How do you think the world will end?

Comments

• jallardjallard Posts: 46
    Just like it started dude. In a gigantic hadron collider.

imageimage" />
    Ouate de phoque?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    hedonist said:

I was without power for an hour the other night, and I thought "is this what the end of the world is like?"

The Amish would laugh at this ;)
    I think almost everyone would laugh at this. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    jallard said:

Just like it started dude. In a gigantic hadron collider.

imageimage" />

Somehow the simsons comes to mind..
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Idris said:

Well technically (from what we know) The next cosmic event to affect our world, galaxy, sun, solar system is the head-on collision between the Andromeda galaxy and (our) Milky Way galaxy.

The Sun will (apparently) have a new location and so will our stars. What does that mean for earth/our world? Who really knows.

Of course M33 (Triangulum galaxy) may hit our milky way first.

Scratch that.
    -
    Maybe...1950 DA will do it,

nypost.com/2014/08/16/potential-earth-killer-asteroid-can-be-stopped-scientists/
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

With a bang or a whisper?

I opened this thread with the full intention of responding, 'not with a bang, but with a whisper' and you done beat me to it! ;)

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    hedonist said:

I was without power for an hour the other night, and I thought "is this what the end of the world is like?"

The Amish would laugh at this ;)
    Ha...! (I'm half-laughing ;) )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Leveled to make way for a hyperspace by - pass. :-&
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

ryph raph said:

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    In a huge, global catastrophy where there isn't enough water.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2014
    ldent42 said:

ryph raph said:

The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy ;;) right? That book had much more charms than the movie...
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I have no idea how the whole will end but I'd guess it will outlast all the humans that live on it!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Annafalk said:

ldent42 said:

ryph raph said:

The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy ;;) right? That book had much more charms than the movie...
    Yes. Though I must admit I did like the movie. I did read the books out of order the first time.
    80% of the world are going to turn into slow mongoloids while the rest of the 20% and turning into warewolves to scare them and tear them up.
    Eventually everything will be tied into a massive super computer and someone working too late one night will accidentally hit "delete all".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

Eventually everything will be tied into a massive super computer and someone working too late one night will accidentally hit "delete all".

Not impossible :-t
    JWPearl said:

brianlux said:

Not impossible :-t
    Only as a metaphor, of course. Or a dumb joke. :))

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

Reminds me of that short story by Stephen King.

Apologies if I've repeated myself, but I think this planet - and the world/universe itself - will be around far longer than us humans.

(to JWPearl - "slow mongoloids"? Not sure what's meant by this.)
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Apologies if I've repeated myself, but I think this planet - and the world/universe itself - will be around far longer than us humans.

Ooh! Which one? I'd like to read that!

Yeah- I think this earth has longer staying power than we humans.

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Disabled
    JWPearl said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Disabled
    You refer to some people as "slow mongoloids" and elsewhere "retarded".
    And you are a Christian, correct?
    Just wanting verify, that's all.

Retarded in a different way
    JWPearl said:

Retarded in a different way

OK, how so?

In saying that it retardedness would be like inflicted deliberately due to consciousness not to innocence like the retarded people that are born retarded or have an accident and become retarded etc, mine joke had Godly connotations if you can broaden your mind
    JWPearl said:

In saying that it retardedness would be like inflicted deliberately due to consciousness not to innocence like the retarded people that are born retarded or have an accident and become retarded etc, mine joke had Godly connotations if you can broaden your mind

"Retardedness.... inflicted due to consciousness"? I would be far more open-minded about your post if I had an interpreter and besides, I think you were referring to "retarded" people in the "What's so funny about peace love and understanding" thread. Either way, it sounds like a bad put down. Interesting form of Godliness, eh?

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Ooh! Which one? I'd like to read that!

Yeah- I think this earth has longer staying power than we humans.
    Damn, it took me a bit to find this!

"Word Processor of the Gods" (pulled from Wiki):
    A middle-aged writer is disenchanted with his tyrannical wife, his disrespectful teenage son, and his life in general. He receives the gift of a custom-built word processor from his nephew, a teenage electronics genius. Unfortunately, the nephew suddenly dies in a car accident caused by the writer's abusive brother, who was driving drunk. The writer must figure out on his own how to use the gift. He discovers that this word processor enables him to write things into existence, delete things from existence, and alter the fabric of his reality – at least, as long as the rickety word processor still functions. He erases his wife and son, and seconds before the processor's demise replaces them with his nephew and the nephew's kind, gentle mother.

I sure loved his old stuff. He and Rod Serling had an interesting take on humans and humanity.
    No in other words like Godly inflicted punishment to best describe it upon the consciousness of people who were aware of their wrong doing and crimes and that was a form of justice, sorry I did not explain myself clearly and disabled is a different form of state if it were inflicted by God so I was not referring to the same kind in the peace and love thread. If your looking to debate over a joke I'm not going to bite but I will just pass on
    edited August 2014
    Okay, now I definitely think it's going to be the Yellowstone supervolcano. I was already kind of worried about it, but this morning I was told by a respected archeologist that my fears are totally justified. I know she's not a geologist, but she definitely knows all about that shit as a part of her work. She said it's perfectly likely that it will go off any time now, and that if 100,000 human beings survive it they'll be lucky. That's 100,000 people in the whole world. image
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    PJ_Soul said:

Okay, now I definitely think it's going to be the Yellowstone supervolcano. I was already kind of worried about it, but this morning I was told by a respected archeologist that my fears are totally justified. I know she's not a geologist, but she definitely knows all about that shit as a part of her work. She said it's perfectly likely that it will go off any time now, and that if 100,000 human beings survive it they'll be lucky. That's 100,000 people in the whole world. image

At any time now??? Is she really certain..can you ask her where the safest place would be in the world?
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

At any time now??? Is she really certain..can you ask her where the safest place would be in the world?
    Southern Africa.
    edited August 2014
    Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

At any time now or 1000 years from now, lol. No one knows, but there is increased activity, and its eruption is overdue. Since this is the volcano connected to Old Faithful going off at the same time of day every day, the fact that a super-eruption is overdue is worrying for us. So any time as in today, tomorrow, next month, next year, next decade, next century, etc.

I would say that there is no place that's safest, since the eruption would cause the equivalent of a nuclear winter, and all plant life and pretty much all animal life would be dead within a couple months. You really don't want to survive it unless you have a self-sustaining underground city to live in or something. You'd be best off being close to it and dying instantly, to be honest, so you're spared some misery.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on