Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    It good news there was an all out party of fireworks and cars doing donuts around cop cars at City Hall last night. I love this city, it's a damn shame the sportzball teams don't.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    It good news there was an all out party of fireworks and cars doing donuts around cop cars at City Hall last night. I love this city, it's a damn shame the sportzball teams don't.
    I will preface this by saying I love this city too and I doubt this conversation is going to go anywhere, but I am not a little bit of a fan of what is happening.

Over the past 3 days...

A 60+ year old was stabbed and killed in Queen Village

Someone was shot and killed at the Wawa on Delaware Blvd, which as discussed is an absolute shit hole, but still.

This terrible situation that happened at Jeff overnight.

Not to mention there was a shooting with 20+ shots in broad daylight at 2nd and Tasker earlier this year on the exact route I take to pick up my daughter from daycare like 20 minutes before I walked by. I know there was one right by you too

And I am not a fan of the dirt bikes.  Definitely old man of me, but my mother in law has been caught in them coming from Port Richmond to South Philly and was nervous for her safety on multiple occasions.

In positive news, Johnny Doc goes on trial, though there is a 1% chance anything happens to him

It's been a rough year for the city

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,742
    How's it "old man" to be against allowing crazy loud polluting maniacs run wild all over the city with illegal vehicles? They are essentially terroristic.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    How's it "old man" to be against allowing crazy loud polluting maniacs run wild all over the city with illegal vehicles? They are essentially terroristic.
    Yeah, I don't know. I don't feel like it is the popular opinion among a lot of progressives (probably not the right word), but I am with you.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Conflating people in cars and dirtbikes with gun violence is dumb. Anytime the cops of this city are made to look like fools I'm a fan of.  Arrest rates for non-homicidal case are incredibly low. Somehow this is the DA's fault.....but but but Krasner. Nothing better than these dipshits making it political and saying "wahhhh our hands are tied." No, first, arrest people, then the DA does their job, it doesn't work the other way around. And tweets like these below by the sensationalist news love their relationship with the cops, while also using their dog whistles. Something not qwhite white about it, can't put my finger on it...

Would it be better if everyone in Dilworth Park and drank wine on a picnic blanket and gazed at Billy Penn? Sure, maybe, depending.

And you're right, I'm not getting into it re: the gun violence. It's almost like we're in a record year(s) of some kind of catastrophic global event happening that are making things worse for those on the bottom, no matter what city or country you live in:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/us/fbi-murders-2020-cities.html

There wasn't one "near" me, it was practically on top of us. I have the video on my camera if anyone would like for their viewing pleasure. Wife and I watched the cops dump the kid's body into a police car and speed off. I talked to this kid's dad and told him anything you need we'll help with, whatever it is, we'll do, as awkwardly as we could.

The only thing that was solidified for me re: shootings/violence as a statistic, is that anecdotes aren't proof of what is. But it is certainly true that every statistic is deeply personal.

Also the crime/violence rates are still wayyy lower than they were at their peaks, not even close. It's almost like access to data and media of this shit all the time magnifies it all 1000x. I guarantee you there's been someone killed in QV, society hill, etc in more ways than one over decades. All the people that moved to Jersey and other burbs act like it was better in their time, I guarantee you it was not. Crime/violence stats in the 70's/80's/90's much worse.

If these kids wanna do donuts at City Hall as a big F-U to everyone around them - especially the cops - I'm all for it. Much better than shooting guns. But to conflate that with legitimate violence is a problem, one that comes with a shit ton of privilege.
  • Options
    Sure and there is a privilege in the feeling that the violent walls are closing in on us personally, while half the city has dealt with it daily for decades. I don't deny that. And I am not conflating whatever happened at City Hall with the violence. I just saw one video and granted it looked pretty cool, but it reminded me of the dirt bikes, then read about everything that happened over the weekend while we were at the shore (again privilege that I am not denying) and wake up to the Jefferson news this morning, where my mother in law spends way too much time (often literally on the 9th floor). It's just frustrating and sad and scary and I can't imagine people that have to deal with this every day.  

I am also not pretending I have solutions for any of this. I don't and I don't pretend to.  It's just very frustrating.

I didn't remember but now I do about how bad the situation by you was.  It's sick and sad and terrible and that's huge of you.  And yeah, the pandemic clearly plays a role, but I don't know. There has to be more to it. I know one side is going to scream Krasner, the other side is going to scream cops...meanwhile we're going to see 500 murders this year, many of which are kids and innocent people and there are going to be church and community leaders on the news every night begging people to put down the guns.

Queen Village was a shit hole 25 years ago. Prayer for a city is literally about the towers and now it's probably a top 5 expensive neighborhood in the city.  A little perspective is defintely needed. New York, Philly, etc. were all worse a long time ago. There is no denying that, and that's great, but it's just frustrating and scary and sad everything that has happened over the past 18 months.

And I am not saying we need a city full of wine drinking, picnic basket carrying yuppies. What makes this city great is the culture. It's just a sad and frustrating year and yeah, it feels like it's getting closer and closer to home and it's scary. The video of the shooting at 2nd and tasker, there was a couple walking a stroller and ran down Tasker, the guys gets out of the car and shoot all over the place in the direction the people with the stroller ran (which was also the way the car they were shooting at drove). That is terrifying.
  • Options
    Absolutely can be terrifying, as can many things can be. Believe me, I'm no way trying to belittle or trivialize these things. It is(was) especially hard for me to step back and rationalize things after the fact.

Personally, I'm more scared of the shit bags who don't stop at stop signs or when I'm riding my bike in the bike lane and still get hit.

Things will get better, I believe that. The further we get away from Covid (whenever that starts happening here), and hoping that another catastrophic once in a century event doesn't happen in that time, that we'll be better for it all. I can see my block, city, in 5 years and it looks great.

I'm actually reading Prayer for The City now. Not sure if I like it or not.
  • Options
    No doubt and it's a good point that these things are likely lower on the risks of stepping outside, but it's different.

I liked it. I read it probably in my first 5 years or so that I lived here so was a good history of the past 30 years of a place I didn't know as well as I do now.  I thought the Navy Yard stuff was super interesting and it's awesome to see what they are doing down there now. I lived in QV for ~7 years or so, so that was interesting to me too. I do remember it me taking a while to get through
  • Options
    Always up for people trashing Ben Simmons, Nelson Agholar, etc. on the news.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Sweet SHN is up on Nugs.
  • Options
    Sweet SHN is up on Nugs.
    It sounds great. Great, great mix. Kinda sounds better than it did there live actually. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548
    Sweet SHN is up on Nugs.
    KOOL !!
  • Options
    cutz said:
    She mixed up the date of the Broad Street Run.

• Options
    Apparently this cow escaped from a butcher shop. Good stuff.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    The poor animal had to be terrified.  :rofl:     
    Nutso.

Speaking of the Broad Street Run I was dissapointed to have to defer my entry to 2022.  With my training schedule I have to run 25 miles on Saturday and there was not any easy way to fit in 10 miles in a giant crowd of yahoos with the other 15 miles and not make me feel like I was either doing too much or too little for my body. 
    Look forward to it next year....
    Still have three other areas runs coming up with this is the funny one I was looking forward to.

Anyone here running it?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Haven't run it in years, but I think 2022 will be my return. Wait, so why are you running 25 fucking miles? Are you doing a marathon soon?
  • Options
    My training just went nowhere this year - I did do a five mile race in June in Narberth. That's about it.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    I am doing the Schuylkill River 50K Ultra at the end of this month - being 31 miles this week is my peak as far as the training program in prep for the Ultra.

Will do the Run The Bridge 10K the week after that -- this is such a cool run if you have never done it....running over/back on the Ben Franklin is sweet.
    Closing this running season with the Philadelphia Marathon just before Thanksgiving.
    Not sure how this will go, given that my entire year has been about gearing up for an October 30th Ultra...so my training will be off.  Don't much care, though, as the focus was on the longer run so this will just be the cherry on top.

Then, I will rest.  :lol:  

Still kicking around the idea of a 50 Mile Ultra next year, but not sure if I want to make that commitment.  Serious time involved in all of this training -- and also in trying to eat enough to fuel this endurance shit and ice/stretch enough each day for my body to still work.

Cliffy, is the Mrs doing the Half again this year? 
  • Options
    I am doing the Schuylkill River 50K Ultra at the end of this month - being 31 miles this week is my peak as far as the training program in prep for the Ultra.

Will do the Run The Bridge 10K the week after that -- this is such a cool run if you have never done it....running over/back on the Ben Franklin is sweet.
    Closing this running season with the Philadelphia Marathon just before Thanksgiving.
    Not sure how this will go, given that my entire year has been about gearing up for an October 30th Ultra...so my training will be off.  Don't much care, though, as the focus was on the longer run so this will just be the cherry on top.

Then, I will rest.  :lol:  

Still kicking around the idea of a 50 Mile Ultra next year, but not sure if I want to make that commitment.  Serious time involved in all of this training -- and also in trying to eat enough to fuel this endurance shit and ice/stretch enough each day for my body to still work.

Cliffy, is the Mrs doing the Half again this year? 
    I don't think so. I think she'll be in the mayhem this Sunday though.

That is wild, dude.  Good for you.
  • Options
    Ha, damn, good stuff, man. Have you down the Rocky Run? Just the thought of all that has my knees throbbing right now.

I turn 40 next year. I've made my goal to do the Escape the Cape & Tri the Wildwoods triathlons. We'll see how this goes.
  • Options
    Also, FYI - the "Italian Pride Parade" will be going on, too, down Broad Street (figure in the afternoon). Don't know the logistics of all this, but something to be aware of if you plan on lingering after finishing up.
  • Options
    I have not done the Rocky Run.
    I was never a runner...life happened and my frustrations with an issue I had no control over lead me to charging head on into running and that just somehow lead to me saying I wanted to run a 50 mile race before I hit 50.

47 now.

The triathlons seem like a great time but I am not a swimmer.  I can swim - have a pool, etc...but I am not really a swimmer and would need to go back and get lessons and shit.

My sister got crazy into Spartan a few years back and did the "trifecta" series -- blew out her knee in the first part of one of the races and finished anyway.
    The 26.2 I ran last year, I did it with a torn tendon in my ankle.

Think that beating the shit out of my body to help my brain needs to change gears.

The next thing, for me -- regardless of if that is 2022 or if I decide to do the 50 miles in 2022 and then next thing starts in 2023....is getting down the Wim Hof method. 
    I don't know why this rings a bell with my crazy head, but it does.  I will get a copper/cold tub and a full year hot tub (ours closes for winter now) and totally get into this until I can train my body to be able to embrace the cold.

Honestly, once I tapped into this driven/physical way of living I don't think there is any way I want to stray too far from it.  There is something tremendously gratifying, to me, in the challenge of the type of goals I need to work at every single day.

Guess I am a weirdo but I am totally good with that!

• Options
    I heard that people max out at 20-mile training runs even for ultra-marathons, which seems weird. Anyway best of luck!!!

• Options
    Delco poll worker training on Saturday - maybe I'll run into Frank from Havertown (from the training video).

• Options
    I heard that people max out at 20-mile training runs even for ultra-marathons, which seems weird. Anyway best of luck!!!

Yeah, that might be foolish for ultras.  For marathons, that is frequently the benchmark for people.  You need to extend your mileage slowly to try and prevent injury.  One of our fellow 10c members just ran a 100 mile race and he was running much further and doing b2b long run days.  If you went from 20 miles as your long to 30 that is way too large an increase. 

I actually adapted my marathon regimen to this Ultra, since it is a short Ultra.  [Increased the plan by 19%]  The research I did for the longer races has far more mileage.  As it is the icing and stretching is kinda crazy!
  • Options
    Got salmon curry at Reading Terminal and pretty sure the guy yelled at me about playing on my phone in line. Don't ever change Little Thai Market!

• Options
    Got salmon curry at Reading Terminal and pretty sure the guy yelled at me about playing on my phone in line. Don't ever change Little Thai Market!
    Damn tourist!
  • Options
    Skrimp Dumplings from Sang Kee
    Hershel's pastrami/slaw/swiss/russian on rye
    big old fucking Amish steaks to bring home

Been since pandemic started since I have gone and pigged out there.
    Need to go back soon.