Options

Rail security at Brooklyn II

benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
edited October 2013 in Given To Fly (live)
On the topic of the staff, by the rail I witnessed something less than ideal from the security on the other side, and maybe should lead to some new precedents on the band's part.

Sure, some of us have seen the tour rider discussing how many bottles of wine, what kind, soda water requirements, etc. that each band member requires, but now that GA is happening, you have a good 40-100 people at each show who have been standing for literally hours.

I was next to a guy who I was convinced was about to pass out of dehydration at the rail. He asked the security guard walking back and forth once about water. The security guard nodded. Then again. He mumbled something and headed out where it seemed he had said he was going to find a bottle. From that point forward, the security guard purposely avoided eye contact with this guy each time he walked by (and he walked by a lot). This is not just rude - this is a health and safety issue. Please, Pearl Jam management, a case of water to distribute as requested by the fans would cost maybe $10 and save people a lot of grief. Hell, if I thought security would've helped I'd have gladly paid before the show started.
'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 647
    Rail or Die man...Rail....Wrong, Honk!!!!
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    Post of the year for me. Very important issue.Thanks for bringing that up benjs.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    I was at an English Beat show a couple of years ago at Irving Plaza and it was very hot. Halfway through the show Dave Wakeling ( super nice guy) stopped the show and got cases of water from the back and started passing it into the crowd!

Of course, a much smaller place than an arena, but an incredibly thoughtful act.
  • Options
    Edved007Edved007 Milwaukee, WI Posts: 1,021
    Totally agree this should happen. I was on the rail in Missoula last year and the staff was outstanding. They had cups they filled and handed out full of water the whole show, venues should take a play out of that book. Double bonus, I was the only one smart enough to hold onto my cup and got some wine from Ed.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    yea it was bullshit. I dont think i was on the verge of dehydration but boy was i thirsty. One rail guard said he'd look backstage for water and never did. The other guy told me to go buy concession if i was thirsty. all they care about is making money and not the safety of their customers (unless you're crowd surfing off course lol)

thanks for the post
  • Options
    PA-RVMPA-RVM Posts: 158
    benjs wrote:
    On the topic of the staff, by the rail I witnessed something less than ideal from the security on the other side, and maybe should lead to some new precedents on the band's part.

Sure, some of us have seen the tour rider discussing how many bottles of wine, what kind, soda water requirements, etc. that each band member requires, but now that GA is happening, you have a good 40-100 people at each show who have been standing for literally hours.

I was next to a guy who I was convinced was about to pass out of dehydration at the rail. He asked the security guard walking back and forth once about water. The security guard nodded. Then again. He mumbled something and headed out where it seemed he had said he was going to find a bottle. From that point forward, the security guard purposely avoided eye contact with this guy each time he walked by (and he walked by a lot). This is not just rude - this is a health and safety issue. Please, Pearl Jam management, a case of water to distribute as requested by the fans would cost maybe $10 and save people a lot of grief. Hell, if I thought security would've helped I'd have gladly paid before the show started.
    Good call!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    yea it was bullshit. I dont think i was on the verge of dehydration but boy was i thirsty. One rail guard said he'd look backstage for water and never did. The other guy told me to go buy concession if i was thirsty. all they care about is making money and not the safety of their customers (unless you're crowd surfing off course lol)

thanks for the post

I get the concerns, but shouldn't it be someone's own responsibility to go and get themselves some water if they are so dehydrated? To me, this sounds like people would rather be on the verge of passing out rather than losing their precious spot on the rail. Seems kinda silly to me.
  • Options
    Maybe it is time for people to re-evaluate priorities about putting there own physical health above being on the fucking rail?!?

People feel entitled because "they" put themselves in a situation!? Rather then taking care of themselves and maybe just watching the show somewhere else!? You're still in GA.

Sorry, just have read so many posts here about the whole "rail" mentality and it is just so extreme. Would Security giving water to someone be a nice and courteous human gesture? Yes, of course it would.

However, shouldn't stepping away under your own power be one as well if it is for your own good?
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230

I get the concerns, but shouldn't it be someone's own responsibility to go and get themselves some water if they are so dehydrated? To me, this sounds like people would rather be on the verge of passing out rather than losing their precious spot on the rail. Seems kinda silly to me.

correct
  • Options
    Dillsnufus wrote:

thanks for the post

I agree. This is the world we live in. Blame someone else for something that is 100% our own fault.
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    Maybe it is time for people to re-evaluate priorities about putting there own physical health above being on the fucking rail?!?

People feel entitled because "they" put themselves in a situation!? Rather then taking care of themselves and maybe just watching the show somewhere else!? You're still in GA.

Sorry, just have read so many posts here about the whole "rail" mentality and it is just so extreme. Would Security giving water to someone be a nice and courteous human gesture? Yes, of course it would.

However, shouldn't stepping away under your own power be one as well if it is for your own good?

seriously. so I'm in my seat rocking out just as hard, if I'm dying of thirst I have to go to concession to pay out the ass for a bottle of water. but no, the almighty rail fans are above it all - they deserve for free what the rest of us peons must pay for!

the arrogance and self-rightousness is amazing. not to mention, like you said, the massively skewed priorities
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    I'd expect for security guards to have water and also to try to help anyone in need. But I would never make plans to just receive water every time I planted myself on the rail for a show.

It seems pretty selfish and careless to let yourself get to the point of dehydration just to stay up front. Take water with you, and drink it wisely throughout the show so you don't have to pee 'til the end!
  • Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    Did any fans around this "so called dehydrated guy," offer him anything to drink? Probably not.

If you can't handle the rail, stay off it.
    If you have a weak bladder, stay off it.
    If you are stupid enough to show up to the rail at doors open, til end of show with nothing to drink, stay off it.

There is no difference between someone on the rail and someone in the nosebleed section. Go get something to drink :roll:

If this guy really needed help, he would have asked for it, but he didn't want to lose his place on the rail and end up in the first aid room.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    rtwilli4 wrote:
    Take water with you, and drink it wisely throughout the show so you don't have to pee 'til the end!

Whoa, slow down. You're making too much sense. Do you seriously expect me to be responsible for my own actions and decisions? Its much easier to expect all our rail needs to be catered to by security guards.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    :lol: it's ridiculous that there's so much outrage over this. water given out at the rail (not mineral water, just plain tap water from a big bucket) is standard at pretty much every bigger arena show in europe. as it should be. you take a sip, pass it back, everything's fine.

that being said, did they allow you to take one bottle of water per person with you like they did at wrigley? if that's the case just get one and drink it slowly during the show.
  • Options
    Did any fans around this "so called dehydrated guy," offer him anything to drink? Probably not.

If you are stupid enough to show up to the rail at doors open, til end of show with nothing to drink, stay off it.

There is no difference between someone on the rail and someone in the nosebleed section. Go get something to drink :roll:

If this guy really needed help, he would have asked for it, but he didn't want to lose his place on the rail and end up in the first aid room.

thanks, dick
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    Dillsnufus wrote:

thanks for the post

spoken like someone who has never been on the rail
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options

thanks, dick

no problem, dick
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    should have the hose out and spraying the mosh pit like in the old days
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    you can tell the posters here who weren't at this show on the rail , i wasn't on the rail but i agree with Benjs is it to much to have some fucking water to hand out holy shit people here think the poster is asking for burgers& wings & to say just go and get yourself some water would you leave that spot for some water ? ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Ok, they could have a vendor sell water for people at the rail. That would be fair to everyone involved. Otherwise I agree with having to take care of yourself. Sorry.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    Ok, they could have a vendor sell water for people at the rail. That would be fair to everyone involved. Otherwise I agree with having to take care of yourself. Sorry.

Great idea :thumbup:
  • Options

Oh give me a fucking break. So the security guards are out of line for not getting people water???? If you let yourself get to the point of nearly passing out and don't get yourself some water just to save your spot on the rail, you are out of your fucking mind.

And I have been on the rail before. And every time I had to give up my spot because I needed some water or I had to take a piss.
  • Options
    you can tell the posters here who weren't at this show on the rail , i wasn't on the rail but i agree with Benjs is it to much to have some fucking water to hand out holy shit people here think the poster is asking for burgers& wings & to say just go and get yourself some water would you leave that spot for some water ? ...

Yes. I would leave that spot to get some water. That's just common sense.
  • Options
    LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    Dillsnufus wrote:

thanks for the post

I've been on the rail since before you were born. Back in my day people dressed up to be on the rail. It was an event with great food and polite service. Oh wait, that's air travel. Never mind. Carry on.
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Guess you guys missed the part where I said I'd gladly pay to have a case of water at the front for us. I'm not stupid, I don't expect favours not free water where others must pay. I brought a water bottle in hopes they'd let me carry it in with no such luck. Had I been allowed in, you'd better believe I'd be sipping conservatively and sharing abundantly. The way some of you are responding, it's as if I asked for a brick of gold for being up front. To those of you who understand, thank you, and to those of you who don't, such is life.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    Same people on this board getting into "situations" :lol:

Man the fuck up

No one is forcing you to be there.... And yea I've been in front a handful of times. My fanatic ass is responsible for myself, how bout that
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    Guess you guys missed the part where I said I'd gladly pay to have a case of water at the front for us. I'm not stupid, I don't expect favours not free water where others must pay. I brought a water bottle in hopes they'd let me carry it in with no such luck. Had I been allowed in, you'd better believe I'd be sipping conservatively and sharing abundantly. The way some of you are responding, it's as if I asked for a brick of gold for being up front. To those of you who understand, thank you, and to those of you who don't, such is life.

I've been on the rail twice this tour. I also had the foresight to know once I was in, I was in and prepared accordingly. Were you surprised once you got in there and couldn't get water? Were you expecting water to be handed to once you were on the rail? If so, that's a you problem; if not, then you pretty much got what you expected.
  • Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    I think if you're just thirsty then yea maybe you're not entitled to water that other people pay for. But if you're showing signs of possible dehydration , is a cup of water too much to ask?

I don't think rail people are entitled over seat people but if you leave the rail for anything the chance of getting your spot back is slim and like ed said last night he doesn't want fights to happen ever again.
  • Options
    I could see water for 10club members on the rail, they are certainly more important especially if they have low numbers.