Options

who's ready for pittsburgh??

13»

Comments

• Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Does anyone know how the arena is for a show?? small?? good sound?? etc

I was wondering that too. Although it's not the nicest arena, I'm just hoping the sound is nice, because other than that nothing can really take away from the atmosphere of the concert, or can it? How is the sound - and does the quality of the venue take away from the concert (did it effect it in '03?) Sounds stupid, but oh well.

As for size, it's a typical arena, and according to Wikipedia it holds 17,740 people for concerts.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    the arena sucks and the sound is usually sub-par.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    I know....wrong thread for this, but I am in need of a good single ticket for the Pittsburgh show. I saw the DC show but was in the rafters and as such suffered from HORRIBLE sound quality. Couldn't hear a guitar to save me.

I had looked so forward to the show that the end result for me was majorly dissapointing (great show, no doubt but inaudible!). Anyone who can help would be forever in my blessings!

Cheers,

Dorian Wilde
    Chad
  • Options
    shekkieshekkie Posts: 79
    The "Old-Ass Mellon" holds around 17,000 People at full capacity. As far as sound, I think its all about where you're sitting. Living in the area, I've seen a lot of shows there and some were better than others. In 2003 I was side stage and it was a little low, but also a LOT of people were around me singing their little heads off. So I don't know if this helps you out any, but I'm sure we're in for a great show. GET WELL BEN!!!!!!
    9/24/96 8/25/98 9/5/00 4/25/03 4/26/03 10/2/04 9/28/05 5/20/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 8/2/07 8/5/07 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09 10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/4/10 5/9/10 10/11/13
  • Options
    neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    please play corduroy
  • Options
    see yinz there :-)
    6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I wish I could go. . . I wanted to see them in Pittsburgh. Maybe some other year. Have fun!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    I know....wrong thread for this, but I am in need of a good single ticket for the Pittsburgh show. I saw the DC show but was in the rafters and as such suffered from HORRIBLE sound quality. Couldn't hear a guitar to save me.

I had looked so forward to the show that the end result for me was majorly dissapointing (great show, no doubt but inaudible!). Anyone who can help would be forever in my blessings!

Cheers,

Dorian Wilde

Check your pm's
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    Eddie KGBEddie KGB Posts: 4
    So are a bunch of you...yinz...going to the Red Star Tavern in Station Square for the pre party?? Is this still on and what's going on with drink specials for ticket holders, I have seen that mentioned in some previous posts about the Pitts show? I AM SO EXCITED!! I work til 2 and my boyfriend probably til 4:30 but I'm thinking of driving to Pitts by myself from Cranberry after work hehehe and surround myself with awesome PJ fans.

And I'm wondering when the Here We Go Steelers chant will take place...perhaps we should place bets..I'm saying as everyone is leaving the show there will be one...those not from Pittsburgh...this happens at EVERY event basically...concerts, tailgating, what have you, there is always a rowdy Here We Go chant..its ingraining into our culture, allow me to apologize now.

Just a heads up to the people going to the Red Star Tavern...it's not exactly the best scenario. Sure it's a nice bar, apparently a lot going on there, but it's a hike if you're going to walk to the arena. Cab service is basically nill in Pittsburgh. It's not like this place is across the street.
  • Options
    m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    Eddie KGB wrote:
    Just a heads up to the people going to the Red Star Tavern...it's not exactly the best scenario. Sure it's a nice bar, apparently a lot going on there, but it's a hike if you're going to walk to the arena. Cab service is basically nill in Pittsburgh. It's not like this place is across the street.

1.8 miles according to Mapquest
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Only eight days now!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    m0jorisen wrote:
    1.8 miles according to Mapquest

ohh thanks for the heads up. Will have to speak to my crew about this.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,319
    I'm not going to be able to get there until about 5pm and would prefer to just set up some chairs and have a few beers in the parking lot.

Is that allowed, and if so is there a particularly good lot?

Thanks!
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    pj1023pj1023 Posts: 47
    i can't wait mellon arena is a crappy arena but my fav. band in my hometown is going to be awesome!!!
    Shows
    Pittsburgh- (4/26/03)
    Pittsburgh w/ Stones- (9/28/06)
    Cleveland- (5/20/06)
    Pittsburgh- (6/23/06)
    Cincy- (6/24/06)
  • Options
    i'll be there, but 2 of us still need tickets!
    please pm me if you have extras...

also, if anyone needs a ride from NYC area (long island) to pitts and cincy, let me know. we are renting a minivan and the more ppl we have, the cheaper it is! it's about 250 for the whole weekend. so, for example if there are 5 of us, it'll be $50/per person.

peace.
    LP
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    I'm not going to be able to get there until about 5pm and would prefer to just set up some chairs and have a few beers in the parking lot.

Is that allowed, and if so is there a particularly good lot?

Thanks!

Anyone know?
  • Options
    stickdudestickdude Posts: 5
    Anyone know?

Plenty of tailgating goes on in Pittsburgh. The Mellon Arena lots are pretty small compared to most venues. But there will be plenty of people there tailgating. I didn't want to miss out, so I bought a parking pass on ticketmaster.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Only Three More Days!!!!!!!! :D:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    stickdude wrote:
    Plenty of tailgating goes on in Pittsburgh. The Mellon Arena lots are pretty small compared to most venues. But there will be plenty of people there tailgating. I didn't want to miss out, so I bought a parking pass on ticketmaster.

Thanks, stick.

Do you think I'll be able to find a spot at 4:30 or so, or should I book via Ticketmaster? I'd rather not if I can help it.
  • Options
    neutron baumneutron baum Posts: 294
    I am definately ready for Pittsburgh! Anyone know if there is a PJ pre-show party or get-together?
  • Options
    NicheNiche Posts: 16
    4 30 is very early. there should be arena parking available practicaly right up till show time. been to lots of shows there and never had trouble finding a spot. there are also private lots and street parking available.
  • Options
    ohh thanks for the heads up. Will have to speak to my crew about this.

there's a "subway" train....that will take you from Station Square to 1 block away from Mellon Arena....3 minute ride...something like $2.00

take that and show up to the Red ....whatever tavern!!

"troubled souls UNITE!!!"
    Barrie '98
    Toronto '03
    Ottawa '05
    Toronto '05
    Toronto I '06
    Toronto II '06
    Camden I '06
    Camden II '06
    Pittsburgh '06
    Hartford '08
    Mansfield II '08
    Toronto I - EV '08
    Toronto II - EV '08 (this one takes the cake!!)
  • Options
    grandr0yalgrandr0yal Posts: 67
    I dont feel like paying bar price drinks so me and my friends are tailgating at station square parking lot - down from chevorlet amp. then taking the "T" (trolley) to mellon arena.

More people the better ;)
    06/23/2006 - Best night of my life.
    See yins in pittsburgh 2007
    Rock on steelers!

www.myspace.com/nickpc
  • Options
    luckily i can get hammered at my house since the Trolley stop is in my backyard :) I am predicting a here we go steelers chant what do you think the band from seattle would react to that ???????? heh
  • Options
    I am predicting a here we go steelers chant what do you think the band from seattle would react to that ???????? heh

haha i brought that up in this thread or another about the pitts show..i predict it at the end when everyone is filing out of the arena...that chant happens at everything in pitts, especially the end of concerts. i'm sure some out of towners may not appreciate it if it happens, but we pittsburghers are proud and have been chanting that for years :)
  • Options
    someone bought a parking pass just to be safe? yikes! i actually don't think parking will be a problem, i have never had a problem parking for shows or penguin games...back when the pens were good and the games filled up...

so for those worried about parking, id say theres nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    hey guys,
    do you know if pearl jam is planning to go to a bar after the pittsburgh concert? please if someone knows something please let me know.
  • Options
    Anyone know when Mellon pkg lots open? Are doors open at 6:30?