Options

Is Ed's voice cracking a ton on the new boots??

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
just wondering if you think his voice is cracking more this tour than normal? Every boot I seem to hear him wincing as he sings some songs......

I am talking 13 year old puberty screeching.....is his voice shot?

Curious what you think after listening. Not talking live at show you'll never hear it, on y the new boots

Comments

• Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    I agree. Not all songs give a problem for him.
    Some songs that do even seem to get a little extra charm, but
    Release for instance does get a litlle bit rough. Although it still works.
    Oceans however could better be taken of the playinglist. Eddie just can't pull it off any more.
    But in the case of Oceans that isn't just on this tour.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Sadly agree... Not that it's terrible I still love it but it's noticeable.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    vedderfan02vedderfan02 Posts: 186
    nah! For a guy who's nearly 50 I'm extremely impressed compared to others who have lost their voices totally
    2003: Nashville, Lexington, St.Louis
    2004: St. Louis
    2006: Cincinnati
    2008: Columbia, VA Beach
    2009: Chicago x2, Atlanta (EV) x2
    2010: St. Louis, Noblesville
    2011: St.Louis (EV), Alpine Valley x2
    2012: Pensacola, Atlanta, Memphis (EV)
    2013: Chicago, OKC
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Lexington, chicago x2
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    hrd2imgn said:

just wondering if you think his voice is cracking more this tour than normal? Every boot I seem to hear him wincing as he sings some songs......

I am talking 13 year old puberty screeching.....is his voice shot?

Curious what you think after listening. Not talking live at show you'll never hear it, on y the new boots

I think Ed's Voice sounds better then it has done in say the Last *Five* Years...I mean on the 2009 Tour and a couple of Years after He seriously sounded like He was "Losing" His Voice :-S
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited March 2014
    I think Ed's voice sounds great. Only song I would say he pulls back on and is really noticeable is, "Jeremy." It doesn't sound bad, but it's the only one that really seems to be the one he pulls back on. It's become more of a crowd sing along anyway.

Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I think he sounds a helluva lot better than he did during the Backspacer tour.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    mfc2006 said:

I agree. I can't listen to the 2009 to 2012 bootlegs. 2013 sounds great and has renewed my enjoyment of bootlegs again.
  • Options

mfc2006 said:

I agree. I can't listen to the 2009 to 2012 bootlegs. 2013 sounds great and has renewed my enjoyment of bootlegs again.
    This
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    I think he sounds great. I noticed a lot of cracking in his voice in 2006...I think it's gotten better, I think he stopped smoking.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think I must be in luck having just bought the good bootlegs from 2009 to 2012 because on the boots that I have Eddie sounds better than he does on the whole of the 2013 tour. The ones where it did happen are bad nights I feel. And in 2013 it is noticable every bootleg. On some nights more than others, but it's their the whole time on mutiple songs.

@ Vedderfan02 you are right off corse he isn't in his 30's any more, compared with some other singers his voice holds up better.
    Still I can't help but compare him to his youngerself because he was just so good, but that isn't always fair.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    I thought he sounded better than usual at Wrigley, but I admit I haven't listened to the 2013 boots yet. I will say he looked himself in Philly but was obviously battling a cold or allergies in Baltimore, blowing his nose into a towel between songs. (Didn't see anyone screaming for him to throw them the towel, BTW.) Could that be part of the issue? Did he have a cold during Northeast leg?
    "I'm not the paper, I'm more like the fold ..."
  • Options
    AC54430AC54430 Posts: 22
    edited March 2014
    We must accept that our beloved band is aging. I consider noticing the cracks a sign of appreciating the music. I'll consider it part of the show and just smile and sing along.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    I didn't notice any problems in 2009 or 2010 or 2012, in fact I thought he was sounding fucking amazing.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    AC54430 said:

We must accept that our beloved band is aging. I consider noticing the cracks a sign of appreciating the music. I'll consider it part of the show and just smile and sing along.

Yip.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

I didn't notice any problems in 2009 or 2010 or 2012, in fact I thought he was sounding fucking amazing.

Glade to see I'm not alone in this.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635

I thought he sounded better than usual at Wrigley, but I admit I haven't listened to the 2013 boots yet. I will say he looked himself in Philly but was obviously battling a cold or allergies in Baltimore, blowing his nose into a towel between songs. (Didn't see anyone screaming for him to throw them the towel, BTW.) Could that be part of the issue? Did he have a cold during Northeast leg?

LOL at your towel comment! He did have a cold the first leg of the tour. Also this was a long tour, with 25 shows averaging 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

I'm listening to some boots from the 90s and it's amazing he hadn't totally shredded his vocal chords by now.

I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    His voice has changed several times over the years. Sometimes it takes him a tour or two to figure out how to "use" his new voice. I think on this latest tour he figured out how to appropriately use his new voice, compared to 2008-2012. I'm not saying anything bad about those tours as I saw some amazing shows, but it is what it is.

Kind of like how in 96 he figured out how to use his 95 tour "I can't scream anymore, and my voice is shot, but I'll try" voice. And then he became a great "singer" in 98-00. Then I thought his voice sounded a little tired in 2002/2003 (sometimes, not all the time), but then he figured out how to use that voice in 2004-2006.

Now he seems to, for some reason, do this stop-start thing with some words...like he adds a syllable to words for whatever reason. I found it a little distracting at first...as in "Release me-heeeeeee" or "I could control my-hiiiii-self", but now he seems to have controlled it and it's less noticeable.

the man is essentially 50. He will never sound like he did at 28. The band just finished a tour in which a short show was 2 1/2 hours and 29 songs. That's ridiculous. I love these guys as much as ever.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    i think its because he cut his hair:)...naw but there are some cracks but it still is great night in night out.
  • Options
    timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    the main thing I have noticed is more non-standard pronunciation of individual lyrics... maybe more harmonic but when vocals are so clear at the front of a mix i notice it more. i had crazy mary from hartford on in earphones last night and there was definitely some odd proounciation going on there...
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    It reminds me of a bald eagle's screech of freedom!!!!!!!!!!
    http://youtu.be/IdFxnbZtu1I
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    BinFrog said:

His voice has changed several times over the years. Sometimes it takes him a tour or two to figure out how to "use" his new voice. I think on this latest tour he figured out how to appropriately use his new voice, compared to 2008-2012. I'm not saying anything bad about those tours as I saw some amazing shows, but it is what it is.

Kind of like how in 96 he figured out how to use his 95 tour "I can't scream anymore, and my voice is shot, but I'll try" voice. And then he became a great "singer" in 98-00. Then I thought his voice sounded a little tired in 2002/2003 (sometimes, not all the time), but then he figured out how to use that voice in 2004-2006.

Now he seems to, for some reason, do this stop-start thing with some words...like he adds a syllable to words for whatever reason. I found it a little distracting at first...as in "Release me-heeeeeee" or "I could control my-hiiiii-self", but now he seems to have controlled it and it's less noticeable.

the man is essentially 50. He will never sound like he did at 28. The band just finished a tour in which a short show was 2 1/2 hours and 29 songs. That's ridiculous. I love these guys as much as ever.

Good Synopsis and you are *SPOT* on with the adding Syllables to Words part couldn't of said it better myself... although in 2003 I don't think He Sounded Tired at all in Fact I really like the way He sang the Songs from that Tour...but His Voice in 2013 Sounds a lot Better then it did say 2009-2012 :)
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    i_lov_it said:

I think Ed's Voice sounds better then it has done in say the Last *Five* Years...I mean on the 2009 Tour and a couple of Years after He seriously sounded like He was "Losing" His Voice :-S

ABsolutely! From 2007 on, it was pretty bad. 2013 is the first time it has sounded better than the last five years... Hardly any breathy singing in the middle of words, which had become the norm for years and years ("but they don't wa-have", "I wah-has bitten" etc). It's not like 98-2003 quality, but it sure is better than it was for A LONG TIME. I think he really did cut down on smoking, maybe that wasn't just a joke in Rolling Stone.

ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    i_lov_it said:

BinFrog said:

Good Synopsis and you are *SPOT* on with the adding Syllables to Words part couldn't of said it better myself... although in 2003 I don't think He Sounded Tired at all in Fact I really like the way He sang the Songs from that Tour...but His Voice in 2013 Sounds a lot Better then it did say 2009-2012 :)
    Another nailed it.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    BinFrog said:

This is why I love the forum. Though I don't spend a lot of time thinking this deeply about issues like many of you, I'm so glad you all do. When I read this post, I started thinking back on some of the boots I have and all of this rings true to me. 2013 was my first multiple-show tour and it brought a whole new level of amazement for me to see these guys rockin true to form each night, never disappointing. And the last part of the post, short show 2 1/2 hours...daaaaamn! Seriously. I'm thoroughly pleased with the 2013 boots I have as far as the band and ed's voice are concerned!
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    PJinIL said:

This is why I love the forum. Though I don't spend a lot of time thinking this deeply about issues like many of you, I'm so glad you all do. When I read this post, I started thinking back on some of the boots I have and all of this rings true to me. 2013 was my first multiple-show tour and it brought a whole new level of amazement for me to see these guys rockin true to form each night, never disappointing. And the last part of the post, short show 2 1/2 hours...daaaaamn! Seriously. I'm thoroughly pleased with the 2013 boots I have as far as the band and ed's voice are concerned!

Some of us probably spend a bit too much time pondering the intricacies of Pearl Jam's music and career :)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    He sounded like that during the Philly shows imo.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I think I read somewhere they have used a different sound set up the last couple years. Maybe it has taken some time to get used to singing a different way. Maybe it's me, but I remember the band being much louder fifteen years ago seeing them live. I remember reading a few of them have hearing problems. All of these things could play into it I guess. They are still the best sounding band of fifty year olds I have ever heard. Temper your expectations people and be grateful they still tour!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    edited March 2014
    It cracked a couple times at the beginning of the Vancouver show, especially during Breakerfall, and at that point I saw Ed hold his throat and mouth the words, "My voice is gone" and he shook his head with a bit of frustration. But then he smoothed right out shortly after that song. Maybe he took something or drank something soothing. I'm pretty sure he was sick during part of the tour.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    edited March 2014

I thought he sounded better than usual at Wrigley too, and in Missoula, where he was actually quite sick. The reason? They weren't on tour, so his voice wasn't being over used when those two shows happened. Definitely some cracks in the 2013 tour, but he was also busting some shit out super well. A singer who does such long shows can't have a voice in top condition all the time. There is a reason most concerts are so much shorter - the artists can't maintain their voices if they do shows that long. I say Eddie is a champ.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    PJ_Soul said:

I say Eddie is a champ.

I agree. :)
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden