Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Wouldn’t it show the type, make and model of vehicle on the registration and/or the license plate database?
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    DewieCox said:
    Wouldn’t it show the type, make and model of vehicle on the registration and/or the license plate database?

Yeah that seems weird. Do cops look for stolen vehicles by looking only at license plates?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    OnWis97 said:
    DewieCox said:

Yeah that seems weird. Do cops look for stolen vehicles by looking only at license plates?
    I believe they (here, at least) scan as they drive and proceed accordingly. I’ve heard several stories of plate switches, so it’s not that far fetched - in general, that is. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,992
    edited August 2020
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    DewieCox said:

I believe they (here, at least) scan as they drive and proceed accordingly. I’ve heard several stories of plate switches, so it’s not that far fetched - in general, that is. 
    Yes. That’s what I believe happened here. It was a scanner that scanned it incorrectly (probably read a Q as O or something) and just flagged it as stolen.
    But it could have been resolved by asking for registration like any other stop or just entering the license manually for verification and not drag them all out and lay face down in pavement. That’s where the fault lies.
    The cops messed up and did wrong here. No need to exaggerate the situation and act like they thought a van was a motorcycle, it’s bad enough just sticking to the facts.

I would be surprised if they didn’t change the protocol to manually enter a plate after it’s been flagged after this or something similar.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    DewieCox said:

Yes. That’s what I believe happened here. It was a scanner that scanned it incorrectly (probably read a Q as O or something) and just flagged it as stolen.
    But it could have been resolved by asking for registration like any other stop or just entering the license manually for verification and not drag them all out and lay face down in pavement. That’s where the fault lies.
    The cops messed up and did wrong here. No need to exaggerate the situation and act like they thought a van was a motorcycle, it’s bad enough just sticking to the facts.

I would be surprised if they didn’t change the protocol to manually enter a plate after it’s been flagged after this or something similar.
    Yeah, I can't imagine how traumatic that must've been for the children.  Common sense would've been great in this situation...well, in many others too.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    nicknyr15 said:
    For someone who claims to be in the middle of the political spectrum, you sure do read a lot of New York Post. 

I apologize, but I don't even click on those links you post from that website, that shit will rot your brain.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited August 2020
    Just more B-roll for fucking Trump to use in his campaign ads...just like that loser Ted Wheeler of Portland said. Show lootings and riots, note that it's mostly happening in cities with democratic mayors, link those democratic mayors to democrat nominee Biden, and that's his ad. 

Trump had an ad a little while ago that I thought was kinda dumb. It showed chaos in the streets and it showed Biden with the implication being "This will be Joe Biden's America." I thought "No dumbass, this is currently YOUR America." But I guess just linking Biden to those local democrats will be Trump's best ad strategy. Show that people like Lightfoot endorsed Biden, and go from there. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    For someone who claims to be in the middle of the political spectrum, you sure do read a lot of New York Post. 

I apologize, but I don't even click on those links you post from that website, that shit will rot your brain.
    Seems an odd thing to spin since it talked about the destruction property and then the arrests that were made in the aftermath. Whichever side of the aisle you’re on, based on the facts presented, it seems relatively inconsequential.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,700
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I read both. Daily News is behind a pay wall and whats the pint in posting the same stories that the usual 4-5 of you post already? And what’s the harm in reading both sides? These links aren’t opinion pieces. But whatever. Stick to only reading news outlets that cater to what you want to hear. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    People just don’t like articles that talks about the violent “protests.” Having “protestors” shoot at cops, hitting civilians, injuring 13 cops and having the shooters survive don’t fit the narrative that some want.
    Many protestors are peaceful, but a lot are not. Some refuse to admit that for some reason. Looting and riots in some cities have been going on for 3 months. It’s not about police brutality anymore at this point.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Imagine feeling so empowered by the current state of things that you'd drive your car through a store window like this. Even if I was vagrant that enjoyed looting and rioting, I'd still be like "Well we're not using MY car! What if they get my license plate!?!"

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    People just don’t like articles that talks about the violent “protests.” Having “protestors” shoot at cops, hitting civilians, injuring 13 cops and having the shooters survive don’t fit the narrative that some want.
    Many protestors are peaceful, but a lot are not. Some refuse to admit that for some reason. Looting and riots in some cities have been going on for 3 months. It’s not about police brutality anymore at this point.
    It’s not about right or wrong. It’s about right or left. The fact that I posted that article and the only reaction was that it was from the Post is ridiculous. I don’t post political opinion pieces. 
  • Options
    Imagine feeling so empowered by the current state of things that you'd drive your car through a store window like this. Even if I was vagrant that enjoyed looting and rioting, I'd still be like "Well we're not using MY car! What if they get my license plate!?!"

Buh buh buh, at least they’re Mostly wearing masks! 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Seems an odd thing to spin since it talked about the destruction property and then the arrests that were made in the aftermath. Whichever side of the aisle you’re on, based on the facts presented, it seems relatively inconsequential.
    I choose not to read from garbage sources, NYP is garbage. I don't want to give them web traffic. That is not spin.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I read both. Daily News is behind a pay wall and whats the pint in posting the same stories that the usual 4-5 of you post already? And what’s the harm in reading both sides? These links aren’t opinion pieces. But whatever. Stick to only reading news outlets that cater to what you want to hear. 
    I don't see how reading Daily News is any better, that's garbage too. It has nothing to do with my politics, it has to do with getting my news from reputable sources that aren't extreme. I hear you complain about the extremes of discourse from the left and right here all the time and you read a share stories from sources on the extreme left and right. That's quite a contradiction and interesting.

• Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I don't see how reading Daily News is any better, that's garbage too. It has nothing to do with my politics, it has to do with getting my news from reputable sources that aren't extreme. I hear you complain about the extremes of discourse from the left and right here all the time and you read a share stories from sources on the extreme left and right. That's quite a contradiction and interesting.

If you’re not going to discuss what I posted then why comment at all and turn this personal? That’s what’s interesting. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

If you’re not going to discuss what I posted then why comment at all and turn this personal? That’s what’s interesting. 
    I find news sources like that are part of the extreme discourse we have in society today. I would have thought you would agree with that given your stated opinions here in the past. Can you see the contradiction? So I feel I am discussing what you posted.

If I post something from a shit source, feel free to call me out on it. I won't be offended. Either I can defend the source or I can't. I think people should be more critical of where they get their news from (in particular tabloids) and the motivations behind such stories in the media, especially in this day and age. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I find news sources like that are part of the extreme discourse we have in society today. I would have thought you would agree with that given your stated opinions here in the past. Can you see the contradiction? So I feel I am discussing what you posted.

If I post something from a shit source, feel free to call me out on it. I won't be offended. Either I can defend the source or I can't. I think people should be more critical of where they get their news from (in particular tabloids) and the motivations behind such stories in the media, especially in this day and age. 
    Ok. Fair enough. 👍🏼 
    Can you recommend some ? 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

What does it matter if it’s extreme left or right, as long as its true?
    if you only read left news sources you’d think looting and violent protests ended 2 months ago. If you only viewed right leaning sources you’d think every major city is complete anarchy.
    The truth is in the middle. There is nothing wrong with someone posting an accurate story from a right leaning source. You won’t hear that story from most media sources because it put “protestors” attacking and shooting cops and even hitting another civilian. So if you want to discuss the violence that is going on you have to leave the left bubble in order to talk about it.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    What “leftist bubble” are some of us living in? Do you really think most of the most frequent posters only look at one or link to one news source? Sorry, both sides aren’t the same. From today’s web pages of the “leftist bubble.” Some “opinion” for you. 

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    So you don’t think CNN is biased. I do. As well as all the right/conservative ones too.

Still, I only asked what difference the source makes if it’s accurate. I’m guessing since you provided other sources the answer is none?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    So you don’t think CNN is biased. I do. As well as all the right/conservative ones too.

Still, I only asked what difference the source makes if it’s accurate. I’m guessing since you provided other sources the answer is none?
    No, you claimed that if we (General we) didn’t step out of our liberal news bubble, we’d think the riots ended months ago. I’m pointing out that my liberal bubble has reported on the ongoing riots extensively. Here’s a couple more opinions. Maybe you could share which liberal news sources haven’t covered the riots, leading us to believe they ended months ago?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

No, you claimed that if we (General we) didn’t step out of our liberal news bubble, we’d think the riots ended months ago. I’m pointing out that my liberal bubble has reported on the ongoing riots extensively. Here’s a couple more opinions. Maybe you could share which liberal news sources haven’t covered the riots, leading us to believe they ended months ago?

Context is everything. I made that comment in response to asking why provide a link to a story from the NYP. And asked what difference does it make what the source that poster used as long as the story is accurate. 
    And yes, for a large part CNN and other main stream media drastically downplay the violence in the protests. Just like Fox does the opposite.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Context is everything. I made that comment in response to asking why provide a link to a story from the NYP. And asked what difference does it make what the source that poster used as long as the story is accurate. 
    And yes, for a large part CNN and other main stream media drastically downplay the violence in the protests. Just like Fox does the opposite.
    Your comment was waaaaaaaaaay out of context. “Reporting” is much different than “bias” in said reporting. Your statement assumes that those of us living in the liberal bubble would think the rioting ended two months ago. I take issue with that general characterization that you made.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I choose not to read from garbage sources, NYP is garbage. I don't want to give them web traffic. That is not spin.
    I’m with you. Maybe I’m projecting but I took the initial link/comment to say...”this unchecked looting/rioting is a fucking joke”.  The headline is irresponsible. Why couldn’t it be “A Dozen Arrested In Magnificent Mile Destruction”. We all see the answer. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    dignin said:
    DewieCox said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I’m with you. Maybe I’m projecting but I took the initial link/comment to say...”this unchecked looting/rioting is a fucking joke”.  The headline is irresponsible. Why couldn’t it be “A Dozen Arrested In Magnificent Mile Destruction”. We all see the answer. 
    You’re projecting. My post was nothing more that what it was. Wasn’t political. What’s a joke is what’s going on there. That’s it. I’m shocked the direction this went, but I guess I shouldn’t be. 
  • Options
    Fair enough. I wait with bated breath for your first link that offers a left leaning take for a headline. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Fair enough. I wait with bated breath for your first link that offers a left leaning take for a headline. 
    I wouldn’t wait. No need to step on everyone’s toes here. Still don’t understand why that matters. 
This discussion has been closed.