PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Nice.  Looking forward to checking out.  How big was the pit area?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Nice.  Looking forward to checking out.  How big was the pit area?
    It looked smaller than the tower, it was seated though. kinda weird. The Met holds 3,500 and the tower hold 3,100. The floor section seemed smaller. I guess the upper levels hold more? I couldn't really see them though cause i was towards the back on the orch. floor
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Cool, thanks.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Anyone been to The Met yet? Going tonight to see Kurt Vile. Was wondering how parking is down there.
    went last night. Pretty cool venue. Kinda reminded me of a combination of The Tower, The Troc and the Merriam theater. If you do go there try and find off street parking. Lots were expensive. I parked near the Union Transfer and just walked (about 3/4 mile).
    Was there Saturday night as well! Definitely an old opera house. You walk in and boom doors to the theater right there.

Great show, by the way. I guess I didn't realize how good he is at playing guitar.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Imagine if the Phillies didn’t sign Santana or cubs nerd and did sign JD Martinez...in how much better spot would this team would be?
    Philly New Year’s Day number 12 for me. Let’s go!
    I enjoyed this new years day thoroughly. fact(regardless of bias): no where beats Philly for New Years.
    I laugh uncontrollably when I turn on the mummers parade on TV each New Year's day.  So ridiculous.  
    I like that people can have fun.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I just want this whole Harper/Machado saga to come to an end ASAP. Now I'm seeing Harper may drag this out into February because he feels, rightly so, that he'll have move leverage after Machado signs. Ugh.....

chinese-happy.jpg
    I just want this whole Harper/Machado saga to come to an end ASAP. Now I'm seeing Harper may drag this out into February because he feels, rightly so, that he'll have move leverage after Machado signs. Ugh.....

Yeah I've mentally prepared myself for the outcome that they get neither. And that's fine. I think you should have your ceiling on what you're willing to offer and continue to build your roster regardless of whether you get either of them. If neither of them remotely wants to be here then I would stop pursuing them.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited January 2019
    Phillies have signed David Robertson for 2/$23 with a team  option in  2021 for $12 Mil
    Boom
    Ugh.  Love it for you guys. There is definitely going to be a strike in a couple years.
    Nice. Now let's grab one of the two big fish and call it a day. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Also don't rule out neither of those fish and instead another reliever. I can live with that.
    Also don't rule out neither of those fish and instead another reliever. I can live with that.
    Yeah, certainly can't call it a day after just one of them.  Need more work than that.

DRob is legitimately my favorite reliever of the last 10 or so years not named Mo.  He'll be good.  He walks a tightrope that can be a little frustrating but dude has balls and gets out of some massive jams.  Real good deal.  Unacceptable deal for baseball if you ask me, but great deal for Phillies
    Yeah, certainly can't call it a day after just one of them.  Need more work than that.

DRob is legitimately my favorite reliever of the last 10 or so years not named Mo.  He'll be good.  He walks a tightrope that can be a little frustrating but dude has balls and gets out of some massive jams.  Real good deal.  Unacceptable deal for baseball if you ask me, but great deal for Phillies
    Explain please.

Explain please.
    Contracts are way too small.  Saw on Twitter that Brandon League got $35 mil in 2012.  The players are getting a smaller and smaller piece of the pie.  D Rob has been one of the most consistent and probably the most durable reliever over a decade and he's getting $25mil? Come on.  There is definitely going to be a strike when the CBA is up in a couple years or whatever.  Think we're in for a messy one.

Explain please.
    Contracts are way too small.  Saw on Twitter that Brandon League got $35 mil in 2012.  The players are getting a smaller and smaller piece of the pie.  D Rob has been one of the most consistent and probably the most durable reliever over a decade and he's getting $25mil? Come on.  There is definitely going to be a strike when the CBA is up in a couple years or whatever.  Think we're in for a messy one.
    Been thinking about this and may play total devil's advocate here, so humor me because I enjoy the topic. 

1) What makes you think contracts are too small when there's a chance Harper and Machado blow a record (though those chances are dwindling)?

2) Doesn't the Player's Association bring this upon themselves when "you get what you want"(aka no salary cap)? I teeter between the belief that in MLB if there isn't going to be a salary cap then there should be a salary floor. But then I wrestle with the fact that the benefit for a player in a world with no salary cap is unlimited amounts of dollars if the market dictates (and a risk you accept as an organization), while the  risk you accept as the player is also getting paid shit if the market dictates that as well.

3) His AAV is in line with what's commensurate with his stats no? I know not the years, but again the market (and age) dictates that. Just thinking of the absurd Papelbon contract - he was 31 when he signed a 5 year deal that expired when he was 35. Robertson will be 34 and 35 when it expires, possibly 36. So I don't think that's unreasonable.

4) I think the biggest re-negotiations will be centered around the TV deals and revenue sharing, etc. I think those golden deals of RSN contracts are over. If anything I could see owners reigning in and reducing the dollars, but maybe instilling a salary floor as a bargaining agreement with the PA? Also, ownership may have some leverage when it comes to expansion since the PA will be happy that means another 80 roster positions, and two more (bullshit) DH positions, etc.

Also just read that he represented himself? Maybe that's an issue too?

Explain please.
    Been thinking about this and may play total devil's advocate here, so humor me because I enjoy the topic. 

1) What makes you think contracts are too small when there's a chance Harper and Machado blow a record (though those chances are dwindling)?

2) Doesn't the Player's Association bring this upon themselves when "you get what you want"(aka no salary cap)? I teeter between the belief that in MLB if there isn't going to be a salary cap then there should be a salary floor. But then I wrestle with the fact that the benefit for a player in a world with no salary cap is unlimited amounts of dollars if the market dictates (and a risk you accept as an organization), while the  risk you accept as the player is also getting paid shit if the market dictates that as well.

3) His AAV is in line with what's commensurate with his stats no? I know not the years, but again the market (and age) dictates that. Just thinking of the absurd Papelbon contract - he was 31 when he signed a 5 year deal that expired when he was 35. Robertson will be 34 and 35 when it expires, possibly 36. So I don't think that's unreasonable.

4) I think the biggest re-negotiations will be centered around the TV deals and revenue sharing, etc. I think those golden deals of RSN contracts are over. If anything I could see owners reigning in and reducing the dollars, but maybe instilling a salary floor as a bargaining agreement with the PA? Also, ownership may have some leverage when it comes to expansion since the PA will be happy that means another 80 roster positions, and two more (bullshit) DH positions, etc.

But that first one is really the issue. Shouldn't 15 or 20 teams be in on Harper and Macahdo?  These are rich teams that can afford these players very easily.  Why in the absolute hell is Manny Macahdo's market limited to the Yankees, Phillies and White Sox?  That is pure insanity to me.

Why did Brandon friggen League get $10 million more guaranteed than probably the most durable and a top 10 reliever in the game?  Representing himself was definitely an issue, but still.

So are the options a CBA with a salary cap but player's are guaranteed a percentage of the revenue like the NBA or this where it's basically a completely free market?  Anything else?  Have a reeeeally tough time seeing owners go for that first one.

This is pretty good.

https://theathletic.com/748860/2019/01/04/rosenthal-the-slow-market-for-harper-and-machado-is-another-sign-that-baseballs-current-system-is-broken/

Sorry I didn't go point by point.  But 6 weeks before spring training, should players like Machado, Harper, Britton, Kimbrel, Keuchel really be out there looking for jobs?  I get that a lot of that is likely on the player and agent, but still.

Final prediction based on the very terrible rumors out there now.

Harper: Nats for 10 years and $360 mil
    Manny: Phillies for 10 years and $310 mil

Stop jinxing us. Go back to the Yankees thread.
    chinese-happy.jpg

There's no such thing as a jinx.

Yanks are indifferent.  White Sox are the White Sox.  Nats rumors for Harper are picking up steam and seems logical.

There's no such thing as a jinx.

Yanks are indifferent.  White Sox are the White Sox.  Nats rumors for Harper are picking up steam and seems logical.
    You're the White Sox.
    chinese-happy.jpg

Explain please.

But that first one is really the issue. Shouldn't 15 or 20 teams be in on Harper and Macahdo?  These are rich teams that can afford these players very easily.  Why in the absolute hell is Manny Macahdo's market limited to the Yankees, Phillies and White Sox?  That is pure insanity to me.

Why did Brandon friggen League get $10 million more guaranteed than probably the most durable and a top 10 reliever in the game?  Representing himself was definitely an issue, but still.

So are the options a CBA with a salary cap but player's are guaranteed a percentage of the revenue like the NBA or this where it's basically a completely free market?  Anything else?  Have a reeeeally tough time seeing owners go for that first one.

This is pretty good.

https://theathletic.com/748860/2019/01/04/rosenthal-the-slow-market-for-harper-and-machado-is-another-sign-that-baseballs-current-system-is-broken/

Sorry I didn't go point by point.  But 6 weeks before spring training, should players like Machado, Harper, Britton, Kimbrel, Keuchel really be out there looking for jobs?  I get that a lot of that is likely on the player and agent, but still.

Based on this article I guess MLB has gone beyond the RSN money. Wow.

And, yes, the owners I guess are gaming the system as much as the players once did? I'd say the issue of the luxury tax is pretty stupid. Again, I'd argue that you need a cheap-o tax as much as a luxury tax (like caps and floors) - otherwise get rid of it because it makes zero sense. I'd agree there's something to be said that the more money these teams are making should mean higher adjusted salaries for the players, especially in a world of no salary cap.

They should probably cut the club control and arbitration years in half where they total 3 years or something.
    So Johnny Cigar Bucks is making the Vegas trip too? LET'S GET STUPID!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    So Johnny Cigar Bucks is making the Vegas trip too? LET'S GET STUPID!

Since the cigar money drum gets beat so hard, I thought I'd look up what exactly they sell for cigars and oh my, black and milds

2nd rate cigars for a 2nd rate baseball team.
    Since the cigar money drum gets beat so hard, I thought I'd look up what exactly they sell for cigars and oh my, black and milds

2nd rate cigars for a 2nd rate baseball team.
    That's cute, Cliff.
    chinese-happy.jpg