Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    As I have said a hundred times, I do not support the NRA.
    I have no issues with you having a gun protecting your family.  I have the same.  I do have an issue with poorly trained teachers having weapons around my children in a classroom.  I am supportive of resource officers in the school.  My district has them today.  What I'm adamantly against is having semi auto rifles being legal weapons.  
    This isn't about "banning the 2A", it's about common sense regulations on weapons of war, not protection.  
    Semi auto rifles are not weapons of war.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-ar-15-inventor-speaks-out-n593356

The creator of the AR-15 seemed to believe otherwise.

It is tiresome proving you wrong. Fucking ponderous.
    Heresay.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    Can we summarize the suggested actions (for either handling the gun problem in schools or public areas)? Not the reasons behind them, just strictly the actions themselves. At this point, I think I’ve heard:

1. Arm teachers with tasers
    2. Arm teachers with guns
    3. Deploy armed guards in schools
    4. Deploy armed guards in public facilities
    5. Ban guns
    6. Ban assault type weapons
    7. Increase gun control

Have I missed any?

Somehow, somefucking how because I don't know how to do this, but somehow stop kids from turning into bullies.  My wife told me about an article by this guy who said he had planned a mass shooting at his school because he was sick to death of being bullied.  The only reason he didn't carry out his plan was because he was too stoned.   I don't know if all these details are correct but the point is if we stopped the bulling, some of these incidents wouldn't happen. 
    I agree the fucking bullying has to stop on all levels ...

It also doesn’t help that people in charge do not seem recogonize that every person at that school is traumatized .... a generation of young people are being traumatized mentally and likely not getting the help they need, which may lead to bullying...I thought it was tough when I was young...didn’t have this going on that often.
    social media increases bullying 10000000X.  I would not want to grow up with today's technology.  Unfortunately I think this is one of many reasons the we have gun violence in this country.  And yes I realize the rest of the world has social media but here in america we have all those guns that kids can easily access.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,654
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    I have no issues with you having a gun protecting your family.  I have the same.  I do have an issue with poorly trained teachers having weapons around my children in a classroom.  I am supportive of resource officers in the school.  My district has them today.  What I'm adamantly against is having semi auto rifles being legal weapons.  
    This isn't about "banning the 2A", it's about common sense regulations on weapons of war, not protection.  

Heresay.
    It's not hearsay that the weapon was designed as a replacement for the M-14.  Remember you said it's not a weapon of war, when it certainly was designed to be.  I think it's irrelevant how the inventor would feel about it today.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:

Heresay.
    It's not hearsay that the weapon was designed as a replacement for the M-14.  Remember you said it's not a weapon of war, when it certainly was designed to be.  I think it's irrelevant how the inventor would feel about it today.  
    Russel, I own two m1 garand s, obviously weapons of war.  Cool to own?  Realize they aren’t from 1945 and 1942. .
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Teachers and all that "time off" LOL. 

I remember my teaching days.  Lesson plans, reading, correcting papers, material requisitions (AKA begging for supplies), after school meetings, board meetings, fund raising, teacher-parent conferences, extra curricular activities, counseling, refresher courses at the college level, etc. 

Oh yeah, all that time off.  :lol:
    And you were still overpaid.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that!  :lol:
    He obviously has never stepped foot in front of a class! lol.
    I'm pretty sure he was kidding!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I remember my teaching days.  Lesson plans, reading, correcting papers, material requisitions (AKA begging for supplies), after school meetings, board meetings, fund raising, teacher-parent conferences, extra curricular activities, counseling, refresher courses at the college level, etc. 

Yup 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:

Heresay.
    Russel, I own two m1 garand s, obviously weapons of war.  Cool to own?  Realize they aren’t from 1945 and 1942. .
    An M1 Garand without a BAR modification can shoot what.. 10 rounds without reloading?  That's similar (less than) to many hand guns.  I also don't believe it carries a bullet nearly as deadly as a .223 and certainly isn't metal piercing from 500 yards like an AR and its variants.  If I'm wrong, correct me.  
    But if you notice I have not advocated for a gun turn in program.  The AR's capacity, speed, accuracy and ability to make automatic leads me to my conclusion that these should no longer be sold and hopefully phased out completely from the streets eventually. 
  • Options
    Sorry - just noticed your second part.. they aren't WWII era?  What are they then?  It went Springfield to M1 to M14 I thought.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

My bad on that!! Sorry Halifax. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Sorry - just noticed your second part.. they aren't WWII era?  What are they then?  It went Springfield to M1 to M14 I thought.  
    Yes ww2 and Korea. 30.06 semi auto 8 round enbloc clip. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    My opinion, those are not even in the same stratosphere as an AR or modern semi. 30 aught is powerful but 8 rounds gives time to counter/flee or whatever.  What do you think?
  • Options
    No need to apologize. Teachers are not paid nearly enough for what they do and the impact they have. I can still name 5 teachers that had a huge impact on my K-12 life:

Ms. Barbara, third grade. She lived with Miss Pitts and was queer before we knew what queer was. She wore all black or leopard print and drove a black Cadillac and reminded us of Cruella DaVille. She also hosted an afternoon chess club and made us read aloud and walk, pacing or reading and walking so we ended the sentence at the end of the aisle between the desks. When she leaned against the chalk board in all black dress, the lesson would transfer to her back and we’d all snicker. She also totally missed her lips with her bright red lipstick and once taped a kids mouth shut. Mike Klinkhammer was his name.

Mrs. Loomis, 6th grade. She taught me math one on one because for the life of me I couldn’t figure it out in class. She’d take me down the hall to the cafeteria and work with me day after day. I still suck at math. But she tried hard, had the patience of a saint and never gave up.

Mr. Rossati, 8th grade. Home room and social studies. He let us play music in homeroom before classes started and incorporated music and music history into social studies lessons. He was cool. Listened to a lot of Led Zep and Neil Young in that class. Also let us kill the last 20 minutes of class in the warmer weather by letting us go outside and sit on the bleachers.

Mr. McEniney, 12th grade ecology. Planned and took us on really cool field trips and looked the other way. A lot. Was also very cool, particularly when calling attendance, busting on us or when he announced your name over the PA at football games.

Mr. Laffy, 12th grade political science. He had us debate and read the paper every day and we reported out on the days news based on what you had been assigned, International, National, state, local, sports, etc. small class of 12 and we paired off and debated an assigned topic.

Each and every one of them inspired me, reached me, saw my potential where I saw none, got me excited to learn and made a huge impact on my intellectual development. Without them at any point along the way, I could have been totally lost. As it is, I’m only half lost. Teachers don’t get paid nearly enough and have my utmost respect.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    My opinion, those are not even in the same stratosphere as an AR or modern semi. 30 aught is powerful but 8 rounds gives time to counter/flee or whatever.  What do you think?
    I own two of them so I am ok with them lol. Definitely not in the same league as an ar or ak.
  • Options
    Halifax, awesome stories!!  
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    edited February 2018
    Everyone knows that teachers are all overpaid underworked leftists that only want to brainwash the children  
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I grew up through the school system 2001 - 2014. I’d say half my teachers were useless garbage, and the other half were super awesome and impactful. Starting salary in AK is $51,000 for high school and I’m not sure about k - 8. Some teachers deserve more, but some suck bad. Just my opinion. 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    mrussel1 said:
    unsung said:

Heresay.

Guns are weapons of war

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_firearm
    Ctrl+f "hunting"
    1 result
    Ctrl+f "war"
    15 results

Guns were invented, developed, designed, & evolved to make it easier for people to kill as many other people as possible
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246
    But we're going to arm them. Ok. No money to pay them, but a bonus for carrying a firearm as a volunteer. Fuck this country.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/24/17048162/west-virginia-teacher-strike-public-schools
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    It’s way to hard to follow every response that debates this or that.

Can we not agree on better background checks?

Statistically can we not agree that the ban didn’t change anything.  You can’t argue statistics. 

Can you not agree that parading children out by pushing an ideology on them is wrong?

can we not agree that something needs to change?

i guess I don’t understand this idea that if you aren’t for banning guns then you don’t care.

Im all for this “common sense” reform, just what exactly is it?

No, I for one am not going to agree to your false and misleading statements. “Parading children out by pushing an ideology on them” .... you think teens can’t think for themselves and decide whether they are interested in gun control or not? You think that gun control is by definition a false ideology? And finally, you think that the republicans and even the NRA don’t “parade children” when it suits them?

And also I disagree with your characterization that the ban achieved nothing. 
    You are exactly the type of person that you can’t have a conversation  about gun control with.  Just read your response and put it in context with your reply.  You create a huge huh?  What? 

And yes, I firmly believe that at the age of 14 to almost mid to late 20’s, a person is so directly influenced by ideas they think that they think work, that they haven’t realized the different between reality and ideology.  And if you want to pretend that a 17 year old has it all figured out for themselves, then you are, well I’m not going to name call but yea...

It’s east to target laws, the infamous NRA.  These are all things that you, and this is a very important word, that “you” feel like you can control.  So I just say keep fighting your fight.  But eventually you will rub out of ideas that that you think you can control and the world will probably be worse off. 

So I guess you are saying to Brian something like, "Learn how to cope with the status quo because the US is incapable of making any meaningful change effort with regards to gun control."

Station Navy Seals in schools and be prepared to gun down 'those dumb teenagers' capable of acquiring AR15s and hell bent on murdering many people, but incapable of formulating independent thoughts (I'm paraphrasing you again in your response to Reading).

You might be right. Seeing the arguments against gun control and seeing things like who you elected as your president... your country just might not have the ability or will to pull off the required changes necessary for a safer society.

It's too bad.

Hey... what state do you think your next mass shooting is going to be in? What's the over/under for fatalities?
    Sadly no.  You put a lot of words in my mouth and made many false assumptions.  

As I clearly stated, we both on the points I gave can agree and disagree.  A solution can come from being grown up and talking.  Not becoming a sensationalist or putting words in the other persons mouth.  It’s a point of okay, we have defined our common ground, let’s go from here.  I’m sure his ideas can teach me something I haven’t thought about, and I’m sure mine can do the same.  

Lets try and be adults and not try to regurgitate your favorite MSNB, CNN, Fox News anchor who feeds opinions and personal analysis.  

But it if that’s what you got out of it, good for you.
  • Options

Statistically can we not agree that the ban didn’t change anything.  You can’t argue statistics. 

Can you not agree that parading children out by pushing an ideology on them is wrong?

i guess I don’t understand this idea that if you aren’t for banning guns then you don’t care.

No, I for one am not going to agree to your false and misleading statements. “Parading children out by pushing an ideology on them” .... you think teens can’t think for themselves and decide whether they are interested in gun control or not? You think that gun control is by definition a false ideology? And finally, you think that the republicans and even the NRA don’t “parade children” when it suits them?

You are exactly the type of person that you can’t have a conversation  about gun control with.  Just read your response and put it in context with your reply.  You create a huge huh?  What? 

And yes, I firmly believe that at the age of 14 to almost mid to late 20’s, a person is so directly influenced by ideas they think that they think work, that they haven’t realized the different between reality and ideology.  And if you want to pretend that a 17 year old has it all figured out for themselves, then you are, well I’m not going to name call but yea...

It’s east to target laws, the infamous NRA.  These are all things that you, and this is a very important word, that “you” feel like you can control.  So I just say keep fighting your fight.  But eventually you will rub out of ideas that that you think you can control and the world will probably be worse off. 

So I guess you are saying to Brian something like, "Learn how to cope with the status quo because the US is incapable of making any meaningful change effort with regards to gun control."

Station Navy Seals in schools and be prepared to gun down 'those dumb teenagers' capable of acquiring AR15s and hell bent on murdering many people, but incapable of formulating independent thoughts (I'm paraphrasing you again in your response to Reading).

You might be right. Seeing the arguments against gun control and seeing things like who you elected as your president... your country just might not have the ability or will to pull off the required changes necessary for a safer society.

It's too bad.

Hey... what state do you think your next mass shooting is going to be in? What's the over/under for fatalities?

As I clearly stated, we both on the points I gave can agree and disagree.  A solution can come from being grown up and talking.  Not becoming a sensationalist or putting words in the other persons mouth.  It’s a point of okay, we have defined our common ground, let’s go from here.  I’m sure his ideas can teach me something I haven’t thought about, and I’m sure mine can do the same.  

Lets try and be adults and not try to regurgitate your favorite MSNB, CNN, Fox News anchor who feeds opinions and personal analysis.  

Are you stoned? Maybe just a little?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    I grew up through the school system 2001 - 2014. I’d say half my teachers were useless garbage, and the other half were super awesome and impactful. Starting salary in AK is $51,000 for high school and I’m not sure about k - 8. Some teachers deserve more, but some suck bad. Just my opinion. 
    Well that will be true of any place you work and any group of people you are around for the rest of your life... Some are great, most are good, several will suck.  Teachers are people just like everyone else.  
  • Options

It's too bad.

This response needed some editing- it's not very clear on what you are trying to say outside of the fact that you didn't like what I had to say. I never put words in your mouth- I clarified my interpretations of what you were trying to express: if I was wrong understanding what you were trying to say... feel free to correct me (but I think I was right).

In case you haven't really stopped to think about it a whole lot... figuring out how to maintain the status quo with outrageous schemes such as 'arm the teachers' is about as bad as it can get. Arm the teachers? This is a serious response to the burgeoning epidemic your country faces? Geezuz.  

I mean... we can all agree there is a problem. Great! However, these types of 'improvements' are hardly progress towards solving it and are most certainly not efforts to find middle ground. These are efforts to preserve and promote a mentality which to this point in time has facilitated mass murder.

Middle ground is agreeing on rigid background checks, limiting magazine capacities, restricting certain weapon characteristics... these types of things. And, of course, these things will never get agreed upon by two sides so far apart: one side seeking to safeguard their country while the other side fears a hostile takeover from a tyrannical government or simply likes to shoot cool guns.

I'm hoping the kids will win this battle. They'll likely stay motivated: there's a school shooting of the sensational variety soon to happen... so the movement will continue to be motivated. The NRA and the republicans would do well to recognize this external threat (future voters) to their organizations. They've already pressured major companies to stop endorsing the NRA.  
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Nothing pleases the NRA more than moving the "solution" to more guns.  Their benefactors (manufacturers) are very pleased with that type of solution.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump spent the last two days insisting that he was ready to find compromise on gun control measures in the wake of the murders of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida last week. 

He expressed support for expanded background checks and for raising the age to buy a rifle from 18 to 21 and argued that he wasn't at all worried about blowback from the National Rifle Association.
    That all changed during Trump's speech Friday morning at the Conservative Political Action Conference just outside Washington. Talking about the stakes of the 2018 election, Trump said that if Democrats win back control of Congress "they'll take away your 2nd Amendment."
    As he closed his speech, Trump again said Democrats want to repeal the 2nd Amendment: "They will do that, they will do that," he said.
    • Options
      wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
      Lets just say teachers did start to carry..How long til an offhand " Ill shoot you " comment is made? Yeah, I know a good teacher would never say that but not all teachers are good and even the great ones have bad days...A student could just make the accusation and it becomes a mess..This is insanity...
       We need solid parenting. Don't let kids grow up on social media.Raise the age limit and ban assault weapons.That doesn't eliminate the problem of the guns that are already out there.Maybe a Gov't buy back.Quit selling the ammo for these things.I'm sure some will make their own but at least its a step.
      Charlottesville 2013
      Hampton 2016

• Options
      Maybe I missed this but I don’t recall seeing it posted here. 

According to this recent poll, 97% of the population supports universal background checks.  Too bad those in the 3% have so much influence, just by shouting the loudest and waving around fistfulls of cash. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/374692-poll-97-percent-support-background-checks-for-all-gun-buyers%3famp
    • Options
      What firearm sales don’t require a background check? And has any of these shooters acquired a firearm by bypassing a background check?
    • Options
      mcgruff10 said:
      What firearm sales don’t require a background check? And has any of these shooters acquired a firearm by bypassing a background check?

Not all states require background checks for sales through private (unlicensed) vendors
    • Options
      mcgruff10 said:
      Gun show..
    This discussion has been closed.