America's Gun Violence

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    CM189191 said:

jeffbr said:

Those attempting to modify or confound the founders' meanings should be the ones suggesting the rewrite or amendment of the Amendment.

I don't want the NRA anywhere this.
    :wink: Well played!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,862
    edited November 2016
    Some random homeless guy walked into a high school in this little town (more like a bedroom community) outside of Vancouver a couple of days ago, and stabbed two girls. A 13 year old died, and the other, 14, is still in hospital. Teachers grabbed the guy and held him until cops arrived..... just mentioning because the overwhelming sentiment in the area (besides the usual, like anger and sadness, etc) seems to be 'thank god he didn't have a gun'.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487

So then can we go back to the 2nd amendment's original subject, which is the militia and not the individual?

My state constitution considers me a member of my state militia.

Check. Mate.
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

By me saying it should follow case law should give you your answer. It really should be left up to the States. Most things should.

While that's your opinion and certainly debatable; if only there were a collection of people who were appointed or elected to decide on such things. Then we might have something!
    Well there is a thing called the Constitution. There are also writings from the authors of the Constitution where they go and explain beyond any doubt what their intent was and what expressed powers are.

But anyway I don't trust one head of a serpent to tame the other two.
    Yeah, and guess what, your Holy Constitution has flaws.
    They have been proven.
    There was this thing called the Civil War that showed some of those flaws.
    Another thing called Civil Rights, one called the Great Depression, etc

If you don't consider the Constitution a living document then there are some mighty big problems. Slavery is a toughy.
    What flaws are you referring too?
    The one that allowed people to own people. The one that didn't let women or people of color vote. The one that allowed states to do as they pleased until the country was nearly destroyed. Those are a few.
    The Constitution didn't "allow" it. Government did.
    The 2nd Amendment isn't stopping gun confiscation.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

By me saying it should follow case law should give you your answer. It really should be left up to the States. Most things should.

While that's your opinion and certainly debatable; if only there were a collection of people who were appointed or elected to decide on such things. Then we might have something!
    Well there is a thing called the Constitution. There are also writings from the authors of the Constitution where they go and explain beyond any doubt what their intent was and what expressed powers are.

But anyway I don't trust one head of a serpent to tame the other two.
    Yeah, and guess what, your Holy Constitution has flaws.
    They have been proven.
    There was this thing called the Civil War that showed some of those flaws.
    Another thing called Civil Rights, one called the Great Depression, etc

If you don't consider the Constitution a living document then there are some mighty big problems. Slavery is a toughy.
    What flaws are you referring too?
    The one that allowed people to own people. The one that didn't let women or people of color vote. The one that allowed states to do as they pleased until the country was nearly destroyed. Those are a few.
    Your original post said "has flaws" which would indicate today's constitution. Your are citing flaws from the constitution from the beginning, not current. Those flaws you mentioned have been rectified. What current flaws are there??
    The comment was in the context of a Constitution that isn't considered a living document which can be rectified.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    just another patriot watering the tree of liberty. wonder what militia he belongs to.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/03/the-donald-trump-sign-at-the-cop-killer-s-house.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
    Let's break this down:
    angry because people are kneeling during the national anthem
    says: killing a police officer should be a mandatory death sentence
    returns to football game and waives confederate flag, egging on African-American spectators
    gets ejected from game by police
    proceeds to ambush and kill 2 officers
    That's some impressive mental gymnastics. Wonder who he (was planning on) voting for?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,941
    unsung said:

So then can we go back to the 2nd amendment's original subject, which is the militia and not the individual?

Check. Mate.
    And so I'm sure you're well regulated.

unsung said:

Check. Mate.
    Every day, same time.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Check. Mate.
    Every day, same time.
    Just like every other gun owner who claims they're responsible.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Check. Mate.
    Every day, same time.
    Right after that morning cup of coffee!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Check. Mate.
    Every day, same time.
    Right after that morning cup of coffee!
    That is the truth!
  • PJ_Soul said:

Some random homeless guy walked into a high school in this little town (more like a bedroom community) outside of Vancouver a couple of days ago, and stabbed two girls. A 13 year old died, and the other, 14, is still in hospital. Teachers grabbed the guy and held him until cops arrived..... just mentioning because the overwhelming sentiment in the area (besides the usual, like anger and sadness, etc) seems to be 'thank god he didn't have a gun'.

I saw the clip documenting this. Brutal.

But to your point... it was just a knife and not a gun- could have been much worse.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499

PJ_Soul said:

But to your point... it was just a knife and not a gun- could have been much worse.
    There are quite a few things that could have been much worse. Guns are far from the scariest weapons nutjobs could use. My first thought is "too bad he was not stopped before he was able to kill the girl".
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,862
    edited November 2016
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

There are quite a few things that could have been much worse. Guns are far from the scariest weapons nutjobs could use. My first thought is "too bad he was not stopped before he was able to kill the girl".
    Yeah, and the schools are now planning on locking all school access doors so no one can get in the building except through the main entrance. Which I think is terrible btw. I do not think that restricting freedom is the right way to respond to one random and extremely rare event. Obviously too bad he wasn't stopped first dude. But we can't protect ourselves from everything. If a person goes nuts, there is only so much people can do, depending on the circumstances. The point is, people in that community are basically really thankful that guns aren't easy to get up here, and that he didn't have one because he could have killed many more, and the teachers likely wouldn't have been able to stop him when they did. Um, yeah, I guess people also could be thankful that he didn't come in bearing a flame-thrower or chemical weapons or that he didn't have a bag full of ninja stars and the skills to use them like bullets, right? ... But I think it's a pretty reasonable community, pragmatic, and not crazy, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's because you're under the false belief that if more people are armed, the safer we'll be. It's really the opposite, because the more people that are armed, the more guns there are, therefore there's greater access, which only leads to more dead innocent people.

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

That's because you're under the false belief that if more people are armed, the safer we'll be. It's really the opposite, because the more people that are armed, the more guns there are, therefore there's greater access, which only leads to more dead innocent people.
    You are under the assumption that I am under the assumption...and that is a fact.
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

You are under the assumption that I am under the assumption...and that is a fact.
    I did make an assumption about the part where you said that it was too bad he wasn't killed first. Maybe you're proposing something else?
    edited November 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

I did make an assumption about the part where you said that it was too bad he wasn't killed first. Maybe you're proposing something else?
    Yes, you did. In fact, I never said "killed". I said "stopped". It could have very well been a wacko with a gun. Yes, even in Canada. That is why you have trained staff and proper security protocols. Much like you do for fires or health emergencies.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

Guns are far from the scariest weapons?

I beg to differ. Is there another accessible weapon that poses the lethality a gun does inside a closed environment with a large population of people in it such as a school?

Do you seriously think one of the girls should have been packing heat and blown this freak away before he stabbed them? In the event students were in the habit of carrying guns... to this point in time... there would be significantly more dead teens as a result.
    edited November 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

I beg to differ. Is there another accessible weapon that poses the lethality a gun does inside a closed environment with a large population of people in it such as a school?

Do you seriously think one of the girls should have been packing heat and blown this freak away before he stabbed them? In the event students were in the habit of carrying guns... to this point in time... there would be significantly more dead teens as a result.
    OMG, No! Damn, some of you guys make some broad assumptions. I was more talking about school safety protocols that make it to where not just anyone off the street can gain entry into the schools. Where the fuck did I say the girls should be packing heat? You spun that up in your own head.
    As far as other weapons, pressure cookers have proven to be pretty effective in taking down large populations quickly... IEDs are what scare the shit out of me.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
  • PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

OMG, No! Damn, some of you guys make some broad assumptions. I was more talking about school safety protocols that make it to where not just anyone off the street can gain entry into the schools. Where the fuck did I say the girls should be packing heat? You spun that up in your own head.
    As far as other weapons, pressure cookers have proven to be pretty effective in taking down large populations quickly... IEDs are what scare the shit out of me.
    Thanks for clarifying. There are gun advocates who think people should be armed so you'll have to excuse me for thinking that is what you were getting at.

Home made bombs and things such as bio weapons are illegal- these items are of the sensational variety and don't really have a place in the gun argument. Including them is employing a tactic to try and minimize the potential guns possess. This incident was one injured and one killed because it was a knife. If the weapon was a gun... the numbers might be a lot different.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,377

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks for clarifying. There are gun advocates who think people should be armed so you'll have to excuse me for thinking that is what you were getting at.

Home made bombs and things such as bio weapons are illegal- these items are of the sensational variety and don't really have a place in the gun argument. Including them is employing a tactic to try and minimize the potential guns possess. This incident was one injured and one killed because it was a knife. If the weapon was a gun... the numbers might be a lot different.
    Dirty, In canada you guys leave your school doors unlocked?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

Dirty, In canada you guys leave your school doors unlocked?!
    Yes. During the school day the majority of doors in the schools are unlocked, so students and teaches can come and go. And guess what? We have very, very few school shootings. It's not the presence or absence of locked doors that makes the difference.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited November 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

Pressure cookers are illegal? Pretty sure going to a school and stabbing someone is illegal too. You only follow laws if you choose to.
    The only reason I mentioned things other than guns was because you asked what could be deadlier... If you do not want the question answered, why ask it?
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2016
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

Pressure cookers are illegal? Pretty sure going to a school and stabbing someone is illegal too. You only follow laws if you choose to.
    The only reason I mentioned things other than guns was because you asked what could be deadlier... If you do not want the question answered, why ask it?
    You're missing the point: Canada isn't saturated with guns. Further, we don't sell urban assault weapons to average joe citizens and owning a handgun is a serious endeavour that requires multiple applications: our psycho idiots can't go to the Denny's claw machine and pull a handgun for the price of a dollar... or to the Big 5 sporting goods to claim a machine gun off the rack (at a sweet 20% red light sale).

Edit: homemade bombs are illegal. Again... another deflection point to minimize the risk carried with guns. I understand why you use them though... how else can you argue against common sense?
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

You're missing the point: Canada isn't saturated with guns. Further, we don't sell urban assault weapons to average joe citizens and owning a handgun is a serious endeavour that requires multiple applications: our psycho idiots can't go to the Denny's claw machine and pull a handgun for the price of a dollar... or to the Big 5 sporting goods to claim a machine gun off the rack (at a sweet 20% red light sale).

Edit: homemade bombs are illegal. Again... another deflection point to minimize the risk carried with guns. I understand why you use them though... how else can you argue against common sense?
    Too bad. You will never get to be kewl like these dudes ordering a happy meal ...

• Where'd you get that picture of Scruffy and Godfather?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    edited November 2016
    Jason P said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

Too bad. You will never get to be kewl like these dudes ordering a happy meal ...

They're clearly at Chipotle
    Showing their love and affection for Mexicans and having a burrito bowl and a corona.
    :murica:
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
This discussion has been closed.