can you feel it

2»

Comments

• TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    edited July 2014
    June 25/26, 2014
    GET SWALLOWED WHOLE
    10.a
    “Realize in your instrument binaural brilliant light.
    Spell-bound strings, lyrical seer in sight.
    Beat deep skin to the captive melodious heart.
    Waves of clay dance and sing; denizens in joyous part.”

Have you ever been so moved by a person or group of people that you had to write poetry about them. I have and I just had to write an epic poem about the most inspiring musical group it has been my complete honor to be counted as one of their die-hard fans. That band is Pearl Jam and their lead singer and explicit solstice soul, Eddie Vedder. The poetic stanza I just read opens the ode I wrote to the band. The ode is called “Can You Feel It”. It was my way of expressing the adoration and exhilaration I feel about the band, music, Eddie and their history. I have come to regard Pearl Jam’s members, Eddie, Stone, Jeff, Matt, Mike and Boom as role models. Over the band’s more than twenty years together, they have delivered electrifying and meaningful songs, confronted corporate greed and spearheaded relentless political activism.
    Stone Gossard, a guitarist and president of Pearl Jam recently said in an interview that “Eddie is the spiritual leader of Pearl Jam”. Fans of the band, in there millions worldwide, would completely agree with that statement. His spirit first exploded into pop-culture with perhaps the bands biggest hit, Alive. Alive is a dark and disturbing story of family lies, abuse and an adolescent Eddie Vedder losing his father, whose existence was concealed, until it was too late. For Eddie to take the stage, night after night in the bands’ infancy and tell his most emotionally hurtful secrets for fans to dance and sing to in erupting joy; well that takes a lot of courage. Apparently Eddie would leave the stage in tears many nights.
    As time passed and hit records piled, Eddie’s exceptional skill for writing lyrics and music grew like the proverbial tree of knowledge; firmly rooted in the soil of the bands friendship and talents. Music was not Pearl Jam’s only business. They took a stand against the corporate gold diggers that Ticket Master has deformed into. The band’s fight against exorbitant surcharges on concert tickets landed them on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. and a front row seat for Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard in a Senate sub-committee hearing. Then the Bush Administration’s darkness befell the land. Eddie and the band waged relentless peaceful political activism against those evil doers. Their song about George W Bush titled Bu$hleager, nearly got them lynched in Texas one night!
    All the activism and integrity aside, it’s the music that really grips me. Black, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter, Sirens and Even Flow are just some of the songs an entire arena full of faithful fans will sing along too. I wrote my ode to PJ after having recently attended a show in Buffalo NY; about twenty feet from center stage. Afterwards, in reflection, I finally understood the term, “religious fervor”! Give Pearl Jam a download; watch the feature length documentary PJ20 by Cameron Crowe. PJ20 is the definitive portrait of the band and another one of the mystical notes in PJ’s epic opera that had me writing Homeric poetry of my own. Bravo, to the rock star role models, Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam!

In joyous part.

Wonderful!
    (This was the comment posted by the Teacher)
    I thought to save my submissions for this exercise for posterity

PS. Here is some additional information about my poem and concert experience if you’re interested.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/217408/can-you-feel-it#latest
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/219892/buffalo-fanviews-here-10-12-13/p3
    page three on this thread. My club name is TalonTedd.

And here are three more poems I wrote in the 10C

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228941/the-usually-high-priestess-lettinggo#latest
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/5490292#Comment_5490292
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/170747/instant-thoughts-add-yours-too-if-you-like/p39
    Page 39 and 40 two separate poems.

10.b. The audience for my speech is anyone that has a taste for Rock music and the tone is meant to sound electric and enthusiastic; a tone exemplifying the spirit of Rock and Roll. Since my purpose is to sow the seeds of curiosity for some fresh tendrils to sprout in the minds of anyone that likes rock music. It seems fitting to extol the virtues of Pearl Jam with an enthusiastic tone.

10.c. (10C is the acronym for the PJ fan club…how fitting.)
    The audience was my 4 year old…..yeah.

Upon recital, review and reflection of my speech, His Lordship, Dustin, has bequeathed that my presentation lacks for nothing. My love of the band is limitless and knows no boundaries. Not long ago, I stood upon a bar top in Graffiti’s pub and recited “can you feel it” with passion. My silver tongue landed me a treasure trove of applause and a few beers. Public speaking is real strength of mine. When I was a young man, I thought to become a politician. However, that said, I would change one line of the speech in its current form. I think the term “religious fervor” would detract from my goal. It may lead some people to think that I’m a little too bias, maybe even a little crazy….me! I could also do some more research and choose topics like philanthropy, awards and others to list facts other than my own feelings, as central themes of the speech.

10.d. For a visual aid, I would employ one of my PJ tour T-shirt souvenirs. Wearing a tour shirt would legitimize my assertion of being a “die-hard fan’.

Unit 2: Reflection

I particularly enjoyed the lesson “Identifying Perspective and Bias” (11) found in lesson number six. For understanding Perspective, the example of Angela stating, “We all have the right to breathe clean air.” (11) made clear that perspective is a choice. Perspective is an empirical solution that a person equates from facts or fictions that are revealed to them. Bias can be a rhetorical menace or a vigilant shield in a person’s life. From the bias of others, people are given a perspective of issues that can be truthful or deceitful. For instance, I was viewing the TV show “The Agenda, with Steve Paikin” on TVO the other night. A table of bitter and defeated conservative provincial candidates was discussing the future of the PC Party and the mistakes of the election campaign. To a clone, each one of them thought Tim Hudak’s promise of firing 100 000 civil servants was delivered too truthfully. Instead, they said that using terms like “trimming the fat” or “finding savings in government spending”, would have been better. So, I now understand that they think stating the truth is bad politics and that vague, catchy phrases work better to win elections. So they can then implement their true intentions of destroying people’s livelihoods and the services we deserve as citizens. It was so nice to use the lessons of perspective and bias while watching that show. I now completely understand that I will never share the perspectives of Conservatives, because they are biased towards deceit when campaigning for public office.
    Strong reasoning! (comment)

In joyous part
    :-@
    Post edited by TalonTedd on
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
    Happy birtyhday to you
    Happy birthday to you
    Happy birthday, "Can you feel it".
    Happy birthday to you......are ya one....yes you are.

Happy birthday to my very favorite personal, literary creation of all time.
    I couldn't be more proud of you.
    And to see you a whole year older and to recollect all the excitment and anticipation of your creation over a year ago. You developed over months, in the womb of my imagination.....so you remember who your daddy is, kiddo. Anyway, you've grown and its time to reflect some of the changes that feel right for me and you (I'll never edit the first stanza, it will always be). So, all the best for the new year and may your meaning and signifigance in my heart and mind never dwindle.

Can You Feel It

Realize in your instrument binaural brilliant light.
    Beat deep skin to the captive melodiuos heart.
    Waves of clay dance and sing; denizens in joyous part.

Broken Bone...t...casted in doubt.
    Jeff and Stone reanimated, rythmic dual.
    Dropping lively tabs, that embarks a supersonic start.

Out of a metallic Shawdow stomps Mccready.
    Tauten five nine, painted flesh amplifing fretted twine.
    His fresco fingers conjure electric art.

Tendrils sprouting fresh of a harvested Garden.
    Matt heeds the deed to finale a quavered measure.
    You are, the standard bearer drumming oceans of treasure.

Leap for fait, Eddie!...
    He surfs among restless Sea Atolls.
    A vast heroic wave cradles the explicit solstice soul.

Tropical shores, twittering Boom; terra incognita to layer.
    Una la crima cadde nel cornicione.
    Angelic keys ripple with stoic prayer.

Follow the footsteps of enlightened faithful.
    Rise, witness eternal echoes of Homer's portentious band.
    For lacyrimous gaze the Gods; infallable and alone in their immortality.
    A procession of ages shall pass, none rival Pearl Jam!

In joyous part.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    How cool to get to read this in it's progression!! I loved watching it evolve into this! I have discovered that I write much better stories than poetry, but I still write poems.. The only one I ever wrote about the band was from waaaaaaaaaaaaAaaaaaaaay back in the beginning, like '92 sort of beginning.. It is totally cheeseball for sure.
    Hey, thanks for your input whispering hands, and I really like your club name. You would be very welcome to dig that old "cheeseball" from out of the sofa and post that fromage all over these pages..... :-? @-) Seriously, I would love to read it. Think of it sorta like when Eddie gets handed the Demo tape in PJ20; remember the look. If it still exists, I would be very honoured...and you might enjoy the memories.

In joyous part.
    I might have to look that up!! Lol
    Ok.. Here's my cheeseball contribution, rhymed schematic and all..

Out Of The Water

See them standing on a stage,
    Hear their voices vent your rage.
    Grasp the world in its ripe old age,
    And join the rebels in wars to wage!

You know the albums that they sell,
    And all the stories that they tell,
    Now your soul lies under spell,
    For all you pain they know so well.

Their pictures on your walls to see,
    Stripped of common reality,
    Take away the lives that be,
    And make them Into Gods for me!

Hear them see them everyday,
    Cause MTV's there all the way,
    Believe each word reporters say,
    Yet half the time they're not that way!

These are people can't you see,
    Give them back their reality.
    And always I will make this plea,
    They're only human, so let them be!!

This was in 92. When they were blowing up, and you could see the strain on them. I'm forever grateful to not be famous! P.S. This too was when MTV STILLL ACTUALLY PMAYED AND COVERED MUSIC!! Lol

Ok.. Here's my cheeseball contribution, rhymed schematic and all..

Out Of The Water

See them standing on a stage,
    Hear their voices vent your rage.
    Grasp the world in its ripe old age,
    And join the rebels in wars to wage!

You know the albums that they sell,
    And all the stories that they tell,
    Now your soul lies under spell,
    For all you pain they know so well.

Their pictures on your walls to see,
    Stripped of common reality,
    Take away the lives that be,
    And make them Into Gods for me!

Hear them see them everyday,
    Cause MTV's there all the way,
    Believe each word reporters say,
    Yet half the time they're not that way!

These are people can't you see,
    Give them back their reality.
    And always I will make this plea,
    They're only human, so let them be!!

This was in 92. When they were blowing up, and you could see the strain on them. I'm forever grateful to not be famous! P.S. This too was when MTV STILLL ACTUALLY PMAYED AND COVERED MUSIC!! Lol

Thats' a bella fromagia :-bd

Thanks for posting your loving poem about the band in my little scrap book, whispering hands. I can see you were instantly connected to them from the begining. You also recognized and forsaw the activist trajectory they would advance their band with "And join the rebels in wars to wage", some nice irony there.
    "Now your soul lies under spell. For all your pain they know so well", and with those words you encapsulate the bond that binds their fans to them! They extol the virtues of human misery so well in there music. I believe its from misery, that we learn to really appreciate joy. And in those early years of "Ten" they connected to our hearts by simply being honest and explicit with their own feelings and experiences....that, and the greatest guitar riffs going! Its that beauty in truth that really captivates fans and brings a deep satisfaction to our senses.
    I can relate to your protectivness of the band, as you close out your poem. When really good artists/art reaches deep into our soul, they become blood. Don't we all make statements like "thats my music" in referece to our tastes, and we had nothing to do with its creation; yet it is ours. But the system would have never relented in its pursuit of controlling them if they let it, and they didn't. They fought hard for their souls and they won. and that is why they still produce music that we love and more importantly, they love; Lightning Bolt kicked ass!....as has everything they have done.
    Great poem from a passionate fan and veteran member of this great club!
    XOXO whispering hands. 8->

In joyous part

p.s. Just a reminder Faithful, post your prose and poems about the band here, if you wish.....its my honour and pleasure to keep this little scrap book of PJ love. :)>-
    Wow thank you!! I still feel that way, yet it has mellowed out in the need to
    Let them be part.. But I do still feel like they are gods of rock like all the other rock veterans out there! Thank you for that review! It made me smile. And as for the political aspect, I knew it was coming, yes.. Had a little inner insight into that one!! Lol
    edited November 2015
    Happy Birthday little one. You are two years old now and the love and joy I have for you is that much more plentiful. When you turned one I gave you some new styles and I don't think this year I have any urge to reshape and refine your meaning; because you mean the world to me, my gratitude for the music and my personal growth. Because of you I went on to produce several dozen new poems,prose and songs. This is a part of me I haven't explored or even cared for until you came to being. Now, I am constantly aware of my desire for more inspiration and meaning from what I produce but also the creations of others. the fans in this club are an inspiration in their own right and of course the band stands alone in my mind eye for what i desire in music, entertainment and example.
    So lets rattle you off with gumption, gratitude and grace on this your second year

Can You Feel It

Beat deep skin to the captive melodious heart.

Broken Bone...t...cast in doubt.
    Jeff and Stone reanimated, rhythmic duel.
    Dropping lively tabs, so embarks a supersonic start.

Out of a metallic Shadow stomps McCready.
    Tauten five nine, painted flesh amplifying fretted twine.

Leap for fate, Eddie!...
    He surfs among restless Sea Atolls.

Tropical shores, twittering Boom; terra incognita to layer.
    Una la crima cadde nel Cornicione.

Rise, witness eternal echoes of Homer's portentous band.
    For lacyrimous gaze the Gods; infallible and alone in their immortality.

In joyous part.

Post edited by TalonTedd on
    TalonTedd said:
    Happy Birthday little one. You are two years old now and the love and joy I have for you is that much more plentiful. When you turned one I gave you some new styles and I don't think this year I have any urge to reshape and refine your meaning; because you mean the world to me, my gratitude for the music and my personal growth. Because of you I went on to produce several dozen new poems,prose and songs. This is a part of me I haven't explored or even cared for until you came to being. Now, I am constantly aware of my desire for more inspiration and meaning from what I produce but also the creations of others. the fans in this club are an inspiration in their own right and of course the band stands alone in my mind eye for what i desire in music, entertainment and example. So lets rattle you off with gumption, gratitude and grace on this your second year Can You Feel It Realize in your instrument binaural brilliant light. Spell-bound strings, lyrical seer in sight. Beat deep skin to the captive melodious heart. Waves of clay dance and sing; denizens in joyous part. Broken Bone...t...cast in doubt. Jeff and Stone reanimated, rhythmic duel. Dropping lively tabs, so embarks a supersonic start. Out of a metallic Shadow stomps McCready. Tauten five nine, painted flesh amplifying fretted twine. His fresco fingers conjure electric art. Tendrils sprouting fresh of a harvested Garden. Matt heeds the deed to finale a quavered measure. You are, the standard bearer drumming oceans of treasure. Leap for fate, Eddie!... He surfs among restless Sea Atolls. A vast heroic wave cradles the explicit solstice soul. Tropical shores, twittering Boom; terra incognita to layer. Una la crima cadde nel Cornicione. Angelic keys ripple with stoic prayer. Follow the footsteps of enlightened faithful. Rise, witness eternal echoes of Homer's portentous band. For lacyrimous gaze the Gods; infallible and alone in their immortality. A procession of ages shall pass, none rival Pearl Jam! In joyous part.
    I can still feel it 4 years on, the love for my band and the jammers.   
    Can You Feel It

Beat deep skin to the captive melodious hearts.

Broken Bone.. t ..cast in doubt.
    Jeff and Stone a reanimated, rhythmic duel.
    Dropping lively tabs, and so embarks a supersonic start.

Out of a metallic Shadow stomps McCready.
    Tauten five nine, painted flesh amplifying fretted twine.

Leap for fate, Eddie!...
    He surfs amongst restless Sea Atolls.

Tropical shores, twittering Boom; terra incognito to layer.
    Una la crima cadde nel Cornicione.

Rise, witness eternal echoes of Homer's portentous band.
    For lacyrimous gaze the Gods; infallible and alone in their immortality.

In joyous part.