Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    to the people who vote for politicians who consistently vote against gun control: THIS IS ON YOU
    I agree. Blood on their hands.
    I get what you're saying, but it's not really that simple. I doubt most people truly look at a politicians stance on every issue and most times are balancing the importance of the issues that directly impact them. Many don't think they are contributing to gun violence, but I don't necessarily agree that it is blood on their hands.

You're also viewing it from a liberal lens. Conversatives generally are pro life and would say the same thing to those supporting a pro choice politician. 
    I'm totally okay with aiding and abetting a pro-choice candidate. I am complicit in abortions. If I have blood on my hands for being pro-choice I'm at peace with that. 

Can a pro gun nut say the same thing about being okay with being complicit in a mass shooting? And if you vote for these guys, you are pro gun. They wear it with pride.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I talked with someone that was trying to get his automatic license.  Very extensive background check.  I believe the weapon needs to be made before 1986 although I'm not certain.  He wanted to buy an M-16 for $30K.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    to the people who vote for politicians who consistently vote against gun control: THIS IS ON YOU
    I get what you're saying, but it's not really that simple. I doubt most people truly look at a politicians stance on every issue and most times are balancing the importance of the issues that directly impact them. Many don't think they are contributing to gun violence, but I don't necessarily agree that it is blood on their hands.

You're also viewing it from a liberal lens. Conversatives generally are pro life and would say the same thing to those supporting a pro choice politician. 
    I'm totally okay with aiding and abetting a pro-choice candidate. I am complicit in abortions. If I have blood on my hands for being pro-choice I'm at peace with that. 

Can a pro gun nut say the same thing about being okay with being complicit in a mass shooting? And if you vote for these guys, you are pro gun. They wear it with pride.
    That's ridiculous. Nobody is complicit about a mass shooting. I'm pro gun but abhor any killing/suicides involving a firearm.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,216
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:

That's ridiculous. Nobody is complicit about a mass shooting. I'm pro gun but abhor any killing/suicides involving a firearm.
    really? not even the NRA , the gun lobbyists and the GOP for refusing any sensible gun control legislation?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    "Nobody is complicity.."? That's the part that's ridiculous. Many, many people and organizations are complicit. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Pro gun people have more blood on their hands today.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:

There's a difference between pro gun and anti gun control. The anti gun control supporters are the ones with blood on their hands here.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    So we don't know if these guns were obtained legally.  Automatic guns are extremely hard and expensive to obtain legally.  I support the 2nd amendment.  I have zero blood on my hands.  If you support illegal immigration and an illegal immigrant kills someone, does that mean you have blood on your hands?  Some of these responses are so out there and are just knee jerk reactions.  "Ban the guns!"  "This wouldn't happen if guns were illegal!". My question will be once the facts come in, and if these guns were obtained illegally, how would changing gun laws prevented this?  If the gun was already illegal and obtained illegally then would one more law have made the person stop and say, "oh jeez, I was okay with breaking this law and shooting a bunch of people, but now that they passed this new law, I just don't want to risk it."

At least wait for facts to come in before politicizing and exploiting this situation for your own beliefs.  It's a terrible situation that should never have happened.  Let's get to the issue of why it happened and what could have been done to prevent it.  I think it's best to wait for facts to come in to be able to do that with a clear mind.  Emotional reactions aren't always the best and most thought out reactions.  Just saying.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,216
    edited October 2017
    So we don't know if these guns were obtained legally.  Automatic guns are extremely hard and expensive to obtain legally.  I support the 2nd amendment.  I have zero blood on my hands.  If you support illegal immigration and an illegal immigrant kills someone, does that mean you have blood on your hands?  Some of these responses are so out there and are just knee jerk reactions.  "Ban the guns!"  "This wouldn't happen if guns were illegal!". My question will be once the facts come in, and if these guns were obtained illegally, how would changing gun laws prevented this?  If the gun was already illegal and obtained illegally then would one more law have made the person stop and say, "oh jeez, I was okay with breaking this law and shooting a bunch of people, but now that they passed this new law, I just don't want to risk it."

At least wait for facts to come in before politicizing and exploiting this situation for your own beliefs.  It's a terrible situation that should never have happened.  Let's get to the issue of why it happened and what could have been done to prevent it.  I think it's best to wait for facts to come in to be able to do that with a clear mind.  Emotional reactions aren't always the best and most thought out reactions.  Just saying.
    no, because even if this is a case where someone purchased these illegally it's still fucking insane to think someone can purchase a weapon meant for combat legally in this country.  whether this event happened or not it's still insane we allow those type of guns to be obtained by citizens.  so no let's politicize the fucker now.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Funnily enough, it seems like it's never the right time to talk about gun violence. Probably because there's always another shooting. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,857
    it's just not gun laws. it's gun culture in the US. it's mental health services in the US. it's veteran treatment after they come home from war in the US. it's multi-faceted. screaming "gun control" after every mass shooting does nothing to open dialogue. blaming all gun enthusiasts after every mass shooting does nothing but shuts down the conversation. 

it seems everything in the US is black and white to so many people, and if you don't agree with my opinion, you are a "stupid asshole". yeah, that's going to get shit changed. 

this isn't trump's fault, either. his response was typical of his "only brown people can be terrorists" bullshit, so that's not a surprise. but it's not on him. it's not on the NRA. it's not on anyone but the american voting public who are so apathetic they don't vote for real change. people have the power to make change, and they sit on their hands. 

one shooting in Australia and they make all guns illegal and the general public agrees and no shootings since. of course, the US isn't Australia. But it's not irreversible. change CAN happen. but it's up to the people. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    And Trump Junior wants to reduce or eliminate restrictions on silencers. What a fucking coward. This country is a joke
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:

There's a difference between pro gun and anti gun control. The anti gun control supporters are the ones with blood on their hands here.
    A difference? Yes, I agree. But just varying degrees of guilt.

And for the record, I'm not emotional right now. Just stating my long held beliefs.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jason P said:
    That sounded like an automatic weapon that would lay down ground cover for advancing troops in a war zone.
    It did, the one burst of shots goes on for a very long time for an automatic, with such high fire rate the rounds are usually fired within a few seconds...whatever was being shot, there were hundreds of rounds between reloads.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Jason P said:
    That sounded like an automatic weapon that would lay down ground cover for advancing troops in a war zone.
    It did, the one burst of shots goes on for a very long time for an automatic, with such high fire rate the rounds are usually fired within a few seconds...whatever was being shot, there were hundreds of rounds between reloads.
    I just can't believe he was able to get all of that stuff up to his room on the 32nd floor. Large duffel bag after large duffel bag of ammo and guns. Fucking sadistic. Can you imagine the shell casings pile and the set up he had to do this? Unreal.

In the meantime, some Hollywood exec is contemplating how to make this in to a "based on actual events" movie.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Jason P said:
    There are two sounds that are unmistakable, the racking of a shotgun and automatic gun fire.

That was definitely full auto and not some Hellfire trigger setup.
  • Options
    Did a pastor write Trump's speech for this press conference? 
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    tbergs said:
    Seriousy!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

no, because even if this is a case where someone purchased these illegally it's still fucking insane to think someone can purchase a weapon meant for combat legally in this country.  whether this event happened or not it's still insane we allow those type of guns to be obtained by citizens.  so no let's politicize the fucker now.
    So you are going to attack someone's rights, that if they can pass the extensive background check, that has nothing to do with what happened?  Should we ban alcohol because a minor gets his hands on some and drives drunk and kills someone?  
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    "Pray, pray, pray."

Fantastic leadership.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,857
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    "Pray, pray, pray."

Fantastic leadership.
    the funny thing is, with all of his off-script "performances" over the last 10 months, it's so easy to see when he's reading something that someone else obviously wrote. it's just so fucking phony. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    "Pray, pray, pray."

Fantastic leadership.
    the funny thing is, with all of his off-script "performances" over the last 10 months, it's so easy to see when he's reading something that someone else obviously wrote. it's just so fucking phony. 
    And he's never been a religious man...until he was running for president. The whole thing rings so hollow....and shameless political pandering to his base.

But the speech will be praised. It's gross.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

So you are going to attack someone's rights, that if they can pass the extensive background check, that has nothing to do with what happened?  Should we ban alcohol because a minor gets his hands on some and drives drunk and kills someone?  
    Well we did ban alcohol for minors, and we did make it illegal to sell to a minor, and we did make it illegal to drive intoxicated, and we did set up a system of regulatory laws to control the production and distribution of alcohol soooo...yeah, not a good analogy bud.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:

Well we did ban alcohol for minors, and we did make it illegal to sell to a minor, and we did make it illegal to drive intoxicated, and we did set up a system of regulatory laws to control the production and distribution of alcohol soooo...yeah, not a good analogy bud.

Yes to all of that; however, the missing part is that those guns were used for their intended purpose, i.e. to injure and kill people, neither of which are the intended purposes of cars or alcohol. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    "Pray, pray, pray."

Fantastic leadership.
    And he's never been a religious man...until he was running for president. The whole thing rings so hollow....and shameless political pandering to his base.

But the speech will be praised. It's gross.
    Yeah, no one wanted to touch his speech and just talked about Unity. It's like when GW made a speech after an attack. It's un-american to critique in the face of tragedy apparently.

Paula White wrote that speech for sure; light, dark, god bless.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    ha who would of thought that we have to keep an eye out for the disgruntled 60yr old white dudes instead of the Mexican cutting your lawn or the refugee running from war torn country !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    ha who would of thought that we have to keep an eye out for the disgruntled 60yr old white dudes instead of the Mexican cutting your lawn or the refugee running from war torn country !
    Terrorist come in many forms.  
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    Terrorist come in many forms.  
    Ha!  Depends on who you ask, I'm sure the President disagrees.
  • Options
    Terrorists indeed come in many forms. In the USA, those of the white male form outnumber all the others. 
This discussion has been closed.