Options

HBO: True Detective

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    I think a woman who is fucking a married guy that is a complete crazy/fucking mess....and is crazy enough to bring this news to his family (especially since the unhinged guy in question is a cop) is a nutty lady.

Sweet Lisa pissed me off when she went to his wife since the family has nothing to do with her personal issues sleeping with Woody and Woody being a total ahole/borderline abusive dickhead to her. That obviously is a subjective call on my part -- I dont see how upsetting his wife and daughters to get revenge on him for being an asshole makes things better.
    One of those '2 wrongs dont make a right' arguments.

The show is better for having had her a part of it and I look forward to seeing more of her in other work. :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250

IDK, that girl is smokin' hott..I woulda told my wife and kids to hit the road.

This!!!!! image
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    JK_Livin said:

IDK, that girl is smokin' hott..I woulda told my wife and kids to hit the road.

She needs a spinoff, "True Detective's Ex-girlfirend Gets Nude A Lot"
    I'd tune in for that

:D
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    Marathoned the first four episodes last night and am really enjoying the show - especially Cohle and his nihilistic worldview. Seeing Shea Whigham from Boardwalk Empire as the preacher in episode 3 was a nice surprise since I'm a BE fan too.

Also found these brief descriptions of the next few episodes (which give a few hints on where the series is going):

Feb 16, 2014: Hart and Cohle share the spoils of a solved case; Papania and Gilbough confront the detectives with troubling new intelligence.
    Feb 23, 2014: Maggie sheds light on Cohle's activities in 2002, when his relationship with Hart fractured and he quit the force.
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Marathoned the first four episodes last night and am really enjoying the show - especially Cohle and his nihilistic worldview. Seeing Shea Whigham from Boardwalk Empire as the preacher in episode 3 was a nice surprise since I'm a BE fan too.

Also found these brief descriptions of the next few episodes (which give a few hints on where the series is going):

Feb 16, 2014: Hart and Cohle share the spoils of a solved case; Papania and Gilbough confront the detectives with troubling new intelligence.
    Feb 23, 2014: Maggie sheds light on Cohle's activities in 2002, when his relationship with Hart fractured and he quit the force.

Goerge Reemus from BE is the guy mowing the lawn at the school or church. He may have a bigger role after all.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Goerge Reemus from BE is the guy mowing the lawn at the school or church. He may have a bigger role after all.
    Reemus doesn't like mowing lawns
  • Options
    FYI, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is giving away a free download of their cover of Johnny Cash's "Gods Gonna Cut You Down" on their website. It was used in one of the True Detective Trailers
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    tonight...it continues.

Looking forward to it
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Shit's getting real now .
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    A little twist I wasn't expecting but then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting. It's nice to see that the interviewers have a pulse.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    JK_Livin said:

A little twist I wasn't expecting but then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting. It's nice to see that the interviewers have a pulse.

another fantastic episode. Even though I think they are leading you into believe Cohle is involved I have to believe there will be a twist that he is not.

and I have to think that somehow Hart's daughters are going to play a role in this story. too many little things sexually with them throughout the episodes for something not to play out regarding the murders. I think it has to be more than just background story.

gotta think the Cohle-Hart altercation that they showed in the upcoming episodes has to do with Chole and Hart's wife, especially when they showed hart's wife being interviewed as well.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i knew they were interrogating that sick fuck.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Yellow King?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    That chick at the end of next week's preview freaked me out. "The man with the scars, he made me watch"
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options

Who?

Clues def seem to be pointing towards the Governor and Lawnmower man.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

and I have to think that somehow Hart's daughters are going to play a role in this story. too many little things sexually with them throughout the episodes for something not to play out regarding the murders. I think it has to be more than just background story.

Yeah, drawing gang bang illustrations in 1995, and in 2002 having a threesome with 2 kids in a car. Something is going on there.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Who?

Clues def seem to be pointing towards the Governor and Lawnmower man.
    What episode did they interview the lawnmower man? I want to watch it again
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    I think it is too obvious for Cohle to be a suspect...from my perspective. I can clearly see why the current cops would think that but I'm thinking that Cohle is doing off the grid investigating. Someone else is def involved.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Finally caught up on this show, so good. Here are some interesting articals on the mythology behind some of the cult/killings on the show I found on another site

thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2014/02/16/3292391/true-detective-carcosa/

io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    Watched the latest episode last night, really liked it. I love that I cannot say what is going to happen next and am interested in almost every character.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Finally caught up on this show, so good. Here are some interesting articals on the mythology behind some of the cult/killings on the show I found on another site

thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2014/02/16/3292391/true-detective-carcosa/

io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

Good reading. Thanks for sharing.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    i keep falling asleep during the 2nd episode. gotta stop watching it at 11:30 or so.

luckily each time i've attempted, i've managed to stay up through the scene with woody's girlfriend and the handcuffs......she is pretty easy on the eyes, eh? wow
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mca47 said:

I think it is too obvious for Cohle to be a suspect...from my perspective. I can clearly see why the current cops would think that but I'm thinking that Cohle is doing off the grid investigating. Someone else is def involved.

Agreed it would be too obvious and a few things from the last episode seemed to back that up in regards to him being the alleged killer

Cohle asked Ledoux "Why the antlers" which Ledoux smirked, why would Cohle ask that to him if he was in fact the killer?

When Francis was being interviewed by Cohle he said he met the Yellow King once so Cohle obviously can't be the Yellow King

Now the one thing I cant figure out is why does Ledoux have a tattoo that looks like MM on his chest?

• Options

mca47 said:

Agreed it would be too obvious and a few things from the last episode seemed to back that up in regards to him being the alleged killer

Cohle asked Ledoux "Why the antlers" which Ledoux smirked, why would Cohle ask that to him if he was in fact the killer?

When Francis was being interviewed by Cohle he said he met the Yellow King once so Cohle obviously can't be the Yellow King

Now the one thing I cant figure out is why does Ledoux have a tattoo that looks like MM on his chest?

We need a full 360 degree torso shot of this guy to see all the tats
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options

mca47 said:

Good points. Unless Cohle picked up where Ledoux left off....which I also don't think is the case.
    My guess thus far...
    Cohle is not involved other than doing his own investigation in an unofficial manner. Like before he didn't want to "give up" the case so he's doing it himself on his own terms.
    If someone "higher up" is involved, I wonder at this point who could it possibly be? For the simple fact that we haven't really seen any "higher ups" other than the governor and police captain guy. I'm thinking the governor might be involved somehow. He seemed like a religious nut, he approved the task force to take over the case, the gov and Cohle already weren't on good terms...that said, I'm not sure what connection he would have with Ledoux if any.
    hahahaha....who f'n knows! Probably why this show is so damn good....you just don't know what's going to happen next!!
  • Options
    mca47 said:

mca47 said:

Good points. Unless Cohle picked up where Ledoux left off....which I also don't think is the case.
    My guess thus far...
    Cohle is not involved other than doing his own investigation in an unofficial manner. Like before he didn't want to "give up" the case so he's doing it himself on his own terms.
    If someone "higher up" is involved, I wonder at this point who could it possibly be? For the simple fact that we haven't really seen any "higher ups" other than the governor and police captain guy. I'm thinking the governor might be involved somehow. He seemed like a religious nut, he approved the task force to take over the case, the gov and Cohle already weren't on good terms...that said, I'm not sure what connection he would have with Ledoux if any.
    hahahaha....who f'n knows! Probably why this show is so damn good....you just don't know what's going to happen next!!
    I wonder is he really doing it by himself or is Marty still working the case with him, maybe their whole "fight" in 2002 was a ruse

Also during his interview Marty said

"Remember what I said about the detectives curse the solution to my whole life was right under my nose that woman those kids i was watching everything else. Infidelity is one kind of sin but my true failure was inattention, I understand that now"

This indicates to me that someone directly in his life is involved in these crimes either his wife or his father in law but than again like you said who the fuck knows
  • Options

I wonder is he really doing it by himself or is Marty still working the case with him, maybe their whole "fight" in 2002 was a ruse

Also during his interview Marty said

"Remember what I said about the detectives curse the solution to my whole life was right under my nose that woman those kids i was watching everything else. Infidelity is one kind of sin but my true failure was inattention, I understand that now"

This indicates to me that someone directly in his life is involved in these crimes either his wife or his father in law but than again like you said who the fuck knows

That's a good point. I don't see how Marty is not involved in this still....or at least maybe up to this point. Perhaps he'll meet up with Cohle to see what he's been doing, tell him he's being questioned, then Cohle dumps all this new info on him and they work the case again unofficially.
    I'm really curious to see what that altercation was between them. Part of me thinks it has to do with Marty's family (wife) but that also seems too obvious. Maybe Cohle was banging his slutty daughter! image
    At this point, I'm guessing their "altercation" was a ruse.
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    I think Marty's wife went to that school. The original yearbook pic that Dr. Delight posted is no longer showing up, but she looked like the girl who then got photoshopped (in the 2nd picture that is still showing up).

Something is not right, obviously, with Hart's family. Wife's parents seem like control freaks, perhaps making wife go to the wild side.

Said it before, how is this going to all wrap up in just 3? more episodes?

I love trying to figure these things out, but I really have no idea what's going on! :))
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    I watched it again last night with my wife because she fell asleep on Sunday. Did anyone notice the final shot of Cohle in the school. They are showing him through a hole in the wall like he is part of one of those sculptures while there's a forrest on the wall. I wanted to know if anyone else noticed. I can't find it online anywhere to post it.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    jlaustin said:

I think Marty's wife went to that school. The original yearbook pic that Dr. Delight posted is no longer showing up, but she looked like the girl who then got photoshopped (in the 2nd picture that is still showing up).

Something is not right, obviously, with Hart's family. Wife's parents seem like control freaks, perhaps making wife go to the wild side.

Said it before, how is this going to all wrap up in just 3? more episodes?

I love trying to figure these things out, but I really have no idea what's going on! :))

I think there is definitely going to be a connection with Hart's family.

going to be interesting to see how they wrap all of this up in 3 episodes