Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Do these 7 count in your tally or just the estranged wife of the gunman?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/12/us/texas-plano-mass-shooting-at-cowboys-watch-party/index.html
    No, they were all responsible people looking for a P tape...
    Sorry, but it’s more than only 600 or so women. It’s telling that you “responsible” gun owners minimize and ridicule the carnage from gun violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/11/domestic-violence-shooting-deaths-women-husbands-boyfriends
    Dude, its clear you have no clue what you're talking about. Please stop jumping to conclusions and making assumptions about me. You don't know anything about what I believe or do. Just stop.
    Should I quote your “facts” of only 50 women a month for 600? It’s a pretty insensitive view point. Stop minimizing the carnage of gun violence and I’ll stop calling you out on it.
    He never used "only" so please stop misquoting him.
    The “facts” he used to back up his number of domestic violence victims only referenced women and appeared to dismiss the number of 600 victims as insinificant.

I don't know why, but I'll try one last time then I'll just have to give up on getting through to some people.
    I never minimized anything. I'll try to break it down as much as I can one last time.
    It was stated that ammo should be stored separately to allow victims of domestic violence an extra 15 seconds to escape a heated argument before getting shot. I did not agree with that logic, if a gun is stored and locked properly I don't think it is going to make a difference.
    Then I added why make laws that to protect only a small group, why not make laws that protect everyone against guns, including those 600 women killed every year? Make laws that make it easier to take guns away from those in a violent relationship, support the abused more, strict background checks. registration and accountability for guns. All of which would not only protect those victims better than having a separate box to open, but also help protect thousands more as well. 
    Since then others have said it is to prevent kids from getting both guns and ammo. And while I still believe the safest place in my house is my gun safe, and therefore no one is getting guns or ammo, I can at least recognize the logic in that.  The reality is if someone gets ammo because it was stored with a gun, then the guns weren't properly stored to begin with. SO making separate laws on ammo isn't going to save a singe life. If someone stores their guns so a kid and access it, are they really going to make their ammo more secure? If they lock their guns up properly, no kid is getting to it. As someone else already said, it would just be a "feel good" law, and a tally mark for another victory that has no real impact.

Now explain how that is minimizing anything?  Actually, on second thought,  please don't.
    Do you have anything to back up your "feel good law" or "no real impact" theory?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I just think you're underestimating how storing them separately would help for the two main stated reasons, and also feel that a law that protects a minority of potential victims is still a worthwhile law that doesn't exclude other laws that might protect a larger number of people. I think the more rules that might protect anyone in the context of gun violence or accidents, the better. Of course I couldn't care less if gun owners are slightly or very inconvenienced by any gun laws.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/12/us/texas-plano-mass-shooting-at-cowboys-watch-party/index.html
    Sorry, but it’s more than only 600 or so women. It’s telling that you “responsible” gun owners minimize and ridicule the carnage from gun violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/11/domestic-violence-shooting-deaths-women-husbands-boyfriends
    Dude, its clear you have no clue what you're talking about. Please stop jumping to conclusions and making assumptions about me. You don't know anything about what I believe or do. Just stop.
    Should I quote your “facts” of only 50 women a month for 600? It’s a pretty insensitive view point. Stop minimizing the carnage of gun violence and I’ll stop calling you out on it.
    The “facts” he used to back up his number of domestic violence victims only referenced women and appeared to dismiss the number of 600 victims as insinificant.

I don't know why, but I'll try one last time then I'll just have to give up on getting through to some people.
    I never minimized anything. I'll try to break it down as much as I can one last time.
    It was stated that ammo should be stored separately to allow victims of domestic violence an extra 15 seconds to escape a heated argument before getting shot. I did not agree with that logic, if a gun is stored and locked properly I don't think it is going to make a difference.
    Then I added why make laws that to protect only a small group, why not make laws that protect everyone against guns, including those 600 women killed every year? Make laws that make it easier to take guns away from those in a violent relationship, support the abused more, strict background checks. registration and accountability for guns. All of which would not only protect those victims better than having a separate box to open, but also help protect thousands more as well. 
    Since then others have said it is to prevent kids from getting both guns and ammo. And while I still believe the safest place in my house is my gun safe, and therefore no one is getting guns or ammo, I can at least recognize the logic in that.  The reality is if someone gets ammo because it was stored with a gun, then the guns weren't properly stored to begin with. SO making separate laws on ammo isn't going to save a singe life. If someone stores their guns so a kid and access it, are they really going to make their ammo more secure? If they lock their guns up properly, no kid is getting to it. As someone else already said, it would just be a "feel good" law, and a tally mark for another victory that has no real impact.

Now explain how that is minimizing anything?  Actually, on second thought,  please don't.
    And yet, requirind ammunition to be stored separately from guns is used effectively elsewhere, so there’s that. 

The easier it is for people to make the wrong decision in a moment of anger, the more likely they are to make that decision. The harder it is to make it, the more road blocks in the way, the more likely they are to rethink during that time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

And yet, requirind ammunition to be stored separately from guns is used effectively elsewhere, so there’s that. 

The easier it is for people to make the wrong decision in a moment of anger, the more likely they are to make that decision. The harder it is to make it, the more road blocks in the way, the more likely they are to rethink during that time. 
    1. How do you measure whether or not it is effective?
    2.  How do you enforce that law?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    To answer #2... well, the same way you enforce the law about keeping guns secured.... Isn't that presumably through education, licensing, safety training, etc? It's more about encouraging the following of the law, not enforcing it? And then, of course, punish those who are found to have not followed said law, which normally happens during unrelated investigations or during the investigation of terrible murders and accidents.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Easy- you hire half the country to monitor the other half of the country.  (In other words- as much as this the concept may have some merit, it totally lacks on a practicality level.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mace1229 said:

this semantics game of accusing someone of bullshit for one word in a sentence is so tiring. should we lambaste all the liberals that cite the "few" numbers of illegal immigrants that have committed murder as a reason why there is no need for a wall? I mean, how insensitive to the FEW murder victims, right?

gimme a break. 
    Liberals lambast the number of murders committed by immigrants in the context that they’re less likely to murder than the white, native population and the right likes to claim that its an "invasion" or "oh the horror." Maybe the white, native population should get their house in order before creating boogymen? And please show me a post, by a "liberal" claiming its only X number or that they're unsympathetic to a "FEW murders." Semantics or "facts" don't matter. Got it. 
    facts do matter, which is why your last few posts addressing mace are ludicrous. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

1. Statistics
    2. What PJSoul said.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Evidently Canada doesn’t even enforce this and it isn’t even law...so this whole conversation is pointless...:
    “Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms”
    https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-209/index.html

it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Evidently Canada doesn’t even enforce this and it isn’t even law...so this whole conversation is pointless...:
    “Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms”

so all gun laws should be the same no matter the culture or country?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Lol. Oh geez
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    :lol: Oh man, I seriously don't have time to research everything anyone ever claims here - I hope this doesn't happen too often, lol. I took whoever's word on that one. Hey, isn't it any comment's naysayers who are obligated to disprove a statement?... Before we all debate it for several pages? ;)
    FWIW... it sounded like a good idea to me!
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not following?  This whole thing started because someone said that the US needs to have laws like Canada that requires people to store ammunition and guns separately...which isn’t even the case in Canada.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Lol. Oh geez
    Lol meltdown99, where did you go?  You started this, ha :)

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    :lol: Oh man, I seriously don't have time to research everything anyone ever claims here - I hope this doesn't happen too often, lol. I took whoever's word on that one. Hey, isn't it any comment's naysayers who are obligated to disprove a statement?... Before we all debate it for several pages? ;)
    FWIW... it sounded like a good idea to me!
    Your lAws are as confusing as ours! Non-restrictive, restrictive and prohibited firearms.  Ugh.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    There are several reasons it wouldn't happen, but the biggest one is cost. I rarely hear anyone talk about the cost of a buyback program. If it is not voluntary, but mandatory then it isn't right to only offer $100 a gun, it would have to be the fair market value. And it is not uncommon for guns to cost $1000 or more. The $5.5 billion that many laughed at to build the wall is probably what a buyback program would cost. Who here wants to donate a ten thousands dollars to support this?
    Statistics show that about 43% of American households have at least one gun and I'm guessing that's low.  So think about how many people would have to be hired to go out and confiscate all those guns.  Basically half the country would be confiscating guns from the other half and nothing else would get done. 

So the logical thing to do is to start by banning assault rifles and then, even more importantly, work on making life better (and by better I don't mean just being able to buy more stuff) so that people will be happier and feel safer and then maybe opt not to buy yet another goddamn gun in the first place. 
    Would the half that gets to confiscate the guns get danger pay.  I can not imagine what could go wrong by trying to confiscate guns from people that have plenty of ammo and are pissed that they are having their guns confiscated...lol
    I guess the trick is to just ask nicely.

Seriously though, there are just too many gun owners who literally see it as their God-given right to possess fire arms and most of whom are no way just going to hand over their fire arms.  No, the answer is very complicated and complex- more education, build safer communities, stronger background checks and registration including gun safety courses, banning of automatic weapons.  Even just one of those is a big goal.  Unfortunately, I don't see how this gun issue will ever be resolved. 
    That is so true.  That's why disarming them is not a real feasible goal.  Tougher gun laws would be a start, better background checks.  
    Background checks is a hot talking point.

What should a background check consist of?  

What would you like to see done?

I am a Canadian.  

In Canada, you must take a firearms safety course and pass before purchasing unrestricted firearms.  You must also take a hunters safety course before you can hunt legally.

Firearms Safety Training

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/safe_sur/index-eng.htm

You can own restricted weapons, but 1st must apply for a restricted weapons permit, and if you get restricted weapons permit, the rules involved in transporting your gun are stiff.  Upon purchasing your restricted weapon, you would be placed on the restricted weapons registry.

Canadian Firearms Registry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Firearms_Registry

And all guns must be in the locked cabinet and stored separately from the ammo.

Once again this does nothing to stop the criminal, and we have our fair share of gun crime.
    Good ole
    meltdown started this one. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,609
    mace1229 said:

this semantics game of accusing someone of bullshit for one word in a sentence is so tiring. should we lambaste all the liberals that cite the "few" numbers of illegal immigrants that have committed murder as a reason why there is no need for a wall? I mean, how insensitive to the FEW murder victims, right?

gimme a break. 
    Liberals lambast the number of murders committed by immigrants in the context that they’re less likely to murder than the white, native population and the right likes to claim that its an "invasion" or "oh the horror." Maybe the white, native population should get their house in order before creating boogymen? And please show me a post, by a "liberal" claiming its only X number or that they're unsympathetic to a "FEW murders." Semantics or "facts" don't matter. Got it. 
    facts do matter, which is why your last few posts addressing mace are ludicrous. 
    How so? Are you sticking with women are the only victims of domestic violence gun deaths and that that number is 600?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Do you have anything to back up your "feel good law" or "no real impact" theory?
    I was going to ask what evidence do you have that it works, but someone already did.
    I've explained my reasoning many times over the last 2 days. If you want to know, read through it. I don't see the need to explain it again.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    There are several reasons it wouldn't happen, but the biggest one is cost. I rarely hear anyone talk about the cost of a buyback program. If it is not voluntary, but mandatory then it isn't right to only offer $100 a gun, it would have to be the fair market value. And it is not uncommon for guns to cost $1000 or more. The $5.5 billion that many laughed at to build the wall is probably what a buyback program would cost. Who here wants to donate a ten thousands dollars to support this?
    Statistics show that about 43% of American households have at least one gun and I'm guessing that's low.  So think about how many people would have to be hired to go out and confiscate all those guns.  Basically half the country would be confiscating guns from the other half and nothing else would get done. 

So the logical thing to do is to start by banning assault rifles and then, even more importantly, work on making life better (and by better I don't mean just being able to buy more stuff) so that people will be happier and feel safer and then maybe opt not to buy yet another goddamn gun in the first place. 
    Would the half that gets to confiscate the guns get danger pay.  I can not imagine what could go wrong by trying to confiscate guns from people that have plenty of ammo and are pissed that they are having their guns confiscated...lol
    I guess the trick is to just ask nicely.

Seriously though, there are just too many gun owners who literally see it as their God-given right to possess fire arms and most of whom are no way just going to hand over their fire arms.  No, the answer is very complicated and complex- more education, build safer communities, stronger background checks and registration including gun safety courses, banning of automatic weapons.  Even just one of those is a big goal.  Unfortunately, I don't see how this gun issue will ever be resolved. 
    That is so true.  That's why disarming them is not a real feasible goal.  Tougher gun laws would be a start, better background checks.  
    Background checks is a hot talking point.

What should a background check consist of?  

What would you like to see done?

I am a Canadian.  

In Canada, you must take a firearms safety course and pass before purchasing unrestricted firearms.  You must also take a hunters safety course before you can hunt legally.

Firearms Safety Training

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/safe_sur/index-eng.htm

You can own restricted weapons, but 1st must apply for a restricted weapons permit, and if you get restricted weapons permit, the rules involved in transporting your gun are stiff.  Upon purchasing your restricted weapon, you would be placed on the restricted weapons registry.

Canadian Firearms Registry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Firearms_Registry

And all guns must be in the locked cabinet and stored separately from the ammo.

Once again this does nothing to stop the criminal, and we have our fair share of gun crime.
    Good ole
    meltdown started this one. 
    Geez Meltdown, no wonder you're a Ford and Scheer supporter. You've got all your facts fucked up. =);)
  • Options
    Meltdown is fake news!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Meltdown is fake news!
    Not to mention that Canada seems to think it is okay to lock them unattended in a car (look at the paragraph below the one you circled)...which was a topic of conversation recently too, lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not following?  This whole thing started because someone said that the US needs to have laws like Canada that requires people to store ammunition and guns separately...which isn’t even the case in Canada.

Exactly. Not only that, but it seems like a few times a page on this thread we are compared to other countries and told "why don't you have laws like them?" And I remember the one time I tried to explain the difference between USA and Canada, and the roots of our gun culture you would think I was supporting the Nazi party or something with the crazy ridiculous responses. 
    If anything, this supports exactly what I've been saying for 2 days. You don't need the ammo-gun storage law to have effective gun control. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Well let's not get too excited. Canada DOES have more restrictive firearm laws by far, and that question is still valid. Meltdown's mistake changes nothing when it comes to America having an out-of-control gun violence problem resulting from an extreme gun culture and a lack of restrictions.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Exactly. Not only that, but it seems like a few times a page on this thread we are compared to other countries and told "why don't you have laws like them?" And I remember the one time I tried to explain the difference between USA and Canada, and the roots of our gun culture you would think I was supporting the Nazi party or something with the crazy ridiculous responses. 
    If anything, this supports exactly what I've been saying for 2 days. You don't need the ammo-gun storage law to have effective gun control. 
    Plus in Canada automatic weapons (very restrictive like here) and ar-15 s are legal. 

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Well, we are clear now.  By law, you CAN store your firearm and ammo in the same safe...in the USA and in Canada!  
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Meltdown is fake news!
    Not to mention that Canada seems to think it is okay to lock them unattended in a car (look at the paragraph below the one you circled)...which was a topic of conversation recently too, lol
    Responsible until they aren’t. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Meltdown is fake news!
    Responsible until they aren’t. 
    I’m not aware whether or not you can store an #Ptape with them, though, lol 
  • Options
    Yes, they are restricted weapons here.
    But what... so now all of a sudden Canada and America are looking fairly equal in terms of gun laws to you? That isn't the case at all.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, they are restricted weapons here.
    But what... so now all of a sudden Canada and America are looking fairly equal in terms of gun laws to you? That isn't the case at all.
    Explain to me the restricted weapon access.  Do you need a certain level of background checks to get one?  
    Maybe i should research since you Canadians can not ;)
    And I do think we are more similar than you think, big difference is the training and mag limits imo. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well let's not get too excited. Canada DOES have more restrictive firearm laws by far, and that question is still valid. Meltdown's mistake changes nothing when it comes to America having an out-of-control gun violence problem resulting from an extreme gun culture and a lack of restrictions.
    I would agree with that. My impression has always been it is more difficult to get a gun in Canada. I've never tried so I don't really know. By no means do I think their laws are lose now.
This discussion has been closed.