Storytellers

Comments

• The show went a lot longer than the air time, so plenty will be cut out. VH1 won't go within a mile of Here's to the State. They can cut plenty and have very "tv-worthy"/mass appeal stuff with the comments on Betterman and Alive which were personal rather than political.
    .(...\................/....)
    . \....\............ /..../
    ...\....\.........../..../
    ....\..../´¯.I.¯`\..../
    ..../... I.....I....(¯ \
    ...I......I....I.....\...\
    ...I......I´¯.I´¯.I \...l
    ....\.....` ¯..¯ ´...../
    ......\__________/
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    sorry there were 5 other threads talking about the sound and what they said...didnt' think there was need to do another

they were great, as always, very charged, should be very cool to see on tv

sorry I missed those.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255
    were you the guy who kept asking for the pen?
    it was about 400 and tim is very nice I talked to him for a bit
  • good questions...
    I thought all pearl jam fans were dumb because of this board. I was wrong about the fans but not the board.
    sometimes i burn like a dot on the sun
    and there is no god with a plan
    this worlds an accident
    bring it on cause i'm no victim
  • anyone else interested in this great offer?
    The show went a lot longer than the air time, so plenty will be cut out. VH1 won't go within a mile of Here's to the State. They can cut plenty and have very "tv-worthy"/mass appeal stuff with the comments on Betterman and Alive which were personal rather than political.

for sure, it'll be 5 songs maybe and the q&a and the interviews they taped earlier in the day
  • can someone please tell me what this storytellers thing is? is it a tvshow in D.C???
    Roskilde
    Astoria
    Barcelona
    Bologna
    Verona
    Milano
    Torino
    Berlin
    Athens
    København
    Nijmegen
    great recap, were you taking notes?
    can someone please tell me what this storytellers thing is? is it a tvshow in D.C???

it's a show on vh1 where bands talk about the songs and play them for a small audienve, 10c did ia contest of some of us won
  • Dude! It wasn't "Boooo!"
    ... It was "Boooooom!" as in Boom Gaspire.

dude.
    it's Gaspar.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    now we want a VH1 airtime!
  • I was there. It was awesome. A little on the warm side, but I'm over that. Alive was the highlight, I agree. From the story to the actual performance. I've seen it plenty in concert, but it was still good complete with Mike behind his head solo. Insignificance was great if only to see them going nuts ten feet away. Here's to the State of George W was a real treat especially since VH1 won't go anywhere near that so most people will not see it. My buddy and I both got our questions asked. His was the one about fans with conflicting politics to which Ed said, "Fuck 'em." Classic.
    ....\..../´¯.I.¯`\..../
    ..../... I.....I....(¯ \
    ....\.....` ¯..¯ ´...../
    ......\__________/
  • Lsk6453Lsk6453 Posts: 554
    Yeah, I was just thinkingthe same thing, given that it was "Storytellers" and all. Out of their entire catalog, they put in Insignificance? Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, but there are a LOT of other songs that a storyteller worthy.

I would have figured the set would have been 100% accoustic, with songs like Garden, Black, Given to Fly, Off He Goes, Footsteps, and other songs like that.

Kind of surprised they played the rockers and a good number of new songs.
    Shows attended: 39

7/5/98 Dallas, 10/17/00 Dallas, 4/30/03 Uniondale, 7/8/03 MSG 1, 7/9/03 MSG 2, 9/28/04 Boston 1, 9/29/04 Boston 2, 10/03/05 Philly, 4/15/06 SNL, 5/5/06 Irving Plaza, 5/13/06 Hartford, 6/1/06 NJ 1, 6/3/06 NJ 2, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/27/08 Hartford, 7/1/08 The Beacon, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 5/20/10 MSG, 5/21/10 MSG, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13, Brooklyn, 10/25/13 Hartford, 11/15/13 Dallas, 10/12/14 Austin 2, 5/1/16 MSG 1, 5/2/16 MSG 2, 8/5/15 Fenway 1, 4/7/17 RRHOF Induction, 8/8/18 Seattle 1, 8/10/18 Seattle  2, 9/2/18 Fenway 1, 9/13/23 Ft. Worth 1, 9/15/23 Ft. Worth 2, 5/16/24 Vegas 1, 5/18/24 Vegas 2, 9/17/24 Fenway 2
  • skinnylegsskinnylegs Posts: 112
    [quote="evzar

pss. THANKS TO BRETT FOR HOOKING ME UP WITH A FREE TICKET! I OWE YOU![/quote"]

So YOU'RE the one Brett took over me. He told me he was going to bring me, but when he got a better offer from you he changed his mind and brought you instead. Ouch!
    No hard feelings to you. I'm glad you had a great time.
    I'll be thoroughly enjoying my 1st or 2nd row seats at tonights show WITHOUT Brett!
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
  • Lsk6453 wrote:
    I would have figured the set would have been 100% accoustic, with songs like Garden, Black, Given to Fly, Off He Goes, Footsteps, and other songs like that.

Kind of surprised they played the rockers and a good number of new songs.

Insignificance sucks, aside from that, it's a cool group of songs...

I've seen past storytellers shows, I don't recall any just being acoustic...
    I don't blame them for playing new stuff, gotta get it out there...plus, PJ is a rock band, if anything, the biggest criticism they have received the last few albums is that they'd gone soft...they need to get the message out that they still play the hard stuff.
  • possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    ana i thought the annoying guy yelling mamasan and everything else that came to mind was your husband, i was like how does she put up with that?
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • I gotta tell you

that setlist sucks

I don't see them getting many new fans from this....but who cares its all for us!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • It's hard to describe, but the set worked well with the stories in a way that can't be seen just from reading the setlist. There were some themes for the night and some songs that got picked because they had particularly good stories (Betterman, Alive). Insignificance worked well because there was no story. They just introduced it as a hometown Seattle song and went nuts.
    ....\..../´¯.I.¯`\..../
    ..../... I.....I....(¯ \
    ....\.....` ¯..¯ ´...../
    ......\__________/
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Insignificance sucks
    not quite
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    I wasn't there, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he talked about how Boeing is headquartered in Seattle and how they're responsible for building bomber planes.

That's their 'hometown' connection to 'bombs dropping down'.

They didn't talk much about Insignificance. Ed just said "this is a homegrown seattle song" I thought it was the best song of the night. The band went nuts. I was right on top (literally) of Mike and Jeff and I've never seen the rock out more than they did on that song
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • I can't believe Stone made reference to I'm Still Here! How cool!
    ||| lifewasted.net ||| Pearl Jam Fans Unite Down Under
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    grace6697 wrote:
    needless to say, i waited and waited and waited and i did not get in. however, i did meet tim bierman who was not so nice. whatever.

kevin, i am THRILLED that you and brian got in. you guys deserve it.

So were you the girl who was offering to do the "Leatherman dance" for Tim?? I can imagine why he might not respond in a favorable manner!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Congrats to all those that got in!!! It was quite a happening. I hung out outside for hours in the hopes of getting in. No luck. What I did see was an older guy (very tan) and his blonde gf? running across the street early in the day yelling "they're blue" referring to the wristbands. They came back 30 minutes later with a totally different shade of blue wristband than everyone else and still got in!!!!!! Also some guy leaving at about 8:45!!!! I asked him if I could have his wristband. He said they wouldn't let anyone in now. I told him they had let someone in 10 minutes prior. He said that he couldn't part with it, he had to have it! Couldn't part with it, but could leave the show half-way into it??? Bizarre night indeed!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • peachykeenpeachykeen Posts: 108
    best experience ever. right infront of mike n jeff. amazing. i rocked they rocked. i got a mike pic whooo! i am soo gonna be on tv lol. it was bit different set up than other storytellers. we were ALL standing no seats bc it was such a small venue. better that way anyway. clive and the rest of the vip buisness men were up in a little rafter section. you could tell some of the band members kinda looked not happy when they walked onto stage, but by the end they seemed in good spirits specially the question part. i didnt want to ask a question but they made me so mine was "mike will you ever break out those cowboy chaps again?" kinda lame but it made me laugh. glad it didnt get picked. all the songs were right on. i figured they were gonna play alot more new songs than old ones which is fine by me! cant wait to see it on tv!
    <3 dee
    *If I had known then what I know now*

199xxx
  • I don't see them getting many new fans from this....but who cares its all for us!!

Exactly!!!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,775
    grace6697 wrote:
    needless to say, i waited and waited and waited and i did not get in. however, i did meet tim bierman who was not so nice. whatever.

kevin, i am THRILLED that you and brian got in. you guys deserve it.

Strange, I also met Tim and he was really cool
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,775
    I gotta tell you

that setlist sucks

I don't see them getting many new fans from this....but who cares its all for us!!

the number of new songs was a surprise, but the set DID NOT SUCK

this was clearly part of the J records marketing push
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    not quite

Not a fan of Binaural, but Insignificance is excellent and the Storytellers performance of it was superb!!