Options

Rail security at Brooklyn II

Comments

• Options
    its_okits_ok Posts: 198
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    yea it was bullshit. I dont think i was on the verge of dehydration but boy was i thirsty. One rail guard said he'd look backstage for water and never did. The other guy told me to go buy concession if i was thirsty. all they care about is making money and not the safety of their customers (unless you're crowd surfing off course lol)

thanks for the post

I get the concerns, but shouldn't it be someone's own responsibility to go and get themselves some water if they are so dehydrated? To me, this sounds like people would rather be on the verge of passing out rather than losing their precious spot on the rail. Seems kinda silly to me.

I agree. This is the world we live in. Blame someone else for something that is 100% our own fault.

You can't have been to too many shows where the ga crowd actually wants to not only stand still during the show but actually want to dance and create a rock n roll atmosphere. If you had you wouldn't be saying something like that. I totally agree with op that water has to be handed out. Either you have seated floor, or a proper ga setup. You do know that people have actually died during a PJ show due to poor security?
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    nobody's asking for things that other people pay for. if you want normal tap water, you may as well drink that in the bathroom for free. it's just a safety measure and some water, which is normal at most arena gigs now.
  • Options
    its_ok wrote:

I get the concerns, but shouldn't it be someone's own responsibility to go and get themselves some water if they are so dehydrated? To me, this sounds like people would rather be on the verge of passing out rather than losing their precious spot on the rail. Seems kinda silly to me.

I agree. This is the world we live in. Blame someone else for something that is 100% our own fault.

You can't have been to too many shows where the ga crowd actually wants to not only stand still during the show but actually want to dance and create a rock n roll atmosphere. If you had you wouldn't be saying something like that. I totally agree with op that water has to be handed out. Either you have seated floor, or a proper ga setup. You do know that people have actually died during a PJ show due to poor security?

Yeah...you're totally right. My bad. You obviously know more about the shows I've been to than I do.
  • Options
    helpme2helpyouhelpme2helpyou Posts: 127
    edited October 2013
    It would be nice to have water available but ultimately, isn't it the individuls responsibility to look out for themselves? I have been fortunate to be on the rail for several PJ shows, most recently Buffalo, and I make sure to stay hydrated leading up to the show, and immediately following the show. Where would the handouts stop, second row, third row...? Sounds like a nice idea in theory but I would hope adults would have the intelligence to say, "I am in a bad way, I know I need water, I have to step out."
    Post edited by helpme2helpyou on
    "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    Most GA shows do offer water up front. It's our own responsibility to stay healthy, but again, water I'm GA is pretty standard.

I will say this, at most GA pits, it's physically possible to get away from the rail, or deep in the pit.. In which case water up front is very important. With the PJ pit this tour, there has not really been a situation where it's physically impossible to move, so this is really an issue of people being to stubborn to go get water.

I also have noticed, that for a group of laid back fans, you are the most stubborn crew ever in GA. My last couple shows I didn't even try to get close to the stage, and when I went to use the bathroom, NO ONE would even turn sideways as I tried to make way back to my group.. I was looking for my spot 40+ feet back from the stage, I'm not taking your precious spot.. People at heavy metal concerts are more considerate.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,447
    mikerl wrote:

I also have noticed, that for a group of laid back fans, you are the most stubborn crew ever in GA. My last couple shows I didn't even try to get close to the stage, and when I went to use the bathroom, NO ONE would even turn sideways as I tried to make way back to my group.. I was looking for my spot 40+ feet back from the stage, I'm not taking your precious spot.. People at heavy metal concerts are more considerate.

But there are no spots in GA. What your describing is a reserved seat.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I could see water for 10club members on the rail, they are certainly more important especially if they have low numbers.

this could be a future business opportunity for the ten club, as you could order in-concert refreshments at the rail from the 10Club, kinda like how the first few rows in the baseball game can get food n drinks delivered to them

:ugeek:
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    So now there is also the problem of pouring the water in a cup. they did not allow water bottles to be taken away from the vendor. They pour the water in a cup with no lid. In case people whip the bottle at the beloved band. So if you take a cup of water to the rail there will be no water to drink by the time dehydration becomes a problem. the water will be on everyone and the floor. Along with everyone slipping on said spilled water. Above I mentioned having a water vendor near the rail, but now that I think about it...water would be more of a hazard than a help.

Really, going to bring loss of life from people getting trampled at a festival into a water issue? Totally unrelated. Security is supposed to take a person away from the "danger" If your in a dehydration crisis you need to leave and get attention.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Green GoblinGreen Goblin Philadelphia Posts: 17
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    yea it was bullshit. I dont think i was on the verge of dehydration but boy was i thirsty. One rail guard said he'd look backstage for water and never did. The other guy told me to go buy concession if i was thirsty. all they care about is making money and not the safety of their customers (unless you're crowd surfing off course lol)

thanks for the post

Exactly. If you can't hack it, then you don't get the rail. You're lucky everyone didn't treat it like a legit pit with pushing and moshing. Be happy you were on the rail and live with the consequences of what getting it requires.
    4.28.03-7.6.03-7.12.03-10.1.04-9.28.05-10.3.05-5.27.06-5.28.06-6.3.06-6.19.08-6.20.08-6.24.08-6.25.08-10.27.09-10.28.09-5.21.10-9.12.12-10.18.13-10.19.13-10.21.13-10.22.13
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    benjs wrote:
    Guess you guys missed the part where I said I'd gladly pay to have a case of water at the front for us. I'm not stupid, I don't expect favours not free water where others must pay. .
    wow you are a modern day superman. what a hero. :roll:
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:
    mikerl wrote:

But there are no spots in GA. What your describing is a reserved seat.

I agree 110%... But it does not change my opinion that people are more friendly and accomidating at an iron maiden show. I was not looking for a handout, just some common decency at THE BACK of GA

Let me rephrase, instead of "my spot", I'll say that I was looking for my sister, who I brought to the show.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    this is very important and intresting post

i wonder,they didnt have bucket or bottle of water and plastic cup between the stage and the rail??
    at europe they have always..i rememebr at that frikkin sauna at copenhagen show,i drink 20 cups!!
    and i didnt even wait in the line,i got in the venue with the last 10c memebrs at GA area..

i can understand some say,you need to think yourself and get some water alone,but the venue and the stuff must be prepared too
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dolly rockerdolly rocker Long Beach NY Posts: 345
    hey its not pj security,,pete and guys great people, real gentleman who look out for the fans
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,447
    They should have a garden hose like we used to drink out of when I was kid and it was hot outside. Or hand out damp sponges. Why do we need bottled water?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Ozzy has huge squirt guns he sprays in the audience. Can't picture Ed doing that
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,073
    If someone is at the point of dehydration, it's time for them to leave where they are and get something to drink. If they aren't able to get back to their spot, then I guess they will wind up seeing part of the show from the rail and the other part from somewhere else in the pit. Just think about the good karma by allowing someone else a turn on the rail.

Sure it would be a nice move if they were passing out water. Been to many shows and been on or close to the rail many times. Sometimes they have water for you, sometimes they don't. Adjust accordingly and make decisions with your health in mind more so than having a marginally better position to watch a concert.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    If someone is at the point of dehydration, it's time for them to leave where they are and get something to drink. If they aren't able to get back to their spot, then I guess they will wind up seeing part of the show from the rail and the other part from somewhere else in the pit. Just think about the good karma by allowing someone else a turn on the rail.

Sure it would be a nice move if they were passing out water. Been to many shows and been on or close to the rail many times. Sometimes they have water for you, sometimes they don't. Adjust accordingly and make decisions with your health in mind more so than having a marginally better position to watch a concert.

Please stop thinking logically!!
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Kathi wrote:
    :lol: it's ridiculous that there's so much outrage over this. water given out at the rail (not mineral water, just plain tap water from a big bucket) is standard at pretty much every bigger arena show in europe. as it should be. you take a sip, pass it back, everything's fine.

that being said, did they allow you to take one bottle of water per person with you like they did at wrigley? if that's the case just get one and drink it slowly during the show.

Probably not. The people that run the concession stands sign contracts with the venues in order to serve the food and drinks in the venue...hence the reason why no bottles/cans/coolers/etc are allowed in the venue...it's all about trying to make money.

Take water and lawn chairs. Return them to your car in the 30-45 minutes (whatever) before the doors open. :)

Heck, just buy a case of the cheapo store-brand bottled water and pass a few out to other people in line. Let them even sit in your chair for a bit. Karma will return to you.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    I thought this was heading into something serious.

If you've waited all day and you're in the pit... you get dehydrated... security is not there to RE-hydrate you.

You tell security "get me outta here." They help you over the barricade... you go get water.

If security is nice enough to get you water... that's fine. But it shouldn't be expected nor should it happen to begin with. I've run event security for concerts and told all of my staff NOT to provide water. They're told to look for people in distress, but not to give water to the crowd.

Before I'm attacked by "YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE!" Here's why:

1) As soon as someone gets water.. everyone wants water. That's cause for a push.

2) If m staff provides a full bottle of water, and that person throws it directly at Eddie Vedder... my company may be liable.

I know people don't like policies... but trust me.. they're in place for a reason. Idiots in our history are the reason for such rules.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Dillsnufus wrote:

thanks for the post

spoken like someone who has never been on the rail

I've been on the rail a few times for a few shows. Some outdoor festivals.. some indoor gigs. Generally you have to go to a venue early to get close.. which means you should be preparing.. drinking and what not. I've only experienced one show where I was in fear for my health... Metallica in Toronto. I didn't beg for water. I hopped over the barrier... got a drink.. and went to the back of the pit. It's that simple.

Everyone's entitled.. but the reality is.. you need to take care of yourself in these situations. To me it isn't reasonable to expect water at the rail at a GA show. In a perfect world... sure. But we don't live in a perfect world. Deal with it.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    This thread is just a reminder to me of what a me world we live in today. Our problems are always because of somebody else. There is no personal responsibility anymore.

"I wasn't dehydrated, but boy was I thirsty"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Security didn't even provide us with chairs... We were standing in line for 10 hours straight! I mean....we could've collapsed!!!!!!! Gimme a break.
  • Options
    This thread is just a reminder to me of what a me world we live in today. Our problems are always because of somebody else. There is no personal responsibility anymore.

"I wasn't dehydrated, but boy was I thirsty"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Security didn't even provide us with chairs... We were standing in line for 10 hours straight! I mean....we could've collapsed!!!!!!! Gimme a break.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:
    They should have a garden hose like we used to drink out of when I was kid and it was hot outside. Or hand out damp sponges. Why do we need bottled water?
    thats exactly i see in alot of venues at europe..they have gardeb hose and refiel the big buckets so they can put water in plastic cups..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    hey its not pj security,,pete and guys great people, real gentleman who look out for the fans
    yeah,in the venue,the fans are responsibility of venue security,the band secutity has nothing to do with that..
    for exable exept protecting the band, their guys will search for someone taping with pro camera and things like that..and thats why the security of the band in inside the barrier at the side of stage and not all over the venue,
    and always at GA entrance of the fan club and not the rest of the gates..the venue security is the one has the responsibility in the venue
  • Options
    Maybe it is time for people to re-evaluate priorities about putting there own physical health above being on the fucking rail?!?

People feel entitled because "they" put themselves in a situation!? Rather then taking care of themselves and maybe just watching the show somewhere else!? You're still in GA.

Sorry, just have read so many posts here about the whole "rail" mentality and it is just so extreme. Would Security giving water to someone be a nice and courteous human gesture? Yes, of course it would.

However, shouldn't stepping away under your own power be one as well if it is for your own good?

I can't help but agree with this mentality. If you are suffering at the rail, please know enough to leave and find relief. To expect security to have your back is kinda ridiculous.

I remember being near the mosh pit at a Chili Pepper show back in the mid-90s. I started having a panic attack. So I left, which is the obvious - and healthy - thing to do!

And yes - the mentality that we "should be taken care of" is a huge reflection on society today, and the lack of personal responsibility.
  • Options
    For all those who are acting like this is some sort or ridiculous request,
    this actually used to be standard practice at PJ shows.
    I remember 90s shows and thinking, "damn, pearl jam REALLY sprung for the water" because not only was there water for the crowds, it was being thrown out by the truck load. Just bottles everywhere.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    For all those who are acting like this is some sort or ridiculous request,
    this actually used to be standard practice at PJ shows.
    I remember 90s shows and thinking, "damn, pearl jam REALLY sprung for the water" because not only was there water for the crowds, it was being thrown out by the truck load. Just bottles everywhere.

I didn't know this, but at the same time, to *expect* a band to supply water, still, in my mind, is ridiculous carelessness for thyself.
  • Options
    PJ51390PJ51390 Atlanta Posts: 728
    Dillsnufus wrote:

thanks for the post

Agree 100% Since when is it the security and band's job to take care of the fans that have chosen to stand all day in an effort to be on the rail?
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    i wasnt on the rail for brk I but i was 1 or 2 people back, close enough...i went to boys room, bought beer, chugged it and went back to my spot.
    i let everyone know i was heading up for potty and refreshments and would be back, those around me and those i passed on the way out. its better to smile and dance your way out and back. people will remember you and allow you to pass.
    i guess this wasnt an option brk II...dont know i ended up in the back corner sec 20
  • Options
    its_okits_ok Posts: 198
    on2legs wrote:
    thats exactly i see in alot of venues at europe..they have gardeb hose and refiel the big buckets so they can put water in plastic cups..

GA is just a totally different thing in the us and Europe. I think that's why people here think it's so crazy with handing out water, it's not really needed like it is in the euro shows where people have been waiting longer for good spots and are also a lot more excited during the shows. Hence bigger need for water and well prepared security.
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2