"I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Albany...2006...Porch...
    great version but east ruth2 better trust me
    Go Birds!!!!
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

i personally can't stand when they jam on rvm. plus i don't want to hear three or four minutes of noise during crazy mary either. while boom might add a certain dynamic to other songs (those with keys in the studio versions) his "solo" during crazy mary is abysmal.

take away those five to ten minutes of worthless jamming and give me other songs. hell. i'll even go so far as to say i'd rather hear wishlist or sweet lew.

You sir are completely nuts!
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

i personally can't stand when they jam on rvm. plus i don't want to hear three or four minutes of noise during crazy mary either. while boom might add a certain dynamic to other songs (those with keys in the studio versions) his "solo" during crazy mary is abysmal.

take away those five to ten minutes of worthless jamming and give me other songs. hell. i'll even go so far as to say i'd rather hear wishlist or sweet lew.

:eek:

I'm trying not to judge but you are clearly insane if you don't like RVM jams!

My favorite RVM jam is Grand Rapids 06 or San Diego 06.... love love love it!

I wish they would extend the mini-jam they do on "Insignificance". I love the jamming!
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I think most of my fav RVM jams have been posted. But, I felt the need to defend Boom a bit. I think his solo on Crazy Mary from gorge 05 is spectacular! and I love his jam from In my tree from Philly 05 is also awesome. Go BOOM!
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    love the jam, can do without the organ.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    :eek:

I'm trying not to judge but you are clearly insane if you don't like RVM jams!

i LOVE that statement there!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    prism wrote:
    oh yeah, tell it like it IS, sista :)

:)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

I agree wholeheartedly actually. Their jams often don't have much melody or atmosphere... they're pretty much just noise in a particular key.

BUT, their extended solos like on Black, 1/2 Full, and Evenflow and their tags to the end of songs like Wishlist and Daughter are AMAZING. They need to do more stuff like that. But yeah, the noise-jams need to go. The RVM on L@tG is the low point of that DVD if you axe me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

um disagree!!!!!

DUH

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

disagree. i love the jamming... its just one of many elements you receive at a PJ show. the band is very versatile, but is still able to have a distinct identity.
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    the way that Stone and Mike are able to layer their respective guitars together is special.

I've Got A Feeling from Boston III '94
    and
    Porch from Atlanta '94

are exactly what I mean. absolutely FANTASTIC.

and Jeff is normally great during RVM jams. simple, quiet, but he knows when to play and plays it well.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

disagree. :)
  • I took a friend with me to MSG 03 who was a huge music fan with a lot of punk background ... but not necessarily a huge PJ fan.

He said he thought the whole show was pretty damn good, and that it made him undestand why so many people say they are such a great live band ...

But THEN he said, "That being said, REARVIEW MIRROR IS DEFINATELY THEIR BEST LIVE MOMENT."

I'm not saying i agree that RVM is their crown jewel ... but if you take an "outsiders" opinion with any heft, you certainly can't say the jams suck ... cause they seem to move the average joe.

And ... remembering Porch, and Blood, and random jams that just pop up all over the place ... i have to disagree personaly as well.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • whoYOUare wrote:

with that being said, they are not like Phish, or the Dead, or any of Les Claypools 9,647 projects, or any other jam band for that reason. They do what they do in a more structured way and dont practice that nearly as much as the aformentioned bands.
    are hte great at jamming? no, not really, but they can do it, and it is good when they do.

this is what I was going to say, when you compare their "jamming" with bands you would classify as "jam bands" then pearl jam doesn't measure up. but I don't really think they are trying to be a "jam band" during songs like porch, crazy mary, RVM, etc. i think what they do fits on those songs, now if they tried turning Go into a 10 minute song, that might not be such a great idea.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    What about crazy mary I think from one of the gorge shows, and it seemed Boom would do something then Mike would copy it and Vice versa. It was cool,
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I gotta respond again here b/c I am confused abou why you like PJ live?
    The jams are a big part of why they got such a great rep for being awesome live! And the fact that they change up the set lists. I think they could put a few popular ones to bed for a few years but thats a different discussion.
    I have seen a lot of other bands who will play the same freaking set list over and over and only play the songs the exact same way everytime.
    Fuck that.....boring!
    I love Pearl Jam for who they are, what they play, and how they play it!
    Rock on boys!!!!
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • they are called pearl JAM
  • little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    I have to say I completely disagree, and I'm shocked u used RVM as ur example!! This is my favourite ever live song, not much on the studio album, but live it just blows me away!
    The 2006 tour was the first time I heard it in person and I rocked SO hard to that jam!!
    I started clapping, and according to the people I was with, so did everyone else in the arena! Hehe that's my favourite moment. I completely lose myself during that jam, incredible!
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

I'll gladly send you RVM from Acer Arena, Sydney Australia 18/11/06 to prove that the jam in this song is worthwhile.

This one is awesome!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    disagree :)

i love the ambient waffling in rvm (live), porch etc. makes even more poignant when it kicks back in. but i love instrumental music anyway, a 12min explosions in the sky epic is pretty common listening on my ipod.

as for crazy mary, i love the solo interplay of mike & boom :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73
    i think that the organ sometimes makes it sound too "circus-y." its like i'm waiting for juggling clowns to come out.

I just LOVE the circus sounding organ! What's wrong with having a circus atmosphere at a concert? :)

It reminds me of The Doors, or maybe Elvis Costello a little. Very Kewl!

My second favorite organ sound next to the gospel church sound.
  • i've always thought of PJ as a hard rock jam band, which is awesome.

even though some fans dont like that comparison.
  • fyreguy73fyreguy73 Posts: 168
    hobbes wrote:
    agree or disagree?

Opinions are like assholes, everybodies got one, but yours stinks. PPPEEEEEEWWWWOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

I wish I was the verb "to trust"
    and never let you down.

Brisbane 1, 06
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    I agree with the original poster and disagree with all the homers.

i agree with him also...to some extent.

i absolutely hate Even Flow now.

Crazy Mary in Cleveland '03 was pretty good.

RVM...depends.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • I'd stick with saving animals and let people with better ears comment on the music...

wow. how tasteful.

i wouldn't listen to many people's opinions on music from this board..
  • I gotta respond again here b/c I am confused abou why you like PJ live?
    The jams are a big part of why they got such a great rep for being awesome live! And the fact that they change up the set lists. I think they could put a few popular ones to bed for a few years but thats a different discussion.
    I have seen a lot of other bands who will play the same freaking set list over and over and only play the songs the exact same way everytime.
    Fuck that.....boring!
    I love Pearl Jam for who they are, what they play, and how they play it!
    Rock on boys!!!!

i believe pearl jam got their live reputation for being an outstanding band in a live setting. they weren't really "jamming" until later on (and by jamming i mean extended musical improvisations during songs).
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    hobbes wrote:
    i believe pearl jam got their live reputation for being an outstanding band in a live setting. they weren't really "jamming" until later on (and by jamming i mean extended musical improvisations during songs).

they are plenty of early shows where they 'kicked out the jams' and did some sweet-ass improvs...

with their catalogue being as big as it is now, i would prefer some of the jams (specifically the even flow "jam"/drum solo) to be shorter...

even that isn't really going to leave much room for another song or two unless ed cuts down on his speeches.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Put the pipe down STAT!