Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Let's do this.  Get your guys on the horn. Edit: the more I think about it, eh.  Yanks should try for other things first or just go with what they have

https://www.mlb.com/news/interesting-possible-mlb-trades-this-offseason/c-301176542

2. Yankees trade Ellsbury and Kahnle to Phillies for Santana
    Trading Carlos Santana would open up first base for Rhys Hoskins, while Ellsbury could slide into the left-field slot. The 35-year-old Ellsbury missed all of 2018 with a hip injury, but the issue was surgically repaired and he's expected to be ready for Spring Training. Santana, who signed a three-year, $60 million deal last offseason, would benefit from a move back to the American League, where he can see some at-bats as a designated hitter.

Santana (two years, $41.5 million) and Ellsbury (two years, roughly $47 million) have roughly the same amount remaining on their contracts, but the Yankees could add right-hander Tommy Kahnle -- who struggled in 2018 following two superb seasons -- into the deal, giving the Phillies a 29-year-old reliever with two more years of club control.

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Lots of stuff going on!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    Tough to keep up with the rumors. Latest seems to be about a Segura trade? Talking with the Rockies as well. 

And to get Corbin, they'd probably have to go to 6 years. I want him but 6 years is kinda crazy for a pitcher of his ilk, no? There's other cheaper pitching options...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Opening of "The Met" tomorrow with dylan doing the honors of christening it. Gonna try and see Kurt Vile there later this month,
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Going to see a show there in January, I believe.  I'm not into them but my CEO loves The Revivalists and wants to check them out...
    Ween would be fun but I'm booked that night as my wife is traveling for work and I need to watch the kiddos.
  • Options
    Great trade
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,785
    If this is the trade then I am ecstatic. 

Going to The Met for the Vile show and Greensky Bluegrass in January.
  • Options
    Also makes me think Machado happens instead of Harper now with there being consensus that Harper may indeed go back to DC. Plus, defense is even more of a priority with Segura most likely your everyday SS.
  • Options
    Also makes me think Machado happens instead of Harper now with there being consensus that Harper may indeed go back to DC. Plus, defense is even more of a priority with Segura most likely your everyday SS.
    Salisbury keeps saying that is still their plan. Machado has to realize that whoever signs him as a ss will move him to third in a couple years anyway.

Also getting a reliever or two back?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    and getting rid of Santana in the trade. great deal.
  • Options
    So Hoskins goes to 1B, Segura is at SS. 
    Decisions at SP, Closer, 3B, LF, 2B...still so much action.  An interesting team to watch given what ownership shared about wanting to spend.
  • Options
    Thing is I convinced myself earlier due to my thinking above that Machado is the move here. But then I wrote out the lineup and I've changed my mind. Ya need Harper in there, too many right-handed bats and I need a strong arm in right.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Segura plus a couple decent relievers? Only giving up Santana and JP. Yeah not bad. 

From what I was reading, Segura seems to be the kind of player that Crawford's ceiling is compared to anyway. Also under team control for 4 years with a team option for year number 5. 

I'd still rather Harper than Machado.  Something like this looks okay to me:

4-Hernandez S /Kingery R
    6-Segura R
    3-Rhys R
    9-Harper L
    5-Franco R /Kingery R
    7-Williams L /Herrera S
    8-Quin L /Herrera S
    2-Alfaro R
    1-Nola

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I don't understand how this is a justifiable trade from the Mariners standpoint, but it's a great trade for the Phillies.
  • Options
    Segura plus a couple decent relievers? Only giving up Santana and JP. Yeah not bad. 

From what I was reading, Segura seems to be the kind of player that Crawford's ceiling is compared to anyway. Also under team control for 4 years with a team option for year number 5. 

4-Hernandez S /Kingery R
    6-Segura R
    3-Rhys R
    9-Harper L
    5-Franco R /Kingery R
    7-Williams L /Herrera S
    8-Quin L /Herrera S
    2-Alfaro R
    1-Nola

I've been watching Segura the last few years and he is good.  Wait til he has a team around him and he will hit even better.

Santana stunk it up this year.  He was supposed to have a breakout year but that never happened.
  • Options

4-Hernandez S /Kingery R
    6-Segura R
    3-Rhys R
    9-Harper L
    5-Franco R /Kingery R
    7-Williams L /Herrera S
    8-Quin L /Herrera S
    2-Alfaro R
    1-Nola

I think they need to cut bait on Franco.  I want to like the guy (he was very nice to my nephew one time at the park) but he kinda sucks. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    i'm not familiar with segura at all. curious as to see what else they do now.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

4-Hernandez S /Kingery R
    6-Segura R
    3-Rhys R
    9-Harper L
    5-Franco R /Kingery R
    7-Williams L /Herrera S
    8-Quin L /Herrera S
    2-Alfaro R
    1-Nola

I think they need to cut bait on Franco.  I want to like the guy (he was very nice to my nephew one time at the park) but he kinda sucks. 
    I'm sure Odubel and him will be dangled in some trades in the coming weeks...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

4-Hernandez S /Kingery R
    6-Segura R
    3-Rhys R
    9-Harper L
    5-Franco R /Kingery R
    7-Williams L /Herrera S
    8-Quin L /Herrera S
    2-Alfaro R
    1-Nola

You should get more for Herrera than Franco but that's not saying much. Franco/Herrera/Hernandez - you should be trading all of these guys. They're stunting Kingery by playing him in this super-utility role. Just put him at 2nd and call it a day. Out of the three pf those I'm fine with keeping Franco so that Harper is the priority instead of Machado.

Quinn should be your leadoff man no matter what. Of course, the guy has to be able to stay on the goddamn field.

This is the team I hope they can field in my dream world:

1. Quinn - CF
    2. Segura - SS
    3. Hoskins - 1B
    4. Harper - RF
    5. Franco (or go get Moustakas or someone like Marwin Gonzalez) - 3B
    6. Williams/Platoon - LF
    7. Alfaro - C
    8. Kingery - 2B

Bench:
    C-/Knapp/Free agent/?
    OF - Free agent/Platoon guy/Austin Jackson maybe?
    Utility - ? He'd play everyday somehow but I'd still like if they went after Whit Merrifield
    INF - ? Defense-first guy

SP - Nola
    SP - Corbin
    SP - Arrieta
    SP - Eflin 
    SP - Pivetta

RP - Miller (LHP)
    RP - Davis/Morgan (LHP)
    RP - Velasquez 
    RP - Nicaso/Pazo (hopefully one of these guys payoff as a lottery ticket)
    RP - Neris
    RP - Neshek 
    RP - Hunter (boo)
    RP - Dominguez
  • Options
    Moustakas would make all sorts of sense if they don't get no-hustle-Manny.
  • Options

4-Hernandez S /Kingery R
    6-Segura R
    3-Rhys R
    9-Harper L
    5-Franco R /Kingery R
    7-Williams L /Herrera S
    8-Quin L /Herrera S
    2-Alfaro R
    1-Nola

You should get more for Herrera than Franco but that's not saying much. Franco/Herrera/Hernandez - you should be trading all of these guys. They're stunting Kingery by playing him in this super-utility role. Just put him at 2nd and call it a day. Out of the three pf those I'm fine with keeping Franco so that Harper is the priority instead of Machado.

Quinn should be your leadoff man no matter what. Of course, the guy has to be able to stay on the goddamn field.

This is the team I hope they can field in my dream world:

1. Quinn - CF
    2. Segura - SS
    3. Hoskins - 1B
    4. Harper - RF
    5. Franco (or go get Moustakas or someone like Marwin Gonzalez) - 3B
    6. Williams/Platoon - LF
    7. Alfaro - C
    8. Kingery - 2B

Bench:
    C-/Knapp/Free agent/?
    OF - Free agent/Platoon guy/Austin Jackson maybe?
    Utility - ? He'd play everyday somehow but I'd still like if they went after Whit Merrifield
    INF - ? Defense-first guy

SP - Nola
    SP - Corbin
    SP - Arrieta
    SP - Eflin 
    SP - Pivetta

RP - Miller (LHP)
    RP - Davis/Morgan (LHP)
    RP - Velasquez 
    RP - Nicaso/Pazo (hopefully one of these guys payoff as a lottery ticket)
    RP - Neris
    RP - Neshek 
    RP - Hunter (boo)
    RP - Dominguez
    Would you go 6 years for Corbin? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I go 6 for Corbin. He's also getting 6 years and I am sure getting 6 year offers from all three teams.  He's young'ish. He doesn't have a ton of innings on his arm.  He already had TJ (feel like this is a positive now). He is not a fastball pitcher so velocity is not the biggest issue if it declines.

Downsides are that he isn't terribly established, played in a crap division, is a one pitch pitcher, throws out of the zone.

But he is by far the best pitcher on the open market.
  • Options
    I think it's funny how Tommy John surgeries have evolved into being good things for pitchers moving forward now
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think it's funny how Tommy John surgeries have evolved into being good things for pitchers moving forward now
    Definitely. The list of people who had 1 is huge. The list of people who have 2 is muuuuuch smaller, so you aren't as likely to lose another year or more. 
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I'd go 6 for the reasons stated above.

What's even crazier is how TJ surgery is seen as a good thing when you're 13. Not just 13, but it's used as a preemptive surgery instead of because of an injury. Nuts.
  • Options
    I'd go 6 for the reasons stated above.

What's even crazier is how TJ surgery is seen as a good thing when you're 13. Not just 13, but it's used as a preemptive surgery instead of because of an injury. Nuts.
    Well yeah, that is some sick stuff.  Youth sports are insane.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Yeah I'm gonna push my brother in law to get TJ for my godson soon. He's 3. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Nightengale says Phils telling Corbin they will not be outbid...

chinese-happy.jpg