Options

''dad band''

13»

Comments

• Options
    gorga14gorga14 Posts: 103
    Also keep in mind that they are dads now. And also not angry broke twenty somethings anymore. In my opinion what makes these veteran bands great is that they evolve and reflect on the now. We already have ten. We don't need another ten. I personally believe that these new songs give us an insight on what's happening in their lives now. Better to evolve into a "dad band" than be sad and living in the past...

Having said that, as a relatively younger fan I enjoyed this album immensely. And songs like pendulum very much remind me of old pj. The first time I heard it it reminded me of how I felt the first time I heard immortality. I'm happy with lightning bolt. More than happy.
  • Options
    Last couple of albums there is an immense number of songs that are sung very monotone. It's like a drone.

There are some songs that show more range but, for the most part are just blah.

I consider PJ like the Stones, springsteen and the like.

Yes, Dad band...
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    you should hate your parents' music just cause they like it? I'm sorry but I'm no longer 15 and I fear my rebellion phase is over. :lol:
    if you can share passion about music with someone, it's always great, regardless if it's a friend, a parent, or just a complete stranger you meet at a show. I loved taking my parents to the who this summer, was great to share that experience with them. my dad drove me to a lot of shows when I was young, most of those he attended with me, so he got into "my" bands and I ended up checking out his old records. he's never disregarded or ridiculed my passion for music, which I can't say about a lot of other people (the community of crazies excluded of course ;) ).
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    you should hate your parents' music just cause they like it? I'm sorry but I'm no longer 15 and I fear my rebellion phase is over. :lol:
    if you can share passion about music with someone, it's always great, regardless if it's a friend, a parent, or just a complete stranger you meet at a show. I loved taking my parents to the who this summer, was great to share that experience with them. my dad drove me to a lot of shows when I was young, most of those he attended with me, so he got into "my" bands and I ended up checking out his old records. he's never disregarded or ridiculed my passion for music, which I can't say about a lot of other people (the community of crazies excluded of course ;) ).

I couldn't agree more. My dad and I have nothing in common other than music. This is the thing that bonds us. My dad also happens to have badass taste in music. And for an immigrant Cypriot man in his fifties that's saying a lot. If i hated music he likes for the sake of being a "rebel" I'd lose and miss out on bands like pink Floyd and queen and the who and foreigner and the list goes on. If anything I'm super jealous he saw them all live and in their prime.

My dad said (the first time I played him pjs version of love reign o'er me) "who is this? This is better!" Followed by q conversation about who he saw in concert when he was my age.... I got jealous. Dads rule. And dad bands rule too if that's how were judging music now. Just saying haha
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    gorga14 wrote:
    Kathi wrote:

I couldn't agree more. My dad and I have nothing in common other than music. This is the thing that bonds us. My dad also happens to have badass taste in music. And for an immigrant Cypriot man in his fifties that's saying a lot. If i hated music he likes for the sake of being a "rebel" I'd lose and miss out on bands like pink Floyd and queen and the who and foreigner and the list goes on. If anything I'm super jealous he saw them all live and in their prime.

My dad said (the first time I played him pjs version of love reign o'er me) "who is this? This is better!" Followed by q conversation about who he saw in concert when he was my age.... I got jealous. Dads rule. And dad bands rule too if that's how were judging music now. Just saying haha

I took my old man to the Who this summer as well. It is his favorite band and hasn't seen them in almost 30 years! One of the highlights of my life. If my folks didn't have an awesome vinyl collection who knows where I'd be? I don't get this dudes thinking.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    oysterjar wrote:
    gorga14 wrote:
    Kathi wrote:

I took my old man to the Who this summer as well. It is his favorite band and hasn't seen them in almost 30 years! One of the highlights of my life. If my folks didn't have an awesome vinyl collection who knows where I'd be? I don't get this dudes thinking.

You'd be like my 15 year old sister. Listening to Drake and kesha. I had to step in and introduce her to music that's actually MUSIC. pearl jam has given my little sister and I ,who are 14 years apart, something real to connect and bond over. She likes to write and Ed's lyrics really resonate with her. Guy who posted about hating your parents music, I think that thinking was cool in the 90's because quality music was readily available then. That's not the case now. Its OUR responsibility to introduce these kids and future musicians to art that can inspire them. I hate ranting but I really believe this. They'll never know about it if someone doesn't show them. Especially in ny. We don't currently have a great rock station anymore. Musicians can only do so much. Its the fans that make it immortal. But what do I know?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    Well if the dads are listening to PJ and the kids are listening to the easy listening pop spew I hear at work from the 20 somethings I work with with then I'll take the 'Dad Band'.
  • Options
    I took my mum to see Roger Waters perform The Wall a few weeks ago. She's a huge Pink Floyd fan and they mean to her what Pearl Jam mean to me. I grew up with Floyd in the house almost every weekend. Fuck my mum's Black Sabbath's first album LP was one of the first and greatest musical experiences of my life. If I ever have kids believe me they'll be exposed to all sorts from Classical to Jazz to Heavy Metal. Why you wouldn't want to have that kind of connection is beyond me.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    gorga14 wrote:
    Kathi wrote:

Hehe, my dad now prefers PJ's version of baba...he says there's more passion in it when they play it. :) He didn't really get to see any bands when he was young (I think deep purple was his only show), cause he lived in my shithole hometown where nobody ever comes close by, and travel wasn't quite as easy back then. Made it all the more special to take him to the Who with me...40 years after quadrophenia, he finally got to see them live.

yeah, the more music I listen to, the more "old" bands I discover and really like...there's nothing like it in the contemporary music scene. I think Ed defined a lot of nowadays' popular music as "high fructose" in a recent interview, and he's spot on with that judgement.
  • Options
    Here's another thought... if dads didn't introduce there kids to their music then how would pearl jam be able to sell out stadiums 20+ years later? Ill answer that... they wouldn't. I saw Alice in chains last month at jones beach and there were more empty seats than filled. It made me sad. Pearl Jam releases quality music that may or may not be everyone's cup of tea but its being passed down to the next generation. This means we will get 10 more albums bc the next generation wants it. Maybe my sister will find a song like I did when I found I am mine that could change her present life and put her on the path she wants to be on. Music is one of the only things in mu opinion with that kind of power.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,467
    Mary, that is short for Marcus.

All u do is call me a Fascist and a couple other names. Your annoying brother. Great, u live a awesome alternative lifestyle. Wow, we are all impressed. Just stop being a pain in the arse and if you dont like PJ's new album, thats fine but you keep digging and putting them down. Your just causing trouble. My recommendations is go put on a rad NIN cd from 1994 and go travel ireland being Alternative. Cool?

Quit feeding the trolls, you crazy rabbit!
  • Options
    The "dad music" stuff is what they do best, been like that since Binaural. So what's the problem?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    gorga14 wrote:
    You'd be like my 15 year old sister. Listening to Drake and kesha. I had to step in and introduce her to music that's actually MUSIC. pearl jam has given my little sister and I ,who are 14 years apart, something real to connect and bond over. She likes to write and Ed's lyrics really resonate with her. Guy who posted about hating your parents music, I think that thinking was cool in the 90's because quality music was readily available then. That's not the case now. Its OUR responsibility to introduce these kids and future musicians to art that can inspire them. I hate ranting but I really believe this. They'll never know about it if someone doesn't show them. Especially in ny. We don't currently have a great rock station anymore. Musicians can only do so much. Its the fans that make it immortal. But what do I know?

Ya it's scary to think about. I remember New rock playing on the radio in the early 90's but now it's all pop or c-RAP. That's a cool thing to share with your sister.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    DewieCox wrote:
    We can debate on the quality for the rest of our lives, but there's no way in hell their music is more complex now than it was from Ten-S/T. LB is a step back in the right direction on that front, but I'm still hearing alot of pretty simple things musically.

Word. I think the layering is being confused for complexity.

to the OP...you'll get over it. Coldplay is soft, PJ is not.

and lastly. "Dad rock" is the most irritating made up sub genre since GRUNGE.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    we know allready you don't dig the new album that's fine , i can't wait to see this dad band next week here in BRKLYN & HARTFORD are you coming here for the shows :P

Dad rock is just a horrible concept for me. I'm not into the whole dad son rock concert bonding thing, I'm of the notion your parents should hate your music and you should hate your parents music. When the two start to collide it never turns out good. No man I'll wait untill them come over here. enjoy

Either you joined the 10 club when you were 8 or you're not actually 17-years-old now but this comment leads me to believe you're not a day older than that. Do you buy $20 "Anarchy" t-shirts from Hot Topic, too?
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    DewieCox wrote:
    We can debate on the quality for the rest of our lives, but there's no way in hell their music is more complex now than it was from Ten-S/T. LB is a step back in the right direction on that front, but I'm still hearing alot of pretty simple things musically.

I disagree with it being a layering issue 100%. I think of it this way: take a group of talented musicians and have them learn to cover Ten and Lightning Bolt. I feel strongly that Lightning Bolt would take longer. If nothing else their increase in changes and progressiveness is a function of Matt Cameron. Ask any drummer if Backspacer is a simple album to learn.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    Yes Way wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I disagree with it being a layering issue 100%. I think of it this way: take a group of talented musicians and have them learn to cover Ten and Lightning Bolt. I feel strongly that Lightning Bolt would take longer. If nothing else their increase in changes and progressiveness is a function of Matt Cameron. Ask any drummer if Backspacer is a simple album to learn.

I think LB sounds to multi tracked there is a lot of layers on those songs and the piano and keyboard parts to me are very cheesey
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    WhyGo91 wrote:
    we know allready you don't dig the new album that's fine , i can't wait to see this dad band next week here in BRKLYN & HARTFORD are you coming here for the shows :P

Dad rock is just a horrible concept for me. I'm not into the whole dad son rock concert bonding thing, I'm of the notion your parents should hate your music and you should hate your parents music. When the two start to collide it never turns out good. No man I'll wait untill them come over here. enjoy

Wow man, that's a warped point of view. My dad and I have such a strong relationship BECAUSE we bond so heavily over music. He's the one who got me into bands like PJ, Soundgarden, and Zeppelin. I in turn got him into bands like Cage the Elephant, BRMC, and The Strokes. I feel sorry for you if you ever have kids, or if you already have them. Damn...

I agree.

I'm 40, and my sons are 17 and 18. They listen to some newer bands, but dig all the stuff from my era (PJ, Soundgarden, AIC, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, etc.) as well as the classics like Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, etc. I think being a musician has something to do with it as well. My older son plays guitar, and often plays with me and my band. He prefers 60's-90's music much more than anything new. About the only new stuff he likes is Jack White, The Heavy, Dead Weather, or new material by older artists. Like WhyGo91, music is something that has bonded us on another level.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Yes Way wrote:

I haven't had the chance to learn anything off of LB, but I could sit and learn almost all of Backspacer in an afternoon. There are tunes from every other album that would still give me headaches and would take time really perfecting. A lot of alternate tunings and interesting timing things, not to mention some pretty balls out lead playing that I could never get a handle on.

Like I said! LB has a little more complexity in a few songs, but 75% sounds simpler than most of the S/T and earlier material.

I'm not trying to equate complexity with quality, but in a lot of examples with PJ, that could most definitely be case for my taste.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    edited December 2018
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited December 2018
    Are dads really that awkward with each other? :lol:

FWIW, I kind of agree with the OP of this thread. LB totally does sound like dad rock, which is a hilarious term, and people shouldn't take it too seriously, lol. Dad rock/dad bands probably means different things to different people. I can't believe what a hard time the poor OP got, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata