Options

Lottery Wins and Losses

Comments

• Options
    Mamasan80Mamasan80 Posts: 298
    I will say that what I don't get is people thanking the 10C for "fixing" a system that wasn't broken. Seriously?
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Bruins24 said:

I got shut out of my hometown Denver show today and am a long time member (21 years). I am VERY disappointed, but I completely understand that some of us have to miss out when there is more demand than supply. I still believe that the 10 Club has done an excellent job of designing the process (lottery) to give us the best chance of getting (great) tickets to our hometown show. By having the priority choices for tickets it ensures that you have priority over everyone else who is trying to attend it as their second choice on the tour as we've seen today, anything below 1st choice doesn't get you a ticket unless it is for a small market where there are extra tickets available.

The band secures the best seats in the house for us and has tried to design a ticketing process that is best for the fans. For those of us disappointed in not getting tickets today, let's remember that PJ has done everything in their power to look out for us and provide the best ticketing process for their fans.

There's a reason this band has been the soundtrack of our lives and there's a reason why we're so loyal to them.

Thank you Pearl Jam.

Nice to see this kind of response on here today. And getting 10club tickets is not the only way to see a show. People are making way too big a deal out of losing.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612

MayDay10 said:

the fact is, people who buddy up and/or create 'spouce accounts' really juice the pot for themselves

I got married to a fellow tenclubber, so we both had our own accounts before. We both entered this time, and would have given our spare tickets to friends if we had both won. Wouldn't you do the same if your partner had an account?

We both lost this time.

no. she had an account. i thought about activating it for this but didnt.

so this lottery gives you and your husband 100% greater a chance than i. unless i decide to get more ping pong balls to throw in.

youre doing nothing wrong,especially because i know you two are legit, but te system isnt quite equitable imo. it seems easy to manipulate extra chances
  • Options
    sissonp33sissonp33 Posts: 80
    Feeling lucky/grateful/happy...got my email at 5:00 MST.

#1 - Denver reserved: Won
    #2 - St. Paul reserved: Won
    #3 - Lincoln reserved: Won
    #4 - St. Louis reserved: Lost

My two cents: This system is far more fair than the old system. The lottery puts everyone on equal footing. Before the only people even eligible had to be available and have computer access at 10:00 on a Thursday, and even then it was a cluster. People shouldn't be disqualified for the type of job they work or not being able to drop everything at an exact time. I remember sitting at the back of a lecture hall with a laptop on crappy campus wifi with no idea if I had a shot or not. Now we have a week to get our picks in and everyone has the same chance. I still didn't really know what my chances were exactly, but at least I knew it was based on the same odds that everyone else had and not if my internet connection was good enough. The only thing that would make it more "fair" would be to limit each member to one show per tour.

As far as seniority goes, that should have zero effect on your ability to get tickets. I have a pretty good number but it shouldn't give me any more right to tickets than somebody who signed up last week. Your seniority pays off with the quality of your seats, everybody should have the same chance of getting in the door.
  • Options
    mabshiermabshier Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    I entered and won my only choice, St Louis reserved. I never got a confirmation email, although it shows up in "my tickets". Meanwhile I got a call from my bank about a potentially fraudulent transaction, which was the ticket charge....so yeah...I don't know what is going on now. Anyone have something like this happen to you?
    Post edited by mabshier on
  • Options
    sissonp33sissonp33 Posts: 80
    edited May 2014

"One thing I WOULD be interested in finding out more about is how the 10C ticket allocation has apparently gone down so much. As far as I know there are less members trying for tickets than there were in 2003, and only one of those shows oversold (in response to which the band added ANOTHER area show to which those who had been shut out got first dibs on tickets). So to me, they've clearly lost a lot of tickets at each show, and I'd be interested in hearing why."

Weren't a couple of the shows on the fall 2013 tour almost completely 10C tickets? Or am I misremembering something I read here?
  • Options
    PJFaninIndyPJFaninIndy Westfield, IN Posts: 93
    Entered 6 lotteries, won 1 (Cincy reserved - choice #1). TC member 9 years. I got Wrigley tix though so I can't complain too much...
    6/22/03 – Noblesville, IN
    10/3/04 – Grand Rapids, MI
    9/11/05 – Kitchener, ON Canada
    9/12/05 – London, ON Canada
    5/22/06 – Auburn Hills, MI
    6/24/06 – Cincinnati, OH
    8/23/09 – Chicago, IL
    5/7/10 – Noblesville, IN
    7/19/13 – Wrigley Field
    10/1/14 – Cincinnati, OH
    10/20/14 – Milwaukee, WI
    4/26/16 – Lexington, KY
    8/20/16 – Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 – Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 - Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 - Wrigley Field
    9/6/22 - Hamilton, ON Canada
    9/17/22 - Bourbon & Beyond, Louisville, KY
    9/18/22 - St. Louis. MO
    9/5/23 - Chicago, IL
    9/7/23 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    denisealdrichdenisealdrich St Paul, MN Posts: 17
    I was delighted to get a notice at 6pm Central time tonight that I won a pair of GA tickets for St Paul. I was sure I'd gotten nothing. I've only been in the 10C for a year and am grateful! but sorry for those of you who didn't get anything. That said, I think the odds of getting a ticket through this lottery are a LOT better than going through TicketMaster: For the Fall tour, I was on 15 seconds after tickets went on sale and got nothing. Eff TicketMaster!
  • Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    I've been very very fortunate in the lottery the last year. I won both Cincinnati and Memphis.
  • Options
    groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    So happy! Won GA for Tulsa (1st choice) and GA for Lincoln (2nd choice)
  • Options
    ohheyrlyedyohheyrlyedy Posts: 12
    Ive been on for one year almost. I was sad that I didnt get St Paul tickets(born and still live in mpls) but i did get GA moline. this was my first lottery. i dont participate much on the boards. im new to this whole forum thing. but there was so much sass and anger that i didnt even want to post that i got one. i already got called a newbie once today for asking a question.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

the fact is, people who buddy up and/or create 'spouce accounts' really juice the pot for themselves

I got married to a fellow tenclubber, so we both had our own accounts before. We both entered this time, and would have given our spare tickets to friends if we had both won. Wouldn't you do the same if your partner had an account?

We both lost this time.

no. she had an account. i thought about activating it for this but didnt.

so this lottery gives you and your husband 100% greater a chance than i. unless i decide to get more ping pong balls to throw in.

youre doing nothing wrong,especially because i know you two are legit, but te system isnt quite equitable imo. it seems easy to manipulate extra chances
    I see where you're coming from. It is not different though than the whole ticket buddy thing. And everybody here who is legit will try to improve their chances. They should allocate more tickets to the fans. Make the whole floor GA, like in Europe. Maybe add something that makes sure that everybody who enters at least gets one pair of tickets. We have seen our fair share of shows and were trying not to be greedy. The selections we made were shows that we could easily go to as opposed to shows that require a lot of travelling. Which would have been nice for a change. And a hometown show! In Germany, I never even had the slightest chance for that. Not getting even just one of the eight different options that we laid out for us is a little disappointing. But it is what it is. I would have loved to score one pair of tickets, and be done with it. Instead, I wasted a good day of work waiting for a decision and now need to go through the ticketmaster debacle. I'm just a little grrrr today ;)

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990
    BLACK35 said:

1st - Detroit reserved - WON
    2nd - Cincy reserved - LOST
    3rd - St. Louis reserved - WON

Nice congrats man!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    edited May 2014

Ive been on for one year almost. I was sad that I didnt get St Paul tickets(born and still live in mpls) but i did get GA moline. this was my first lottery. i dont participate much on the boards. im new to this whole forum thing. but there was so much sass and anger that i didnt even want to post that i got one. i already got called a newbie once today for asking a question.

Get a thicker skin. Be happy you got GA Moline and don't be afraid to say you did. Look at it this way, the band is on your side, otherwise seniority would still matter.

If someone called you a newbie in a condescending manner than they are just a jerk.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    driowadriowa Wisconsin Posts: 115
    sissonp33 said:

That right there is the problem with the lottery in its current form. You got tickets to 3 shows and a ton of us got none!

The lottery is fine, just frustrating when you hear/see people get multiple shows and you get shutout.
  • Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    I won Moline GA. Fiance won Milwaukee GA

Both 1st choice, lost all others (I can handle that!)
  • Options
    lkn72lkn72 Posts: 26
    #1 - Denver reserved: Lost
    #2 - Denver GA: Lost
    #3 - Tulsa reserved: Won
    #4 - Lincoln reserved: Won
  • Options
    Isoworld13Isoworld13 Posts: 221
    #1 Denver Reserved - WON
    #2 Moline Reserved - LOST
    #3 Memphis Reserved - WON

Wife hit the HOMERUN with Moline GA - WON with the ONLY show she entered for.

I've been in the 10c for 17 years, my wife for 6 months. After missing out on EVERY Wrigley lottery, and not hitting the lottery for Worcester 1 in my backyard, we decided to get my wife a membership. She could try strictly for GA's because her # sucks, and I could go for a safer reserved choice with a great member #. That strategy just worked out BIG TIME.

I will say that the "odds" feature helped me out BIG time. It would be better to see the odds based on priority, but at least it gives you a general "idea" of where you NEED to place a show in your Priority order and also whether or not you should try and risk GA. Going GA with your #1 pick is a huge risk. If you don't hit (in a pool of tix that is much smaller), you are now left in a lottery of what MIGHT be left in reserved's AFTER all the #1 priority reserved's got theirs. I learned THAT mistake in the Wrigley fiasco.
    1994 Boston
    1998 Mansfield
    2000 Atlanta & Mansfield
    2003 Mansfield (X2)
    2004 Boston
    2006 Chicago & Boston (x2)
    2008 Mansfield (x2)
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Buffalo & Boston
    2011 Toronto
    2012 Amsterdam
    2013 Wrigley, Worcerster (x2), Philly, & Hartford
    2014 Memphis, Moline, Denver
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Hampton, Philly, Fenway (x2), Wrigley Monday
    2018 Wrigley (x2), Fenway (x2)
    2022 MSG. Nashville
  • Options
    Isoworld13Isoworld13 Posts: 221
    driowa said:

sissonp33 said:

That right there is the problem with the lottery in its current form. You got tickets to 3 shows and a ton of us got none!

The lottery is fine, just frustrating when you hear/see people get multiple shows and you get shutout.
    EVERYONE could have gotten MULTIPLE shows if they wanted to go to Lincoln, Tulsa, and Memphis and chosen them in the top 3 for reserved seating. I wanted Denver more than anything, so I made my Priority #1 Denver Reserved. Sure I wanted GA, but it just wasn't worth the risk NOT to get in, so I went for the safer pool with more seats available. I also wanted Moline because it was such a small venue and a Friday night. Because of the "odds" feature, I knew that there was slim to no chance I'd win both, and also a chance that I could get nothing, so I picked the show I wanted most. Won Denver. Lost Moline. The ONLY reason I even ENTERED for Memphis was that up until 2 hours before the lottery closed the "odds' were 99% and I figured if I missed out on BOTH Denver AND Moline, at least I could go SOMEWHERE (and Tulsa & Linclon, who were also 99%'rs were COMPLETELY out of the question. At least Memphis has Beale Street and is supposed to be a pretty fun city). Point is....ANYONE could have entered the lotto for Tulsa, Lincoln, and Memphis and hit all 3, so multiple shows is possible for EVERYONE (as long as you are willing to travel to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the week). For the popular shows, it's a gamble. Do you go OPENER, do you go CLOSER, do you go HOMETOWN? What is your #1 PRIORITY? And if it's a MUST SHOW, you have to sacrifice the GA and go safe with reserved.
    1994 Boston
    1998 Mansfield
    2000 Atlanta & Mansfield
    2003 Mansfield (X2)
    2004 Boston
    2006 Chicago & Boston (x2)
    2008 Mansfield (x2)
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Buffalo & Boston
    2011 Toronto
    2012 Amsterdam
    2013 Wrigley, Worcerster (x2), Philly, & Hartford
    2014 Memphis, Moline, Denver
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Hampton, Philly, Fenway (x2), Wrigley Monday
    2018 Wrigley (x2), Fenway (x2)
    2022 MSG. Nashville
  • Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2014

driowa said:

sissonp33 said:

EVERYONE could have gotten MULTIPLE shows if they wanted to go to Lincoln, Tulsa, and Memphis and chosen them in the top 3 for reserved seating. I wanted Denver more than anything, so I made my Priority #1 Denver Reserved. Sure I wanted GA, but it just wasn't worth the risk NOT to get in, so I went for the safer pool with more seats available. I also wanted Moline because it was such a small venue and a Friday night. Because of the "odds" feature, I knew that there was slim to no chance I'd win both, and also a chance that I could get nothing, so I picked the show I wanted most. Won Denver. Lost Moline. The ONLY reason I even ENTERED for Memphis was that up until 2 hours before the lottery closed the "odds' were 99% and I figured if I missed out on BOTH Denver AND Moline, at least I could go SOMEWHERE (and Tulsa & Linclon, who were also 99%'rs were COMPLETELY out of the question. At least Memphis has Beale Street and is supposed to be a pretty fun city). Point is....ANYONE could have entered the lotto for Tulsa, Lincoln, and Memphis and hit all 3, so multiple shows is possible for EVERYONE (as long as you are willing to travel to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the week). For the popular shows, it's a gamble. Do you go OPENER, do you go CLOSER, do you go HOMETOWN? What is your #1 PRIORITY? And if it's a MUST SHOW, you have to sacrifice the GA and go safe with reserved.
    Basically it's all about strategy, and alot of people don't get that, on my account I chose moline as my number 1 ga I knew it was slim but I also knew if I was going to get it it would have to be my number 1 choice

Then I put Lincoln ga as my number 2 because of the odds I figured should be able to get that as second or even third choice

And that's how I won 2 ga
  • Options
    dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    I fully sympathize with people who didn't get any tickets -- you have a right to feel frustrated and angry, and I think this is the proper forum to vent.

But no one got shut out of 3+ lotteries if they only bid on high-demand shows -- most cities were so in demand that the drawing never rolled over to third or fourth priority. It sucks if you missed out on your first or second choices, but after that you didn't "lose" the lottery, because the tickets were already assigned to people who put those shows as top priority. The benefit of the odds feature was that we all knew we were almost guaranteed reserved seats for three of the ten shows -- how cool is that?

I still feel bad for people who didn't get drawn for their hometown shows, but let's remember how lucky we are that our favorite band puts in the effort to give us all a chance to get tickets. I certainly couldn't afford the seats I get through the 10C at fair market value.
  • Options
    Given to AvocadoGiven to Avocado Northwest Indiana Posts: 11
    1st choice: Cincinnati GA
    2nd choice: Cincinnati Res
    3rd choice: St Louis GA
    4th choice St Louis Res
    Didn't win any of them.
    Well that sucks.
    Okay, im done bitching.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    dougfloyd said:

Bruins24 said:

I got shut out of my hometown Denver show today and am a long time member (21 years). I am VERY disappointed, but I completely understand that some of us have to miss out when there is more demand than supply. I still believe that the 10 Club has done an excellent job of designing the process (lottery) to give us the best chance of getting (great) tickets to our hometown show. By having the priority choices for tickets it ensures that you have priority over everyone else who is trying to attend it as their second choice on the tour as we've seen today, anything below 1st choice doesn't get you a ticket unless it is for a small market where there are extra tickets available.

The band secures the best seats in the house for us and has tried to design a ticketing process that is best for the fans. For those of us disappointed in not getting tickets today, let's remember that PJ has done everything in their power to look out for us and provide the best ticketing process for their fans.

There's a reason this band has been the soundtrack of our lives and there's a reason why we're so loyal to them.

Thank you Pearl Jam.

Nice to see this kind of response on here today. And getting 10club tickets is not the only way to see a show. People are making way too big a deal out of losing.
    +1

Most of my shows have always been non-10c tickets. it's only the upcoming Euro tour where I tried for 10c tickets.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Mamasan80 said:

I put in for GA and reserved for Denver, Moline, and Detroit, and GA for Lincoln. I didn't get any of them. I've seen the band over 100 times in the past 21 years, and I've had some great experiences, so I'm not really going to freak out. That said, I do think the lottery is a little bit flawed - I'm not sure what the perfect system is. I'm not thrilled about paying $20 a year for basically the same free lottery as Phish does, but I guess this is where we're at in 2014.

Anybody can enter the Phish lottery, and they are notorious for handing out lawn seats like candy to lottery winners. Totally different system.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    GlentazmanGlentazman Posts: 89
    Thank you Ten Club!!
    Both me and my mom won for Milwaukee Reserved. Family reunion is on for Wisconsin.
  • Options
    JG49071JG49071 Posts: 77
    I only entered and won Cincy reserve seats. I find it funny and at the same time irritating and a little sad some of the people who constantly brag about seeing the band 50-100 times before complaining because they may have gotten shut out this time around. There are only a handful of dates this time. This tour really should be for those who were not able to just up and travel to whereever during the last tour because of family or jobs. I live in Columbus. This will be the first time I ever travel to another city for a concert. And it will only be my 4th time seeing them, and I've been in the fanclub for over 15 years. Hell, I remember the first time I got tickets through the fanclub I had to print off the form, send a money order and the form by SNAIL MAIL to them in order to get the tickets. It's crazy seeing people going to so many shows. That's a lot of money. The world won't end if you miss them during this time around. There are plenty of other great shows this summer and fall. The Foos will have a new album so you know they will tour. Try and catch Motley Crue since it's their final tour, and Alice Fuckin Cooper is opening! I'm catching that one in July and can't wait.
  • Options
    RG307469RG307469 Posts: 54
    Put in just for Cincinnati floor and reserved, and won the floor. If I lost that, I would have gone to Austin instead, since either way I'd be travelling.
  • Options
    1st choice - won Lincoln GA
    2nd choice - won Tulsa reserved

Coming from Houston. Can't wait.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Everyone's opinion is completely valid, and there is a counter-argument for each side.

Back in the 3x5 days, you were all but assured tickets (first to just 1 show, and then for any show you wanted). And if they had more demand than tickets, they did their best to give you spillover tickets to another show. Yeah it was a hassle to get money orders/etc, but you made it work.

Then the f5 world came. People bitched and moaned, but if you knew how to work the system it usually worked out in your favor. Over the years I only lost out on 1 pre-sale, and it was because I had a friend do it for me (I was on vaca and not near a computer) and he did not have the patience to sit there and refresh for 45 mins through all of the crashes. yes, I know why the f5 world pissed some people off, but for a lot of people it worked fine with a little bit of patience and perseverance. There were always those who could not be near a computer, or didn't have a credit card, or just had bad luck...but no system is perfect. In many markets there simply aren't enough tickets to go around...regardless of what pre-sale system is used.

Now it's the tiered priority lottery world. It's almost a combination of f5 meets 3x5 days. It sucks that figuring out your priority is kind of a shot in the dark...but that's where the news odds feature comes into play (and seemed to work for some). It's not perfect, but it makes people really think about their top priority show(s). That's kind of a plus.

For years we had it good: persevere through the f5 system and you were rewarded. It was great to see so many familiar faces at shows over the span of like a decade. We got spoiled. Really spoiled. Almost NO other band's fans had it that good. But things changed. I don't know if it was just because of more members, or people complaining about the antiquated system, or if the band just wanted to try something new (along the lines of the 1/2 and 9/10 random rows and then GA...), but here we are. It's no longer easy to just get a run of shows through the 10C and then do a tour. you have to work a little harder now. I mean, god forbid you lose out on 10C tickets and have to use Ticketmaster. On leg 1 last year I got 10C for 1 show and had to use TM for the other 4 I wanted. I got nice upgrades for 2 shows, and had mediocre seats for the other 2. I still rocked the hell out at every show. Yeah, so for 2 shows i wasn't surrounded by 10C members...so what? I still gave it my all and did my thing. What can you do?

I have been a member since '97 and Memphis will be show #43 for me, going back to '96. I've been around. All of the old members complaining about the new system: just realize you had it good for a LONG time. This is a very popular band and they are doing what they can to make the fans happy. They do more than any other band I know. Phish (whom I love) has a pre-sale for anyone who wants to enter. I entered for 3 shows on this tour...and got tickets for all 3. LAWN tickets for all 3. Some pre-sale, eh? Can you imagine if PJ did this?

It will never be what it was. There is NO system that will make us all happy. I was super bummed last year to see "LOST" next to 4 shows. But I made it work. I went to 5 shows and had a BLAST. Yeah it sucks to miss out on 10C tickets, but going to the shows is the most important thing. There is ALWAYS a way to get tickets...and 10C members are always generous and helpful. Just be glad the band is still touring and playing at a VERY high level. We still have it good with this band.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I have said it ad nauseum, but the current structure of having GA/RES separate from each show invites a lot of clowing around the rules. Why not sign up family and close friends for extra 10c accounts in the 500XXX (as GA doesnt count). I could have 10 chances for GA (more if I have a 10c pal) to your 1.

My somewhat decent 10c # I have cultivated over years can be for reserved only. Why burn it on GA chances when we have so many "new" members in the pool.