Options

PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
edited December 2015 in The Porch
Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on

Comments

• Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    sirens is unwelcome because it was talked up to the be the next "black" and one of the most epic tracks since adam was a boy. then we heard it and were let down because it sounds so bloody corny, lame and reminiscent of a bon jovi B side ballad. ed's "hear the sireeeeeens" is lame. mike's 80s solo is lame. matt's november rain drums are lame. it's just such an underwhelming track that i really can't see how people rave about it. maybe because it gets in your head all day like katy perry and you get convinced that it's a good track.

yellow moon however is pretty good. it and pendulum will be (ie have been) the only songs that stand the test of time on my rotation.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    you can see how wellcome is live..the singalong....enough said..
    oh and have a few million views at youtube..when the same time other pj songs are 10 years at youtube and have half views
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    and yellow moon is amazing song!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited January 2014
    Sirens is my fav PJ tune since Sleight of Hand. Nothing wrong with writing a pop song if it's a good song.

I like when PJ takes chances and does something different. Taking chances doesnt have to mean loops and weird stuff. Sirens is refreshing.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343

I truly wonder why Sirens is so unwelcome from the fans.

Yellow Moon is not receiving a great response from the fans either.

Both are such tremendously talented artwork (besides the double eyed poster) that these songs need to played.

That's the thing about artwork, not everyone agrees. Some might think Yellow Moon is a piece of shit, and that is their subjective opinion. You can disagree, but you can't say it's wrong.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Yellow moon should open shows.........
  • Options
    fruuppfruupp Posts: 88
    I love Sirens & do not care if everyone knows,great song live as well.
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    Yellow Moon is a beautiful song... The middle part is outstanding -- in fact, in a Year where both my parents passed it brings a lump to my throat....
  • Options

I truly wonder why Sirens is so unwelcome from the fans.

Yellow Moon is not receiving a great response from the fans either.

Both are such tremendously talented artwork (besides the double eyed poster) that these songs need to played.

I completely agree: both are tremendously talented artwork and Yellow moon, I just thought so yesterday, has become one of my everlasting faves... finally my song to celebrate the moon - uhh another thanks has to be spoken out.

and about Sirens: well, it has personal reasons why I can't relate to it that much ... I kinda miss this sort of feeling those days... but it is a masterpiece, that's for sure.
    so I wonder too, why it is rejected by fans, here and then...

Opinions???
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    Love both songs.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    It's probably rejected because it was released as a single and received lots of airplay. This typically happens to fan bases when "their" band releases something that gets into pop radio play. For whatever reason a new song that can cross over and reach a different fan base is looked down upon by the "real" fans. It's the too cool for school mentality. Then what happens is the "real" fans will gravitate to another song that is somewhat similar on the album. I think that's the case for Yellow Moon. Another mid tempo acoustic ballad of sorts. I've seen this kind of pattern happen many many times with bands and their fans. Or some may just not care for the song. I thought Sirens was okay when released, first few times I heard it on the tour it didn't really do anything for me. But after Voodoo, with Steve coming out to introduce the band and then using it as the opener, it really did something to me and I love the song now.
  • Options

It's probably rejected because it was released as a single and received lots of airplay. This typically happens to fan bases when "their" band releases something that gets into pop radio play. For whatever reason a new song that can cross over and reach a different fan base is looked down upon by the "real" fans. It's the too cool for school mentality. Then what happens is the "real" fans will gravitate to another song that is somewhat similar on the album. I think that's the case for Yellow Moon. Another mid tempo acoustic ballad of sorts. I've seen this kind of pattern happen many many times with bands and their fans. . ......

I really like this comment/ - a perfect explanation - thanks :)
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I think the keepers from this album are:

Infallible
    Yellow Moon
    Getaway
    Swallowed Whole
    Pendulum
    My Fathers Son
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506

oh and have a few million views at youtube..when the same time other pj songs are 10 years at youtube and have half views

The song is a momentum killer at shows and Youtube hasn't even existed for 10 years.

9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    edited January 2014
    sirens = music to appeal to the masses. rustle up them new customers, yeeeha!

yellow moon is okay
    Post edited by shortstack on
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    Bant said:

The song is a momentum killer at shows and Youtube hasn't even existed for 10 years.

5 years??is it ok?..
    lets do that again
    oh and have a few million views at youtube..when the same time other pj songs are 5 years at youtube and have 10 times less views
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    Everyone has different tastes. No big deal. But I agree, someone somewhere decided to say Sirens was the next Black. I remember when BS came out, someone on the board said Amongst The Waves was the next Alive. I think of that every time I hear it. I wish people would stop comparing new songs to old songs, especially before we hear them, because these people are almost always way off, and it does lead to further disappointment I fear. With that said, Yellow Moon is one of my fav tracks on the record.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613

sirens = music to appeal to the masses. rustle up them new customers, yeeeha!

yellow moon is okay

Does Sirens appeal to the masses? I'm just asking. I literally listen to nothing but Pearl Jam Radio and sports talk 98% of the time. So I am seriously asking, has Sirens been successful? Is it being played on the radio? Pop stations? Rock Stations? Adult Contemporary?
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    RiotAct10 said:

Is it being played on the radio? Pop stations? Rock Stations? Adult Contemporary?

Yes, Yes and yes.

I hear it (at work) every day, on Pop station, right in between Rhianna and Passenger, and on the Adult Alternative, in between Matchbox 20 and The Clash.

cheers
  • Options
    BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506

Bant said:

5 years??is it ok?..
    lets do that again
    oh and have a few million views at youtube..when the same time other pj songs are 5 years at youtube and have 10 times less views
    Do what again? What songs are you talking about? Regardless of which songs your referring, when they were released they were not promoted or new material.

Jeremy on PJvevo: 18.5 million - posted 4 years ago
    Even Flow on PJvevo: 17.2 million - posted 4 years ago
    Alive on PJvevo: 12.6 million - posted 4 years ago

Sirens on PJvevo: 46,000 - posted 2 months ago
    Sirens on official PJ youtube: 6.9 million - posted 3 months ago

Anyway, Sirens doesn't exactly have 10 times the views as other PJ songs.
    9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    I think Sirens is a good song, but it ain't no Black that's for sure...
  • Options
    Bant said:

Bant said:

5 years??is it ok?..
    lets do that again
    Do what again? What songs are you talking about? Regardless of which songs your referring, when they were released they were not promoted or new material.

Jeremy on PJvevo: 18.5 million - posted 4 years ago
    Even Flow on PJvevo: 17.2 million - posted 4 years ago
    Alive on PJvevo: 12.6 million - posted 4 years ago

Sirens on PJvevo: 46,000 - posted 2 months ago
    Sirens on official PJ youtube: 6.9 million - posted 3 months ago

Anyway, Sirens doesn't exactly have 10 times the views as other PJ songs.
    it woukld be easy to talk to someone idiot or who dont be around pj alot
    do u know any other pj song has 7 millinon vieww is 3 months??are u kidding me>?
    dont like sirens is one thing,that so many pj fans or music fans dig to it,is another.
  • Options

I think Sirens is a good song, but it ain't no Black that's for sure...

nothing was,is or ever will be like Black..
    the one wrote that about Sirens ,needs a doctor and exams in the head
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    It's not cool to like Sirens just like its uncool to say Ten is their best record.

Good music is good music.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I like them both...a lot.

and guess what....I also don't mind Sleeping By Myself! SHOCKER!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,700

Yellow moon should open shows.........

Yellow Moon is one of my favourite songs from LB, would make a great opener (do it in Leeds). Would rather heat it than Pendulum, still cannot get the big deal with that song.

Kearnsy
  • Options
    moldarmoldar Posts: 8
    Sirens is a great song, as is Yellow Moon. My fav from the new album is definitely Future Days.
  • Options
    Most definitely, both tracks were "GROWERS" for me...Initially I was underwhelmed by both when I heard the studio versions. However, after hearing the Hartford 2013 bootleg versions, I've come around, eating humble pie, feel like a disrespectful hater and currently tipping my hat to the genius of pearl jam.
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Yellow Moon, I loved from the start. Sirens had to grow on me, but I do like it now.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    The mellower songs don't seem to be terribly popular with the forum folks. See Just Breathe as another example.