservatives turned on Trump but she's in a small group that turned on him for not being draconian enough.

i know. she's a scary human being. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2020

yeah, you say that every time you decide to poke your head in here for two seconds. we get it. 

no one cares. 

edit for rudeness
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,747
    Apparently they did try to tase Blake twice, but it didn't work...

https://www.doj.state.wi.us/news-releases/update-kenosha-officer-involved-shooting-1
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    static111 said:
    This is precisely why some of us favor reallocation of funds currently budgeted to police departments. They should be funneled into mental health services, and mental health workers should either be accompanying cops on these sorts of calls, or taking the lead with a cop on stand-by. Cops are not trained drug abuse counselors. Cops are not trained mental health professionals. Cops have no business taking the lead on these sorts of things. This is one aspect of the "defunding" movement I am 100% behind. Defunding is such a shitty word for it, because it isn't simply stripping money from PDs and downsizing them, it is reallocating funds and focusing that money properly. 911 call centers could just as easily dispatch a mental health team as they currently decide to dispatch fire, rescue, police, medics, etc... But it would require an organization be build around rapid mental health response. I, personally, would also move 911 call centers out from the PD budgets and organizations, move parking enforcement out from under them, etc.. There are a number of ancillary things they do that they don't need to be doing. Shrink their budgets and shrink their scope of responsibility. Allow them to be better focused on the protect and serve aspect of community policing. Get their asses out of cars and out walking the beat talking to neighbors and businesses. Let them have a community presence where they are working with the communities rather than being an adversary. That also means stop dressing like they're gearing up for an overseas tour of combat duty. I'd love to see the defunding label called something more accurate and reasonable and most importantly palatable to the general public.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Yeah, what a monumental blunder. Not saying it would convince those that are dug in but some sort of “share the load” message would’ve cut through so much better. Instead you give the right one giant rallying cry. 
  • Options
    I just watched a video of a black guy with his hands at the back of his head, standing perfectly still, complying with officers as they surrounded him. one of them then jumpkicked him in the fucking back, causing him to turn around and be like "WTF?" so then the cops start tackling him and beating him for "resisting". then his girlfriend, filming from their car, gets choked by another officer before the video stops. 

yeah, just comply. 

UNREAL. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.