Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    I can’t even remember what the name of this thread is lol!
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Pretty sure it's about Sweden's declining Moose population due to over hunting.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Pretty sure it's about Sweden's declining Moose population due to over hunting.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    If I was on a computer and not my phone I could Tell you.  You can hunt in Sweden also.

He said you can not hunt Sweden.  I called him out on and he's pissed.   LMFAO
    I see that.  I don’t know why he didn’t just scroll up and look at what he wrote.  Too busy looking for gifs and memes to express his thoughts.
    There does seem to be a lot of time spent looking up gifs and memes.  So much time that it would be hard to find a full time job and would lead to what some call “failure to launch” I’m guessing.
    You're no slouch in the meme posting department. Does your comment apply across the board?
    I would say that my meme posting is extremely rare, not sure that can be said about posters that insert them in 90% of their posts.  What makes you think I am “no slouch in the meme pollsting department” or did you just assume that I post 20 memes/gifs a day because you don’t like me?  My comment only applies to those that spend a lot of time looking for gifs and memes and say they do not have time to work full time and are “failure to launchers”.   

Who in here do not have the time to work full time?
    I have no idea, maybe someone that only works 80% of that because they are searching for memes/gif too many hours a day.  Know anyone of sorts?

How many weeks vacation do you guys have the right to, per year?
    Seems he doesnt want to answer so I will, zero.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    If I was on a computer and not my phone I could Tell you.  You can hunt in Sweden also.

I see that.  I don’t know why he didn’t just scroll up and look at what he wrote.  Too busy looking for gifs and memes to express his thoughts.
    There does seem to be a lot of time spent looking up gifs and memes.  So much time that it would be hard to find a full time job and would lead to what some call “failure to launch” I’m guessing.
    You're no slouch in the meme posting department. Does your comment apply across the board?
    I would say that my meme posting is extremely rare, not sure that can be said about posters that insert them in 90% of their posts.  What makes you think I am “no slouch in the meme pollsting department” or did you just assume that I post 20 memes/gifs a day because you don’t like me?  My comment only applies to those that spend a lot of time looking for gifs and memes and say they do not have time to work full time and are “failure to launchers”.   

I have no idea, maybe someone that only works 80% of that because they are searching for memes/gif too many hours a day.  Know anyone of sorts?

Right to? Zero. If you’re lucky, most places give you a week or two after a year, two weeks after the first year and maybe three weeks after five or ten years and maybe four weeks after 15-20 years. If you’re lucky. But there is no guaranteed number of vacation days legislated by the government. Americans typically leave 1/3 or 1/2 of their vacation days on the table and never take them, least they be penalized during the next round of corporate layoffs.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    edited August 2018
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Right to? Zero. If you’re lucky, most places give you a week or two after a year, two weeks after the first year and maybe three weeks after five or ten years and maybe four weeks after 15-20 years. If you’re lucky. But there is no guaranteed number of vacation days legislated by the government. Americans typically leave 1/3 or 1/2 of their vacation days on the table and never take them, least they be penalized during the next round of corporate layoffs.
    Guys, I'm starting to suspect the US isn't the greatest country in the world...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

canadians have no right, I don't believe, to vacation (stat holidays are different) but after working 20 years in the same place, I get 5 weeks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Just now starting? :wink:
    Maternity leave is like 2 weeks, sometimes shorter. Paternity leave doesn't exist. Disability only pays about 60% of your pay rate. Sick days don't exist in most states. And in the case of my company, when sick days were mandated in my state this year, they just took it from our already accrued vacation. We didn't get additional days.  Had 3 weeks of vacation? Now you have 2 weeks of vacation and 5 sick days.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Maternity leave is like 2 weeks, sometimes shorter. Paternity leave doesn't exist. Disability only pays about 60% of your pay rate. Sick days don't exist in most states. And in the case of my company, when sick days were mandated in my state this year, they just took it from our already accrued vacation. We didn't get additional days.  Had 3 weeks of vacation? Now you have 2 weeks of vacation and 5 sick days.

Disability isn’t taxed though. So it ends up being more than 60% of take home pay.

a lot of the other answers depends on where you work. Some great other awful.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    edited August 2018
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Disability isn’t taxed though. So it ends up being more than 60% of take home pay.

Sure, but the point is, a lot of that shouldn't depend on where you work. You shouldn't be at risk of losing your job because you got pneumonia or needed surgery. And the issue around maternity leave is appalling, for a country that continually insists that they are pro-family. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

That should make people start to suspect the US isn't the greatest country in the world.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    I didn't know vacation was a "right" in some countries.
    I think 2 weeks is standard here for new jobs, and common to have 4 or 5 weeks once you hit 10 years or so.

So in those countries are there any rights for hourly workers? Some crap employers get around vacation/sick time by sticking to hourly pay instead of salary, while others stick to salary to avoid over-time pay. Its sort of messed up with a lot of employers do.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    Just another “responsible” gun owner until they weren’t.

Authorities: Mother says she shot toddler daughter to death - ABC News https://apple.news/Ajxg_J_kmR72DJPxQToHPOw
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mace1229 said:
    I think 2 weeks is standard here for new jobs, and common to have 4 or 5 weeks once you hit 10 years or so.

So in those countries are there any rights for hourly workers? Some crap employers get around vacation/sick time by sticking to hourly pay instead of salary, while others stick to salary to avoid over-time pay. Its sort of messed up with a lot of employers do.
    Actually, apparently 25% of American companies offer no paid vacation. Two weeks is considered typical after one year, up to five years, after which companies often offer three, and people don’t  generally get four until 20 years. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    mace1229 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_annual_leave_by_country

But you go broke living in Sweden ofc... 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I didn't bother checking the references, but I wonder if those stats include sick time, and if they only considered full-time salary positions or if that includes hourly as well. Some companies differentiate between sick and vacation time, You may only get 2 weeks vacation, but you also get a week of sick time on top of that.
    I've honestly never heard of a full-time salary employee anywhere not getting any sick or vacation time.
    But that was pretty close to my guess. It said an average of 17 days after 10 years, thats 3 1/2 weeks. If you count the 8 days of holiday time that most (77%) get you'd be at 5 weeks paid time off on average after 10 years. 
    I'd bet that a lot, probably most, of those with less paid vacation/holidays are hourly or commission/sales based jobs. And how many are self-employed. You can't really have paid vacation when your pay is based off sales or when you are your own employer.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I didn't bother checking the references, but I wonder if those stats include sick time, and if they only considered full-time salary positions or if that includes hourly as well. Some companies differentiate between sick and vacation time, You may only get 2 weeks vacation, but you also get a week of sick time on top of that.
    I've honestly never heard of a full-time salary employee anywhere not getting any sick or vacation time.
    But that was pretty close to my guess. It said an average of 17 days after 10 years, thats 3 1/2 weeks. If you count the 8 days of holiday time that most (77%) get you'd be at 5 weeks paid time off on average after 10 years. 
    I'd bet that a lot, probably most, of those with less paid vacation/holidays are hourly or commission/sales based jobs. And how many are self-employed. You can't really have paid vacation when your pay is based off sales or when you are your own employer.
    Sweden has paid sick leave.[49] The first sick day is usually not paid. After that day 80% of the income is paid for 364 days and 75% for a further maximum 550 days. A medical doctor must certify the illness no later than one week after the first sick day. A parent of a less than 12-year-old sick child can get paid leave to care for the child (termed "temporary parental leave"). In that case the first day is also paid. The state pays all these benefits, except for the first two weeks of sick leave for employees, which is paid by the employer.

How does the US do it?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited August 2018
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

canadians have no right, I don't believe, to vacation (stat holidays are different) but after working 20 years in the same place, I get 5 weeks. 
    In Ontario you get 3 weeks paid after 12 months ... 
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    mace1229 said:

It's a right in all developed countries except America. But Canada is really bad with this as well - it ranks 3rd to last in paid vacations among developed nations. Guess who ranks last? Yes, the USA is called "the no vacation nation" in other countries. I can't figure out why Americans are so agreeable to this failure on the part of their government (just like I don't understand why they continue to tolerate their for-profit healthcare system aka human rights violation). Paid vacation minimums are the norm, and proven to have a positive impact in many regards. 

Even being that shamefully far down the list, Canada has basic minimums for paid vacations under the Canada Labour Code. Some provinces provide more than the minimum dictated federally, but no provinces can offer less than that. Obviously individual employers can and often do provide more vacation than is legally required (I have worked for my employer for I think 16 years, and am up to 7 weeks vacation/year. I started with 3). The basic entitlement in Canada is two weeks of vacation for every completed "year of employment". After six consecutive years of employment with the same employer, the entitlement increases to three weeks of vacation.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I have changed jobs and negotiated my vacations because quite frankly....just because I changed jobs doesn’t change my terms of service or why you are recruiting me.  So I get 5 weeks and 3 personal days.  

The US is  terrible.  I hope zero people want to ever immigrate here again.  In fact so want people to leave it is so terrible.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    I have a friend who has lived in Paris for almost 20 years working for a French company.  He gets off all of August, 2 weeks at Christmas, and another 2 weeks to use as he wishes. This is in addition  to sick leave and personal days.
  • Options
    I have a friend who has lived in Paris for almost 20 years working for a French company.  He gets off all of August, 2 weeks at Christmas, and another 2 weeks to use as he wishes. This is in addition  to sick leave and personal days.
    Yeah, France has a 52 day minimum for paid vacation I believe (I had a French BF once, and I'm pretty sure that's what he said it was).
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

It's a right in all developed countries except America. But Canada is really bad with this as well - it ranks 3rd to last in paid vacations among developed nations. Guess who ranks last? Yes, the USA is called "the no vacation nation" in other countries. I can't figure out why Americans are so agreeable to this failure on the part of their government (just like I don't understand why they continue to tolerate their for-profit healthcare system aka human rights violation). Paid vacation minimums are the norm, and proven to have a positive impact in many regards. 

Even being that shamefully far down the list, Canada has basic minimums for paid vacations under the Canada Labour Code. Some provinces provide more than the minimum dictated federally, but no provinces can offer less than that. Obviously individual employers can and often do provide more vacation than is legally required (I have worked for my employer for I think 16 years, and am up to 7 weeks vacation/year. I started with 3). The basic entitlement in Canada is two weeks of vacation for every completed "year of employment". After six consecutive years of employment with the same employer, the entitlement increases to three weeks of vacation.

That sounds about normal for here. They may not be mandated by law, but that is close to what the average is according to the wikipedia post provided earlier. It is listed as one of the worst because there is no federal requirement for it thoguh.
    But honestly, I don't of anyone who works a full-time salary job without weeks of vacation pay with the exception of someone self-employed or commission based pay. The 20% or so who don't get it could easily be made up of those jobs. In either case it would be impossible to provide paid leave for that, and that probably is about 20% of workers who fall into those categories. I don't think anyone is so agreeable to take on a salary job without paid vacation.
    Hourly jobs are a different story, but even some of those still pay for time off. I'm assuming all these regulations only apply to salary positions though.
    I just question the reports that say it is as bad as that and don't account for those circumstances, such as wikipedia. I find it difficult to believe that only 77% of full time salary positions receive vacation time. You could get to 77% by ignoring the factors I pointed out.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, France has a 52 day minimum for paid vacation I believe (I had a French BF once, and I'm pretty sure that's what he said it was).
    5 weeks (30 days with Saturdays, but not Sundays counted as holidays) plus up to 22 days of RTT (Réduction du Temps de Travail, English: Reduction of Working Time) for the employees that choose to work more than 35 hours per week - the "limit" is 39 per week, further additional hours are compensated in almost all the cases by money and not by additional leave hours. Bonus days off are given to people who take a part of their annual leave outside summer (3 days grant 1 bonus day off, 6 days grant 2 bonus days off). Combining all these rules, in a few public offices and in a few companies like Orange, the resulting total, for certain employees, might be of 9.5 paid vacation weeks (5 weeks of vacation + 4 weeks of RTT + 0.5 week of bonus days off). Furthermore, there are 11 paid public holidays
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    5 weeks (30 days with Saturdays, but not Sundays counted as holidays) plus up to 22 days of RTT (Réduction du Temps de Travail, English: Reduction of Working Time) for the employees that choose to work more than 35 hours per week - the "limit" is 39 per week, further additional hours are compensated in almost all the cases by money and not by additional leave hours. Bonus days off are given to people who take a part of their annual leave outside summer (3 days grant 1 bonus day off, 6 days grant 2 bonus days off). Combining all these rules, in a few public offices and in a few companies like Orange, the resulting total, for certain employees, might be of 9.5 paid vacation weeks (5 weeks of vacation + 4 weeks of RTT + 0.5 week of bonus days off). Furthermore, there are 11 paid public holidays
    That sounds amazing! And I love the 39 hour rule.
    I never looked into it, but was told a law was passed that employees paid less than 50k must be hourly here. Because too many employers were forcing the employees to work over time without pay, for a job less than 50k. Totally sucks.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That sounds amazing! And I love the 39 hour rule.
    I never looked into it, but was told a law was passed that employees paid less than 50k must be hourly here. Because too many employers were forcing the employees to work over time without pay, for a job less than 50k. Totally sucks.
    my dad worked for YEARS at an office job, working essentially unpaid overtime. like 2-3 hours DAILY. it robbed him and us of so much quality time all because he was over a certain salary, and he basically was told (this was the 80's) do it or go work somewhere else (and that it was his fault he didn't work faster). 

at one point he chose a demotion for himself and never worked another hour of unpaid OT. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    What our company says about Europe:  they work 24/7.  24 hours a week 7 months a year.
  • Options
    What our company says about Europe:  they work 24/7.  24 hours a week 7 months a year.
    They've got something figured out then.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    For sure they do.  
This discussion has been closed.