Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    I find it funny that I only responded to a comment about a post that wanted "more severe punishment" for accidents like this by saying who wouldn't, and resulted in the sarcastic posts that followed like "how reassuring" as if that was a lame idea. I never said it was going to "turn this around." Someone made the comment that they don't understand why anyone would be opposed to punishing these people, I simply said I don't think anyone would be opposed to that. Jump to whatever conclusions you wish to. I guess you really cant please anyone anti-gun until you take every gun away.

And to answer the question "5 years for each victim with 2.5 to serve mandatory be okay with you?"
    Absolutely. If you run a child care and allow small children access to guns under your watch, then absolutely. This was a business of protecting children, and to allow that to happen is just ridiculous. 
    I'd be willing to bet the NRA would be opposed to any kind of "severe punishment." You asked a question and received answers. I guess they triggered you? Too many times those "lawful" gun owners who are responsible for shootings like these don't face any repercussions of import as it's deemed "tragic" or an "accident ," usually both. Start locking these idiots up and I'd be willing to bet people will become more responsible with their thunder sticks and boom makers. Nobody talks about the tens of thousands injured by guns every year and the societal cost of that. Owning a gun carries with it a high level of responsibility that I thought republicans were all about, you know, personal responsibility and all. Start holding them accountable. And in Ronny Ray Guns words of infamy, there you go again with, "can't please any anti-gunners until you take every gun away." Talk about dismissive?
    We should probably start locking people up that irresponsibly let children poison themselves with laundry detergent pods, electrocute themselves by unsafe wall outlets, accidentally burn themselves with boiling water, or get mauled by the family pet as well.  Neglectful supervision in all situations, right?  
    As a poster above stated, if the possibility of your child dying is not enough of a deterrent to leaving access to something that could be potentially deadly, then threatening to lock them up probably will not do much good either.  
    I, for one, always keep the consequences of irresponsible firearm storage/usage in the back of my mind, but was taught at an early age the damage a firearm can do.  I, for one, would also be fine with requiring everyone to take a safety class and display a card showing that you have completed that class before buying a firearm.  Hunters have to take a “Hunters education” class before legally getting a hunting license... In these hunter education classes, you learn not to shoot over hills, how to handle your gun while crossing a fence, etc.  What I do not understand is why so many anti-gunners appose more education...???
    This why this debate is lost, you equate guns to laundry detergent. One is made to clean clothes, the other to effectively kill things, including people. Golly, who knew? Might as well pass out bags of broken glass at Halloween.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    I find it funny that I only responded to a comment about a post that wanted "more severe punishment" for accidents like this by saying who wouldn't, and resulted in the sarcastic posts that followed like "how reassuring" as if that was a lame idea. I never said it was going to "turn this around." Someone made the comment that they don't understand why anyone would be opposed to punishing these people, I simply said I don't think anyone would be opposed to that. Jump to whatever conclusions you wish to. I guess you really cant please anyone anti-gun until you take every gun away.

And to answer the question "5 years for each victim with 2.5 to serve mandatory be okay with you?"
    Absolutely. If you run a child care and allow small children access to guns under your watch, then absolutely. This was a business of protecting children, and to allow that to happen is just ridiculous. 
    I'd be willing to bet the NRA would be opposed to any kind of "severe punishment." You asked a question and received answers. I guess they triggered you? Too many times those "lawful" gun owners who are responsible for shootings like these don't face any repercussions of import as it's deemed "tragic" or an "accident ," usually both. Start locking these idiots up and I'd be willing to bet people will become more responsible with their thunder sticks and boom makers. Nobody talks about the tens of thousands injured by guns every year and the societal cost of that. Owning a gun carries with it a high level of responsibility that I thought republicans were all about, you know, personal responsibility and all. Start holding them accountable. And in Ronny Ray Guns words of infamy, there you go again with, "can't please any anti-gunners until you take every gun away." Talk about dismissive?
    We should probably start locking people up that irresponsibly let children poison themselves with laundry detergent pods, electrocute themselves by unsafe wall outlets, accidentally burn themselves with boiling water, or get mauled by the family pet as well.  Neglectful supervision in all situations, right?  
    As a poster above stated, if the possibility of your child dying is not enough of a deterrent to leaving access to something that could be potentially deadly, then threatening to lock them up probably will not do much good either.  
    I, for one, always keep the consequences of irresponsible firearm storage/usage in the back of my mind, but was taught at an early age the damage a firearm can do.  I, for one, would also be fine with requiring everyone to take a safety class and display a card showing that you have completed that class before buying a firearm.  Hunters have to take a “Hunters education” class before legally getting a hunting license... In these hunter education classes, you learn not to shoot over hills, how to handle your gun while crossing a fence, etc.  What I do not understand is why so many anti-gunners appose more education...???
    Which anti-gunners have opposed further gun safety education? There you go again.........
    Plenty, any time I mention education I am met with the “education is not enough” response.  There you go again..........
    It isn't enough. Recognizing that fact isn't the same as opposing education. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

This why this debate is lost, you equate guns to laundry detergent. One is made to clean clothes, the other to effectively kill things, including people. Golly, who knew? Might as well pass out bags of broken glass at Halloween.
    I equated the possible consequences, not the item itself.  Anything, ANYTHING, that a toddler could potentially hurt/kill themselves with should be stored in a safe place.  Why is this so hard for you to understand?  Insecticides and rat poison are made to kill things...so you do not leave them laying around for a child to poison themselves with, right?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

Which anti-gunners have opposed further gun safety education? There you go again.........
    Plenty, any time I mention education I am met with the “education is not enough” response.  There you go again..........
    Education is not enough. You get your license at 16. Have you been back to driver's retraining? Whats the difference? "Responsible" car drivers get tickets for speeding and serve jail time when they kill someone with their car if they did so driving irresponsibly. They're required to have insurance. Registration. Clear title transfer. Graduated licensing. Database statistics collected. You pro-gunners want to constantly shift the blame and not hold your own responsible. Hold them responsible and I don't care how many guns you have. But yea, Obama is coming for your guns. And show me the "plenty" of opposition to gun safety education. Don't confuse the difference of "more" and "its not enough," because its not.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

I equated the possible consequences, not the item itself.  Anything, ANYTHING, that a toddler could potentially hurt/kill themselves with should be stored in a safe place.  Why is this so hard for you to understand?  Insecticides and rat poison are made to kill things...so you do not leave them laying around for a child to poison themselves with, right?
    I sure the other parents will be appropriately compensated for their damages.  Homeowner's insurance covers this, right?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

I sure the other parents will be appropriately compensated for their damages.  Homeowner's insurance covers this, right?
    WTF are you even talking about...once again.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I didn't ask the question. It "triggered" me because I answered the question which was an anti-gun stance question, then everyone who criticized the question to begin with directed it at me with, who didn't even ask it. 
    And I doubt the NRA would be opposed to laws against leaving guns in access to children while in a daycare. I seriously doubt that. For a small child to get a gun and shoot it, it was likely left in the open and loaded. Now if it was a high school kid who broke into a poor quality safe and did it, yes I could see the NRA being against putting those people in prison. But a small child in daycare? I don't see them being against that.
    Why does it have to be a child care center? Why not the "responsible" gun owner in their home, car or grocery store? You answered the question and followed it up with one of your own which was to question who might oppose punishment. The NRA and "responsible " gun owners, that's who. If it were different, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    I never said it has to be a child care center. And my point was the criticism wasn't about asking who would be opposed, which in my mind was a rheotical question because I thought (and still do) that everyone would be okay with a form of punishment in this situation. Maybe I'm wrong about that and it should have been a real question. But the point was it doesn't seem to please anti-gun people to do anything short of taking away all guns because the solution for punishment was asked from the anti-gun perspective, to which I agreed, and instead of addressing the actual question it was followed by other anti-gun remarks or comments like "well that won't stop it" and criticizing the fact that I agree.
    So then what is appropriate? If you're against guns, you can't be against punishing those who allow children access to guns? So what was the point? WHat do you suggest, ban all guns?
    Guns are not going to be banned. SO require proper storage and punish those who don't.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

Education is not enough. You get your license at 16. Have you been back to driver's retraining? Whats the difference? "Responsible" car drivers get tickets for speeding and serve jail time when they kill someone with their car if they did so driving irresponsibly. They're required to have insurance. Registration. Clear title transfer. Graduated licensing. Database statistics collected. You pro-gunners want to constantly shift the blame and not hold your own responsible. Hold them responsible and I don't care how many guns you have. But yea, Obama is coming for your guns. And show me the "plenty" of opposition to gun safety education. Don't confuse the difference of "more" and "its not enough," because its not.
    I thought we were done equating cars to guns... So if a toddler gets in a car and accidentally turns it on and runs over another toddler, what should the consequences for the parents of said toddler be?  If a person accidentally shoots another person, then you better believe there are consequences to that.  
    “Obama is coming for your guns”, give me a break.  Obama only attempted to “come for the ammo”, lol.  He did effectively raise the price of guns for a short time with the “ban assault weapons” rhetoric though.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I didn't ask the question. It "triggered" me because I answered the question which was an anti-gun stance question, then everyone who criticized the question to begin with directed it at me with, who didn't even ask it. 
    And I doubt the NRA would be opposed to laws against leaving guns in access to children while in a daycare. I seriously doubt that. For a small child to get a gun and shoot it, it was likely left in the open and loaded. Now if it was a high school kid who broke into a poor quality safe and did it, yes I could see the NRA being against putting those people in prison. But a small child in daycare? I don't see them being against that.
    If we look into the nitty gritty of that, preventing children from getting their hands on guns means preventing guns from being kept in handbags and briefcases and in holsters on belts. It means going back to what we've talked about on here many times - safe storage. It rules out open carry, and in fact any carry, where children are in the vicinity. And given that, I don't believe that the NRA would be in support. 

I disagree about it ruling out those things. You may be against them for other reasons and thats fine. But open carry doesn't impact safe storage. Mainly because its not being stored, it is in your possession. You are implying a toddler would overpower an adult and take his weapon if he open carries. That just doesnt happen. Open carry, or even concealed carry,  doesn't permit you to leave the gun in the glove box somewhere off your body when children are around, but that is different. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

If we look into the nitty gritty of that, preventing children from getting their hands on guns means preventing guns from being kept in handbags and briefcases and in holsters on belts. It means going back to what we've talked about on here many times - safe storage. It rules out open carry, and in fact any carry, where children are in the vicinity. And given that, I don't believe that the NRA would be in support. 

I disagree about it ruling out those things. You may be against them for other reasons and thats fine. But open carry doesn't impact safe storage. Mainly because its not being stored, it is in your possession. You are implying a toddler would overpower an adult and take his weapon if he open carries. That just doesnt happen. Open carry, or even concealed carry,  doesn't permit you to leave the gun in the glove box somewhere off your body when children are around, but that is different. 
    And the exaggerated rhetoric equating carrying of weapons to leaving them sitting around on tables for toddlers to get to is exactly the reason gun owners fear legislation and exactly why nothing will get done.  The old “give an inch take a mile” adage. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

Can the education include that you and those around you aren't safer when you have a gun?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

Can the education include that you and those around you aren't safer when you have a gun?
    Once again on the “give an inch take a mile”.  I would say that it should focus more on what a firearm can do and why to safely store them and other basic firearm handling/cleaning areas.  The statistics you refer to could iron themselves out based on more people having knowledge of how to be safe and why to be safe at all times...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    ya know? fuck steve scalise. you have an A+ rating from the NRA? maybe it would have been serendipitous for you to die from gun violence.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2017
    Wobbie said:
    ya know? fuck steve scalise. you have an A+ rating from the NRA? maybe it would have been serendipitous for you to die from gun violence.
    edit - ?

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Gun violence gun violence, many hurt and at least 2 killed on the Las Vegas strip. Another SAD day in America.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    20+ killed and 100+ injured.

All done with historic and hunting weapons with small clips, I'm sure.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    What a terrible tragedy.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
      The world sucks.  Flat out sucks right now.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Nasty stuff out there. Intense videos.
     Propped himself on the 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay and opened up on the crowd.
    View of a concert from a couple years ago from a similar vantage point.

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Videos seem to show that it was one of those automatic weapons that nobody has.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    Awful.  I would think responsible gun owners would have actually taken the lead in this.  But unfortunately it seems all many gun owners can do is scream about freedom and a tyrannical government while others are screaming for their lives running from idiots with too powerful guns with too much ammunition. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    50 dead 200 injured man what a sad day poor folks going out for fun only to be gun down !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Or that are so hard to buy with all the laws in place im amazed that anyone has these !
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Awful.  I would think responsible gun owners would have actually taken the lead in this.  But unfortunately it seems all many gun owners can do is scream about freedom and a tyrannical government while others are screaming for their lives running from idiots with too powerful guns with too much ammunition. 

Amen
  • Options
    When will metal detectors be mandatory in all event buildings, all schools, all churches , fucking everywhere ! Specially in casinos I bet you can walk in with anything, how did this man get all these guns and bullets ? Hundreds & hundreds of rounds ! 
  • Options
    We all know after a day or two it will be business as usual ! 
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    my2hands said:

Amen

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    rgambs said:
    That was my first thought as well.... once again, what a horrific situation
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Im kind of ignorant on the subject.  That kind of weapon is illegal, right?
This discussion has been closed.