Options

Pearl Jam are playing in New Zealand THIS week!!

doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
edited January 2014 in The Porch
People always forget about us! Yes they are actually going to a whole 'nother country with its own government, currency, culture, language, etc before going to Australia!

Hurray!

Anyway. Kiwis? What are your hopes and dreams? What do you think the setlist will be like? It's probably going to be a little more.. hitty? I guess? Given that it's a big music festival and the other headliners are nothing like PJ so the crowd could be harder to win over than they usually are.

Personally I hope they throw us a bone to acknowledge that within the crowd will be many fans who desperately want to hear songs we see being rocked and rolled over in America or in Europe.

I'd love to hear Little Wing. And Crown of Thorns. The latter especially - we know Mother Love Bone too!

And as for the band's own songs - I'm really hoping this time around I'll get to hear my first favourite PJ song - Rearview Mirror. And Sad. And Smile.

IT IS NEXT WEEK!!!

!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by doompony on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Hurray from me too!! for joy smiley photo: joy smiley smiley3.gif

I'd say we'll get a mostly festival type set with one, maybe 2 rarer songs thrown in for the 'real fans'. I too would LOVE CoT!! I'd say we'll most definitely get Mind Your Manners & Lightning Bolt, probably Sirens, probably Porch. I'd say kind of a good chance for RVM & yeah, Sad &/or Smile'd be great too! If Liam's in town & at the show, good chance of Habit.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Hmmmm... where is Liam these days? I saw Neil retweet their family Xmas photo but I got the impression they weren't in NZ at the time.
  • Options
    Hmmm, dunno at all. I know they did that Finn get together gig thing at maybe the Powerstation last week or sometime. That's all I know.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    oh yeah true.. i heard about that.

oh well.

PEARL JAAAAAAAAAM!

hey, next thursday i'll be driving up to auck, not sure what time we'll get there or if my friend is gonna wanna come to father teds (5 month's pregnant). is there easy parking nearby? she cant' drive so if she doesn't wanna come she won't be able to drop me off and pick me up.
  • Options
    there's heaps of paid parking around Father Ted's, not cheap though. Cheapest option'd be to park car in Ponsonby(or near where you're staying) & catch a bus into you town.
    <hr>
  • Options
    cheaper than a taxi though which wins. i paid $24 last week to park in town and go see a movie. That made me sigh angrily. I guess it won't be much more than that in Auckland?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    it's about that. that was my mistake once a few years ago, I went to a movie, parked in a parking building, flicked over to the next half hour of parking & it cost me $25 & I thought no way! never again! nah, park in ponsonby or mt Eden & bus in. pm me where you're staying & I'll write you a customised public transport plan, ;) or yeah, a cab from somewhere like that isn't expensive.
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
  • Options
    surrey! i'm useless at public transportation in general. in auckland i'm fairly certain i'd end up on the north shore.

i dont mind paying for parking though. in the greater scheme of things, one night of expensive parking isn't too bad.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oh my GOD all this flurry of posting and updates has me almost humming with excitement. like a fluorescent light.
  • Options
    Haha.

When you say "Surrey" you mean surrey crescent or is it come kind of surrey hotel? If it's surrey crescent that'll be a $30ish cab I expect so yeah for one or 2 nights, oh & that's $30 from town, from Western Springs it'll be cheap as! Good on you. :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    nah it's that hotel.. which is on.. great north road, grey lynn.

now i know that can't be too far away from anywhere.. surely.. i vaguely recall going to a party at someone's house in grey lynn once and it being fairly straight forward.

then again i also remember ending up in grey lynn while actually TRYING to get to the north shore. so what the hell would i know?

did i tell you about the time we took a taxi from our hotel on newton rd to the powerstation? ha. yeah. fucking crooks.
  • Options
    cwar077cwar077 Posts: 72
    I can't wait, so excited for this. I reckon we will get a decent balance of hits and album cuts. Hoping to hear present tense, rvm, getaway and anything from binaural. Anyone gonna be waiting on the rail?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    "took a taxi from our hotel on newton rd to the powerstation" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :)) :))

Anyway, Surrey Hotel on Great North Rd in Grey Lynn will be a $10, maybe $15 if traffic's shite, taxi from Western Springs n & maybe $20-25 from town. There are however many, many, many buses that will take you from town to Great North Rd for $3ish!!! Up to you! ;)

<hr>
  • Options
    i'll go with the flow of what other people around are doing. don't really think it'll necessarily be a case of being up front all day. that's a big ask.

never been to western springs before. hope the stage set up is better than it was at mt smart.

i've never heard anything from riot act. i hope we get save you.

also, first metservice forecast is..

Friday
    17 Jan
    Partly cloudy
    22°C High
    15°C Overnight

Partly cloudy with southwesterlies

Metservice routinely get things totally wrong in Wellington, even on the day.. so i won't put too much stock in that, but still.

STILL!
  • Options
    morello said:

"took a taxi from our hotel on newton rd to the powerstation" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ;)

Anyway, Surrey Hotel on Great North Rd in Grey Lynn will be a $10, maybe $15 if traffic's shite, taxi from Western Springs n & maybe $25-25 from town. There are however many, many, many buses that will take you from town to Great North Rd for $3ish!!! Up to you! ;)

I know. I was so pissed because the taxi driver actually took us about 3 blocks the wrong way first to create the illusion than we were going somewhere. it wasn't until we got out and paid that i nudged my flatmate and said "look.. there's the street our hotel is on!"

i made a complaint but they never responsed. oh well. at least we learned. the next time i went to a powerstation gig and stayed at the same place i was all wise about it.

• Options
    doom_pony said:

morello said:

"took a taxi from our hotel on newton rd to the powerstation" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ;)

Anyway, Surrey Hotel on Great North Rd in Grey Lynn will be a $10, maybe $15 if traffic's shite, taxi from Western Springs n & maybe $25-25 from town. There are however many, many, many buses that will take you from town to Great North Rd for $3ish!!! Up to you! ;)

I know. I was so pissed because the taxi driver actually took us about 3 blocks the wrong way first to create the illusion than we were going somewhere. it wasn't until we got out and paid that i nudged my flatmate and said "look.. there's the street our hotel is on!"

i made a complaint but they never responsed. oh well. at least we learned. the next time i went to a powerstation gig and stayed at the same place i was all wise about it.

:)
    <hr>
  • Options
    i'll probably just bite the bullet and take a taxi to father ted's. less stressful.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Honestly, it's a very easy bus ride. Catch any bus on Great North Rd with 'Downtown' on the front, tell the driver to let you know to get off behind Aotea Centre & sit kinda up the front of the bus sorta near him, get off bus, walk straight ahead to traffic lights, cross road, head down hill to Queen St & Ted's will be on the other side of the rd before you get to Queen St!

That sounds confusing but it's not I promise!

Fuck it, get on any bus going along Grt Nrth Rd with 'Downtown' on the front, tell the driver to let you know to get off behind Aotea Centre, get off bus, text me & I'll come & meet you!
    <hr>
  • Options
    I wanna hear Rearviewmirror, Crown of Thorns. .... ANYTHING ACTUALLY. Yes but something of Riot Act would be nice tooooo. GOD DAMN I'M SO EXCITED
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    morello said:

Honestly, it's a very easy bus ride. Catch any bus on Great North Rd with 'Downtown' on the front, tell the driver to let you know to get off behind Aotea Centre & sit kinda up the front of the bus sorta near him, get off bus, walk straight ahead to traffic lights, cross road, head down hill to Queen St & Ted's will be on the other side of the rd before you get to Queen St!

That sounds confusing but it's not I promise!

Fuck it, get on any bus going along Grt Nrth Rd with 'Downtown' on the front, tell the driver to let you know to get off behind Aotea Centre, get off bus, text me & I'll come & meet you!

LISA you could text me when you're on the bus and I'll stand on the side of the road with my PJ Banner i just made and then you wont miss us hahaha

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    Do you really have a banner? Does it have a bear on it?
  • Options
    doom_pony said:

Do you really have a banner? Does it have a bear on it?

Yeah I made one today that has "THANKYOU PEARL JAM" on it, because I basically just want to thank them for everything, and i've done a bunch of pictures and stuff on it.

But I'm adding more to it tomorrow so I actually could put a bear on it!

• Options
    Cool Ashlee! I made a thank-you sign that I held up in Seattle but Ed specifically didn't read it at all which was kinda odd. Anyway, count my support behind your banner too. :)
    <hr>
  • Options

I wanna hear Rearviewmirror, Crown of Thorns. .... ANYTHING ACTUALLY. Yes but something of Riot Act would be nice tooooo. GOD DAMN I'M SO EXCITED

Good chance of RVM I'd say but slim chance really of CoT but you never know.... :)
    <hr>
  • Options
    morello said:

Good chance of RVM I'd say but slim chance really of CoT but you never know.... :)

Yeah I'm glad the chance of getting RVM is high, its one of my faves, Actually my ultimate fave is Alive which they didn't play last time so I hope they do that.

CoT is unlikely... but it would be awesome. It would have been Andy Woods birthday today so maybe coz its so close to that?? I'm dreaming.. haha

Release would be the best thing ever though

• Options
    Exciiiiiiiiiiited
  • Options
    top 3 for me are long road, baba o'riley & nothingman. I could go on, and on but 3 that jump out from the yet to hear list. Festival sets last year have included a good range of songs outside the greatest hits ones we can expect, plus all going well we'll get 3 hours so 30ish songs!. whatever happens it will be epic!
  • Options
    If they look like they're going to stop on time we'll start a sing along. They won't be able to resist us.
  • Options
    I went back to work this morning and within about five seconds there was a downpour.

Sooooo Wash! Yes?
  • Options
    Hey, just a plug, anyone coming to Auckland who wants to check out a good record store make sure you go to Southbound Records on Mt Eden Rd, just down from The Powerstation. B-)
    http://www.southbound.co.nz/
    https://www.facebook.com/southboundrecords?fref=ts
    <hr>