Options

Is Ed's voice cracking a ton on the new boots??

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

PJ_Soul said:

I say Eddie is a champ.

I agree. :)
    yup.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,440
    maybe it's the wine
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,440
    He still sounds great
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385

It reminds me of a bald eagle's screech of freedom!!!!!!!!!!
    http://youtu.be/IdFxnbZtu1I

Ha. Maybe he'll get the Colbert bump.

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    He's had his up and downs over the last 10 or so years (tour wise). I agree, some songs are pretty rough these days but I think '13 sounded better than many years of late.
    Ed solo sounds fantastic! I do think they'll get to the point where many songs aren't or are rarely played. If they stay together for years to come, I can also see them slowing down.
    I also think WHY they play their classic songs so fast now is that the tempo covers up a lot of the vocals. Slowed down, Ed's voice is more of the focal point.
  • Options
    parintachin73parintachin73 Posts: 731
    edited March 2014
    mca47 said:

He's had his up and downs over the last 10 or so years (tour wise). I agree, some songs are pretty rough these days but I think '13 sounded better than many years of late.
    Ed solo sounds fantastic! I do think they'll get to the point where many songs aren't or are rarely played. If they stay together for years to come, I can also see them slowing down.
    I also think WHY they play their classic songs so fast now is that the tempo covers up a lot of the vocals. Slowed down, Ed's voice is more of the focal point.

While there are some excellent points in some earlier posts, this one hits the mark for me. I think Ed's voice has been taking a noticeable hit from 2008-now. Part of it being age, part the wear n tear of these songs, and part due to smoking. However that being said, he KILLS IT solo (full control and no competing with a loud band). And I really just think they occasional "crackage" is the price we're going to pay to hear some of the songs we love from now on.
    Post edited by parintachin73 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,106
    edited March 2014
    2009 was the roughest (Given to Fly on the vancouver boot is really bad).

2010 (Boston!) and then Europe in 2012 was alot better.

Only listened to Philadelphia 2013, but yeah - its a bit more harsch than earlier years. Animal is one example of this (even though I was at the show and it was rocking!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8FmwT8EMk
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Eddie's voice was perfection at the two Australian solo shows I went to last month.

He is a champ. :D
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    Only listened to CVille so far, and I thought he sounded a lot better. Watched a few of the South American shows on youtube from earlier in 2013, and I thought he really struggled.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Smoking vs. Not smoking
    Period
    Mostly phenomenal performances until after LA 2..
    Then his vocals are a wreck
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 are amazing
    So is Hartford IMO
    New Orleans is another that people overlook
    That show is stellar and a festival no less
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Charlottsvile is great too !
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    edited March 2014
    mca47 said:

I think that's why they need to slow down. He doesn't have a chance to breath, so all the power is coming from his vocal cords. I'm not a pro singer, but it's much easier to sing when you can breath properly, and more damaging when you don't.

Of course he's gonna age, but some other singers from the early 90s have hung on pretty good compared to EV. I will say he's done a pretty good job if rolling with the changes through the years, he just makes a lot more strained faces these days.
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    DewieCox said:

mca47 said:

I think that's why they need to slow down. He doesn't have a chance to breath, so all the power is coming from his vocal cords. I'm not a pro singer, but it's much easier to sing when you can breath properly, and more damaging when you don't.

Of course he's gonna age, but some other singers from the early 90s have hung on pretty good compared to EV. I will say he's done a pretty good job if rolling with the changes through the years, he just makes a lot more strained faces these days.
    I think you both are right.
    Especially the point Eddie being able to breath properly is spot one.
    I think this is the reason why he can't get Mind your manners to really work.

Not sure though if it is the reason why he can't hit the high notes.
    That's probable just age, smoking and the wine.
    Although like others said he did seem to be sick during the tour.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

You can't help age, but the other two are preventable ESPECIALLY the smoking. No human being who makes their living singing should smoke EVER much less regularly or in the solo of Even Flow. :) Keep doing it, you won't be able to sing at all at some point.

I think Ed actually LIKES when he makes his voice crack sometimes. Like on All Night on Fallon a couple years ago. Think he feels like it's the punk rock thing to not make your voice sound good. I don't get it.

ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629

DewieCox said:

mca47 said:

He totally killed Mind Your Manners in Vancouver. Worked perfectly.

Also heard him hit plenty of high notes.
    I think his main issue is doing such long shows. If they didn't do that, then his voice would be in consistently better shape (although honestly, what are we talking about here? I heard his voice crack maybe three times in 3 1/2 hours).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,106
    Mind your manners was roughroughrough in Philadelphia. Would ove to hear the one from Vancouver if it "worked perfectly"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Mind your manners was roughroughrough in Philadelphia. Would ove to hear the one from Vancouver if it "worked perfectly"

I think it just took them almost the whole tour to straighten it out maybe! But yeah, it sounded great in Van. For me it was actually one of the show highlights.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I feel it's unrealistic to expect his voice to sound the same as it did when he was 20 years younger. That's like expecting someone to look the same as they did when they were 20 years younger.
    No one does!

People change over time because they are encased in bodies that age.

Ed uses the voice he has now very well. Let's be happy he's still out there sharing it with us since we (his fans) love his voice so much!!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah he totally sounds good. I actually don't give a fuck if his voice cracks once in the while. It doesn't reduce my personal enjoyment of the shows one tiny little bit!
  • Options
    Cornell credits his revived vocals to quitting smoking. I can almost guarentee that is the major factor in whether Ed has a good night or not. The age and # of shows theory gets blown away with performances like the second leg of 2008 tour and Wrigley . Have you heard Wrigley ?????
    Holy god !
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    locked said:

Cornell credits his revived vocals to quitting smoking. I can almost guarentee that is the major factor in whether Ed has a good night or not. The age and # of shows theory gets blown away with performances like the second leg of 2008 tour and Wrigley . Have you heard Wrigley ?????
    Holy god !

Yeah, his age has nothing to do with cracking (deepening maybe). But # of shows is only relevant when considering how long their show are, which is relevant to ALL singers (and is why most of them don't do long shows). Wrigley sounded amazing because they weren't doing a tour. They'd done one other show a few nights before, and then Wrigley. That's it. Whole other story when they are on tour, doing shows every other night, and all of them are over 3 hours long. With concerts that long, any singer's voice would be cracking a bit (and a lot of singers would actually lose their voices all together! Non-smokers included!). I'm amazing Eddie sounds as good as he does when on tour given how long he busts it out each night.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869

I think Ed's Voice sounds better then it has done in say the Last *Five* Years...I mean on the 2009 Tour and a couple of Years after He seriously sounded like He was "Losing" His Voice :-S

yes I agree he does sound better

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited March 2014
    BinFrog said:

His voice has changed several times over the years. Sometimes it takes him a tour or two to figure out how to "use" his new voice. I think on this latest tour he figured out how to appropriately use his new voice, compared to 2008-2012. I'm not saying anything bad about those tours as I saw some amazing shows, but it is what it is.

Kind of like how in 96 he figured out how to use his 95 tour "I can't scream anymore, and my voice is shot, but I'll try" voice. And then he became a great "singer" in 98-00. Then I thought his voice sounded a little tired in 2002/2003 (sometimes, not all the time), but then he figured out how to use that voice in 2004-2006.

Now he seems to, for some reason, do this stop-start thing with some words...like he adds a syllable to words for whatever reason. I found it a little distracting at first...as in "Release me-heeeeeee" or "I could control my-hiiiii-self", but now he seems to have controlled it and it's less noticeable.

the man is essentially 50. He will never sound like he did at 28. The band just finished a tour in which a short show was 2 1/2 hours and 29 songs. That's ridiculous. I love these guys as much as ever.

yes his double syllable words for single syllable words! Notice that a lot

Class = Clah- has

this thread was in no way a complaint I love his stuff on LB, just noticed it in the newer boots, wondering if I was juh-ust imagining it or it has been happening a lot more than I thought
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options

You can't help age, but the other two are preventable ESPECIALLY the smoking. No human being who makes their living singing should smoke EVER much less regularly or in the solo of Even Flow. :) Keep doing it, you won't be able to sing at all at some point.

I think Ed actually LIKES when he makes his voice crack sometimes. Like on All Night on Fallon a couple years ago. Think he feels like it's the punk rock thing to not make your voice sound good. I don't get it.

About him liking his voice crack. I've read a post by you before, where you mentioned this.
    You made me laugh because I though you may well be right. You thought it might appeal to his punk rock fancy.
    I had an image where you caught him off guard and said busted.
    Sorry for the weird way my mind sometimes works, but the point is I think you have a point.

On the other hand I don't think he should stop drinking and smoking just to please us, so we may enjoy his voice a little longer.
    If it would take that I reckon it would kill the fun for him and that would have a worse result than a squiky voice.
    On yet another hand :D ,he said that being a musician was not a slacker job so who knows perhaps he'll take your advice and stop.

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

locked said:

Holy god !

Yeah, his age has nothing to do with cracking (deepening maybe). B
    The older he gets the longer he has smoked. ;):D

But you are probable right. I noticed it myself, my voice and breath don't benifite from smoking. X_X

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah he totally sounds good. I actually don't give a fuck if his voice cracks once in the while. It doesn't reduce my personal enjoyment of the shows one tiny little bit!

Wholeheartedly agree!

"A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Not of the show, I probable won't even notice.
    But of the song on bootleg? I'm always looking for an even better version of this or that song, so a cracking voice doesn't help me in that regard. However I still enjoy the 2013 boots. And some songs from the 2013 tour do fit the bill of best I have.

Nothing as it seems Spokane scores pretty high.
    Immortality Hartford is a gem.
    Can't keep Vancouver is amazing.

And there are quite a few more

2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

About him liking his voice crack. I've read a post by you before, where you mentioned this.
    You made me laugh because I though you may well be right. You thought it might appeal to his punk rock fancy.
    I had an image where you caught him off guard and said busted.
    Sorry for the weird way my mind sometimes works, but the point is I think you have a point.

On the other hand I don't think he should stop drinking and smoking just to please us, so we may enjoy his voice a little longer.
    If it would take that I reckon it would kill the fun for him and that would have a worse result than a squiky voice.
    On yet another hand :D ,he said that being a musician was not a slacker job so who knows perhaps he'll take your advice and stop.
    Well, thanks. :)

See this is the problem--when people say "he can do whatever he wants, don't quit smoking just cause we like the way he sings so well." There will come a time when he CAN'T sing so well, and I don't really have an interest in seeing shitty musicians play (as a musician myself). Sure, he can do what he wants, but WHY would he NOT want to keep his vocals up, when he makes his money and his entire life revolves around his singing? I know he can never sing another day in his life and be set for life financially... but does Ed like touring the world, doing what he loves, singing for an audience who loves him, MORE than smoking cigarettes? If he does, then he should quit. If smoking is more important, then I guess keep smoking because eventually his talents will disappear. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact of what smoking does to vocalists.

I have been very critical of his vocals the last few years, and I really DO think his vocals have IMPROVED this past tour. I haven't heard every bootleg or any of the bootlegs after LA like people are talking about, but I was at Wrigley and songs that I "knew" what his recent vocal patterns were like (even Release, Nothingman, etc) it was almost like, wow, is he LIP SYNCING, it sounds so different! (even though I knew he was NOT lip syncing, it was just that good). Phoenix was also good and youtube stuff I've seen, just a big improvement over past years. Keep it up Ed.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702

DewieCox said:

mca47 said:

BREATHE not breath. Thank you. :)
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    It's hit or miss but I'm cool with it. There are a few spots here and there that are cringe-worthy. A good example is Oceans in Brooklyn. Wow...have you heard that? It's unlistenable. And MYM has always been terrible live. They play it too fast and Ed seems to think that screeching thing he does at the end is somehow necessary but I wish he'd give that up.

However, I'm a singer and if I tried what he did I'd probably blow my voice out after one song. Forget an entire show or tour. After 4 shows in a row in '06 I had to go to the doctor because my vocal chords were bleeding and I couldn't make a sound (not even a whisper). I was just a fan singing along...Dude is a monster.