Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    The people who want more security in schools as well as train and arm teachers and school staff are the same people who want to reduce government spending and believe that teachers are overpaid.

:dizzy:
    I think very few people support arming teachers. That is not a common viewpoint for GOP or gun owners.
    I don't think that's true.  It's everywhere.
    I hear more security, maybe increase the number of campus police. But I only hear a few say give teachers guns.
    I hear that teachers should have the right to protect themselves by carrying a gun if they chose more often, but I just haven't hear any politician or anyone outside of a few maybe on facebook or here suggest that giving teachers guns is going to solve it.
    I just never saw that as an option anyone has taken seriously.
    I don’t think anyone is advocating “giving” them to the teachers or forcing/requiring them to be armed...I would not be supportive of this.  Allowing them to voluntarily arm themselves- yes (with mandatory strict training and certification).
    And when they inevitably become the active shooter?
    Well that's simple. The hall monitors will now be armed. With proper training as an elective course obviously. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:
    Ban gun sales. Still 300 million guns already out there. Seize the weapons. Risk a war on American soil. Arm the teachers, liberals won’t have it. Take the guns, conservatives won’t have it. Spend efforts figuring out why certain people commit mass murder, and figure out how to stop these people. Reasonable but not talked about. If you think that guy wouldn’t have shot up the school if he couldn’t get an AR 15, you are in denial. I’m sorry, but banning AR15s will not stop mass murders in schools or anywhere else. We need to stop romanticizing these killers. These are human scum looking for a mark in a history book. 

Ive states before, I do not own guns and personally do not really care for them. But I can’t see a van changing anything at all. Personally. I think it’s a good sounding solution that’s emotionally driven and not logically driven. 

A ban actually did change things back in the 90's. More extensive bans have worked in most other civilized societies. Why would it not work here, again....especially with more expensive background checks and more security at schools?

Question for you: Since you say if the guy couldn't get an AR 15 he would still have been able to shoot up the school...my question is how would he have been able to do the same damage if he could not get his hands on an automatic rifle?

And if non automatic rifles would accomplish the same thing....well, why do these shootings all happen with automatic rifles then? Seems to me, and I would think the shooters as well since they're the one using them, that the automatic rifles make killing mass amounts of people way easier than non automatic rifles.

It was not an automatic rifle. It was semi-automatic. No different than a hand gun or a normal rifle. Fully automatic has been banned since the 80s. The only difference is the amount of bullets it holds. Two hand guns would have done the same damage. 

Semi-auto means you pull the trigger, and one bullet comes out. 

Meant to say assault rifles. AR-15 was included in the 94-04 ban.

Question for you: if two hand guns would do the same damage.....why do we never see any mass shootings with the shooter using two hand guns? Why do they always use assault rifles? My guess is it's way easier...

This wasn't directed at me, but wanted to respond to this and another post you had.
    Columbine was a hand gun and shot gun each. One of the guns was a tech 9, but definitely not an assault rifle. They weren't the only ones without an assault rifle. Out of the 4 or 5 that I can remember off the top of my head of what was used, Virginia Tech I think was hand guns too.
    You mentioned the effectiveness of the assault rifle ban. There is a lot of debate if the assault bad did anything to prevent shootings. Pretty much the only evidence to support that it did was that mass shootings have increased since the ban was lifted. But since many of these are thought to be Columbine inspired among many other factors, I would agree with those who say there is nothing to point that the ban was or was not effective.

All that being said, I would be for a ban of assault rifles. I just dont think it would have the impact many expect.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:
    Ban gun sales. Still 300 million guns already out there. Seize the weapons. Risk a war on American soil. Arm the teachers, liberals won’t have it. Take the guns, conservatives won’t have it. Spend efforts figuring out why certain people commit mass murder, and figure out how to stop these people. Reasonable but not talked about. If you think that guy wouldn’t have shot up the school if he couldn’t get an AR 15, you are in denial. I’m sorry, but banning AR15s will not stop mass murders in schools or anywhere else. We need to stop romanticizing these killers. These are human scum looking for a mark in a history book. 

Ive states before, I do not own guns and personally do not really care for them. But I can’t see a van changing anything at all. Personally. I think it’s a good sounding solution that’s emotionally driven and not logically driven. 

A ban actually did change things back in the 90's. More extensive bans have worked in most other civilized societies. Why would it not work here, again....especially with more expensive background checks and more security at schools?

Question for you: Since you say if the guy couldn't get an AR 15 he would still have been able to shoot up the school...my question is how would he have been able to do the same damage if he could not get his hands on an automatic rifle?

And if non automatic rifles would accomplish the same thing....well, why do these shootings all happen with automatic rifles then? Seems to me, and I would think the shooters as well since they're the one using them, that the automatic rifles make killing mass amounts of people way easier than non automatic rifles.

It was not an automatic rifle. It was semi-automatic. No different than a hand gun or a normal rifle. Fully automatic has been banned since the 80s. The only difference is the amount of bullets it holds. Two hand guns would have done the same damage. 

Question for you: if two hand guns would do the same damage.....why do we never see any mass shootings with the shooter using two hand guns? Why do they always use assault rifles? My guess is it's way easier...

Lighter. Easier to carry.

Yah. You won't get a response to this question. One worth anything anyways.
    Never.
    Only two handguns used in Virginia Tech, right?
    Do you know that was '07?
    Yes...what’s your point, they asked why handguns were never used in these incidents...did I miss something?

I didn't say never. Why are they not used as frequently as assault rifles?

And that kid was also fucked up in the head right? Another example why need a more extensive background check.

You, in fact, did say “never”:
    ”.why do we never see any mass shootings with the shooter using two hand guns? Why do they always use assault rifles?”
    But I’m okay with background checks as most are.  You have to get an FBI background check before getting a license to carry...
    Hey! Semantics!

Why don’t we see more people using handguns nearly as often as assault rifles in these mass shootings?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:

Never.
    Yes...what’s your point, they asked why handguns were never used in these incidents...did I miss something?
    My bad, I thought you guys were still referring to the ban period. Anyway, the  handguns worked because of this:

He then walked to Norris Hall. In a backpack, he carried several chains, locks, a hammer, a knife, two handguns with nineteen 10- and 15-round magazines, and nearly 400 rounds of ammunition.

About two hours after the initial shootings, Cho entered Norris Hall, which housed the Engineering Science and Mechanics program among others, and chained the three main entrance doors shut. He placed a note on one of the chained doors, claiming that attempting to open the door would cause a bomb to explode. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    Correct me if I am wrong, 

in sandy hook, didn’t the medical examiner date that the rifle wasn’t used and it was a short barrel hand gun that was used to kill? 

I remember the video of him, but I could be wrong. 

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Damn, pretty sure grenades and land mines are illegal and very hard to obtain though, right?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Damn, pretty sure grenades and land mines are illegal and very hard to obtain though, right?
    Do you think he would’ve killed more people with an AR15 or with a grenade?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    Idk, what are your thoughts?  He was obviously able to obtain both...regardless of their legality.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Idk, what are your thoughts?  He was obviously able to obtain both...regardless of their legality.
    I'd say he'd probably kill a shit load of people with that assault rifle...crazy how he apparently purchased it with that intent, huh?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,890
    this is good:  

Trump moves to ban 'bump stocks' 4 months after Las Vegas shooting

Good Morning America ALEXANDER MALLIN,Good Morning America 1 hour 8 minutes ago 

Trump to host school shooting victims for listening session

President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he has signed a memorandum directing Attorney General Jeff Sessions to propose new regulations that would ban devices that can effectively turn legal weapons into machine guns.

The news comes four months after the Las Vegas concert mass shooting, in which the gunman was found to have used 'bump stocks' that significantly increased the rate of fire for the multiple assault weapons he used from his perch on an upper floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel.

"I expect that these critical regulations will be finalized, Jeff, very soon," Trump said during a ceremony in the White House for Medal of Valor recipients. "The key in all of these efforts, as I said the day after shooting, is that we must not take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference - we must take actions that actually make a difference."

The announcement comes as the administration faces new pressure over accusations of inaction in the wake of multiple deadly shootings, most recently last week's school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

President Trump will host individuals impacted by some of the country's worst school shootings for a listening session at the White House on Wednesday, according to press secretary Sarah Sanders.

Sanders told reporters Tuesday that community members and victims from last week's Parkland, Fla. school shooting, as well as victims from the Columbine and Sandy Hook shootings, have been invited to meet at the White House.

Sanders said the listening session would focus on a "wide range of issues."

"You have a number of people that have unfortunately been through horrific tragedy like the one we saw in Parkland, Florida, last week as well as some that hope they never have to go through that," Sanders said. "This is a listening session to see what can be done better, what the actual concerns of the students are, what they would like to see."

After the shooting in Parkland, a number of students have called for marches across the country to promote new gun restrictions. The White House has so far only stated support for a bill that would seek to improve the national background check system.

Sanders did not answer definitively, however, when asked whether the president would oppose reinstating a ban on assault weapons.

“We haven't closed the door on any front,” Sanders said. “That's what the next several days and weeks will be, to have conversations and see what this process looks like.”

The briefing is Sanders' first in a week, after the White House cancelled a Valentine's Day briefing, citing the school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Right. You can't stop every illegal item from being obtained, but you sure as hell can make it harder than walking in to your local Wal-Mart.

With that logic, why try anything, right? Someone will find a way around the law.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Besides using the excuse that our current government will never make it happen, will someone please explain why any of these things shouldn't be done to combat gun violence and if not what civil right or constitutional privilege does it restrict:

1. National Gun Registry
    2. Psychological Exam included with full criminal and mental health background prior to purchase
    3. Limit all firearms to a maximum of a 5 round magazine (current owners offered buy back or allowed to maintain legacy ownership without sale of firearm and if registered)

No bans, no take aways and more extensive backgrounds.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Mag limits to 10 or 15 rounds is a great way to start. 
    Why not 5? What do you need 10 to 15 rounds for? 
    See what you did, you went with no compromise. If you went 5 then a hell of a lot of guns would be illegal. Revolvers for example, m1 garand s, tube fed .22’s.
    It's a compromise, just not one you like. It would require changes in manufacturing.moving forward.
    Yeah, but there are already millions out there that are not really mass casualty weapons.
    A standard .22 hunting rifle for small game and varmint control is between 10 and 15 shots, but whether bolt action or semi-automatic, it is tube fed and impossible to reload in a mass shooting as each bullet is fed into a tube by hand.  
    These are the weapons that, if legislation isn't careful to skirt, will wreck gun control efforts.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    this is good:  

President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he has signed a memorandum directing Attorney General Jeff Sessions to propose new regulations that would ban devices that can effectively turn legal weapons into machine guns.

The news comes four months after the Las Vegas concert mass shooting, in which the gunman was found to have used 'bump stocks' that significantly increased the rate of fire for the multiple assault weapons he used from his perch on an upper floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel.

"I expect that these critical regulations will be finalized, Jeff, very soon," Trump said during a ceremony in the White House for Medal of Valor recipients. "The key in all of these efforts, as I said the day after shooting, is that we must not take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference - we must take actions that actually make a difference."

The announcement comes as the administration faces new pressure over accusations of inaction in the wake of multiple deadly shootings, most recently last week's school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

President Trump will host individuals impacted by some of the country's worst school shootings for a listening session at the White House on Wednesday, according to press secretary Sarah Sanders.

Sanders told reporters Tuesday that community members and victims from last week's Parkland, Fla. school shooting, as well as victims from the Columbine and Sandy Hook shootings, have been invited to meet at the White House.

"You have a number of people that have unfortunately been through horrific tragedy like the one we saw in Parkland, Florida, last week as well as some that hope they never have to go through that," Sanders said. "This is a listening session to see what can be done better, what the actual concerns of the students are, what they would like to see."

After the shooting in Parkland, a number of students have called for marches across the country to promote new gun restrictions. The White House has so far only stated support for a bill that would seek to improve the national background check system.

Sanders did not answer definitively, however, when asked whether the president would oppose reinstating a ban on assault weapons.

“We haven't closed the door on any front,” Sanders said. “That's what the next several days and weeks will be, to have conversations and see what this process looks like.”

The briefing is Sanders' first in a week, after the White House cancelled a Valentine's Day briefing, citing the school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

That's great, but we can all see this is being used to avoid addressing the real issues of the typical shootings, right? This is the smoke screen that's being sold as a solution.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    this is good:  

That's great, but we can all see this is being used to avoid addressing the real issues of the typical shootings, right? This is the smoke screen that's being sold as a solution.
    And with $31,000,000 from the NRA... there's pretty much nothing more Trump will do than this.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    this is good:  

PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    riley540 said:
    riley540 said:

Never.

I didn't say never. Why are they not used as frequently as assault rifles?

And that kid was also fucked up in the head right? Another example why need a more extensive background check.

Leading from the rear.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Hi Mom!  The weather is great in Florida...

Odd way to show grief.

• Options
    unsung said:

Odd way to show grief.

You're the problem here.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/florida-shooting-survivors-parkland_us_5a8c54dce4b0273053a52821
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Safest school in America...

Oddly, thanks to technology they were able make this school extremely safe.

https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/video/tour-the-safest-school-in-america-see-its-built-in-smoke-bombs-520899139902
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    @unsung
    You maybe missed it before, you mentioned that there were many complaints about Cruz and nothing was done.  I asked what would you have had done, since he committed no crimes.
    I'll ask again, and this time I'll be candid and point out that your posts, while not threatening at all, would make many people question your mental health and fitness to own guns.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:

Odd way to show grief.

You're the problem here.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/florida-shooting-survivors-parkland_us_5a8c54dce4b0273053a52821
    Keep smiling.
  • Options
    So brave.  LOL.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    unsung said:

Odd way to show grief.

Is there anything the gateway pundit, infowars, russian bots, sean hannity, mike cernovich etc etc etc can say that you WON'T believe? You still think pizzagate is real, don't you?

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/374734-aid-to-florida-state-lawmaker-shooting-survivors-are-actors-not-students

By the way, the gateway pundit is currently being sued for falsely reporting that the Charlottesville car killer was a Michigan teen instead of a white supremacist. You digest fake news on a daily basis.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Having a great time, yucking it up.

How much have they been paid?
  • Options
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:

Odd way to show grief.

You're the problem here.

Keep smiling.
    So, it's all a conspiracy? Student was planted in the school by left wing nuts to push an agenda. It's hard to bite my tongue when you post on here.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    False flag, crisis actors ... all right on cue. It’s all the right has got, frankly. 

Did Hannity mention the child sex slave ring on Mars again?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,111
    66% favor gun restrictions yet our government fails to act on the will of the people.

Kids marching to the state Capitol  and the tone deaf legislature won’t vote on gun restrictions. 

Who exactly are our representatives representing?????????

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Having a great time, yucking it up.

How much have they been paid?

You need to have your head examined.

chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.