Options

CALGARY POSTER

Comments

• Options
    Variants are gimmicks and people are falling for it. Money grabs. The people buying the Wrigley Ames variant paid a lot for an average poster with a different color. Very laughable.

The Calgary though at least has a different design.

MunkOne's pittsburgh poster was amazing with the show edition. He didn't need to create rare variants to make some cash and drive up traffic to the website because people pay a lot for rarity and not quality.

Isn't all PJ merch these days a cash grab?

For the most part, PJ has always stayed out of the variant business until PJ20 tour. And since then, Ames has been the only one allowed to make variants. So not sure if it's the artists choice or PJ's choice to not allow variants. It may be a gimmick, but are you telling me you wouldn't be all over an Emek Portland Foil or a Munk Pittsburgh on metal?
  • Options
    TN70407TN70407 Posts: 206
    FrankBauer wrote:
    Variants are gimmicks and people are falling for it. Money grabs. The people buying the Wrigley Ames variant paid a lot for an average poster with a different color. Very laughable.

MunkOne's pittsburgh poster was amazing with the show edition. He didn't need to create rare variants to make some cash and drive up traffic to the website because people pay a lot for rarity and not quality.

For the most part, PJ has always stayed out of the variant business until PJ20 tour. And since then, Ames has been the only one allowed to make variants. So not sure if it's the artists choice or PJ's choice to not allow variants. It may be a gimmick, but are you telling me you wouldn't be all over an Emek Portland Foil or a Munk Pittsburgh on metal?

I think Ames is just making inferior posters this whole tour. The Calgary is the best, but still well at the bottom compared to some offerings from EMEK and Munk. I know art is art and beholder and all that crap, but can you tell me the effort that Ames puts out is anywhere on par with any of the other artists?

Fine, I'll say it, its nepotism that Ames still gets the call to do ANY posters.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Being a Cubs fan, I prefer the Wrigley variant since it's done in Cubs colors. But I still liked the Munk One Dirty Frank the best out of all the Wrigleys, so I bought it. He rarely, if ever, disappoints.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Ames has been making inferior posters since 2003.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    FrankBauer wrote:

Well, if you look at it that way, aren't all non-essential consumer goods cash grabs? I think having FIVE poster variants and then selling them at $200 a pop is way over the top though. Oh well.... poster collectors fucking love it! :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MSG Kong and PJ 20 might be the Ames best work in a longtime.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    FrankBauer wrote:

Well, if you look at it that way, aren't all non-essential consumer goods cash grabs? I think having FIVE poster variants and then selling them at $200 a pop is way over the top though. Oh well.... poster collectors fucking love it! :D
    It's simple really. Ames knows their posters arent hot, so they make these variants to help drive up both interest and price. Really disappointed in them. Their stuff from 96-2000 is great.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    a5pj wrote:
    Guess im in the minority, only posters i've liked this tour are charlotte (love munk 1's stuff) and phoneix, that one was sweet. Not a fan of pitts, and this one is ugly. Although the hockey variant is cool, only cuz hockey is involved.
    didnt like emek poster?

yeah it wasn't bad :D miles ahead of calagary, but I've become picky too I guess, just have so many of them, even after deciding to only get posters of the shows I've been to.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

i totally agree....and not only the 4 variants, but there is a run of 25 of each. which is absurd at 200 a pop. but thats the norm with PJ these days...the sevens boxet...5 posters at wrigley, all the merch, pop-up shops...wristbands, stickers, dog collars. its all excessive, but people buy them up.

what i dont understand is all the singular hate for ames just because people dont like their art...munk does variants for alot of his posters, doesnt mean he's above the cash grab. and im willing to bet if PJ would let him do variants, he would as well. all these new artists are selling their APs off the block at 100+, PHX had two posters, its all an effort to maximize what you can instead of the flippers making a buck off your work. Munk charged his Charlotte poster even higher than his Pitts even though that poster was inferior. its all a cash grab....

And as people said, its subjective. i personally still like Ames...their posters for wrigley and pj20 were among my favorites for each event. and its not about "effort" bc effort doesnt necessarily lead to fan appreciation. im happy with the infusion of new artists this year and i think overall they did a great job for this tour (ames included)...
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    The artists' sales are the only way they get paid for their posters. All the show versions and versions sold by the 10c make money for the band, not the artists. So Ames is living in the moment never knowing when their last gig poster will be. I can't blame them. Having all these variants at $200 a piece is greedy, but I can't blame them. It's like a running back...go for as much as you can while you are playing because you never know when that hit you take will be your last one
  • Options
    You can still buy The Cry Baby poster...
    For $200

Get em while they are hot!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    TN70407TN70407 Posts: 206
    The artists' sales are the only way they get paid for their posters. All the show versions and versions sold by the 10c make money for the band, not the artists. So Ames is living in the moment never knowing when their last gig poster will be. I can't blame them. Having all these variants at $200 a piece is greedy, but I can't blame them. It's like a running back...go for as much as you can while you are playing because you never know when that hit you take will be your last one

Doesn't the artist get an initial commission? Because if Munk/Emek/etc are putting in the hours it takes to create some of these elaborate posters for just the 80x100 that might or might not sale, then I say the people slapping a clip art monkey with a basketball on paper, well they are the smartest in the bunch!

Not bashing Ames, I still love my 98 Pitt more than any other poster I have.
  • Options
    rajan.gillrajan.gill Posts: 20
    edited December 2013
    Just got back from Calgary. The drive in the blizzard was let me say crazy haha I decided to buy a poster and got the cry baby variant. However there is a small smudge nothing big thankfully. AT0id3Xl.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/q3p79Gh.jpg
    Post edited by rajan.gill on
  • Options
    TN70407 wrote:

Doesn't the artist get an initial commission?

Nope, no commission. They earn it strictly with the S/N Artist sales. Of course it always helps when the band allows you to do 200 instead of 100 or the regular show version plus variants at $200 a pop!
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
    So were there variants at the Calgary show? I know they wouldn't be signed/numbered, but I don't care about that. I just want the hockey variant. So if they were sold at the show, please let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    TN70407 wrote:
    Not bashing Ames, I still love my 98 Pitt more than any other poster I have.

That is a damn fine poster! I should have been at that show, which would've made it my first PJ show ever, but... well, I won't get into it in case she's still a fan club member. :roll:
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    TN70407 wrote:

Doesn't the artist get an initial commission?

Nope, no commission. They earn it strictly with the S/N Artist sales. Of course it always helps when the band allows you to do 200 instead of 100 or the regular show version plus variants at $200 a pop!

This can't be correct. I've never heard of anyone working for free.

The artist may get a flat rate for the design.. They are paid to make that poster. Munk doesnt just make posters for pearl jam for free. That makes zero sense to me.
  • Options
    evolvedmammalevolvedmammal Posts: 187
    edited December 2013
    bosshogg18 wrote:
    So were there variants at the Calgary show? I know they wouldn't be signed/numbered, but I don't care about that. I just want the hockey variant. So if they were sold at the show, please let me know. Thanks.

Yes they were, i scored a calgary ames hockey variant and some stickers

Guy put it in tube havent taken it out but i can see a mask and stick

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll31 ... /image.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll31 ... mage-1.jpg
    Post edited by evolvedmammal on
    05 - St. Johns I II
    06 - Toronto I II
    08 - DC NYC I II
    09 - Calgary Toronto
    11 - Calgary Edmonton
    13 - Calgary

Openers : Cant Keep, Small Town, Severed Hand, Release X3, Hard to Imagine X2, Why Go, Of the Girl X2, Wash,.......
  • Options

This could be their tag line!

Ames... making inferior posters since 2003.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:

The artist may get a flat rate for the design.. They are paid to make that poster. Munk doesnt just make posters for pearl jam for free. That makes zero sense to me.

It's not technically for free. Say posters are sold for 75 with an AP run of 100. That's 7500 which is how much I could get an Esao OG for....plus they gain notoriety and a bigger fan base.

Does anyone know who covers the printing costs?
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:

Who said work for free?
    Ames doesn't get a dime from the posters sold at shows nor when they go on sale here in SHOP.
    They had what, 4 variants today, each at a run of 25 at $200 a piece? If they sold all 100 variants, they made $20,000 just off of the Calgary show and that doesn't even include the non-variant S/N. How is $20,000 working for free?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    smanchac1 wrote:

Who said work for free?
    Ames doesn't get a dime from the posters sold at shows nor when they go on sale here in SHOP.
    They had what, 4 variants today, each at a run of 25 at $200 a piece? If they sold all 100 variants, they made $20,000 just off of the Calgary show and that doesn't even include the non-variant S/N. How is $20,000 working for free?
    so.buddy lets forrget the calgary exable with the variant etc..
    u are saying that normally artist makes money from a print ,ONLY from the sale at their shop??
    so an artist makes a pj poster and put them for sale, S/N a run of 100 and sells for 50$ = 5000$ ,thats it?
    thats how it goes? and every part is paying the cost of the print they sale??10c the ones at the shows and the shop here and artist his own copies will sell at his shop?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    u are saying that normally artist makes money from a print ,ONLY from the sale at their shop??
    so an artist makes a pj poster and put them for sale, S/N a run of 100 and sells for 50$ = 5000$ ,thats it?
    thats how it goes? and every part is paying the cost of the print they sale??10c the ones at the shows and the shop here and artist his own copies will sell at his shop?

"That's it?" $5000 is a lot man. Like I said before, look up Esao Andrews, you can buy one of his OGs for 5-7Gs and I think his "effort" and abilities are way more impressive than these gigposter artists. And $50 is on the low end this tour...I think kozik is the only one that charged $50 for his AP.

My guess is Pj maybe covers the costs of the printing. Once the artists submits his work to the printers, the printers will ship 100 (or 200) to the artist and the rest to 10c.
  • Options
    FrankBauer wrote:

"That's it?" $5000 is a lot man. Like I said before, look up Esao Andrews, you can buy one of his OGs for 5-7Gs and I think his "effort" and abilities are way more impressive than these gigposter artists. And $50 is on the low end this tour...I think kozik is the only one that charged $50 for his AP.

My guess is Pj maybe covers the costs of the printing. Once the artists submits his work to the printers, the printers will ship 100 (or 200) to the artist and the rest to 10c.
    i was reffering they dont getting any other money from the other sale,not thats not alot of money..
    im just curius how it works
    im asking cos,if for exable a poster sells 5000 copies total,at show and the pj shop and at artist shop and u as an artist of the poster gets the money only from 100 of the 5000 ..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    FrankBauerFrankBauer Posts: 448
    edited December 2013
    i was reffering they dont getting any other money from the other sale,not thats not alot of money..
    im asking cos,if for exable a poster sells 5000 copies total,at show and the pj shop and at artist shop and u as an artist of the poster gets the money only from 100 of the 5000 ..

Yea...that's my understanding how it works. 10c/PJ make a killing, which is why I think they cover all production costs.

Edit: gaining notoriety and building a fanbase is essential for these artists. So there are plenty of incentives to do a PJ poster other than just getting a small cut...pj fans are fanatics.
    Post edited by FrankBauer on
  • Options
    FrankBauer wrote:

Yea...that's my understanding how it works. 10c/PJ make a killing, which is why I think they cover all production costs.
    cool,thanks!!

ps..,and thats why the artist has a rip off shipping cost.. :lol:
  • Options
    QA185761QA185761 Posts: 271
    people pay a lot for rarity and not quality

For the most part, PJ has always stayed out of the variant business until PJ20 tour. And since then, Ames has been the only one allowed to make variants. So not sure if it's the artists choice or PJ's choice to not allow variants. It may be a gimmick, but are you telling me you wouldn't be all over an Emek Portland Foil or a Munk Pittsburgh on metal?[/quote]

I think Ames is just making inferior posters this whole tour. The Calgary is the best, but still well at the bottom compared to some offerings from EMEK and Munk. I know art is art and beholder and all that crap, but can you tell me the effort that Ames puts out is anywhere on par with any of the other artists?

gives credence to beauty is in the eye of the beholder

the Vancouver poster was the base for Falla Sheep...........

What a base it was.

Falla sheep sold out, must have buy, buy, buy

curious to see how fast that poster will sell out now

still trying to figure out how this quoting/responding thing works, thanks
  • Options
    chriszeechriszee Posts: 107
    Im pretty sure I read an artist reply to these questions on expressobeans once. The artist will often get the choice between a flat rate or to keep x amount of the prints to sell on their own site. Many will choose the latter.
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
    I'm looking for the Calgary hockey varient from the show. I have the Portland poster in the upcoming Seattle poster for trade.
  • Options
    SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453

This could be their tag line!

Ames... making inferior posters since 2003.

LOL
    ShawnZ