PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    Four hours at CBP today and dinner tonight? Can't be a bad sign...
    I mean, the guy isn't going to get up and walk out in the middle of a meeting and it's not like dinner is spur of the moment.   He is going through with his plans.  You are making waaaaaayyy too much of these meetings. This isn't college. He's making sure he'd be comfortable with whoever offers him the most money and he will be...simple as that.

There are 3 teams and the team that gets him offers the biggest contract...quite possibly the Phillies
    although I agree with you aren't you the same guy who in the Yankees thread said a 1.5 hour meeting couldn't be a good sign?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    pjhawks said:
    Four hours at CBP today and dinner tonight? Can't be a bad sign...
    I mean, the guy isn't going to get up and walk out in the middle of a meeting and it's not like dinner is spur of the moment.   He is going through with his plans.  You are making waaaaaayyy too much of these meetings. This isn't college. He's making sure he'd be comfortable with whoever offers him the most money and he will be...simple as that.

There are 3 teams and the team that gets him offers the biggest contract...quite possibly the Phillies
    although I agree with you aren't you the same guy who in the Yankees thread said a 1.5 hour meeting couldn't be a good sign?
    That I am, but I realized it was stupid. All things Yankees and Hal are pissing me off. This team is poised to win the world series now and it seems they are being cheap and I get annoyed at everything

Machado has played something like 50 games at yankee stadium. He has been there for Old Timer's day as an opponent, he's boys with Arod.  He knows what the Yankees are and they know what he is.  What do they have to say to each other?  If the money works out he'll be a Yankee, if Hal sucks as much as I think, he won't.

I do like that Beltran was there at dinner as it is very respected with the latin players and can speak to playing for a variety of teams.  That said, it's about the money and right now, the only way I see the Yankees getting him is if he takes a discount to play for the team he wants to play for, which i am 99% sure isn't going to happen.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,215
    So an hour and a half with the Yankees is a bad sign and four hours with Phillies is....meh?

Come on, Cliff. 

“Can’t be a bad sign.” That’s all I said. Obviously money will talk the loudest. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited December 2018
    So an hour and a half with the Yankees is a bad sign and four hours with Phillies is....meh?

Come on, Cliff. 

“Can’t be a bad sign.” That’s all I said. Obviously money will talk the loudest. 
    I clarified my remarks on the yankees. I don’t think 15 minutes or two days really means dick
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    edited December 2018
    My prediction is you guys get manny, dodgers or nats get Harper and Yankees get two legit relievers 

edit: the only thing I’m holding out hope for is that the Yankees can’t be this close to winning it all, sign J.A. happ for gods sake and show interest in machado knowing what he’s going to cost and not sign him. 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

Come on, Cliff. 

I clarified my remarks on the yankees. I don’t think 15 minutes or two days really means dick
    What about 14 minutes or 3 days
    chinese-happy.jpg

Come on, Cliff. 

What about 14 minutes or 3 days
    That would actually make a huge difference
    This means he is definitely signing here, guys:

chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Ha.
    I think they overpay and he signs in Philly.  Franco gets traded to someone for a box of old cleats and then puts it all together.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,764
    Haha, I'm actually coming around to the thought that the Phils sign neither. Bah. Humbug.
    Ha.
    I think they overpay and he signs in Philly.  Franco gets traded to someone for a box of old cleats and then puts it all together.  
    What constitutes an overpay?  10/300 seems like the base so is $350 overpay, $375?

Haha, I'm actually coming around to the thought that the Phils sign neither. Bah. Humbug.
    10 year contracts are never a good idea.  Has there ever been a good one?  Arod's first is probably the best.  That said, these guys are younger than almost everyone who has hit free agency, so hopefully there's less risk.
    10 year contracts are never a good idea.  Has there ever been a good one?  Arod's first is probably the best.  That said, these guys are younger than almost everyone who has hit free agency, so hopefully there's less risk.
    But didn't ARod's include a plethora of player options? Or are we talking about the Rangers contract?

I just get the feeling that neither player wants to really come here, it's not appealing at all, and the only way they come here is if they massively overpay in terms of AAV and years and/or giving a ton of control to the player in terms of options.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Ha.
    What constitutes an overpay?  10/300 seems like the base so is $350 overpay, $375?

I think since there was the 'stupid' comments from leadership that they go 5 mill a year higher than anyone else and go 10 years.  I think your 350 is a good guess.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    But didn't ARod's include a plethora of player options? Or are we talking about the Rangers contract?

I just get the feeling that neither player wants to really come here, it's not appealing at all, and the only way they come here is if they massively overpay in terms of AAV and years and/or giving a ton of control to the player in terms of options.
    Yeah, the Rangers contract.  The one he opted out of then the Yankees gave him the bad 10 year contract.

Yeah, I mean, I don't think it is a terribly attractive destination, but I think their options are somewhat limited by the market.  They player is going to have a ton of control with multiple opt outs, which honestly, could be the best thing if you get like the next 3 or 4 years then they opt out.
    Ha.

I think since there was the 'stupid' comments from leadership that they go 5 mill a year higher than anyone else and go 10 years.  I think your 350 is a good guess.
    I think 10 and 350 would get it done for the Phillies and I would guess that you're probably right that that's about $50 mil above the next best offer, which yeah, anytime you're paying $50 mil more than the next offer, it's probably an overpay.

We shall see. Gonna be an interesting couple weeks.

That David Murphy dude (he still around?) predicted the Yanks would sign Machado for $395...lol, ain't happening dude.

Yeah, the Rangers contract.  The one he opted out of then the Yankees gave him the bad 10 year contract.

Yeah, I mean, I don't think it is a terribly attractive destination, but I think their options are somewhat limited by the market.  They player is going to have a ton of control with multiple opt outs, which honestly, could be the best thing if you get like the next 3 or 4 years then they opt out.
    Right - twist my arm. Hell, I'd be fine if they wanted to opt out after two years.

Right - twist my arm. Hell, I'd be fine if they wanted to opt out after two years.
    Right? It's not going to happen, but it has been floated offering a 2 year $90 or $100 mil contract. I love the idea They get $100 mil, and get to do it all over again at 28 when most good players hit free agency and the team gets what should be two of their best years. Lotta risk on both sides, which is why it won't happen, but I love it.

No long term commitment, but also if they have 1 bad year, you're screwed
    The player should be able to make a ton more than they'd make off just one contract, but injuries, bad year, etc...
    Gigantic AAV

The hustling stuff is nonsense, but he is an absolutely infuriating player to watch play against your team, both because he is good and to F Me's point, because he is a gigantic baby.  There is a lot to this and there will be more than a handful of shaking your head times for whatever team signs him.

https://theathletic.com/727149/2018/12/21/manny-machado-is-about-to-get-paid-a-lot-of-money-but-will-his-new-team-feel-good-about-the-purchase/
    The ARod talk got me curious and went back to look at his Baseball Reference page - I can't believe he didn't win the MVP in '98. Not only did he not win but he came in 9th! That's crazy.
    The ARod talk got me curious and went back to look at his Baseball Reference page - I can't believe he didn't win the MVP in '98. Not only did he not win but he came in 9th! That's crazy.
    Dude, that's insanity. .310 with 42 home runs!  So many steroids on this list

https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1998.shtml#all_AL_MVP_voting

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215

How in the hell does Jeter finish 3rd on that list. He should have been like 10th.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

How in the hell does Jeter finish 3rd on that list. He should have been like 10th.
    Average was a lot more important then?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189

Right? It's not going to happen, but it has been floated offering a 2 year $90 or $100 mil contract. I love the idea They get $100 mil, and get to do it all over again at 28 when most good players hit free agency and the team gets what should be two of their best years. Lotta risk on both sides, which is why it won't happen, but I love it.

The player should be able to make a ton more than they'd make off just one contract, but injuries, bad year, etc...
    Gigantic AAV

If Machado signs here there is little chance he won't piss off the fan base at some point.  hope like hell you get 3-5 stud years from him then dump him to the yanks.
    Poncier said:

Yeah, I'd say ARod and Jeter should be flipped at the least. But ARod should be winning it that year, or coming in 2nd to his teammate Junior.

42 homers and 46 steals. WHAT.
    pjhawks said:

Gigantic AAV

If Machado signs here there is little chance he won't piss off the fan base at some point.  hope like hell you get 3-5 stud years from him then dump him to the yanks.
    I don't think you are familiar with how the Yankees do business...pretty pretty sure if they won't give him 10 years to get the best years, they aren't taking the back end later on.
    Poncier said:

Yeah, I'd say ARod and Jeter should be flipped at the least. But ARod should be winning it that year, or coming in 2nd to his teammate Junior.

42 homers and 46 steals. WHAT.
    For sure.  Insanity.  Arod was so fucking good.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    Poncier said:

There's 3 guys behind him with higher averages, 2 of them hit 40+ HR. All 3 more HR and RBI, all 3 at least 100 points higher OPS than Jeter. He must have serviced all the voters and sent them home with one of his patented Jeets gift baskets.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Gotta wait till 2019 now...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Gotta wait till 2019 now...
    So Harper to the dodgers. You guys are gonna offer machado approximately half a billion