Storytellers

Comments

• iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    so excited for you...wish i could have been there!!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    JD Sal wrote:
    Do share ....

this is probably not the best forum (no pun intended) to do so. :)
    take your money and your drugs.
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    grace6697 wrote:
    this is probably not the best forum (no pun intended) to do so. :)

Why, because he's the 10c president and all? :)

I hear he's also a client too.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
    Ed crossed over to the last 10-11 fans waiting outside at 11p
    very nice then got in van waved from van and then drove away
    I didn't get in
    but saying hi to ed
    (and telling him just stay there so that I could try to take a picture with my phone--which did not work)
    was much better
  • StrykerStryker Posts: 585
    4Powers20 wrote:
    Unreal! It was tiny maybe 150 people. The set was Betterman, Unemployable, Worldwide Suicide, Gone, Sleight of Hand, Army Reserve, Insignificance, Alive, Here's to the State of George W, Life Wasted. I am positive of the setlist because I am reading from the one I GOT!!!! Thank You 10C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said it before and I'll say it again; I love the new album but there were way too many new songs for something like Storytellers. There are plenty of non-hits from other albums if thats what they were going for. Meh.
  • I was there too. Thanks to the 10 Club!!!

Great performances. The band and Eddie were in top form.

Alive was fantastic and the story behind it was great. WWS and Life Wasted were standouts.

Great sound. The rockers from the new CD sound so much better live because the bass gives the riffs weight that the studio recordings are so lacking.

The show was very much focused on Pearl Jam pushing their political agenda.

Very disappointed with the set list.

Was very hot even though they had a completely functional AC system that someone chose to under utilize

About 40% of the people only caught glimpses of the band because of the awful layout of the Avalon made it impossible to see the band on stage.

Looking forward to much better set lists at the upcoming 2 Continental shows.

Overall, it was a privelege to be there. The Ten Club is the best !!!!!!!!!!!!
    grace6697 wrote:
    needless to say, i waited and waited and waited and i did not get in. however, i did meet tim bierman who was not so nice. whatever.

Yeah, what happened with that?
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    what a spectacular show, wish I could have been there. I hope this is an official dvd release. The set was not bad in my opinion- only one I would have axed would have been sleight of hand.

PS. I think Mary Kate is hot.... too bad she is a celebrity and taken.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    red mos wrote:

PS. I think Mary Kate is hot.... too bad she is a celebrity and taken.

lolz, what are you like 14?
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    tell us about the stories! please!!
  • evzarevzar Posts: 45
    I just got back from Storytellers.. Tiny tiny venue, I was told they gave out 400 tickets. I was 10 feet away from the band during the performance.
    Ed did not look comfortable tonight. Very hot and sweaty inside, you can tell they werent pleased.. Ed was reading his "stories" straight from his notes, and the majority of it revolved the war and his anti-government views.

I wasnt pleased with the choice of songs for a TV show, but still an amazing performance. Every song was played perfectly.. I didnt expect WWS and the harder songs to be played for an intimate show - again they were rockin!!

In my opnion, the highlight of the night was Eddies story of "Alive".. I dont want to give it away, I advise you to wait and listen to Ed explain how the song has evolved over the years from negative to positive. It almost looked as if he was getting emotional and started to choke up :)

Question + Answer part was interesting. The fans were all given index cards outside on line and asked to sumbit a question. Eddie had maybe 15 of these cards in his hands and handed them to the bandmembers to answer. They chose some sillier questions, nothing too serious.. ("why do stone and mike exchange guitars on smile" & "what would you be doing if you werent in pearl jam)

After the show, few fans were waiting outside for the band members to leave. First came out Mike, then Stone & boom, all went straight into the van. Eddie came out 10 minutes later, and quickly cross the street to thank the few fans. I was lucky enough to thank him for tonight and shook his hand before he jumped into his van..

An Amazing, once in a lifetime experience tonight..
    David

ps.. for anyone that was there, I was the only one (idiot) wearing the suit and dress shirt/pants.. (sucks going to a concert straight from work)

pss. THANKS TO BRETT FOR HOOKING ME UP WITH A FREE TICKET! I OWE YOU!
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    awesome, thanks for the review :)

look forward to seeing this :D
    wah
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Claudia wrote:
    tell us about the stories! please!!

Is there a chance that attendees had to sign a confidentiality agreement?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • sophiesophie Posts: 13
    I was lucky enough to go to storytellers tonight with my sister. Here are my notes from what I remember of what Ed said before/after each of the songs. Hopefully others can remember some more details. There was no confidentially agreement that I know of for the show (just strictly no photos/phones). Ed had obviously spent some time preparing for this and was reading from notes he had written earlier. The theme was very political. Some of Ed's speeches were quite funny and touching.

Betterman - song originally about an abusive relationship and how sometimes it can take surprisingly long to get out of; compared it to the relationship between the american people and the country's leaders and how that also has seemed to turn in to an abusive relationship where the truth is not told

Unemployable - how the people that are voting for this government, the ones in the red states, are often the ones most hurt by the actions of this government with their jobs being sent overseas (by corporations who only care about the bottom line) and also these people being sent off to fight the war; often times it's the people who appear to be doing all the right things - going to church, working hard, etc. that these things happen to and it seems unfair (it would be different if something bad happened because you know you had done something wrong)

WWS - played without an intro, I think

Gone - a song about leaving a place behind and how sometimes you need to leave not just the bad things but also some of the good things like your friends and family

Sleight of Hand - mentioned how many of PJ's songs are about driving and driving to get away from something, like Bruce Springsteen, but he has about 40 songs like that and PJ has less; one example is RVM (cheers from the crowd, Ed said that one will not be played tonight); and that this next song is about being stuck in traffic and first thinking about how you should have gotten off at the previous exit but soon it turns to thoughts on life and thinking about the last few years and things you should have done differently; sometimes even playing the stereo loudly in the car can't drown out the thoughts in one's mind

Army Reserve - how the band has personally seen friends and family die including members of their own audience, six years ago, and it makes one realize how each death affects so many people

Insignificance - briefly mentioned something about hometown beforehand

Alive - this song started out as a curse, Ed told the story (in the third person) of the song, as a teenager who finds out that the person who he thought was his father wasn't, etc.; finally admits that the song is about him by saying first that it's about a person he knows, but not very well, as he did not know himself very well at that point; the chorus is meant as something sad/confused but the song has gradually taken on a new meaning as they've seen the audiences embrace it as an anthem - something positive and celebratory; now the curse has been lifted thanks to this

- ed came on stage by himself with an acoustic guitar for the encore and someone yelled out "Dirty Frank", to which he responded "acoustic?" and then someone else yelled that he should play whatever he wants, to which he said "I think I'll take this gentleman's request"

Here's to the state of Goerge W. - song originally written about the civil rights movement then changed to be about Nixon; now altered again by Tim Robbins in the VFC tour and Ed has updated the lyrics again to reflect things since the last election; his daughter is very young now (shows with his hand how short), but when she's all grown up perhaps she can do her own variation; although songs like this will hopefully no longer be needed

Q&A period

- ed first asked who, honestly, was at the show in the same venue (the Limelight at the time) back when they first played there (I think just one person said yes)

- ed gave mike the first question - "with inside job, how did it feel to have Ed sing the lyrics to such a personal song that you had written?"
    - mike talked about how special it felt and that he almost started to cry he was so touched but didn't want to in front of the guys, but did get tears in his eyes; ed mentioned that it was nice to have one less song to write lyrics to and also complimented Mike on the song

- ed kept flipping through the stack of questions he was given (just a small part of all the questions that were submitted) and throwing some on the floor or giving to other band members to answer

- stone got one about how they choose which causes to support and part of his answer was quoting ed in a song that he said may not have ever been released - "so you want to see other people, well, look around, they're everywhere" (from I'm Still Here)

- Jeff got a question about why they switch instruments with Stone on Smile; he said because the three chords he wrote were so ridiculously simple, too simple for stone (I think)

- Matt also answered a question but I can't remember

- one of the final ones ed decided to answer was about how they feel about fans who have different political opinions from the band; he first asked who wrote the question and said that he's not surprised if they've disappeared; then he read the question and I think he answered "fuck 'em" but then had a much longer answer about how they respect different opinions and it's good to have discussions, etc.

"Now let's play some more" - Life Wasted
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Thank you!!!!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I wasn't there, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he talked about how Boeing is headquartered in Seattle and how they're responsible for building bomber planes.

That's their 'hometown' connection to 'bombs dropping down'.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Vookie23Vookie23 Posts: 607
    thanks for the detail and the time taken to write it, very appreciated
    "Futures Above, But In The Past He's Slow and Sinking"

Canberra 95, Melbourne 03, Melbourne 1,2,3. 06, Sydney 3, 06, Newcastle 06, Adelaide 1,2 06, Adelaide 09, Melbourne 09, Sydney 09, Brisbane 09, Canberra 11, Newcastle 11, Sydney 1,2. 11, Melbourne 1,2. 11
  • BeGirlBeGirl Posts: 22
    Wow. Much appreciated! Can't wait to see it myself.
    "Hi...Dick." - Ed (D.C., 5/30/06)
  • I was diving...I was diving... Posts: 1,832
    Thanking you ;)
    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stoney G.

http://www.myspace.com/ozbeachbum

7/11/06 - Sydney 1
    18/11/06 - Sydney 3
    19/11/06 - Newcastle Baby!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Thank you so much for letting us know about the show! I spent the day at the hospital with one of my sons while he had surgery, nice for me to get up this am and feel like a part of it.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I wasn't there, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that he talked about how Boeing is headquartered in Seattle and how they're responsible for building bomber planes.

That's their 'hometown' connection to 'bombs dropping down'.

nope, just a real quick "this is a hometown song"
  • Outstanding! Thanks for transcribing all of that.

When will the show be aired on VH1?
    "It changes your life in all kinds of ways and it's all positive. It seems like looking back, not having kids was like a waste of time." -e.v.
    I got there at 4, there was only one other person there, she had told me that I just missed ed, mike and matt coming out.

I met possomist,pldgmygrievence and pjguy in line, all very cool guys.

when they finally let us is (we were being held up because there was no vip entrance, boo hoo) my husband and I got front row center.

Beats our 2nd row by leaps and bounds.

I wouldn't say ed was pissed but stone was, someone told me later that he wasn't happy with ed turning it into a political platform. Half of me is wishing it would of been more like the stories in lost dogs, but the other half of me wouldn't expect ed to pass that opportunity up.

So my husband and I got looks and waves from mike and matt. At one point I looked and mike and was singing and pointing at him and he smiled and did a mick jagger strut, look for it, I hope they keep that part in. I also caught a pic from Jeff.

They guy next to me was really annoying, he kept yelling "mamasan, footsteps, wash, dirty frank, hey ed, what's up stone" over and over again, he wasn't 10c he knew a guy who knew a guy at mtv and someone told me he'd been drinking whiskey in line the whole time.

after it was over a handful of people waited by the band entrance to see the guys, only ed came over and it was for half a second, just said hi and got chocolates from some girl. Stone and Mike's techs came over and gave us all pics.
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Great but what about the music? How did it sound??
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    Great but what about the music? How did it sound??
    sorry there were 5 other threads talking about the sound and what they said...didnt' think there was need to do another

they were great, as always, very charged, should be very cool to see on tv
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Judging by the name of the show I would have expected more stories from the band. Reading the posts from people that were there doesn't sound like there were too many stories. Maybe I was expecting too much or a better setlist ? Grant it, if I was there I would have been happy if they played anything. Not crazy about the setlist though. There are so many other songs that I would have had liked to hear about. PJ has such a huge collection and songs that have a deeper meaning towards me. I guess I wanted some more of those songs.

I wish SH was discussed...confused on that song.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Great recap. Thanks.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• I hope they air this... Vh1 has a habit of taping but not airing shows . And judging by the responses from people who were luck enough to attend , they weren't very "storytelling" and most of it was political which is a beating for most people.
    sometimes i burn like a dot on the sun
    and there is no god with a plan
    this worlds an accident
    bring it on cause i'm no victim
  • kikigirlkikigirl Posts: 17
    I really hope they air it. Or at least the club can release it for us.
    are we going to the same place? if so, can i come?
  • Thanks so much....must of been awesome....how were your seats?