How do you think the world will end?

Comments

• IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    South Africa Rejects United States Offer of $10 Billion A Year From 2014 To House Yellowstone Refugees

The ANC government has received a request from the United States to participate in a U.S. Disaster Management Plan which South Africa would receive $10 billion a year (about R100 billion) for ten years .The outline of the plan would be temporary housing for millions of Americans in South Africa, to be built if the Yellowstone super volcano in the country comes to a head; sooner or later.

Other Countries that the U.S is asking to participate include., Brazil, Argentina and Australia. A spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs, Dr. Sipho Matwetwe, said that South Africa will not be “part of the plan because there is a risk that millions of white Americans could be sent to the country in an emergency situation it would a National culture and identity threat”.

U.S. scientists have identified South Africa as an area where people could survive in the Yellowstone volcanic winter would erupt. Although the U.S. government by no means wants to cause panic among its citizens, they recognie a need for a “contingency” provision, if the worst does take place, and Yellowstone erupts.

outrageousminds.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/south-africa-rejects-united-states-offer-of-10-billion-a-year-from-2014-to-house-yellowstone-refugees/

newsmax.com/TheWire/volcano-eruption-fears-yellowstone/2014/05/08/id/570249/

(surely a hoax, ;)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Lol. Sounds ridiculous. I looked it up and there are a bunch of links but only for random sites I've never heard of. No legit news sources. Anyway, South Africa would be fucked too. Just not as quickly as North America.

Anyway, yeah this Yellowstone thing scares the shit out of me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I'm not sure how it will happen,but you can bet that fucking Beiber will have something to do with it.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    The sun will devour the earth in about 4 billlion years.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

Okay, now I definitely think it's going to be the Yellowstone supervolcano. I was already kind of worried about it, but this morning I was told by a respected archeologist that my fears are totally justified. I know she's not a geologist, but she definitely knows all about that shit as a part of her work. She said it's perfectly likely that it will go off any time now, and that if 100,000 human beings survive it they'll be lucky. That's 100,000 people in the whole world. image

At any time now??? Is she really certain..can you ask her where the safest place would be in the world?
    I seem to come upon this subject from time to time and it get to me every time. When that happens I'll search for an article like the one that follows to calm my nerves.This article says, "If it happens again, and he says most scientists think that it will... However, the National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded scientist doesn't think it's going to happen anytime soon--at least not for another 1 million to 2 million years."

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=130898

Now I'll be able to get that much need couple hours sleep. (See AET, The Insomnia Thread - #TeamNoSleep :)) )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    No way man. Geography isn't what I'd call my strong suit, but I would get my butt to new Zealand if that happened.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2014
    ldent42 said:

No way man. Geography isn't what I'd call my strong suit, but I would get my butt to new Zealand if that happened.

New Zealand seems very nice but we don't have volcanos here either I think you all should come here it would be fun :) (unfortunately Swedes aren't as easy going as Americans, maybe you wouldn't like it here) but still.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Neither does Australia so I say come visit we are pretty layed back
    Annafalk said:

ldent42 said:

New Zealand seems very nice but we don't have volcanos here either I think you all should come here it would be fun :) (unfortunately Swedes aren't as easy going as Americans, maybe you wouldn't like it here) but still.
    I'm confused Anna are you a Kiwi or a Swede or both:)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Some say a comet will fall from the sky, followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
    Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still, followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.
    Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.

(learn to swim ;) )
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    rr165892 said:

Annafalk said:

ldent42 said:

I'm confused Anna are you a Kiwi or a Swede or both:)
    I'm sorry if my English is lacking :) I'm a Swede.
    "I know that we exist in the morning twilight of humanity and pray that we may survive it's noon."
    -Loren Eiseley, The Invisible Pyramid
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Dinosaurs will make a come back.
    www.cluthelee.com
    brianlux said:

Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

Okay, now I definitely think it's going to be the Yellowstone supervolcano. I was already kind of worried about it, but this morning I was told by a respected archeologist that my fears are totally justified. I know she's not a geologist, but she definitely knows all about that shit as a part of her work. She said it's perfectly likely that it will go off any time now, and that if 100,000 human beings survive it they'll be lucky. That's 100,000 people in the whole world. image

At any time now??? Is she really certain..can you ask her where the safest place would be in the world?
    I seem to come upon this subject from time to time and it get to me every time. When that happens I'll search for an article like the one that follows to calm my nerves.This article says, "If it happens again, and he says most scientists think that it will... However, the National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded scientist doesn't think it's going to happen anytime soon--at least not for another 1 million to 2 million years."

Now I'll be able to get that much need couple hours sleep. (See AET, The Insomnia Thread - #TeamNoSleep :)) )
    They say that, but the scientist literally have no clue. There is actually no reason for them to say that it won't happen for another 1000 or million years or whatever. They don't know one way or the other AT ALL. They can only predict if it's going to happen or not maybe a few weeks before it blows. All this stuff about there being no evidence that it will blow soon is simply them trying to comfort people, since they just have no way at all to say when it might happen. I've read about this extensively, lol. So basically, when a scientist says they think it won't happen for a long time, it just tells us that they are positive thinkers, hahaha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

The sun will devour the earth in about 4 billlion years.

I got $5 on this theory. Too bad I won't be around to collect on it. Or will I? :-?
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

They say that, but the scientist literally have no clue. There is actually no reason for them to say that it won't happen for another 1000 or million years or whatever. They don't know one way or the other AT ALL. They can only predict if it's going to happen or not maybe a few weeks before it blows. All this stuff about there being no evidence that it will blow soon is simply them trying to comfort people, since they just have no way at all to say when it might happen. I've read about this extensively, lol. So basically, when a scientist says they think it won't happen for a long time, it just tells us that they are positive thinkers, hahaha.
    Oh thanks a lot, PJ_Soul. Now I'll be up half the night again worrying about this again. I'll see YOU in the Insomnia Thread! ;-)

• World War 3: the War for Fresh Water, or some other human cause will cause the human species to die, or talking about the earth's demise, I had a dream that the solar system failed and the sun moved out of the sky and toward the earth. (The dream ended there, but we kinda know what happens next.)

World War 3: the War for Fresh Water, or some other human cause will cause the human species to die, or talking about the earth's demise, I had a dream that the solar system failed and the sun moved out of the sky and toward the earth. (The dream ended there, but we kinda know what happens next.)

That's as scary (and possible) as the Yellowstone super-volcano... and a lot closer to home.

• brianlux said:

World War 3: the War for Fresh Water, or some other human cause will cause the human species to die, or talking about the earth's demise, I had a dream that the solar system failed and the sun moved out of the sky and toward the earth. (The dream ended there, but we kinda know what happens next.)

That's as scary (and possible) as the Yellowstone super-volcano... and a lot closer to home.

Most bottled water comes from water deprived states. (no clue why that is!)

And I saw a post somewhere about the irony of the ice bucket challenges. We're using fresh water to dump freely for a cause when fresh water on the other side of the world is scarce. It is ironic when you think about it. (But it is a very successful campaign for a great cause and the money being poured in for ALS is awesome.)

brianlux said:

And I saw a post somewhere about the irony of the ice bucket challenges. We're using fresh water to dump freely for a cause when fresh water on the other side of the world is scarce. It is ironic when you think about it. (But it is a very successful campaign for a great cause and the money being poured in for ALS is awesome.)
    Yeah, I mentioned something about that in one of the other threads. Balancing out may be the wrong term, but I hope it does somehow - loss of water but less people living with and dying from the devastation of ALS.

Anyway, here in earthquake country, the "how will it / we end" thought gets in my mind sometimes and we've taken some measures, but I won't allow it to overtake me.

Fuck that.

The time fretting and worrying takes away from much better shit. The present.

brianlux said:

Boom was sitting on rocks by the sea when he did it and I didn't see a lot of ice in that one. Sea water maybe?

• With the amount of harm we do to the planet and each other, it would only be fitting that we'd be the cause of our own demise. If not, then maybe an asteroid.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    Our own demise isn't the same as the world ending - though some may see it that way ;)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hedonist said:

Our own demise isn't the same as the world ending - though some may see it that way ;)

The arrogance of humans. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

hedonist said:

The arrogance of humans. ;)
    Well done, both. Can we give bonus points for these answers, hahaha!

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Yeah, I mentioned something about that in one of the other threads. Balancing out may be the wrong term, but I hope it does somehow - loss of water but less people living with and dying from the devastation of ALS.

Anyway, here in earthquake country, the "how will it / we end" thought gets in my mind sometimes and we've taken some measures, but I won't allow it to overtake me.

Fuck that.

The time fretting and worrying takes away from much better shit. The present.

One bucket of water for this good charity is about the same as if each person who does it flushed a toilet. Perspective is good.
    Everyone who did the challenge just go pee in the woods once and you're square with the world. :D
    hedonist said:

That's how I was thinking of the world ending. It ENDS. Shit's pretty much wiped out totally. A war or a plague isn't the end of the world.
    When the Cubs win the World Series and the Browns win the Superbowl it will be the start of end times.
    When the Cubs win the World Series and the Browns win the Superbowl it will be the start of end times.