Options

''dad band''

Marcus MaximusMarcus Maximus Posts: 282
edited October 2013 in The Porch
I hope this is tongue and cheek although that is kinda the vibe of the new album, as a younger fan I prefer the 90s vibe and of course I'm not saying to regress in sound but I never thought they would turn into soft rock dad band. Still wouldn't miss a live show when it swings round they still got it live at least that is a cert.

http://www.nme.com/news/pearl-jam/73173 ... n=pearljam
Speaking as a child of the 90's
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    we know allready you don't dig the new album that's fine , i can't wait to see this dad band next week here in BRKLYN & HARTFORD are you coming here for the shows :P
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    I really think that they've matured and become more complex musically, and I'm happy with it (even though I'm a dad, so what do I know?). I think any "softness" is a product of the production of the album, and much like Backspacer the songs will have a ton more punch live. I can't wait.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    we know allready you don't dig the new album that's fine , i can't wait to see this dad band next week here in BRKLYN & HARTFORD are you coming here for the shows :P

Dad rock is just a horrible concept for me. I'm not into the whole dad son rock concert bonding thing, I'm of the notion your parents should hate your music and you should hate your parents music. When the two start to collide it never turns out good. No man I'll wait untill them come over here. enjoy
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    Yes Way wrote:
    I really think that they've matured and become more complex musically, and I'm happy with it (even though I'm a dad, so what do I know?). I think any "softness" is a product of the production of the album, and much like Backspacer the songs will have a ton more punch live. I can't wait.

Agreed on all points, though I will say the album version of Lightning Bolt (the song) was much better than Wrigley... but hey that was a debut.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Pretty sure he meant they'd be a band consisting of dad's that play together on the weekends, etc.

Or maybe PJ is Dad Rock now... I'm a dad and I like PJ.
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    Whywhyzed wrote:
    Yes Way wrote:

Agreed on all points, though I will say the album version of Lightning Bolt (the song) was much better than Wrigley... but hey that was a debut.

Yeah, I think something was wrong there. Remember, Got Some wasn't very good on Conan, but that quickly became one of my concert favorites from that album. And the first time I saw Life Wasted I was underwhelmed, but then it crushed from then on out. Sometimes it takes them a few times to get it right.

For what it's worth, I think that Why Go is better now than it's ever been. I like that they (mostly: see State of Love and Trust) seem to try to bring more intensity to the songs as time goes on.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639

Dad rock is just a horrible concept for me. I'm not into the whole dad son rock concert bonding thing, I'm of the notion your parents should hate your music and you should hate your parents music. When the two start to collide it never turns out good. No man I'll wait untill them come over here. enjoy

Wow man, that's a warped point of view. My dad and I have such a strong relationship BECAUSE we bond so heavily over music. He's the one who got me into bands like PJ, Soundgarden, and Zeppelin. I in turn got him into bands like Cage the Elephant, BRMC, and The Strokes. I feel sorry for you if you ever have kids, or if you already have them. Damn...
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    jvoorheesjvoorhees Langley, BC Posts: 199
    Im so looking forward to taking my son to a PJ concert in the near future... He'll be just barely a year old when PJ is in Vancouver/Seattle... so figure that's a tad to young... the little dude would have to wear some serious ear muffs to protect his ears :D
    05/11/2000, Vancouver, BC
    05/30/2003, Vancouver, BC
    09/01/2005, The Gorge
    09/02/2005, Vancouver, BC
    07/22/2006, The Gorge
    09/25/2009, Vancouver, BC
    09/25/2011, Vancouver, BC
    12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC
    12/06/2013, Seattle, WA
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,123
    im not a dad( at least not to my knowledge) and I like them

a bunch
  • Options
    WhyGo91 wrote:

Wow man, that's a warped point of view. My dad and I have such a strong relationship BECAUSE we bond so heavily over music. He's the one who got me into bands like PJ, Soundgarden, and Zeppelin. I in turn got him into bands like Cage the Elephant, BRMC, and The Strokes. I feel sorry for you if you ever have kids, or if you already have them. Damn...
    That's cool, not that I don't get on with my parents but I find it reassuring if I have a new band on they complain means at least it's contemporary and progressive
    I don't have kids, I don't want kids I'm not into them at all and I wouldn't want to be one of those people that thinks they have to bring kids into this world it's better for everyone if a person really wants to bring up a child. I know I don't.
  • Options
    As I a was a teen when 10 was released they've progressed as a band as I have. Now as a dad it's nice to be able to listen to something that 1) is suitable for young ears 2) isn't pop crap 3) you can chill out & have some beers over. On the flip side if I feel like I need some aggression I can put on some of the earlier stuff & drink like I'm young & pay for it the next day. I'll be playing that card tomorrow in Buffalo as this dad gets rocked by PJ.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    got some wasn't good on Conan? that's news to this dad.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure what "dad rock" means, but I know that if you don't want to listen to it, you might choose a different band to obsess over than the one that consists of a bunch of middle-aged dads. I know I wasn't listening to whatever David Crosby was putting out when I was 16...I was listening to Pearl Jam. Now I'm old, and a dad...and wow...I still relate to their music.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    We can debate on the quality for the rest of our lives, but there's no way in hell their music is more complex now than it was from Ten-S/T. LB is a step back in the right direction on that front, but I'm still hearing alot of pretty simple things musically.
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,123
    Actually, my teenage daughters were calling Pearl Jam a dad band years ago. This new album leaves no doubt.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    DewieCox wrote:
    We can debate on the quality for the rest of our lives, but there's no way in hell their music is more complex now than it was from Ten-S/T. LB is a step back in the right direction on that front, but I'm still hearing alot of pretty simple things musically.

Maybe, but I've found (this is IMO of course) that complexity has zero bearing on enjoyment. This coming from a huge lifelong Rush fan,and people are constantly telling me that I'll love all these other proggy bands (Dream Theatre, etc), but I find them completely unlistenable. I dont wanna think, I wanna feel
  • Options
    I'm not really sure what "dad rock" means, but I know that if you don't want to listen to it, you might choose a different band to obsess over than the one that consists of a bunch of middle-aged dads. I know I wasn't listening to whatever David Crosby was putting out when I was 16...I was listening to Pearl Jam. Now I'm old, and a dad...and wow...I still relate to their music.

I don't obsess over any band I don't think that's healthy it clouds your judgment. There are plenty of guys round the age of PJ making contemporary music.
  • Options
    The original Marcus kid is just a trouble maker. He has been bashing this record and pj all week. Dude, we get it. U love NIN. Your just an annoying trouble maker. Go to NIN website and post how great they are. You sound just like a punk who is just trying to piss people off. Plus I didn't know dad bands made songs like MYM. Go listen to Trent and his computer make music and get off this board unless you have something positive to say. I'm all for debates and different opinions but your just a trouble maker who is being annoying. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    edited October 2013
    this whole quote is taken waaaay out of context. Matt said it...the topic was what if you had to start as a band today...blah, blah,blah..."We'd probably be a Dad Band"
    Post edited by pjradio on
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    edited October 2013
    They said "if they started a band NOW" that is a key part of the answer. :roll:

"the band said that if they were to do anything different if they started the band now, they would just be a 'dad band'. Eddie Vedder jokingly added: "I can only practice once a week, after 8 o'clock, after the kids are in bed; maybe Thursdays after the carpool." "

These guys were and never will be a "dad band".
    Post edited by ItIsAllAboutPJ on
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229

Come back to me when you've become a Dad and have children of your own. I bet by that time you're views will have changed a little bit. I know this because I used to think the same thing myself but now that I'm older and much wiser I realize it's my responsibility to show my child what real music is.

RM
  • Options
    They said "if they started a band NOW" that is a key part of the answer. :roll:

"the band said that if they were to do anything different if they started the band now, they would just be a 'dad band'. Eddie Vedder jokingly added: "I can only practice once a week, after 8 o'clock, after the kids are in bed; maybe Thursdays after the carpool." "

These guy were and never will be a "dad band".

yep
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options

Come back to me when you've become a Dad and have children of your own. I bet by that time you're views will have changed a little bit. I know this because I used to think the same thing myself but now that I'm older and much wiser I realize it's my responsibility to show my child what real music is.

RM

Dude I can't stand children I never want to be lumbered with them and god help any child that I was made responsible for.
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Actually, my teenage daughters were calling Pearl Jam a dad band years ago. This new album leaves no doubt.
    Funny, I am calling them a teenage GIRLS band now!!!
  • Options
    The original Marcus kid is just a trouble maker. He has been bashing this record and pj all week. Dude, we get it. U love NIN. Your just an annoying trouble maker. Go to NIN website and post how great they are. You sound just like a punk who is just trying to piss people off. Plus I didn't know dad bands made songs like MYM. Go listen to Trent and his computer make music and get off this board unless you have something positive to say. I'm all for debates and different opinions but your just a trouble maker who is being annoying. Just my opinion.

Still a fascist I see telling people get out because they have a different opinion than you, I am not trying to piss people off you are becoming pissed off due to you sycophancy. Now calm down and if you don't like the topic just don't reply or reply in a debating fashion and stop getting personal. The thread is in relation to an article in the nme where they called themselves a 'dad band' a reference that I find disconcerting that's all. Also if you knew anything about NIN you would know they are phenomenal musicians and trying to make out that they are somehow inferior as they make 'computer music' is ignorant. All music is made on computers it maybe you don't like a synth sound or electronic drum beats.
  • Options
    i'm sorry, maybe i'm wrong, but music is just music to me. i don't care if it was made last week or tomorrow or 100 years ago. i like what i like when i hear it. there isn't much that's more stupid than saying "i won't listen to that. it's so last month". it's almost as bad as "i won't listen to that because so-and-so or such-and-such people listen to it". unfortunately i have come across too many people who live by that.
    Providence 07-15-1991 Warwick 11-13-1991 Mansfield 08-08-1992
    Boston 04-12-1994 Mansfield 09-16-1998 Mansfield 07-03-2003 Mansfield 06-30-2008
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Marcus i really feel sorry for you ....Wisdom will come to you one day down the road for now enjoy the darkness ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    I hope this is tongue and cheek although that is kinda the vibe of the new album, as a younger fan I prefer the 90s vibe and of course I'm not saying to regress in sound but I never thought they would turn into soft rock dad band. Still wouldn't miss a live show when it swings round they still got it live at least that is a cert.

http://www.nme.com/news/pearl-jam/73173 ... n=pearljam

Gary-Coleman-Confused-Gif-On-Diffrent-Strokes.gif
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Marcus i really feel sorry for you ....Wisdom will come to you one day down the road for now enjoy the darkness ...

remember when fans had a sense of humor, jose?
  • Options
    fascist...people still use that term?
    aqo2t.jpg