Options

###~~Dusseldorf Fanviews 21-6-07~~###

Comments

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    edit: wrong thread...lol
  • Options
    GizmoGizmo Posts: 38
    I was also one of the lucky ones to have tickets to this amazing show! I posted my pictures and a little report on my website: http://www.blackpearlphotography.be/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=8794&g2_navId=x5fa422ca
    (Arnhem 29/08/2006 - Antwerp 30/08/2006 - Antwerp 31/08/2006 - Dusseldorf 2007 - Werchter 2007 - Berlin 2009)
    - If you're not confused, you're not really paying attention to what's going on -
    - Still so many answers I don't know, realise that to question is how we grow -
  • Options
    MargoMargo Posts: 256
    I looovvee those pics. Esp the one where Eddie clinches his fists in front of his face!
    Amsterdam 1996, Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Dusseldorf 2007, Rotterdam 2009
    London 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Nijmegen 2010, Manchester I & II 2012, Amsterdam I 2012, Stockholm 2012, EV Amsterdam I 2012
  • Options
    GizmoGizmo Posts: 38
    Thx!
    (Arnhem 29/08/2006 - Antwerp 30/08/2006 - Antwerp 31/08/2006 - Dusseldorf 2007 - Werchter 2007 - Berlin 2009)
    - If you're not confused, you're not really paying attention to what's going on -
    - Still so many answers I don't know, realise that to question is how we grow -
  • Options
    NoClaudeNoClaude Posts: 2
    Hi all!

I'm new here... yeah, like I need one more internet addiction, he he.. I've been looking for the right place to introduce myself but couldn't find one.... so here I am: 32, female, Italian, living in Germany, fan since 1993, and newly acquired 10C member.

What a GREAT show in Düsseldorf last week, I'm so glad I got tickets! I was in Verona last year, the setting was nicer and the crowd warmer there (in the back rows at least, that's where I was), but the setlist in Düsseldorf was just amazing. Sometimes as an opener, GREEEAT, and I'm open aaaah *sigh*. I was somewhat disappointed in Verona as no single song from No Code was played, and for several reasons that's an album I feel very attached to. Aaaaah and I almost had a fit when I heard the State of Love and Trust intro (I also realized it's been 10 years since I last heard it live - I used to be able to hop like a kangaroo AND sing myself hoarse throughout the song... well, not any more, *pant*! ;)). The organization was pretty shitty though, as everybody said before me... during the concert Eddie complained that when they came out at 4pm nobody was there, he said "it looked like SHIT!" he he, that must have been frustrating, although probably even more so for all the people stuck outside!

Aaah I can't wait for the next album and the next tour! I feel I'm getting as passionate about this band as I used to be in my late teens/early twenties... and that's a really good feeling :D

See you!
  • Options
    Kimbl0rKimbl0r Posts: 2
    it was my first pearl jam concert and it was awesome, still speechless when i think of the concert..
    21.06.07 - Düsseldorf
    23.06.07 - Southside Festival
    15.08.09 - Berlin

definitly more to come! :)
  • Options
    Gizmo wrote:
    I was also one of the lucky ones to have tickets to this amazing show! I posted my pictures and a little report on my website: http://www.blackpearlphotography.be/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=8794&g2_navId=x5fa422ca

Awesome pics man. thanks! Don't you have more? :)
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Another newbie here!

Fan (better supporter) since the good old "Ten"-Days. But that was my first concert. And man do I regret not having seen them earlier! What a show. Listened to a lot of bootlegs, but being there was not comparable to anything else.

But since this was my first concert I have a question:
    - What leaflet-collection did Eddie take on stage during the encores (at least that's where I first saw it)?
    - Just after the "Rats" request he received a page from the crowd (with lyrics?)

Anyways, thinking of joining the Ten Club now (will they return to Germany in 2008? Where's the Bootleg?
  • Options
    ´Peter´Peter Posts: 5
    I don't think they'll be back that soon, since Ed thanked everyone for coming at the Hurricane, "I don't know when we'll be back...".

didn't see it mentioned in this thread: before Breath "there are some things, even you people in the first two, three rows probably don't know... you know who the drummer was, who recorded this song with us before any other drummers? Matt Cameron." :)
  • Options
    PJKnopfPJKnopf Posts: 51
    ´Peter wrote:
    I don't think they'll be back that soon, since Ed thanked everyone for coming at the Hurricane, "I don't know when we'll be back...".

didn't see it mentioned in this thread: before Breath "there are some things, even you people in the first two, three rows probably don't know... you know who the drummer was, who recorded this song with us before any other drummers? Matt Cameron." :)

...I don't wanna sound like a whippersnapper but that story is fundamental part of PJ history so I bet that everyone in the first three rows knew it :-)
    I was back in row 6 and knew it, too :-))

Unfortunately I think you're right, it will take some years until they come back to Europe :-(

Rock im Park 2000 - Arnhem 2006 - Duesseldorf 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Amsterdam 2012 - Amsterdam 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Amsterdam 2017 (EV Solo) - Amsterdam 2018 - Berlin 2018 - Amsterdam 2019 (EV Solo) - Duesseldorf 2019 (EV Solo) - Berlin 2022 - Frankfurt 2022 - Amsterdam 2022
  • Options
    Gizmo wrote:

Your pics are awsome :D Thanks for sharing them.
    This was my first PJ gig and not the last one that's for sure. I enjoyed every second. Since I had my friend's 17 year old daughter with me I had seats on the upper circle. Unfortunately the accoustic was that bad that sometimes I had trouble to recognize which song they've played :( But the energy was overwhelming.
  • Options
    wulffeldwulffeld Posts: 31
    Gizmo wrote:

Great pics! Thanks!
    Martin http://www.setlisting.com/ Your concert history in one place.
  • Options
    BennoBenno Posts: 3
    I had 2 reasons to love the show, the fact that I got engaged to my girlfriend just before the show and second, seeing the band in a new environment. I love travelling to see them as it makes the experience so much more intense. It always amazes me how many other fans have the same feeling though. It was great sitting in a small Irish bar in Dusseldorf before the gig with a number of PJ fans, so much so that the bar put on Ten!
    A week after the show, always emotional but now with special memories of gett
  • Options
    Benno wrote:
    I had 2 reasons to love the show, the fact that I got engaged to my girlfriend just before the show and second, seeing the band in a new environment. I love travelling to see them as it makes the experience so much more intense. It always amazes me how many other fans have the same feeling though. It was great sitting in a small Irish bar in Dusseldorf before the gig with a number of PJ fans, so much so that the bar put on Ten!

Congratulations.
    The story about the irish pub is really nice. Sounds like a perfect day in your life!

Greetings Snake_
  • Options
    joyodongojoyodongo Posts: 36
    Facts about the concert:

- Incredible queues before the concert. I guessed people waited for hours just to enter. We "only" waited about 1 hour.
    - We were standing but not in the ten-club area, and my impression was that people were a little cold with the concert.
    - At the end we could enter the ten-club area and it was much better: the location, the space, the atmosphere...
    - I didn´t see PJ specially motivated in the concert.
    - I didn´t like too much the setlist, despite having begun with "Sometimes".
    - The best thing: the idea of separating the first standing area for the ten-club members.
    - For me, it was the worst of the 5 concerts I´ve seen this year (don't kill me, even enjoying I use to be critic).
    Dublin 23/8/06 - Vitoria 2/9/06 - Madrid 7/9/06
    Lisbon 8/6/07 - Madrid 9/6/07 - London 18/6/07 - Düsseldorf 21/6/07 - Copenhagen 26/6/07
    New York 24/6/08 - New York 25/6/08
    Rotterdam 13/8/09 - Berlin 15/8/09 - Manchester 17/8/09 - London 18/8/09 - Seattle 21/9/09 - Seattle 22/9/09
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    joyodongo wrote:
    Facts about the concert:

- Incredible queues before the concert. I guessed people waited for hours just to enter. We "only" waited about 1 hour.
    - We were standing but not in the ten-club area, and my impression was that people were a little cold with the concert.
    - At the end we could enter the ten-club area and it was much better: the location, the space, the atmosphere...
    - I didn´t see PJ specially motivated in the concert.
    - I didn´t like too much the setlist, despite having begun with "Sometimes".
    - The best thing: the idea of separating the first standing area for the ten-club members.
    - For me, it was the worst of the 5 concerts I´ve seen this year (don't kill me, even enjoying I use to be critic).

Do you really speak about the Düsselsorf gig ????
    You didn't enjoy the setlist ??? You can't be a fan !!! Sorry, they played SOLAT, breath, motherfucking sometimes as opener!!! They weren't motivated?? I think you wasn't, man !! Sorry I normally respect other opinions but this is bullshit
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Options
    luxpjamer wrote:
    Do you really speak about the Düsselsorf gig ????
    You didn't enjoy the setlist ??? You can't be a fan !!! Sorry, they played SOLAT, breath, motherfucking sometimes as opener!!! They weren't motivated?? I think you wasn't, man !! Sorry I normally respect other opinions but this is bullshit

... I think that the setlist is something very personal... so, please, don't call my opinions bullshit just because I don't like the same songs as you do (by the way, I think I said it was great to hear Sometimes at the beginning, and, yes, hearing SOLAT was one of the best things of the concert).
    And, yes, I've seen them more involved in other concerts, I'm very sorry...
    Lisbon 8/6/07 - Madrid 9/6/07 - London 18/6/07 - Düsseldorf 21/6/07 - Copenhagen 26/6/07
    Rotterdam 13/8/09 - Berlin 15/8/09 - Manchester 17/8/09 - London 18/8/09 - Seattle 21/9/09 - Seattle 22/9/09
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I don't know what show you were at ...

The band was ON FIRE and they were really in to the show.

What was not to like about the setlist? Were you looking for a greatest hits show?

there are strange people out here !

:D
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I don't know what show you were at ...

The band was ON FIRE and they were really in to the show.

What was not to like about the setlist? Were you looking for a greatest hits show?

I'm again very sorry but, I prefer to hear BetterMan than, for example, Whipping. Is that a sin?
    And as I can never hear All those Yesterdays, Smile, NothingMan, I also prefer to hear RVM than I'm Open. Is that a sin?
    It seems that you are not a real fan if you like the greatest hits in concert...

I see you were in Wembley. Do you think the band was as involved in Düss as in London?
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    joyodongo wrote:
    I'm again very sorry but, I prefer to hear BetterMan than, for example, Whipping. Is that a sin?
    And as I can never hear All those Yesterdays, Smile, NothingMan, I also prefer to hear RVM than I'm Open. Is that a sin?
    It seems that you are not a real fan if you like the greatest hits in concert...

I see you were in Wembley. Do you think the band was as involved in Düss as in London?

that makes no sense what you are writing! Whipping isn't a great hit as much I know and the song is amazing while playing live. Have you read the other replies? There are a lot of peoples who were in London and they liked Düsseldorf much more!!! Weren't you happy to see Breath or State of love and trust?
  • Options
    luxpjamer wrote:
    that makes no sense what you are writing! Whipping isn't a great hit as much I know and the song is amazing while playing live. Have you read the other replies? There are a lot of peoples who were in London and they liked Düsseldorf much more!!! Weren't you happy to see Breath or State of love and trust?

Please, what are we talking about? should I like more the Düss concert just because some, or many, or all the other people did?

I said I loved hearing SOLAT, but not so much Whipping or Breath, I'm sorry.

And, YES!!!, I prefer to hear/sing/jump BetterMan or RVM once again. I'm a sinner, I'm a sinner, I don't deserve belonging to the 10c anymore!!!
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    joyodongo wrote:
    Please, what are we talking about? should I like more the Düss concert just because some, or many, or all the other people did?
    Of course you are entitled to your own opinion but then you shouldn't start your post with a phrase like "facts about the concert".
    Facts are:
    -the front of stage section wasn't exclusive for the 10c members.
    -The band were on fire. Fine, you think you saw them more motivated at other shows but that doesn't mean they weren't motivated. I definitaly haven't seen them that much into a show anywhere else.
    -The setlist had a much wider range then those setlists from Madrid and Lisbon (which you obviously liked more)
    -The band did things they haven't done at any other concert of the tour: Bringing a fan onstage and ask him to sing a song or playing a song spontaniously because Ed saw a sign requesting it.

Awesome show.Nuff said.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Ben.WBen.W Posts: 17
    Benno wrote:

Was it O'Reillys? We went there the following morning - in the baking sunshine.
    Speaking as a child of the 90s..
  • Options
    Dercheef wrote:
    Of course you are entitled to your own opinion but then you shouldn't start your post with a phrase like "facts about the concert".
    Facts are:
    -the front of stage section wasn't exclusive for the 10c members.
    -The band were on fire. Fine, you think you saw them more motivated at other shows but that doesn't mean they weren't motivated. I definitaly haven't seen them that much into a show anywhere else.
    -The setlist had a much wider range then those setlists from Madrid and Lisbon (which you obviously liked more)
    -The band did things they haven't done at any other concert of the tour: Bringing a fan onstage and ask him to sing a song or playing a song spontaniously because Ed saw a sign requesting it.

Awesome show.Nuff said.

Yes, I must have been in a diferent show...
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    joyodongo wrote:

No, that's not the point. But if 99per cent of the people who were there said it was a great show, for a lot of them the best show ever, and than you say that you didn't like it there's something wrong.
    You said that the band wasn't very motivated but that's not true at all, I think they were very surprised to have such a good crowd. Do you remember seeing vedder that emotional, he was almost crying, do you remember them asking a fan coming on stage to sing a song or responding to request.
    joyodongo wrote:
    I said I loved hearing SOLAT, but not so much Whipping or Breath, I'm sorry.

You don't have to be sorry but for me it was a special moment when they played this two songs, especially Breath, because they don't play it often and I love these songs. For me (and surelly a lot) it was a magical moment
    joyodongo wrote:
    And, YES!!!, I prefer to hear/sing/jump BetterMan or RVM once again. I'm a sinner, I'm a sinner, I don't deserve belonging to the 10c anymore!!!

No, you aren't a sinner, maybe a little more different ;) but I can't blame you for your opinion and your musical taste. I said I think it's bullshit because I absolutely can't relate to these words.
  • Options
    GhurtiGhurti Posts: 2
    what a discussion!
    No complaint about the setlist or the bands motivation - it was an incredible night to well I think 10999 people
    To me it's hard to imagine a better concert than the d-dorf one.... well perhaps Pearl Jam live in Seattle could make it on top. :-)
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Ok, I know this is a long shot, but I went to this concert (see posts before) and could not buy a poster. Was able to get my hands on a spare poster for Nijmegen though....is anyone interested in swapping their Dusseldorf poster for a Nijmegen one...?!!

Thanks!
    Francisca.

p.s. Went to three concerts this tour and Dusseldorf was the best music and atmosphere wise!!! ...though I had much more interaction with the guys at Nijmegen and Werchter.
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    luxpjamer wrote:
    No, that's not the point. But if 99per cent of the people who were there said it was a great show, for a lot of them the best show ever, and than you say that you didn't like it there's something wrong.
    You said that the band wasn't very motivated but that's not true at all, I think they were very surprised to have such a good crowd. Do you remember seeing vedder that emotional, he was almost crying, do you remember them asking a fan coming on stage to sing a song or responding to request.

You don't have to be sorry but for me it was a special moment when they played this two songs, especially Breath, because they don't play it often and I love these songs. For me (and surelly a lot) it was a magical moment

No, you aren't a sinner, maybe a little more different ;) but I can't blame you for your opinion and your musical taste. I said I think it's bullshit because I absolutely can't relate to these words.

Well, I don't know what to think...
    Sometimes I think that aspecial personal mood can influence the perception of what you get from your senses. I don' think I was in bad mood anyway... At the beginning I was standing on the left side quite far from the stage. I must recognize that I need 'volume' to really gat into the show and there I didn't get a lot of sound; that's why I went to the front rows at the end. There I was happier but, nothing compared with Madrid last year of Wembley 3 days before. When I was behind, several times I looked at the people seating: they were standing, but not moving not jumping nor singing at all. Not very enthusiastic. In Madrid last year I was quite far from the stage and everyone in the arena was crazy with the show... I say this with all the respect to the german people, who have all my sympathy and affection since many years ago... And as I wrote before, I saw nothing very special in the band. I didn't see the guy from the audience singing with Eddie nor didn't I have any idea about the 'Rats' playing. This is objetively, as you said, a clear sympthom of the band's attitude. OK, unfortunately for me, I didn't percieve that...
    I'm looking forward to listen to any bootleg (if possible), or, anyway, spend a good hour at youtube trying to see what I missed.

Anyway there are 2 general issues about this forum I would like to post here:

- I ver rarely read any criticism in the post (maybe... 5% being generous?) Almost all the posts are: "What a f*cking great show", "Unbelievable", "The best gig...". It's quite boring sometimes, really. PJ are human, I think they don't deserve a 10, or even a 9... always.
    I love this band since I discovered them in '96 with 'No Code', and I never thought I would be now, with 42 years, wife and 2 babies, following them around Europe (with the wife and 2 babies), but I try to distinguish the good and the 'not so good' things in the records, concerts... Maybe I'm too demanding, I don't know... And I love this band MUCH MORE than any other but I think that, for example, R.E.M. (and, please, don't crucify me again) can be more brilliant on stage thanks to Michael Stipe (I'm thinking, for example, on Gijon, May 2005)

- The second thing is about the setlists. As I wrote before, it seems that only the 'alternative setlists' are the good ones. It's lik if you say 'Alive was great', you are a newcomer and not a real connesseur.
    For me it's very simple: I have my favourite songs: some are 'hits' (BetterMan, RVM, Evolution), and some are not, or no so much (All those Yesterdays, Smile, Light Years, Save You). So, as a concert is such a special thing (some of us will see them life if lucky 10-15 times in our lives), joder, I want to hear my favourite songs and feel touched by the feeling you get when you listen to this songs live. And I personally prefer to feel in heaven every time I see PJ listening BetterMan, than being the lucky one who listened 'I'm open'.

Saludos.
    Bilbao 9/7/10
  • Options
    MirellaMirella Posts: 242
    I think it's all very personal. I'm glad I had such a great time in Düsseldorf and you were just out of luck this time. Hard to catch or explain why. Let's hope hearing it again will refresh the good parts, because there must have been some for you too...
    Oh, and about the songs: I liked not hearing Even Flow for a change, and no matter what song, if it's a good version it's a good version. Better Man in Nijmegen and Alive in London were amongst the highlights for me this tour. And I *LOVED* Porch.

groetjes,
    Mirella :)
    Bugs mailinglist site: http://www.igotbugs.net/wiki
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    what to say,. what to say?

seriously...i suck at recapping such experiences, but holy fuck! what a show! i really am reticient for choosing 'favorites'...but in all honesty, of the 3 shows i saw this time around...dusseldorf was head and shoulders above the rest! great setlist, band was on FIRE....crowd was on FIRE! nuff said! total brilliance, and why i continue to travel to see this band!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow