Vs HAPPY 20th ANNIVERSARY

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
edited October 2013 in The Porch
anything and everything about Vs, your experiences and feelings about the album I rank as my favorite
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    VS > TEN
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    What's the over/under on how many songs from VS are played on 10/19 in Brooklyn?
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • JB128716 wrote:
    What's the over/under on how many songs from VS are played on 10/19 in Brooklyn?
    it would be awesome if they play the full album, have like a 31 song setlist, this year is their first time to play Brooklyn as well
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    have been asking to play full albums for 5 years now. its time
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I'd be happy if they came out with Go and Animal and Blood.

Three songs I love and have never heard live. Fingers crossed.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • JB128716 wrote:
    I'd be happy if they came out with Go and Animal and Blood.

Three songs I love and have never heard live. Fingers crossed.
    all great songs
  • JB128716 wrote:
    it would be awesome if they play the full album, have like a 31 song setlist, this year is their first time to play Brooklyn as well

I would have no problem with that! :twisted:
    It's still one of these albums i can hear without skipping.
  • foodboy wrote:
    have been asking to play full albums for 5 years now. its time
    :thumbup:
  • calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
    JB128716 wrote:

That'd be cool, the full album, open with Go and close with Indifference, and open with Release the second night!
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
    11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
    10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
    10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
    10/21/13 Philly 1
    10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
    10/25/13 Hartford
    10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
  • oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
    My favorite album. I hope to hear a lot of Vs this tour.

Wind this thing up.

• Vs. is the album that took me from the place of "Pearl Jam - Ten. Its fucking phenomenal and I can't stop listening to it, but for all we know the second album will be shit." to "Holy fucking shit. I think i'm going to love this band forever". It's hard to explain. Looking back I was clearly mildly obsessed with Ten. But it never clicked for me that i LOVED pearl jam. When I heard Vs. i KNEW.

I remember my friend telling me it had just come out (i was kinda clueless about "the scene" etc, hell it was 8th grade) and I just stopped. I think we were in between classes, he was trying to continue to his. I grabbed the back of his shoulder, and made him stop. I was like, "tell me about it! What are the songs like!" ... seriously, i grilled him, so ridiculous, like this poor kid is trying to describe "rats" and shit to me ... i'm like, "oh cool, songs about animals" .. I MUST HAVE THIS RECORD.

I remember the two stores in my area were still all sold out of it, and I had to wait for the damn thing to show up by mail. I remember getting it and just burning the disc over and over and over again. I would go to sleep with the headphones on. It was bad. I also remember being pissed off because my friend had the lyrics for Blood in his cassette and my CD did not (i think, it was blood? or next to blood in the book?) ... fucking PJ. always messin w our heads.

I remember us all over on the old board (AOL i think it still was) like dissecting and connecting the trails between songs. "Oooh RVM is like the continuation of Daughter, like where the shades went down. Now they are raised!" ... i remember Dissident just REALLY hitting me hard. Dissident and Leash, i think they were my two favorites for a good while.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Vs. is the album that took me from the place of "Pearl Jam - Ten. Its fucking phenomenal and I can't stop listening to it, but for all we know the second album will be shit." to "Holy fucking shit. I think i'm going to love this band forever". It's hard to explain. Looking back I was clearly mildly obsessed with Ten. But it never clicked for me that i LOVED pearl jam. When I heard Vs. i KNEW.

I remember my friend telling me it had just come out (i was kinda clueless about "the scene" etc, hell it was 8th grade) and I just stopped. I think we were in between classes, he was trying to continue to his. I grabbed the back of his shoulder, and made him stop. I was like, "tell me about it! What are the songs like!" ... seriously, i grilled him, so ridiculous, like this poor kid is trying to describe "rats" and shit to me ... i'm like, "oh cool, songs about animals" .. I MUST HAVE THIS RECORD.

I remember the two stores in my area were still all sold out of it, and I had to wait for the damn thing to show up by mail. I remember getting it and just burning the disc over and over and over again. I would go to sleep with the headphones on. It was bad. I also remember being pissed off because my friend had the lyrics for Blood in his cassette and my CD did not (i think, it was blood? or next to blood in the book?) ... fucking PJ. always messin w our heads.

I remember us all over on the old board (AOL i think it still was) like dissecting and connecting the trails between songs. "Oooh RVM is like the continuation of Daughter, like where the shades went down. Now they are raised!" ... i remember Dissident just REALLY hitting me hard. Dissident and Leash, i think they were my two favorites for a good while.
    :clap:

:clap:
  • fist-bump.jpg
  • DevonPearl wrote:
    JB128716 wrote:

I would have no problem with that! :twisted:
    It's still one of these albums i can hear without skipping.
    thumbs-up.png
    I was in 5th grade, 10 years old. I didn't know much about current music but my parents were Rock only folks, and I followed. I was the oldest but one of my best friends had two older bothers, 4 and 7 years older than us. His brother had a shirt with the Vs album cover on it. I knew who PJ was but didn't know the album, yet. Since then it is always my "favorite display of the boys artistic ability". This album punched Pearl Jam into my brain, never to let go. My favorite.

Wind this thing up.

• to me Vs separated the real Pearl Jam fans from the casual MTV Pearl Jam fans, Vs was far less polished than Ten, just real music for real music fans every song is great, my all time favorite
  • One of only 2 albums I play with absolutely no skipping. Every single song is pure gold. Dissident first did it for me, later it was Go and then of course RVM. Surprisingly it's not my #1, that belongs to Yield, but it's top 3 no question. It's a Saturday morning ritual to put it on and clean house. My 5 year old belts out Dissident like you wouldn't believe (she looooooves Jeff - her words).

Love my VS yes I do.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Didn't get vs until Xmas of '93 but loved it and listened to it all the time. Love angry Eddie and man Dave A hammered the drums. He was the right drummer for that record, that's for sure.

Still my favourite album cover. It's perfect. Says it all right there.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Next year I'm going to buy my copy of Vs. a beer for its 21st birthday.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Vs5Against1_USA_ZT53136_sidea.jpg
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Not sure if it even cracks my top 5 but damn every single song on this album is solid. Like many have said no need to skip any on this album.
  • th?id=H.4749436117320914&pid=15.1
  • 1. "Go" Dave Abbruzzese ....................................................3:12
    2. "Animal" Stone Gossard ..................................................2:49
    3. "Daughter" Gossard .......................................................3:55
    4. "Glorified G" Gossard, Mike McCready .................................3:26
    5. "Dissident" Gossard, McCready, Jeff Ament ..........................3:35
    6. "W.M.A." Abbruzzese, Ament ...........................................5:59
    7. "Blood" Gossard, McCready ..............................................2:50
    8. "Rearviewmirror" Vedder ................................................4:44
    9. "Rats" Ament ...............................................................4:15
    10. "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" Vedder ..3:15
    11. "Leash" Gossard, McCready ............................................3:09
    12. "Indifference" Ament, Gossard ........................................5:02
    All lyrics by Eddie Vedder
  • http://www.grunge-forum.com/topics13/pearl-jam-recording-sessions-guide-vt2542.htm
    · September 4, 1992 - Southern Tracks Recording - Atlanta, GA

Ed Vedder - vocals
    Stone Gossard - guitar, background vocals
    Mike McCready - guitar
    Jeff Ament - bass, background vocals
    Dave Abbruzzese - drum kit

? Leash
    Ramblings Continued [1992 Fan Club single]
    Sonic Reducer [1992 Fan Club single]

Notes: 'Leash' was written by the time of this session, so it's possible it was recorded, but no information is known for sure. 'Ramblings Continued' was a noise collage that featured messages from the band and sound bites from movies, television shows, and songs.

· February - March 1993 - Galleria Potatohead - Seattle, WA

Ed Vedder - vocals
    Stone Gossard - guitar
    Mike McCready - guitar
    Jeff Ament - bass
    Dave Abbruzzese - drum kit, guitar on 'Go'

Better Man
    Daughter
    Go
    ? Leash
    W.M.A.
    others

Notes: Pearl Jam rehearsed for a couple of weeks before leaving Seattle to record Vs. in California. Brendan O'Brien was present for at least a couple of rehearsals. 'Better Man' was demoed at one of the first ones. 'Daughter' was worked on but this version featured more toms in the drum line. 'Go' began life as an acoustic riff and quickly evolved into a full song. 'Leash' was written by the time of this session, so it's possible it was worked on, but no information is known for sure. 'W.M.A.' came together after Ed witnessed an incident while walking to a grocery store during a break and began writing lyrics over a jam the band was working on. This version of the song contained more parts than the version found on Vs. The band stopped playing the song after a while so its arrangement wouldn't get set in stone.

· March - May 1993 - The Site - San Rafael, CA

Ed Vedder - vocals, guitar, background vocals
    Stone Gossard - guitar, background vocals
    Mike McCready - guitar
    Jeff Ament - bass, background vocals
    Dave Abbruzzese - drum kit, percussion
    Brendan O'Brien - organ
    Victoria Williams - guitar and background vocals on 'Crazy Mary'

Animal [Vs.]
    Better Man
    Blood [Vs.]
    Crazy Mary [Sweet Relief - A Benefit For Victoria Williams]
    Daughter [Vs.]
    Dissident [Vs.]
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town (a.k.a. Small Town) [Vs.]
    Glorified G [Vs.]
    Go (a.k.a. Don't Go) [Vs.]
    Hard To Imagine
    Indifference [Vs.]
    Leash [Vs.]
    Rats [Vs.]
    Real Thing {instrumental} [Judgment Night Soundtrack]
    Rearviewmirror [Vs.]
    Whipping
    W.M.A. [Vs.]
    ? Yellow Ledbetter
    unknown {instrumental}
    unknown {instrumental}
    unknown {instrumental}

Notes: Vs. sessions began in mid-March and lasted until early May 1993. Sessions were completed before May 13, 1993, as Ed stated during a concert on that day Pearl Jam was leaving the San Francisco area the following day. Everything recorded during these sessions was recorded live except for some lead and vocal overdubs. The band set up in a semi-circle with the drum kit in the middle to record. The drum kit was eventually moved into a tiled room because they wanted a different drum sound on some songs. There were many days where they would record the album all the way through and pick the best takes from those days. They would usually record two to five takes of each song and move on to the next song if it wasn't sounding the way they wanted it to. The rough mix of the album contains outtakes, countdowns, extra feedback, and some guitar lines that were later removed from the final versions of the songs. The first week of recording produced 'Blood,' 'Go,' a slow version of 'Leash,' and 'Rats.' After awhile, recording hit a snag because Ed began frequently disappearing to work on lyrics. He would leave for days and come back ready to finish the songs being worked on, but this held up some of the sessions because the band wanted to keep all of the takes live and mix them down immediately after they were recorded. Without Ed present, those takes could not be finished and everyone would have to wait on him to return to complete them. This resulted in a number of instrumentals being recorded. Ed's vocals on 'Blood,' 'Leash,' and 'Indifference' were his reference vocals. One take of 'Better Man' was recorded, but it didn't sound very good so it was scrapped. An acoustic take of 'Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town' was released on the Go single. 'Glorified G' went through a series of changes before it was finalized. Mike stated in the February 1995 edition of Guitar World his guitar solo on 'Go' "was probably the second of three or four takes." Stone, Jeff, and Dave recorded an instrumental and sent it to Cypress Hill, and they later rapped over it and titled the song 'Real Thing.' 'Rearviewmirror' was the last song recorded and was almost left unfinished. Dave had trouble nailing his drum line for it, so after finally playing it to Brendan O'Brien's satisfaction, he threw his sticks against the wall, punched a hole through the snare drum, and later threw the broken snare off of a nearby cliff. Ed finished his vocals for the song on the final day of recording. 'Whipping' was recorded, but it ended up being shelved and later re-recorded for Vitalogy. Many percussion overdubs were added to 'W.M.A.' Dave stated in the December 1993 edition of Modern Drummer, "I laid down this two-measure drum track and we looped it all the way through the song. Eddie and Jeff came in to do vocals and bass on it and then I went back with some octobans and a cymbal and just winged it. I also did some tambourine and sleigh bell thing and then we did some other crazy stuff like using a slapstick and another tambourine and Stone dancing around the hallway with this freaky boinging thing." An alternate recording of 'Yellow Ledbetter' exists that is different from the version recorded during the Ten sessions, so it may have been recorded, but no information is known for sure. Three instrumentals were recorded, but Ed never got around to writing lyrics for them so they were left unfinished. This seemed to be a common problem throughout the Vs. sessions as Jeff commented in the April 1994 edition of Bass Player, "We got to the point where [we] were getting ahead of Eddie; we were getting a lot of musical ideas, and trying to write lyrics for 20 songs in a month and make them mean something is a pretty intense job."
  • Bump
  • 27 days to go plus it will be the first show after the new album release, could be an all timer
    Vs5Against1_USA_ZT53136_sidea.jpg

That brings me back. Thanks for threading this.

Wind this thing up.

• Bump 26 Days
  • oysterjar wrote:
    Vs5Against1_USA_ZT53136_sidea.jpg

That brings me back. Thanks for threading this.
    back when I use to rock my boombox :lol: