Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,689
    And some wonder why more people don’t go to the police or court when they want to dispute the injustice of a ticket or some other motor vehicle moving violation? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,032
    edited August 2020

Holy shit, police officers  retaliated against someone who filed a complaint and you guys are focusing on the dollar amount of the damage they inflicted to his property? 
    🤣

Who's focusing on that? All I said was the punishment was fair for $500 of damage. That's hardly focusing on the amount. I got the $500 from the article, so I guess they are focusing on the amount too because it was mentioned? And I even agreeing they got what they deserve.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,874
    mace1229 said:

Holy shit, police officers  retaliated against someone who filed a complaint and you guys are focusing on the dollar amount of the damage they inflicted to his property? 
    🤣

Who's focusing on that? All I said was the punishment was fair for $500 of damage. That's hardly focusing on the amount. I got the $500 from the article, so I guess they are focusing on the amount too because it was mentioned? And I even agreeing they got what they deserve.
    my bad. i thought you were being sarcastic. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:

🤣

No worries. Cops who vandalize a car because of a complaint (or any reason really) shouldn't be cops or any other public job in any city. The punishment fits.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,940
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

No worries. Cops who vandalize a car because of a complaint (or any reason really) shouldn't be cops or any other public job in any city. The punishment fits.
    I would imagine they also lost their state pension.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

Maybe, but I'd disagree with that on principle. This came up a few weeks ago. Its their money, the government shouldn't have a right to take it. They don't take away someone's 401k because of a minor crime. If they want to take away a pension, refund all they put into it with interest. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

Maybe, but I'd disagree with that on principle. This came up a few weeks ago. Its their money, the government shouldn't have a right to take it. They don't take away someone's 401k because of a minor crime. If they want to take away a pension, refund all they put into it with interest. 
    I didn’t think of it like that, good point. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    “Just comply with everything the police ask you to do and then file a complaint later”.

Seems like just yesterday that was the advice on here. I’m sure it will all work out just fine. 
    I'd still give that advice. If a cop has a gun pointed at you'd I'd still say follow directions. Who had a better ending? Blake or this guy who is going to get his cars fixed by the city and probably a lot more?
    Not to mention he was still able to show light on some of the problems and probably invoke some change in the system without giving up his life to do so.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    edited August 2020
    If a cop has a gun pointed at me, I'm going to try to keep myself alive...though I think my genes have me 90% covered.  That said, while it's true that being a cop is difficult and includes split-second decisions, being apprehended by one is similarly difficult.  Most people have never been in that position. Fight, flight, or freeze.  I'm kind of a "freeze" guy, which I don't love about myself, but might serve me well in such a scenario. But for anyone, that's a stressful, unusual situation.  And if you're black? Then (even if it's untrue, which it's not) you're told you have all this other stuff to worry about.  You might get shot or beaten or choked.  Maybe that's why people run; it's not a rational decision, but it's difficult to be rational in those high-pressure, unusual situations.

mace1229 said:
    “Just comply with everything the police ask you to do and then file a complaint later”.

Seems like just yesterday that was the advice on here. I’m sure it will all work out just fine. 
    I'd still give that advice. If a cop has a gun pointed at you'd I'd still say follow directions. Who had a better ending? Blake or this guy who is going to get his cars fixed by the city and probably a lot more?
    Not to mention he was still able to show light on some of the problems and probably invoke some change in the system without giving up his life to do so.

Not me (regarding the file a complaint part).  I can't even imagine the situation in which I'd file a complaint about a police officer.  They're a pretty thin-skinned bunch.  I'm not surprised they vandalized a guy's car in retribution.  I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a beat down, regardless of race. When the Minnesota Lynx (that's a WNBA team) wore BLM t-shirts (that included names and the Dallas PD, who'd recently had cops murdered), the Minneapolis PD refused to work their games. What a bunch of snowflakes.  Their job is to protect and serve, even blacks and liberals.

I hate the term "de-fund" because people don't get it. But some serious reform is in order.  For example, if you have not heard the name Kyle Rittenhouse, yet, look him up.  He's a 17-year old kid who drove 30 miles to Kenosha with some kind of AR-15 or something (sorry; not a gun guy).  He shot a few people.  Some say it was self defense (with some video evidence) and other say he shot someone before he was chased down.  But that's not even the point.  The point is that his social media is all about backing the blue and he drives 30 miles looking for an excuse to shoot someone.  And all appearances are that he wants to be a cop. How do change the mentality of who becomes police officers?  Because this kid isn't looking forward to the day he can get a cat out of a tree; he's looking forward to the day he can legally shoot someone.  Meanwhile, the reforms I'm thinking about are going to take a generation to take hold.  I don't blame Black America for saying fuck that; I want to feel safe right now.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

This isn’t a minor crime. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

Exactly
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

Crimes that don't require jail time I consider minor. I don't know if there is a legal definition for that or not. But whether you find it minor or not, I still don't think the government should seize your money or assets unless it is for retribution or they were obtained through illegal means, but not as part of a punishment.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,687
    OnWis97 said:
    If a cop has a gun pointed at me, I'm going to try to keep myself alive...though I think my genes have me 90% covered.  That said, while it's true that being a cop is difficult and includes split-second decisions, being apprehended by one is similarly difficult.  Most people have never been in that position. Fight, flight, or freeze.  I'm kind of a "freeze" guy, which I don't love about myself, but might serve me well in such a scenario. But for anyone, that's a stressful, unusual situation.  And if you're black? Then (even if it's untrue, which it's not) you're told you have all this other stuff to worry about.  You might get shot or beaten or choked.  Maybe that's why people run; it's not a rational decision, but it's difficult to be rational in those high-pressure, unusual situations.

mace1229 said:

Not me (regarding the file a complaint part).  I can't even imagine the situation in which I'd file a complaint about a police officer.  They're a pretty thin-skinned bunch.  I'm not surprised they vandalized a guy's car in retribution.  I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a beat down, regardless of race. When the Minnesota Lynx (that's a WNBA team) wore BLM t-shirts (that included names and the Dallas PD, who'd recently had cops murdered), the Minneapolis PD refused to work their games. What a bunch of snowflakes.  Their job is to protect and serve, even blacks and liberals.

I hate the term "de-fund" because people don't get it. But some serious reform is in order.  For example, if you have not heard the name Kyle Rittenhouse, yet, look him up.  He's a 17-year old kid who drove 30 miles to Kenosha with some kind of AR-15 or something (sorry; not a gun guy).  He shot a few people.  Some say it was self defense (with some video evidence) and other say he shot someone before he was chased down.  But that's not even the point.  The point is that his social media is all about backing the blue and he drives 30 miles looking for an excuse to shoot someone.  And all appearances are that he wants to be a cop. How do change the mentality of who becomes police officers?  Because this kid isn't looking forward to the day he can get a cat out of a tree; he's looking forward to the day he can legally shoot someone.  Meanwhile, the reforms I'm thinking about are going to take a generation to take hold.  I don't blame Black America for saying fuck that; I want to feel safe right now.
    Holy f'n s&*^ Batman.   The video posted shows that Rittenhouse guy shoot people on the street and then walk towards the police with his gun.... and the police literally drive past him. 

I know this is sounding old.. but America has some serious problems right now. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Kyle Rittenhouse, 17, charged with murder after two killed during Wisconsin protests

Kyle Rittehouse, 17, has been charged with murder over the killings on Tuesday night in Kenosha

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/26/kyle-rittenhouse-17-charged-murder-two-killed-wisconsin-protests/amp/
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,533

Nothing should surprise me anymore, but the apologism here for crooked cops is fucking mind blowing.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,843
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

Crimes that don't require jail time I consider minor. I don't know if there is a legal definition for that or not. But whether you find it minor or not, I still don't think the government should seize your money or assets unless it is for retribution or they were obtained through illegal means, but not as part of a punishment.
    A public servant, who has sworn to uphold the law and protect the public, violates their oath and is in dereliction of their duty by retaliating against a citizen, and you think that’s “minor”? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Who's apologizing today? Not one person defending the vandalism or anything else today.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

A public servant, who has sworn to uphold the law and protect the public, violates their oath and is in dereliction of their duty by retaliating against a citizen, and you think that’s “minor”? 
    I feel the punishment fit the crime, would you want them to have jail time?

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

Right?! Let’s make sure we contribute to these shitbags’  comfy retirements. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣

Do I think its a big deal that cops retaliated against a complaint? Absolutely. 
    I already said I used the word "minor" loosely, in that I consider non-violent crimes that don't require jail time to be minor crimes. That doesn't mean it isn't a big deal. I already said the punishment was justified. What more are you looking for?
  • Options
    Who’d they snatch and where’d they take them? Welcome to Team Trump Treason’s Amerikkka. Why the unmarked vehicles. Don’t they normally transfer to local PO PO for transport? You know transparency?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,484
    edited August 2020
    ^^Yes, a lot of questions with that video^^^
  • Options
    And, I think I saw Pennywise in the storm drain.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Biggest question I have about that video is why do people film with their phone vertical?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Biggest question I have about that video is why do people film with their phone vertical?
    Too used to facetiming.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,874
    mace1229 said:
    drives me nuts. my wife does the same every time she's taking a video of something. I always ask her "is our tv fucking vertical?". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,111

You might be surprised as to how many high profile black individuals report still being regularly stopped and hassled by police. I’m seeing stories about this regularly in the media lately. Being wealthy and even relatively famous doesn’t mean this stops. 

I can’t remember who it was but recently a Black musician posted a story about how often he is stopped when he’s out in his expensive sports car and the general disbelief of the police that he is actually the legal owner. 
    Often, I get it and I read it too and that is part of the point though.  Being pulled over and profiled is different to me than being hunted down and killed but if it is done a certain way then I can see it that way.

I'm thinking about this more and empathizing.

I think that if I were being repeatedly stopped by police when I was doing nothing wrong, simply because they assumed I was a thief or worse because of the colour of my skin, I might start to feel hunted. And each time I was stopped by police I’m sure there would be massive anxiety - what if this is the one? What if this cop is the guy who misinterprets me reaching for my ID as reaching for a gun, what if this is the time that he barks contradictory orders and then decides I’m not complying? What if this is the time the cop shoots? Then I would definitely feel hunted. 
    @oftenreading I took your advice and decided to talk to one of my buddies about this.  I literally had no idea what POC go through when they are pulled over.

We had a long and deep conversation about a few things.  He thanked me after for asking the questions I did and I want to thank you also for challenging me.

• Options

You might be surprised as to how many high profile black individuals report still being regularly stopped and hassled by police. I’m seeing stories about this regularly in the media lately. Being wealthy and even relatively famous doesn’t mean this stops. 

I can’t remember who it was but recently a Black musician posted a story about how often he is stopped when he’s out in his expensive sports car and the general disbelief of the police that he is actually the legal owner. 
    Often, I get it and I read it too and that is part of the point though.  Being pulled over and profiled is different to me than being hunted down and killed but if it is done a certain way then I can see it that way.

I'm thinking about this more and empathizing.

I think that if I were being repeatedly stopped by police when I was doing nothing wrong, simply because they assumed I was a thief or worse because of the colour of my skin, I might start to feel hunted. And each time I was stopped by police I’m sure there would be massive anxiety - what if this is the one? What if this cop is the guy who misinterprets me reaching for my ID as reaching for a gun, what if this is the time that he barks contradictory orders and then decides I’m not complying? What if this is the time the cop shoots? Then I would definitely feel hunted. 
    @oftenreading I took your advice and decided to talk to one of my buddies about this.  I literally had no idea what POC go through when they are pulled over.

We had a long and deep conversation about a few things.  He thanked me after for asking the questions I did and I want to thank you also for challenging me.

I think this is a good example of why we need more, not less, dialog on race.  It's a nice thought that we should not be overly-focused on it and that we should try not to make it an issue.  But I don't think it's realistic.  I suspect you went into that conversation with some discomfort, which is OK.  We need to be uncomfortable at times.

Race is always an issue...that doesn't mean that people are always racist...but it's the elephant in the room.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Kyle Rittenhouse clearly wanted to be a cop.  He's 17 and maybe he'd have changed, but his social media posts were all about the thin blue line. And, of course, he drove 30 miles to play cops and robbers.

So a point I made, badly, in another thread is that I think there are a lot of people like this that want to get into law enforcement.  They dream of getting to "enforce" but not really of "protecting" and "serving."  A suprising number of people in the Twittersphere are praising him.  That said, a lot of people, even Blue Lives Matter, recognize that 1) he broke gun laws and 2) he was an idiot that was in wayyyy over his head.  He blew it.  But imagine 10 years from now; he goes "huntin'" for someone to shoot in cold blood.  Most of the "back the blue" folks would love him and tell us to imagine being in his shoes.  What we would not know was that he'd be preparing for a career in white nationalism for much of his childhood.  And he'd be a hero to the entire right and the Blue Backers.  When in reality, all he has ever been is a kid who wanted to live in a video game based on a very superficial understanding of what policing is, or at least should be.  This kid was PUMPED about shooting people.  But how many kids his age are pretty much the same, except they're passing their time with sports and social lives?  In five or ten years when they're cops are they really going to be different.

In short, how do police departments become less Rambo and more Officer Friendly?  Rambo wants the job.  Officer Friendly wants to be a school counselor.
This discussion has been closed.