Options

124»

Comments

• Options
    cp3iverson wrote: »
    Sirens = best song since Sleight of Hand
    Wow, that thought never crossed my mind.
    I reckon that has more to do with me not liking Sirens than it says anything about Sleight of hand for me. So many songs in between en still Sirens tops the bill for you.
    It's great that people can disagree and find different stuff they like in this band.
    I'll join you in saying Sleight of hand is a great song. :D

As to why I don't like Sirens?
    I feel it is really cheesy. I must say the live version works beter for me, but eventhough it did some damage controle, it still can't erase the feeling of ..... well, .... actually discust that I felt when hearing the song for the first time. I gave it a third and a forthed listen and could help but being amazed in a negative way. After being blown away by Mind your manners, it was a major let down to hear Sirens. It is way too smooth in the way it is recorded and the guitarwork doesn't do much for me either. Mike's solo is way under par for me.The way Eddie had to jam the word overwhelmed into to different lines annoys me every time I hear it. And although the melody line it self is pretty, I feel it is too much so. It doesn't get compensated with any sharp edges. It is just too poppy for my taste, especially since the rest of the song is the same way as is the subject matter.
    I like Pearl Jam to have a little bit more teeth. Sirens sounds like they left their teeth in a glass on the nightstand and they now need to soak their biscuit in their tea in order for them to be able to eat it.

I never had a bathroom break song before, and it certainly isn't, nore will it ever be Even flow, but Sirens has given me to chance to take a leak or a drink at the last three shows. And that in itself is a good thing, so on second thought Hail, hail to Sirens.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    know1 wrote: »
    Sirens is just OK for me. I skip it when it comes on a lot. But I really like Yellow Moon.
    I'm right there with you.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    The version of Sirens on the Cincinnati boot is BAD...
    couldn't believe how rough it was when I heard it the first time!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    vladsplatvladsplat Posts: 116
    Yellow Moon is easily one of my favorite new songs!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Yellow Moon is a decent song. Not a fan of Sirens at all....it has become my new piss break song.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Yellow Moon needs to be back in the rotation whenever they get back on the road.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    It amazes me how every time they play Sirens they manage to fuck up a part. Usually Ed.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited January 2015
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think the power ballad thing comes from the massive guitar crescendo that starts at about 3:45 and then tapers down in a way very similar to that song that plays during Rocky's big training montage in the snow in Rocky 4. A then there is the fact that there are honest to god "soaring vocals" in it. Not just powerful vocals. Actually soaring. And then the piano that is slightly reminiscent of November Rain. Put it all together, and it's Power Ballad 101. <br />
    It's a catchy song musically. But it's got a pretty huge cheeze factor for sure. I love the message of the song.... but I still feel like it's kind of a confused song overall. And it is definitely a power ballad, which is just kind of weird to hear coming from PJ.
    BnkRQJD.gif
    This is what I'm thinking too. There was a time where I thought Infallible sounds a bit like a Christina Aguilera song too 4JbsVbo.gifYuWmXXq.gif That does not mean I hate these songs. They are catchy, that's for sure. I would not put on Sirens or Just Breathe as a single song to listen to. It is not one of my fave songs, but when it is played live, I croon along with the masses too haha

I love Yellow Moon and Pendulum, these two still stand out for me from LB because they kind of remind me of Songs like Sleight of Hand. Overall, I will give LB some good spins to test the acoustics of our new house by the end of this week. It's been a while since we played it.

• Options
    retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    the opening vocals for Sirens hurts my ears sometimes......
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    edited January 2015
    derbydave wrote: »
    The version of Sirens on the Cincinnati boot is BAD...
    couldn't believe how rough it was when I heard it the first time!!
    Half of the arena went on a bathroom/concession run. I don't like Sirens, but the band seems to be really proud of it. I felt bad for them that THAT many people were shuffling about. It was just... sad.

In St. Paul, they played it without the "Hear the si-ruuunnns" at the beginning. It made the entire song sound a little better to me. Maybe if they just hadn't recorded that cheesy-ass part at the intro, it wouldn't ring as such a bad tune to me. Well, that and "let me catch my breath to breathe" is one of the dumbest, most redundant lines ever.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    I love both songs from LB. I was quite moved the first time I heard Sirens. And Yellow Moon is one of the songs off that album I listen to the most. I think the bridge is beautiful, and strong. I love the imagery it conjures. I loved hearing it live. I think the band are real and honest, and if a "cheesy" song is what they felt like writing at the time, then they've done it. Room for all sorts of songs and I do love that they transcend genres now. The only criticism I have from LB songs is they play Mind Your Manners a little too fast, live. As if they're rushing through it. It's got great punky drumming esp towards the end but it feels too rushed live.

How lucky are we to have such a fab variety of songs going all the way back to the beginning!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    SALLYROO wrote: »
    How lucky are we to have such a fab variety of songs going all the way back to the beginning!

Yep.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    I like Sirens and I love Yellow Moon. It's all personal taste I guess but overall I think LB is a fucking fantastic record! It's refreshing, cohesive, and takes just enough risks to make me love it. Pendulum has become my favorite song they've done in quite some time. Lighting Bolt is a monster song, especially live. Sirens and YM fit perfectly on the record IMO.
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    buck502000 wrote: »
    Yellow moon should open shows.........

it should, YM is a huge song that gets no love. live it's even better
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    Love Yellow Moon... in top three from LB for me
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Sirens sounds like Ed fronting Matchbox 20
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Both great songs in my book. Hope I hear them both in future days.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Agree with PJ_Soul on the soaring vocals thing, but the part I like least is the awkward phrasing. Not just "over...whelmed" but also "always loved you, held you high above, true" (gaack). To me, that rhyme smacks of a teenager writing a sappy poem to their crush. I'll take most of the other songs on the album over Sirens.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 267
    Yellow Moon is a beautiful song... The middle part is outstanding -- in fact, in a Year where both my parents passed it brings a lump to my throat....

While not exactly the same scenario, I completely agree.
  • Options
    Good thing art is subjective...

But while we are at it, put me on the record for thinking:
    -Picasso should have used more circles
    -Beethoven's drummer always played the songs too fast live
    -Van Gogh's worked better with 2 ears than 1

And I want to be the first to start the OFFICIAL PETITION that PJ should play THE GORGE and post the set list yesterday.

Sorry that last one was a joke. I get the idea of debate, but how you feel about a song should not matter to anyone other than you.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Good thing art is subjective...

But while we are at it, put me on the record for thinking:
    -Picasso should have used more circles
    -Beethoven's drummer always played the songs too fast live
    -Van Gogh's worked better with 2 ears than 1

And I want to be the first to start the OFFICIAL PETITION that PJ should play THE GORGE and post the set list yesterday.

Sorry that last one was a joke. I get the idea of debate, but how you feel about a song should not matter to anyone other than you.

Sure, but people have been thinking about and talking about art since people first started making art. You can enjoy it completely on your own, but you may also enjoy it more or expand your thinking if you hear another's thoughts.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Sirens is amazing, Yellow Moon is quite zzz
  • Options

Sure, but people have been thinking about and talking about art since people first started making art. You can enjoy it completely on your own, but you may also enjoy it more or expand your thinking if you hear another's thoughts.

No disagreement there. I was speaking more to the detractors. Don't really think they were trying to expand anyone's thinking in a positive way. But I'm not one to censor anyone's thoughts, positive or negative.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    Sirens and YM are great. SBM and LTRP are the filler that could have been left off the album.
    IMO of course.
  • Options
    TJ25487 wrote: »
    Sirens and YM are great. SBM and LTRP are the filler that could have been left off the album.
    IMO of course.

I agree with this statement. SBM and LTRP are the only songs on the album I do not connect with. In fact, both songs live were not memorable either.
    Yellow Moon was magical. Sirens is another staple live. I have never noticed anyone rushing to the can during this song in the 6 shows they have played it. The sing-a-long added at the end is usually loud. Would I rather hear Hard to Imagine? Of course! But I always think about what Wayne Gretzky's dad said to him as a young NHL star.
    "Wayne, no matter what game it is, someone in that crowd is seeing you for the first time. You owe it to them to put on a great performance."
    Some new fan is in the crowd, and LOVES Sirens because they heard it on pop radio. The need to hear that song.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited February 2015
    Some new fan is in the crowd, and LOVES Sirens because they heard it on pop radio. The need to hear that song.
    Yeah, I feel the same about RIVAL!

Rival needs to be undusted and played again! And Fatal, I'd love to hear Fatal live one day...

And while it was not perfect live, I love LTRP :D It is indeed very interesting how different all the songs are perceived. Good thing we don't all have to agree, there is something for everyone!

• Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Can't believe how people can criticise art, especially deeply personal songs. Sirens is a great song and many people can relate to it, yes it may appeal to other people, but musics not about elitism , it's about touching the ordinary man and woman. My uncle who's not a fan and not really aware of any of the 90's scene , was so moved to tears my the song at mums funeral, he bought the album lightning bolt straight away, he didn't see the the video or hear the song on the radio, it's about connecting. Yellow moon is saved by sirens ?! I say music saves people full stop.
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    I like yellow moon way more than sirens!!!!!

I was ruined on sirens when certain people said " it's the next black" or "compared to black" I like sirens, but I don't ever listen to it anymore on my iPod...

Prefer yellow moon anyday!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....