Options

Lottery Wins and Losses

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    MayDay10 said:

I have said it ad nauseum, but the current structure of having GA/RES separate from each show invites a lot of clowing around the rules. Why not sign up family and close friends for extra 10c accounts in the 500XXX (as GA doesnt count). I could have 10 chances for GA (more if I have a 10c pal) to your 1.

My somewhat decent 10c # I have cultivated over years can be for reserved only. Why burn it on GA chances when we have so many "new" members in the pool.

You're not "burning" anything...it's your choice.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    BinFrog said:

They do more than any other band I know. Phish (whom I love) has a pre-sale for anyone who wants to enter. I entered for 3 shows on this tour...and got tickets for all 3. LAWN tickets for all 3. Some pre-sale, eh? Can you imagine if PJ did this?

People heads on here would explode. So many people will only accept GA tickets, cant imagine buying them through Ticketmaster.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    BinFrog said:

MayDay10 said:

I have said it ad nauseum, but the current structure of having GA/RES separate from each show invites a lot of clowing around the rules. Why not sign up family and close friends for extra 10c accounts in the 500XXX (as GA doesnt count). I could have 10 chances for GA (more if I have a 10c pal) to your 1.

My somewhat decent 10c # I have cultivated over years can be for reserved only. Why burn it on GA chances when we have so many "new" members in the pool.

You're not "burning" anything...it's your choice.
    well, no. I would just use the other memberships that have shitty numbers. why would I go for reserved with a membership I just started last week?

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

well, no. I would just use the other memberships that have shitty numbers. why would I go for reserved with a membership I just started last week?

Because in general the reserved seats have higher odds of winning than GA. And they are still always the best seats in the house.
  • Options
    People getting shut out are going for the hardest shows to get. I know, captain obvious. Choose easier shows. The odds were right in front of you.
  • Options
    I know that. Im 1 for 14 in the lottery and only because I layed up and went for Buffalo Reserved for my 1st choice of leg 1 last year.

Back of the floor is a bad night for me that is burned with the image of staring at people's backs. I would honestly rather not go.

I would be curious to see the distribution on entries into GA and how many memberships entered have been "started" since the lottery system was rolled out.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Back of the floor is a bad night for me that is burned with the image of staring at people's backs. I would honestly rather not go.

While I understand that, you can't really blame the band or the system for that. I have a pretty good number, and would rather have seats on the wing then a few rows back on the floor behind GA...but I'll take what I can get. I am average height, so my view will be ok no matter where...but my wife is a few inches shorter and will have a hard time seeing if we are on the floor and not in the first few rows.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    BinFrog said:

Everyone's opinion is completely valid, and there is a counter-argument for each side.

Back in the 3x5 days, you were all but assured tickets (first to just 1 show, and then for any show you wanted). And if they had more demand than tickets, they did their best to give you spillover tickets to another show. Yeah it was a hassle to get money orders/etc, but you made it work.

Then the f5 world came. People bitched and moaned, but if you knew how to work the system it usually worked out in your favor. Over the years I only lost out on 1 pre-sale, and it was because I had a friend do it for me (I was on vaca and not near a computer) and he did not have the patience to sit there and refresh for 45 mins through all of the crashes. yes, I know why the f5 world pissed some people off, but for a lot of people it worked fine with a little bit of patience and perseverance. There were always those who could not be near a computer, or didn't have a credit card, or just had bad luck...but no system is perfect. In many markets there simply aren't enough tickets to go around...regardless of what pre-sale system is used.

Now it's the tiered priority lottery world. It's almost a combination of f5 meets 3x5 days. It sucks that figuring out your priority is kind of a shot in the dark...but that's where the news odds feature comes into play (and seemed to work for some). It's not perfect, but it makes people really think about their top priority show(s). That's kind of a plus.

For years we had it good: persevere through the f5 system and you were rewarded. It was great to see so many familiar faces at shows over the span of like a decade. We got spoiled. Really spoiled. Almost NO other band's fans had it that good. But things changed. I don't know if it was just because of more members, or people complaining about the antiquated system, or if the band just wanted to try something new (along the lines of the 1/2 and 9/10 random rows and then GA...), but here we are. It's no longer easy to just get a run of shows through the 10C and then do a tour. you have to work a little harder now. I mean, god forbid you lose out on 10C tickets and have to use Ticketmaster. On leg 1 last year I got 10C for 1 show and had to use TM for the other 4 I wanted. I got nice upgrades for 2 shows, and had mediocre seats for the other 2. I still rocked the hell out at every show. Yeah, so for 2 shows i wasn't surrounded by 10C members...so what? I still gave it my all and did my thing. What can you do?

I have been a member since '97 and Memphis will be show #43 for me, going back to '96. I've been around. All of the old members complaining about the new system: just realize you had it good for a LONG time. This is a very popular band and they are doing what they can to make the fans happy. They do more than any other band I know. Phish (whom I love) has a pre-sale for anyone who wants to enter. I entered for 3 shows on this tour...and got tickets for all 3. LAWN tickets for all 3. Some pre-sale, eh? Can you imagine if PJ did this?

It will never be what it was. There is NO system that will make us all happy. I was super bummed last year to see "LOST" next to 4 shows. But I made it work. I went to 5 shows and had a BLAST. Yeah it sucks to miss out on 10C tickets, but going to the shows is the most important thing. There is ALWAYS a way to get tickets...and 10C members are always generous and helpful. Just be glad the band is still touring and playing at a VERY high level. We still have it good with this band.

I would say that the F5 system was far worse than the lottery. I know a lot of people had success, but it was a royal pain in the but and certainly catered to people who could spend large chunks of time during a weekday to get tickets.

Had I not been "lucky" enough to be unemployed during the pre-sale for PJ20, there's no way I would have gotten tickets unless I had taken a vacation day. The lottery is vastly better than that.

Since the lottery's been in place, I've had a decent success rate, but then again the most important thing to me was seeing them (as opposed to GA) and I've always put in for lower demand shows in Reserved. This time, I got my first choice, but was shut out of 2 other shows. Had I wanted badly enough to see them more times on this leg, I would have put in Reserved picks for Lincoln, Tulsa and Memphis as well. Likely, I would have gotten 2 or 3 of those.

And if I'd lost out, I would have just obtained tickets by other means.

My main point is the F5 system was horrible even if I was able to get tickets for every show I tried.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Nobody's clowning around the rules. They are following the rules and trying to give themselves the best options within them.

Sure you could sign up 10 friends, but do you really want to be out the money for all those memberships every year? If you have that much cash to blow, just buy good tickets from StubHub.

• Options
    know1 said:

My main point is the F5 system was horrible even if I was able to get tickets for every show I tried.

It was annoying, but for a lot of fans it worked and was worth the hassle. I used to just set aside time on my calendar so that no-one scheduled a meeting for like an hour. And yeah, it would give me freaking palpitations sometimes...but I managed to almost always get tickets. It may have been horrible...but I never had a problem with the end result.
  • Options
    Yeah, I would be the same way. Block off time. Even took a vacation day for PJ20. Had very good results, but it took patience and there were some tricks/lessons (that were easy and readily offered here). Anyone else I left in charge or to get f5 tickets elsewhere never succeeded. Extra memberships did no good.

I dont mind the lottery. But I think it does need to be restructured a bit. Either make it 1 lottery per show and draw GA within winners later, maybe make GA 1 ticket, maybe make members have to be >1 year in continuous tenure to go for GA??? I dont know. I am 1 for 14 now without even trying for East Coast shows and only won by going for a "sure thing" with a 1st choice once. That is very frustrating.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I am 1 for 14 now without even trying for East Coast shows and only won by going for a "sure thing" with a 1st choice once. That is very frustrating.

I hear you and understand your frustration.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited May 2014

People getting shut out are going for the hardest shows to get. I know, captain obvious. Choose easier shows. The odds were right in front of you.

So if there is a show coming to your hometown, you would still not try for this one as your first priority? I have travelled a lot for PJ. From Germany to the US, to Canada, and also throughout the US. Because I wanted to see them. Heck, I even moved countries because I fell in love with a fellow fan. Now there is finally a chance to only drive 30 minutes to a show. Of course I go for this one.

I have no solution for this whole thing. I am thinking making the floor all GA and open to fanclub members would be cool. But what do I know.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    edited May 2014
    Play more shows, problem solved. Start touring again like you did in 06 and 03. Oh yeah, and get rid of ga. Maybe have one show seniority based and another show totally random. Four show limit per leg
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

So if there is a show coming to your hometown, you would still not try for this one as your first priority? I have travelled a lot for PJ. From Germany to the US, to Canada, and also throughout the US. Because I wanted to see them. Heck, I even moved countries because I fell in love with a fellow fan. Now there is finally a chance to only drive 30 minutes to a show. Of course I go for this one.

I have no solution for this whole thing. I am thinking making the floor all GA and open to fanclub members would be cool. But what do I know.

The hometown argument holds no water, though, when they never come to people's hometowns. This will be the first time I've not had to travel 3.5 hours or more to see them in over 8 years.

• Options

If they came to Houston, I would not put Houston GA or reserved as my top choices. Reserved for maybe 2nd choice.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I won Milwaukee Reserved (first choice) and St. Paul reserved (second choice) and lost on the rest. I am happy.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    I won Cincy GA tix....lost on STL and Moline. I'll hit up ticketmaster and do my best there....there's always Stubhub if you can't score something good through TM

I do prefer this system to the F5 days...then you would get totally shut out after spending four hours putting tickets in your cart and then losing them
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941

Put me on the 'poor little baby didn't get his tickets and is going to cry about it' list. !

Are you the same guy (Sean) crying about it over on the Ten Club facebook page? Dude, there's still the general public sale. All is not lost.
    You were TEN (not quite) when I joined and it just seems that loyalty is no longer being reciprocated. I know I can get on Ticketmaster with a million other people and try and get tickets for a show, but I shouldn't have to. And I probably won't. I used to sit within five rows and now I am supposed to be okay with sitting in nose bleeds with people who don't even know any songs other than five or six from Ten. No, I'm not the guy from Facebook. I am from Buffalo.
    You have no idea that the loyalty you've had towards this band since you discovered them is ANY different than the loyalty this other guy has had for the band since he discovered them. So you'd like to criticize him for being too young? Give me a break - that's ageism at its finest. Am I biased in this? Absolutely - I'm 24, and I was born in '90 back when Pearl Jam is Mookie Blaylock. But I'm no less a fan than anyone else here, that much I can assure you.

Your loyalty is reciprocated by seniority for the best reserved sections in the house, since clearly the band has been realizing that penalizing people for being born at certain times is insensitive and absurd.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,591
    1st choice Moline, IL - GA Standing LOST
    2nd choice St. Paul, MN - Reserved Seating WON
    3rd choice Lincoln, NE - GA Standing LOST
    4th choice Moline, IL - Reserved Seating LOST
    5th choice Denver, CO - Reserved Seating LOST
    6th choice St. Paul, MN - GA Standing N/A
    7th choice Denver, CO - GA Standing LOST
    8th choice Lincoln, NE - Reserved Seating WON

I knew Denver was a lost cause that far down my list but I'm really bummed that I still haven't won any of my first choices in the history of the lottery. I will be trying for Moline tickets tomorrow morning! :D
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • Options
    vladsplatvladsplat Posts: 116
    1st St. Paul Reserved- Won
    2nd St. Paul GA - lost
    3rd Moline GA - lost
    4th Moline R - lost
    5th Milwaukee GA - lost
    6th Milwaukee Reserved - lost

won my hometown, so I'm cool with that. Thannks for coming back around PJ!!! :)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    jeff2040 said:

I knew Denver was a lost cause that far down my list but I'm really bummed that I still haven't won any of my first choices in the history of the lottery. I will be trying for Moline tickets tomorrow morning! :D

I purposefully left off the popular shows like Moline, Detroit, and Denver to increase my odds but that didn't work. You can't win them all (or one) I guess.
  • Options
    stonevsstonevs Posts: 64
    I just found out my entry to the lottery never even went through :(( :((
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    BinFrog said:

Back in the 3x5 days, you were all but assured tickets (first to just 1 show, and then for any show you wanted). And if they had more demand than tickets, they did their best to give you spillover tickets to another show. Yeah it was a hassle to get money orders/etc, but you made it work.

It was easier to get tickets but you weren't assured. The Yield, Binaural (and Riot Act?) Tours you had to choose your backup shows. I remember there being a few shows sold out in key markets, so you had to list a 2nd or 3rd pref in case it sold out.

I think the big thing is the failure to get tickets is probably more attributed to external factors than the distribution system itself. Those tours in 98, 00, 03 (and to an extent 06) were some of the biggest tours the band ever played. They played a lot of shows. Secondly the 10c gets way less tickets to shows now than they used. I have memories (seattle 2000) of venues being over half full with 10c members and that doesn't happen now. On top of all that there's way more fan club members now.

In conclusion. The band doesn't play enough shows. Most people have to travel to see them. This ramps up demand for the shows they do play. There are way more fan club members with way less tickets to distribute. That doesn't end well no matter how you distribute the tickets.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    F5 sucked. There is absolutely no way I should have to refresh a page for hours, during a workday, dependant on my internet speed. I knew some tricks to make it work better, and I was successful a lot of the time, but it sucks for anyone who couldn't anticipate what the ticket page url was going to look like, and that is unfair. Knowing computers shouldn't be an advantage to getting tickets.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    maybe not F5, but this current lottery format can be improved, no?
  • Options
    jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,591

jeff2040 said:

I purposefully left off the popular shows like Moline, Detroit, and Denver to increase my odds but that didn't work. You can't win them all (or one) I guess.
    I understand that, I knew I probably only had one shot at Moline so I put it as my #1 choice. Based on the odds I knew I would get Lincoln Res at worst so that's why I had it so far down the list. Hopefully I can get tickets on Friday to Moline and then I'll be all set. I might try to get Denver tickets closer to the show if I decide to go out there.
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    mcgruff10 said:

Play more shows, problem solved.

This. Also if you are planning on doing multiple LEGS (eastcoast, westcoast, etc) put them all in the same lottery instead of two separate lotteries like the tour last fall. Most likely would end up with more fair ticket distribution and more fans having the chance to get hometown shows. Obviously major markets like Boston, NYC, etc will always be a tough ticket to get though.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    AP30511AP30511 Lincoln, NE Posts: 112
    I agree with some on here, the F5 system sucked. I spent 12+ hrs trying to get PJ20 ticks (also gave up my ticks to the Foo Fighters that night) and came away with nothing. Yes this lottery is a little flawed, but at least everyone is on a level playing field. I've won some and lost some (Wrigley, ouch!) but at least I have not had to take time away from my wife, kids and/or job in an attempt to get tickets to a rock show.

Now, index cards? Those were the days! But as others on here have pointed out, yes we were extremely spoiled in those days. But man that was awesome with no worries of getting shut out and it was relatively hassle free.

Hope everyone enjoys the shows and good luck with tomorrow's sales!
    1998: Rapid City - 2000: Bonner Springs - 2003: Denver, Council Bluffs - 2004: St. Louis - 2005: Calgary, Edmonton - 2006: St. Paul I & II - 2009: Chicago I & II - 2010: Kansas City - 2011: St. Louis (EV) - 2012: Missoula - 2013: Chicago, Oklahoma City - 2014: Lincoln, Denver - 2016: New Orleans - 2018: Seattle I & II - 2022: Chicago II (EV), Denver - 2023: Austin I & II
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,509
    MayDay10 said:

maybe not F5, but this current lottery format can be improved, no?

I got one show this time around, and lost out on 5, and even I am ok with the way this works.

Look, Pearl Jam is getting bigger, the fan club is getting bigger. Tours are getting smaller. Shows are getting more intimate. (Moline? Seriously???)

People are going to lose out. I lost out on a few shows. I lost out on the Vic, because I had to go back to work. I went to a freaking library to try to get tickets because site blockers at work. That is no way to run a system. And I got almost all of my shows I wanted back then.

The reason? There were more shows back then. They used to do more shows, so you didn't have 10 bil people trying to go to Moline.

I have no problem with the way PJ does their tours. They are small, short tours. I'm ok with that. But increasing the amount of shows is the only way to help alleviate the problem. I'm guessing that if you had a Chicago show, a Toronto show, 2-3 NY shows and 2 Philly shows on this tour, tickets to ALL other shows would be much easier to get.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission