Options

pearl jam is NOT good at jamming

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    I love PJ's "jams". I wish they'd do it more.

I really like the back and forth of Mike and Stone during Porch and wish they'd do that more!
  • Options
    I think they are fine at jamming, they just do too much of it during their sets, especially if Even Flow, RVM, Wishlist, Alive, Porch, Crazy Mary, and Black are on the set.

I think it is time to chop the middle jam out of Even Flow and make the song leaner. They've been playing it fairly similar since 2000, albeit with the Matt solo.

Keep Porch the way it is, but keep the tempo up. I can't stand it when they bring it all the way down. Keep the tension going.

RVM, to me, is PJ's time the act like Sonic Youth. I like the jams, but I much prefer the song early in the set, and with an abreviated jam. Packs a serious punch in the #2 slot of the set.

And please, get Boom out of Crazy Mary and bring back the Stairway to Heaven jam by Mike.

Show some balls PJ and get adventurous with some of the newer material. Jam out on Half Full, MITS, and Come Back. Just blaze away.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    I have to agree with the original poster on this one. I think PJ is not a good improvising band at all. The reason is because Mike isnt the greatest improviser. He doesnt phrase. He just does licks. He has a encyclopedia of pentatonic licks that he pulls out, or just feedbacks. Its cool in small doses, but not or extended jams. Improvising well is very hard to do. I used to LOVE the jam scene, but I find that I can only listen to the top tier jam groups. The reason is that you have to be at such a high level of musicianship to pull it off. I think Mike is great at being a rock guitar player, but improvising well utilizes a skill set that goes beyond being a solid rock player.
  • Options
    hmmm, good debate. i think they can create a good jam once in a while. the second night in east rutherford they were tight on both porch and crazy mary. but then there are times where its practically the same thing over and over.
    its especially hard when ive listened to bands like phish, moe and string cheese whose performances are built around improv. i think for what its worth, most of pearl jams "jams" are aimed at building up to climaxing a song like rvm and porch.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

i personally can't stand when they jam on rvm. plus i don't want to hear three or four minutes of noise during crazy mary either. while boom might add a certain dynamic to other songs (those with keys in the studio versions) his "solo" during crazy mary is abysmal.

take away those five to ten minutes of worthless jamming and give me other songs. hell. i'll even go so far as to say i'd rather hear wishlist or sweet lew.

if you feel that way then basically theres no point for being at the concert.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    if you feel that way then basically theres no point for being at the concert.

how is that? they only jam on a handful of songs.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

i personally can't stand when they jam on rvm. plus i don't want to hear three or four minutes of noise during crazy mary either. while boom might add a certain dynamic to other songs (those with keys in the studio versions) his "solo" during crazy mary is abysmal.

take away those five to ten minutes of worthless jamming and give me other songs. hell. i'll even go so far as to say i'd rather hear wishlist or sweet lew.

i agree with you on RVM.

otherwise, WHAT?!?!
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    PEARl JAM
    JAM
    JAM
    JAM
    notice the last word it says jam
    hmmmmmmmmmmm
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    i agree with you on RVM.

otherwise, WHAT?!?!

That is EXACTLY how I feel. I really don't like the RVM jam. I find it to be boring noise. But shit, I love that Crazy Mary jamming between Boom and Mike.....and Porch is great.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    The RVM jam is pure music ecstasy and is fuckin amazing. Only a person who doesn't appreciate a true sense of what music is would complain.

All their jams are great. I don't necessarily care for them to be longer or shorter, but the more creative and different they get, the better I like em. I especially like it when Eddie starts singing out while they're jamming, like in Porch and RVM.
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,547
    Im sorry but PJ is one of the, if not THE best band in the world when it comes to improv and jamming. I mean, most bands u go see nowadays...might as well just play the album loud at home! At least with PJ, u get improv sets and the like.

RVM improv and EvenFlow are just amazing! OK...crazy mary can go on a bit but Jams through songs like daughter with another brick and wma etc are just amazing!

Would u rather they just play the studio track???

WAKE UP!!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I am 50/50 on this one... I like rvm jamming and crazy mary but I think they can go much further with songs like fuckin' up, big wave, life wasted etc.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    i once went out with a girl who wanted to be in the circus......

but thats another story for another day.......

I don't see the word 'cincy' mentioned in this story.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i have to say that the 'jams' bore me to Boresville, Tennessee... 3 and half minutes of pj fucking around during RVM.. if they hadnt played that jam then i could have heard MFC and Lukin and it would still have left Ed 30seconds to rant about Bush... everyone wins.

as if Even Flow wasnt actually played enough as it is they now do an extended jam and a fuckin drum solo...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    bring back the Blood jam!

blood > atomic dog
    blood > suck you dry
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i have to say that the 'jams' bore me to Boresville, Tennessee... 3 and half minutes of pj fucking around during RVM.. if they hadnt played that jam then i could have heard MFC and Lukin and it would still have left Ed 30seconds to rant about Bush... everyone wins.

as if Even Flow wasnt actually played enough as it is they now do an extended jam and a fuckin drum solo...

Very well put Mr. Man.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Jams are what make Pearl Jam so great live..

I love the extended Corduroy jam, RVM is trance inducing, Porch, Even Flow, Black etc etc.

Crazy Mary is ok, but cut it off at the 5-6 minute mark. The 10min + versions from 03 were way too long.

I would love to hear Habit extended, that end jam is insane..
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    DISAGREE

plus: it might be the best jammin band in the spotlight right now (i repeat, in the spotlight)
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    ummm their is pearl JAM
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

i COMPLETELY disagree, these are one of those moments you feel they are really there with you and want to do something for you. SOmething unexpected for you and something they only feel and does not know!
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    if the jams bore you, then you goto too many shows. take a tour off.
  • Options
    I really like the jams and I think that this is what makes PJ so awesome live, but I have to agree that Boom´s solo in CRAZY MARY is way too much.
    Daniella Duarte
    **Que Porra estávamos pensando?** EV São Paulo 03/12/05
  • Options
    bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 465
    the jams get to be a bit too much sometimes.

crazy mary does NOT need to be 10 minutes long. when i saw them at borgata, i honestly wanted to puke. i don;t know what it was, but they just wouldn't stop "jamming".

i liek a good solo, but i like when it fits into the song, ala johnny greenwood.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Options
    normally, i stay away from saying stuff like this ... but your statement "pearl jam is not got at jamming" is just batshit. the rest of your statement seems to be about how you don't want to hear them jam -- which is NOT retarded. i like the jams but i can see why others don't. but to say that pj is no good at jamming is completely different. and, did i mention, complete batshit. oh yeah, i did.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    I think that is what makes the live shows special...I might have agreed when I was younger and in a bigger hurry :-), but as I age (I'm Ed's age) I enjoy the jamming
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    I love pretty much all the jams. It's their instensity/passion, set lists, and jams that really set them apart from most bands. I agree with RVM being incredible early in the show. I also think Even Flow could be brought out only for special occasions for awhile. Sometimes the solo seems like they are merely going through the motions.

I'm kind of going off on a tangent here... I've been listening to a lot of the Australia/Japan portion of the Riot Act Tour lately. Every time I hear Save You, Boom's organ part gets on my nerves. It's constantly in the background muddying up the sound in that song. Anyone else notice that?
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • Options
    LaterDaysLaterDays Posts: 142
    normally, i stay away from saying stuff like this ... but your statement "pearl jam is not got at jamming" is just batshit. the rest of your statement seems to be about how you don't want to hear them jam -- which is NOT retarded. i like the jams but i can see why others don't. but to say that pj is no good at jamming is completely different. and, did i mention, complete batshit. oh yeah, i did.

I agree with this sentiment. If the post asked, "Do you like it when the band jams?" rather than "Do you think they're good at jamming?" I think there would be more agreement with the original poster.

I think they're plenty good at "jamming," I just don't personally care for it. Not just with them, but with virtually any band. I've seen Dave Matthews about a dozen times and every show I've been to, I think, "Goddamn it, I forgot he does this." He'll play a 12-song, 3 hour show. It's just personal preference, but I'd much rather he play a 28-song, 3 hour show... I can do w/out a 15 minute version of Tripping Billies. Same with PJ... if them rocking out for 8 minutes to RVM or Even Flow means they'll play one or two less songs in the set, then I'd without a doubt vote to skip the "jamming."

But to ask if they're "good" at it is kinda silly, IMO.
    "You are everything, and everything is you. Me, you... you, me -- it's all related."
  • Options
    joseppijoseppi Posts: 58
    i think that the organ sometimes makes it sound too "circus-y." its like i'm waiting for juggling clowns to come out.

That's hilarious! I've never been a fan of the organ solos either...
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Just been watching L@TG and IIC......

They seem pretty good at jamming to me.....Even Flow is amazing, Crazy Mary, the tags on Daughter, Crazy Mary, Rockin in the Free World......

Some of us aren't as lucky to have had oppurtunities to see them live....I'd give anything to hear them jam live.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Steveo wrote:
    bring back the Blood jam!

blood > atomic dog
    blood > suck you dry

hells yes. the one from the berline 96' show is classic.
    www.cluthelee.com