Dublin crew!!!

Comments

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Lol, yep it should be interesting alright :eek:

Buru :o the Irish are easy to understand :o

by the experience I have based on a couple of Irish movies (yeh yeh, not too reliable experience :p ) I'd say that you lot are fairly understandable. :):D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    eMMI wrote:
    why do you have a 'posh voice'? :confused::p

because if i didnt have one, then no-one outside of Scotland would understand what i was saying... i speak about 800 miles an hour as well, which makes it worse...

but i use the following slang words all the time

ken
    mibbe
    dinnae
    glaikit
    fitba
    hoose
    deed
    huvny
    aboot
    eedjit

i.e. "i huvny got a clue aboot that glaikit eedjit but mibbe he is at the fitba or in his hoose, mibbe he's even deed... och ah dinnae ken!!!"

:confused:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    eMMI wrote:
    by the experience I have based on a couple of Irish movies (yeh yeh, not too reliable experience :p ) I'd say that you lot are fairly understandable. :):D

Lol, well we're usually NOT in the Irish movies :D so you'll be doing well. As long as it wasn't 'far and away' or something like that... cos we speak NOTHING like that :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    because if i didnt have one, then no-one outside of Scotland would understand what i was saying... i speak about 800 miles an hour as well, which makes it worse...

but i use the following slang words all the time

ken
    mibbe
    dinnae
    glaikit
    fitba
    hoose
    deed
    huvny
    aboot
    eedjit

i.e. "i huvny got a clue aboot that glaikit eedjit but mibbe he is at the fitba or in his hoose, mibbe he's even deed... och ah dinnae ken!!!"

hmm. that brings in mind this one guy from Turku I was talking to at a bar. :D I'm telling you their dialect is like a whole another language. he also spoke really really fast. :eek: but he was sssooooo cute I didn't care. :D;):p

you've told me what at least a few of those words mean haven't you? :) maybe I should take notes. :o
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    Byrnzie wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken the War museum's just by London Bridge Station, so after you've made yourself cry you can go and scare yourself aswell by walking round the corner and popping into the 'London Dungeons'.:eek: By the time you get to the pub you'll be an emotional wreck and will look exactly like this smilie: :eek:

i went to the Dungeons in Edinburgh (same company who run both) and i was quite dissappointed... the idea was great but we were in with about 14 7yr old kids on a birthday party... and they were noisy as fuck... there wasnt a single ancient thing, it was all just actors telling stories of murder and plagues, etc!! frickin expensive as well!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838

i dae ken where he stays. mibbie hes fou and cannae git hame or mibbie hes wae the bairns fetching the messages .. och well i'll see him the morn :rolleyes:

That kind of thing ;):p
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    eMMI wrote:

did everyone on here understand Trainspotting ok? well if you did then take Spud's or Begbies accent and imagine that at twice the speed and with more slang words and we're nearly there!!

NAH... you have no hope!! Trainspotting was released with subtitles in the States :eek:
    Chime wrote:
    i dae ken where he stays. mibbie hes fou and cannae git hame or mibbie hes wae the bairns fetching the messages .. och well i'll see him the morn :rolleyes:

:D:D

This forum requires that you wait 50 seconds between posts. Please try again in 9 seconds.
    Lol, well we're usually NOT in the Irish movies :D so you'll be doing well. As long as it wasn't 'far and away' or something like that... cos we speak NOTHING like that :D

I don't know the names of the movies.

the other was about this small village.. and the men of the village put an add of some sort to some Florida's/California's newspaper in hopes of getting hot women to move to Ireland. :rolleyes:
    I don't remember what happens in the end cause I fell asleep. :o:D

and the other is about this girl who moves to England with her boyfriend, then they break up. she's pregnant to the guy but she meets some English ladd and somehow he thinks that the baby is his. when he finds out the girl moves back to Ireland to her parents, she bumps into her ex and they fall in love again. then the English guy comes to look for the girl, finds her with the Irish guy and rushes to the airport (after a fist fight) and she decides that she wants him and not the ex.
    or something like that. :D
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    i went to the Dungeons in Edinburgh (same company who run both) and i was quite dissappointed... the idea was great but we were in with about 14 7yr old kids on a birthday party... and they were noisy as fuck... there wasnt a single ancient thing, it was all just actors telling stories of murder and plagues, etc!! frickin expensive as well!!

I went as a kid and found it really funny. What was weird is how I remembered the smell of the place for years after. Even now I can bring it to mind. It's got a really distinctive smell about it. (But this is probably boring to ya'll and you'll think I'm strange so I'll shut up noo!) - I said 'noo' - I'm turning Scottish! :eek:
    did everyone on here understand Trainspotting ok? well if you did then take Spud's or Begbies accent and imagine that at twice the speed and with more slang words and we're nearly there!!

NAH... you have no hope!! Trainspotting was released with subtitles in the States :eek:

I gotta admit. I haven't seen Trainspotting. :o :eek:
    eMMI wrote:
    I don't know the names of the movies.

the other was about this small village.. and the men of the village put an add of some sort to some Florida's/California's newspaper in hopes of getting hot women to move to Ireland. :rolleyes:
    I don't remember what happens in the end cause I fell asleep. :o:D

and the other is about this girl who moves to England with her boyfriend, then they break up. she's pregnant to the guy but she meets some English ladd and somehow he thinks that the baby is his. when he finds out the girl moves back to Ireland to her parents, she bumps into her ex and they fall in love again. then the English guy comes to look for the girl, finds her with the Irish guy and rushes to the airport (after a fist fight) and she decides that she wants him and not the ex.
    or something like that. :D

Well I dunno the first one but I think it might be 'the matchmaker' or something. The second one is actually Anna Friel in the lead I think - who's English :o but she did a pretty decent Irish accent I think... crap film though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Well I dunno the first one but I think it might be 'the matchmaker' or something. The second one is actually Anna Friel in the lead I think - who's English :o but she did a pretty decent Irish accent I think... crap film though.

aye. well, I was bored. :D I actually enjoyed the second film. but I think that's cause the 'English guy' was really handsome. :)

I'm not an expert on accents but it all sounded good. :D

Isn't there one with a really catchy title - 'The field'? It sounds riveting. I think John Hurts in it. It sounds about as interesting as watching a program about the chemical make-up of a newt on bbc learning zone at 4am on a Wednesday.
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Isn't there one with a really catchy title - 'The field'? It sounds riveting. I think John Hurts in it. It sounds about as interesting as watching a program about the chemical make-up of a newt on bbc learning zone at 4am on a Wednesday.

The Field is a lot more interesting than it sounds....not to me,I can hardly remember it but it's something of an Irish classic.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
    Carlos D wrote:
    The Field is a lot more interesting than it sounds....not to me,I can hardly remember it but it's something of an Irish classic.

Hello Carlos. Don't normally meet you over here on this thread. You're normally over on the moving train locking horns with someone. You going to the Point then??
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Richard Harris was in that - haven't seen it in years.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Hello Carlos. Don't normally meet you over here on this thread. You're normally over on the moving train locking horns with someone. You going to the Point then??

Haha.That's only when there's scary IRA supporters about.........Yep my sister managed to score me a ticket two weeks ago!I can't wait,should be great.Amongst all the thousands of posts on this thread there seems to only be about 5 people though,what's the deal with that?

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
    Have a great weekend everyone :)

Chat to yas Monday :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Have a great weekend everyone :)

Chat to yas Monday :)

bye bye Helly. :D

talk to you when I can. :D lol.
    Carlos D wrote:
    Amongst all the thousands of posts on this thread there seems to only be about 5 people though,what's the deal with that?

nobody knows. :confused::D lol.

well, I'm off now too darlings. I shall talk to you when it's next time possible as at least some of ya aren't here on weekends. :D

when I'm away, have fun and be good! (that goes for especially Al. ;):p )

lol. I've got nothing more to say at the mo. talk to you later!! :D:D:D
    Carlos D wrote:
    Haha.That's only when there's scary IRA supporters about.........Yep my sister managed to score me a ticket two weeks ago!I can't wait,should be great.Amongst all the thousands of posts on this thread there seems to only be about 5 people though,what's the deal with that?

Well, there's probably about 10 regulars but we usually spend all day on here talking bollocks which is why there's so many posts.
    eMMI wrote:
    nobody knows. :confused::D lol.

well, I'm off now too darlings. I shall talk to you when it's next time possible as at least some of ya aren't here on weekends. :D

when I'm away, have fun and be good! (that goes for especially Al. ;):p )

lol. I've got nothing more to say at the mo. talk to you later!! :D:D:D

Have a great time in Scotland Emmi! Tell us about it when ya get back! :D
  • newagehippienewagehippie Posts: 749

:eek:

*GULP*

I'ont know iffI'll be able to understands y'all.
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Well, there's probably about 10 regulars but we usually spend all day on here talking bollocks which is why there's so many posts.

So does one have to apply to be a regular or something?

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Good evening anyone who is here tonight or at the week-end!

Lots of posts to go through since yesterday afternoon. A quick scan revealed talks of dungeons, museums, posh scotsmen (at least posh accents), poor finnish girl wondering if she was going to understand anything in scotland, drinks, etc.....

Too much to properly read through but I suppose it's all the usual rubbish :D:D

Keith - hope you had a nice birthday drink!

Busy week-end ahead (all very family and proper!) with 'The Taming of the Shrew' tomorrow at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre and a BBQ at friends on Sunday. Meeting up with a friend on a visit from Australia (moved there a few years ago) - that should be nice!

Dunky - did I understand correctly? You're spending the week-end in London? If so, have a great time!

Hey Carlos D!!! To be a regular, just come on this thread and speak rubbish. Can be serious too !:D
    Talk to you guys on Monday!
    Carlos D wrote:
    So does one have to apply to be a regular or something?

its more to do with number of posts... i.e. you dont apply to be a regular in a pub... you just frequent the place often enough to become a regular!!! ;)

so get posting!!!!!!!!!! :)
    redrock wrote:
    Dunky - did I understand correctly? You're spending the week-end in London? If so, have a great time!

well the 1st weekend in August, during which London has no gigs happening at all!!! :(
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    its more to do with number of posts... i.e. you dont apply to be a regular in a pub... you just frequent the place often enough to become a regular!!! ;)

so get posting!!!!!!!!!! :)

ok I see
    so I'm just an occasional drinker then
    ;)
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
    Buru wrote:
    ok I see
    so I'm just an occasional drinker then
    ;)

sort of... i suppose that makes Helen a complete alcoholic.... :)