*** Buffalo Fanviews Here 10/12/13 ***

Comments

• Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    Amazing show. I took my 12 year old son & got GA tickets. We were so close Mike threw a pick at for my son. His 1st Pearl Jam show & it won't be his last.
    Thanks to all the cool fan club members we met in line & in the GA section.
    Especially the lady from Burlington & Jamie from Toronto & the lady with 4 kids from Windsor.
    Gibson1972
  • nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    edited October 2013
    awilkins wrote:
    What was the GA line-up/door/early-entrance/designated entrance situation like??

Crazy. We showed up at the box office/entrance side at 4pm. My buddy stood in line while I got our tix. We were maybe 100th in line or so. When I got back to him he was chatting with some women who said there apparently was another GA line on the opposite side of the pavilion. They had just sent their husbands to check. A bit later they got the word that there was hardly anyone in line on the other side (with the construction of the parking garage at the pavilion, it was impossible to see/get to the other side very easily). So we joined them and walked all the way around the venue to the other side. We were 15th in line. Amazing. We were there just after 4pm.

Around 6:00, they opened the doors to let us file in. We got through security check and then everyone (Both sets of doors for the GA lines were opened) and everyone was forced to gather in the pavilion in front of a line of "gates" which would allow us in. There were 100's of people in the pavilion at this point. Luckily, we were able to be 3rd/4th in line behind two guys, right at a gate where they would scan our tickets. It was nuts. We all stood there, crammed into the pavilion until 6:30 when they opened all the "gates" and just let people go.... Not many people got their tickets officially scanned as everyone booted in through the big and only set of doors leading to the floor.

Then,inexplicably, they had TWO, count 'me, TWO staff members trying to mark EVERYONE 's tickets with an "X" who was heading to the floor. So stupid. It caused a major bottle neck and panic as everyone was holding their tickets to get marked.... We got through relatively quickly, but then there were two more check points to show your marked ticket and wristband before you could get to the back of the floor and then go up the aisle to the back of the pit. We booked it and luckily got 2nd row right in front of Jeff's stand. It was really stupid in ways.

While lining up early helped us get to the front of a ticket scanning gate, it really served no purpose to get there super early. I don't understand the marking of the tickets, plus he two other checkpoints for wristband. Caused unnecessary bottlenecks and panic. We were probably ahead of those how had been there at 8 in the end.

I would recommend getting there at least 1.5 hours ahead of time just to be safe, but it certainly was a mess......
    Post edited by nevmiles on
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • hipfan1hipfan1 Posts: 37
    I thought last night was great! The highlights for me were Sometimes, Immortality, Once and Go. The new songs sounded really good too. There were great jams for Even Flow and Rearviewmirror.

The only downside was the mix and the lighting; they sounded terrible at the start, way too much kick drum and bass. Mike was burried throughout the night, except when he was soloing, and that was a bit disappointing. It seemed like the lighting was really random at times too, and didn't match the music. I'm sure they will clear that up as the tour goes along though.

All in all it was a great night and well worth the 5+ hour drive :D
  • Really came into the show hesitant and skeptical of the new album. Went with a friend that has attended a lot of shows with me and we left very happy. New material sounded great live and Porch was as good as 09 Toronto if not better. Highlight of the show was hearing baba finally and it was worth the $$$ in its self. People of Buffalo were very kind and helpful. Really hoping for a Canadian tour next year really hoping to travel to a few shows.

5$ for parking are you kidding me wow !
    Hamilton 05
    Toronto 09
    Toronto 11
    Hamilton 11
    London 13
    Buffalo 13
  • marc34 wrote:
    Just got back to Boston and wanted to check in. I thought the show was very loud from where I was behind the soundboard. Not sure if that's the acoustics of the building or how the instruments were set up. It just seemed like Ed was struggling to sing over the instruments. Playing that many new songs and not as popular songs was tough on casual fans. The crown was wild for alive, dte, evenflow etc but was very quiet during the new stuff, and some of the not as main stream stuff. Overall I have seen PJ around 30 times and this was a show that I felt was average. They had a few miscues since it is the start of the tour but they will work out the kinks. As a fairly knowledgeable fan I liked the set list, but if I was the band and was going to play 9 out of 13 new songs, I would mix in more staples like Black, Jeremy, Daughter etc

This was show #66 for me. It was a solidly good-but-not-amazingly great show. I expected some sloppy enthusiasm this early into the tour, especially playing a large amount of new songs so early in the tour, and that's what I feel like I got. From my spot further back, it wasn't clear Ed was having vocal problems, but Ed's audio seemed too low a few times that seemed like the sound, not his voice. Jeff's bass was way too prominent on Off He Goes and Yellow Moon. Father's Son had a very messy start - it really was 6 guys pulling in 6 different directions. LOL. It was nice to see the guys aren't... infallible. :D Speaking of which, Infallible is an early favorite of mine off the new album, and it sounded great live. That song was the highlight for me. I hope once more folks hear it and get familiar with the lyrics that more people are going to be singing along to this one.

I do agree they needed a few more familiar songs mixed in early to engage the crowd. A GTF, or The Fixer, MFC, or a Not For You earlier on would have helped draw in the crowd faster. Pendulum is a great opener, but few people know the song yet. Lowlight and Sometimes after that was just a bit too much slow and not-widely-known stuff to start. I did like the amount of Vitalogy and No Code on the setlist, and the crowd was into it too, so it wasn't a crowd that only wanted "hits" but the setlist and the energy didn't really build momentum until Once, imo. Rats, Immortality, and Go were welcome surprises when they arrived. Loved Ed's story about how I Go Sh*t came along.

Pendulum as the opener was another great surprise, and another song on the new album that I love already. I assumed since they opened with it for Pittsburgh, it wouldn't be up again so fast. Sirens is beautiful. Mind Your Manners kicked butt, which I already knew from hearing it at Wrigley. Lightning Bolt is good, but doesn't make as much impact live as I'd think it would. I liked it more at Wrigley than I do now after hearing it quite a few times on the iTunes streaming, and now the second time live. It's a song that should be right in my wheelhouse, but I can't put my finger on why it doesn't grab me more???

Near the end of the show, Ed picked up the mic stand and was swinging it sort of like a bat. I really thought he was considering smashing one of the swinging lights. Please just swing on them Ed. :D

I didn't have 10C for this show - I was 6 rows up from floor on the Mike side just past the sound board, so I had a good view of the whole venue. About half of the GA section was rocking out, and the rest was standing/swaying. Folks do realize that most people are only vaguely familiar with Mind Your Manners and Sirens, right? The thing that impressed me was that nobody was racing out for beers or bathroom breaks during the new and slow songs - anywhere. And folks seemed to like the new songs overall.

I've seen 3 other shows in Buffalo, and prior shows had much louder crowds than this time out, but this show overall had a "slow groovy" vibe to it, so I don't take lack of pogo-ing for lack of interest or enthusiasm by the crowd. Everybody was singing along to I Got Id, Present Tense, Immortality, Small Town, etc. and rocking out for songs like DTE, SOLAT, Once, Got Some, RVM. The folks around me were definitely fans, but most were unfamiliar with the new album other than Mind Your Manners.

The floor people did start leaving right after Baba, and I don't know why, since the band clearly wasn't exiting the stage. I loved Baba followed by Indifference to close. Mike and Stone were on fire with the guitar work. Loved what they were trying with DTE to extend that jam, though the crowd didn't quite get what Ed was trying to do with getting folks to sing along to the solo. I can't wait until that gets smoothed out, since the crowd was really into DTE. It's always one of my favorite songs at a show; I never tire of hearing it, though I do like it later in the setlist generally. Great versions of Present Tense, Porch and RVM.

Other stuff:
    I was unpleasantly surprised at the number of drunk dudes trying to crowd surf popping up. I have GA for some upcoming shows and I am concerned that some drunk lunk will ruin a show experience by injuring me.

PJ really needs to reassess the merchandise situation - they have too few people working - and they need to separate the payment process from the service to speed things up overall. The women's shirts continue to be lackluster. Hire a woman to design them, or just make the same shirts as for men, but on shirts sized and cut appropriately for women.

Love the Buffalo poster!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,291
    you guys should have been there.

That is all.

Fuck me running was that awesome.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    mickeyrat wrote:

That is all.

:lol::lol:

simple, but effective review ;)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Red Lukin wrote:
    - free parking - wtf?
    Did you park in the lot right across from the baseball field? We couldn't believe that parking was free in that lot. Score!

Anyone else see monthly parking was $30 in some lots. They wanted $20 for the event. I wanted a month just in case I needed to come back :) my lot in downtown Toronto was $190 a month
  • Show number 23 for me.

Quite frankly, I was disappointed. Average show for pearl jam. I do think playing 9 new songs subdued a crowd that was ready to rock. I thought when sometimes was played 3rd, "this could be an interesting night." Oh well. Onto Worcester.
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,011
    edited October 2013
    I pulled up seats in 106 row 5 at about 4pm and sat in those for the show. Probably better than most of the 10c seats. I see there are some complaints about the sound/sloppy playing. The sound was really good in my section (probably better than 20 rows back on the floor in London this summer) and I've certainly seen much sloppier shows (Alpine 1 2011 and Toronto 2 2011 come to mind). I was happy to see some many LB songs. The band seems really excited about this record, a feeling I never really got from the Backspacer shows. It's also nice how they've changed the setlist structure as I felt the tours from 2009-2012 were really getting really stagnant.
    Post edited by Ryan on
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Drove over 6 hours from New Jersey on Friday night and it was well worth the trip. Went to Duff's for some wings and to Niagara Falls during the day Saturday and it was cool spotting everyone out in their PJ gear. After picking up my tickets at will call on Saturday afternoon, I got to meet Mike out of pure luck when I was walking back to my car and walked past right as he came out to see everyone who was waiting behind the arena...all because I decided not to wait in the merch line :D He handed out autographed Tectonics singles and PJ stickers and took time out to take pictures with fans and sign more autographs.

Great show, all the new songs sounded awesome, and Ed seemed to really feed into the crowd's energy. Next stop Hartford in 2 weeks! :D
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    mickeyrat wrote:

That is all.

Too bad we didn't meet, but it sounds like you had an awesome time too :D

WHAT A FREAKING SHOW! When Ed started talking about Mirror Ball, I sort of knew what was coming and flipped out :D I GOT SHIT - whoa!!! Rats! Immortality! Present Tense! Small town to the back of the stage! So much fantastic stuff! I loved this show even more than the first night, which I thought was already fantastic. The new songs are awesome live and the boys are on fire!

On a side note, I loved meeting everyone and that we were able to have our fan portraits taken at the pre-party :D I had a freaking awesome wonderful overall weekend!

Thank you, Pearl Jam!!!
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    mickeyrat wrote:

That is all.

Too bad we didn't meet, but it sounds like you had an awesome time too :D

WHAT A FREAKING SHOW!

Thank you, Pearl Jam!!!
    It was really great!! thank you to the band for working so hard.. we brought my brother to both shows this weekend.. He had a fucking blast! it was his first times seeing PJ.. definitely thought Buffalo was a better show, as he got more songs that he was wanting.. The section was good. The cat sitting to my right accidentally spilled my beer and almost immediately bought me a replacement. I know this isnt important for a review of a show to most, but to me it shows that you are sitting next to good hearted people. not an asshole.. anyhow, the set was great, the company in section 115 was great, and the event leading up to the show were great as well.. Got to meet some great people again and for the first time and had a fucking kick ass sandwich and great IPA from the basement deli at Pearl Street..

I know my brother was thoroughly impressed with the band, the setlists, but also with the fans.. All of you 10c folks are just sooo fucking cool!! and I look forward to seeing all my friends on here and I REALLY like meeting people for for the first time! everone is just so nice and cool.. too many to recall at the moment, but I know I was geeked to meet Justam and Smarchee finally!! Oh, and the Anthrax fan! cant remember your name at the moment!! OH, and lazoblue!! many more.. You all.. you are all just so great! I feel safe to be myself around you all! This place, the 10c, like I have said before, after all drama on here at times, once it is showtime it ALL goes away and we are all in it together as one . as a family. a great family... thank you all for showing Leeze and I that love, but mostly thank you all for showing my brother what this whole thing is all about! I love you all! thank you again!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • dumperdumper Posts: 39
    Ryan wrote:
    I pulled up seats in 106 row 5 at about 4pm and sat in those for the show. Probably better than most of the 10c seats. I see there are some complaints about the sound/sloppy playing. The sound was really good in my section (probably better than 20 rows back on the floor in London this summer) and I've certainly seen much sloppier shows (Alpine 1 2011 and Toronto 2 2011 come to mind). I was happy to see some many LB songs. The band seems really excited about this record, a feeling I never really got from the Backspacer shows. It's also nice how they've changed the setlist structure as I felt the tours from 2009-2012 were really getting really stagnant.

Yes. Agree with you! Was a bit slower but loved hearing new stuff. I also think there was no excitement with Backspacer. They seem much more optimistic and pumped with this album.
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    It was an excellent concert! The band played a lot of great songs and the audience was enthusiastic. From where I was sitting I could see the entire arena and I noticed even the people waaaayyyy up at the top were singing and clapping along and pumping their fists. It was amazing to see!

I was really happy to hear so many of the new songs that I wanted to hear as well as some of my favorite old ones. Looking at the list, it's pretty incredible! In one show we got: Rats, Present Tense, Immortality, Once, Lowlight, Sometimes, Corduroy, Off he Goes, I Got Shit, State of Love and Trust, Do the Evolution!

Plus, a lot of the new ones I've wanted to hear: Pendulum (which worked really quite well as an opener!), Infallible (I love this one), Yellow Moon (Beautiful!), Swallowed Whole, Lightning Bolt, MYM, Sirens, Future Days . They were so good!

There were a few awkward sounds here and there, maybe because they're just starting the tour? I wondered about the end of Immortality for example, (wasn't that keyboard part a bit off?) and My Father's Son had a bit of a bump and a restart but, once they moved on they got into a good space. And, the crowd was loving them!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::mrgreen: Elderly Woman got a loud-crowd sing-along with the lights up and then there was a joyful Rats, Got Some and Rearview Mirror. The energy in the room at that point was excellent. :D

I was so happy I could be there and hear them at the beginning of this tour. I like the colorful new lights, the chaos bird overhead, and I think the new songs are really fantastic!!!!!!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    justam wrote:
    It was an excellent concert! The band played a lot of great songs and the audience was enthusiastic. From where I was sitting I could see the entire arena and I noticed even the people waaaayyyy up at the top were singing and clapping along and pumping their fists. It was amazing to see!

I was really happy to hear so many of the new songs that I wanted to hear as well as some of my favorite old ones. Looking at the list, it's pretty incredible! In one show we got: Rats, Present Tense, Immortality, Once, Lowlight, Sometimes, Corduroy, Off he Goes, I Got Shit, State of Love and Trust, Do the Evolution!

Plus, a lot of the new ones I've wanted to hear: Pendulum (which worked really quite well as an opener!), Infallible (I love this one), Yellow Moon (Beautiful!), Swallowed Whole, Lightning Bolt, MYM, Sirens, Future Days . They were so good!

There were a few awkward sounds here and there, maybe because they're just starting the tour? I wondered about the end of Immortality for example, (wasn't that keyboard part a bit off?) and My Father's Son had a bit of a bump and a restart but, once they moved on they got into a good space. And, the crowd was loving them!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::mrgreen: Elderly Woman got a loud-crowd sing-along with the lights up and then there was a joyful Rats, Got Some and Rearview Mirror. The energy in the room at that point was excellent. :D

I was so happy I could be there and hear them at the beginning of this tour. I like the colorful new lights, the chaos bird overhead, and I think the new songs are really fantastic!!!!!!!
    What the hell?? I mentioned you in my review! ;) Great to finally meet my only friend :D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Caveeze wrote:
    What the hell?? I mentioned you in my review! ;) Great to finally meet my only friend :D

:D
    If I had mentioned the pre-party I would have said that meeting you and your lovely new wife was one of the highlights of my night too Caveeze. You two are such an adorable couple!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    justam wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

:D
    If I had mentioned the pre-party I would have said that meeting you and your lovely new wife was one of the highlights of my night too Caveeze. You two are such an adorable couple!

Awwww .... It was wonderful meeting you too :mrgreen: It's so great to bump into people at these pre-parties!
  • FitPearlFitPearl Posts: 744
    mjb wrote:
    Came on around 8:20 (so much for the 7:30 call mentioned in the email from 10c) and played until 11:00. I thought the crowd was really loud. Very happy vibe in the building and in the City. Such a beautiful fall nite. I appear to be in the minority but some songs fell a little flat on the setlist, mainly the new material that didn't seem to excite the entire arena. After Wrigley and tonight, I feel like Ed is losing his hold on setlist flow. Can't put my finger on it, but I feel like the shows have had far worse natural progression, especially from the loud to midtempo material. Hard to get into a zone and stay there. Also haven't seen it mentioned that the boys were sloppy last night. Miscues, missed verses, stopped starts (happened for about 5 songs in a row in the middle of the set). Ed also had problems with his monitors all night and tore them out of his ear twice. So...a fun night, but not one I am betting the boys consider for a marquee DVD release :) Thanks for hosting all the Canadians Buffalo, and nice to see the development going on in the downtown core. Oh and the best slice of arena pizza I have ever had.

this.

It was a very wonderful night, but i dont get why people keep saying it was a perfect night.... because it wasn't. A lot of sound problem, guys looked a little bit stressed out, for exemple, just before Immortality... Ed even "called" his soundman during a song. Between 2 lines, litteraly..........
    "Pearl Jam are not just a band, they are a choice, and if you make that choice, you become one of the few lucky people on this planet to have your life enriched by the greatest gift that music ever gave" -- substitute

To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy

Pearl Jam is the Boxer. We're just happy to be the bag -- Aaron Cunningham,Fanviews '98
  • new, extended corduroy?
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    edited January 2014
    That was a great show. :clap::clap: A lot of my personal wishes came true in Buffalo.
    First of all, that was my first time in the GA area and being so close to the band was a real treat. I've always had seats in the rafters for all the previous shows I have been at. My wife saw not only her first PJ show live but it was her first real rock concert of any serious magnitude. She is from Poland and had never been to a concert like that. Can you imagine, your first rock concert ever and its PJ, GA 40 feet from the stage. To see and feel her energy and excitement grow from beginning to end was deeply satisfying for me. Near the end of the show she asked me to lift her up on my shoulders (during baba) so she could wave a silk scarf at the band....it was totally my pleasure. I felt compelled to apologize to some fans behind us if we blocked the view a little, they were very understanding.
    Speaking of the fans everyone was really energized and well mannered and that great vibe from everyone really added to the experience. We made some new friends. First was a really nice couple, Jeremy and April. We met them at an Olive Garden because of our T-shirts, as a matter of fact 4 or five other people in different areas of the restaurant either waved or said a few words because we were all wearing PJ colors. Its nice to be a member of a family. Anyway, Jeremy gave Evelina and I a ride back to the arena and we took photos and exchanged numbers. Then we met two guys in the GA area from our own town (Bolton Ontario). Wow, a town of 25000 people and we are standing beside each other on the floor of an arena in Buffalo. A lot of Canadians there tonight for sure.
    The one song I hoped for was comatose, got it, well some of it, Ed missed a verse or so; not a problem I was singing it anyway.
    Wished to hear lots of the new album, got it, six to eight of them. Got to check the set list again. Sirens will be a classic. This show reminded me of the Riot Act tour and the show I saw at the Toronto amphitheater; they played lots of new music (at the time) at that show. I remember leaving the show and a girl was lamenting about not hearing her fav classics and I responded how great it was because we got all the new stuff. Its kind of nice when the whole crowd doesn't know all the lyrics and we just hear the band play.
    One last comment about seeing PJ up close for the first time. I used to always say that I didn't need to be up front for the shows because its not like watching Kiss or some other act that banks on a little more of a spectacle...PJ has always sounded great each and every time. After seeing how animated and intimate the guys get with the crowd, I hope that won't be the last time I'm lucky enough to be up front like that. Next time I'm gonna bring my young son Talon, and the next will be my youngest Dustin. Great events like this should be shared with family as well as friends.

Oh I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

Thanks PJ, 10c and especially my Zona.

20131012_210341_28559360x640_zpsd6412cf9.jpg
    Post edited by TalonTedd on
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    CB167195 wrote:
    new, extended corduroy?

nope, regular old way
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • FitPearl wrote:
    mjb wrote:
    Came on around 8:20 (so much for the 7:30 call mentioned in the email from 10c) and played until 11:00. I thought the crowd was really loud. Very happy vibe in the building and in the City. Such a beautiful fall nite. I appear to be in the minority but some songs fell a little flat on the setlist, mainly the new material that didn't seem to excite the entire arena. After Wrigley and tonight, I feel like Ed is losing his hold on setlist flow. Can't put my finger on it, but I feel like the shows have had far worse natural progression, especially from the loud to midtempo material. Hard to get into a zone and stay there. Also haven't seen it mentioned that the boys were sloppy last night. Miscues, missed verses, stopped starts (happened for about 5 songs in a row in the middle of the set). Ed also had problems with his monitors all night and tore them out of his ear twice. So...a fun night, but not one I am betting the boys consider for a marquee DVD release :) Thanks for hosting all the Canadians Buffalo, and nice to see the development going on in the downtown core. Oh and the best slice of arena pizza I have ever had.

this.

It was a very wonderful night, but i dont get why people keep saying it was a perfect night.... because it wasn't. A lot of sound problem, guys looked a little bit stressed out, for exemple, just before Immortality... Ed even "called" his soundman during a song. Between 2 lines, litteraly..........

He was stressed before Immortality because it wasn't on the setlist. He got confused during DTE, like he looked really rattled, then after he had all the crew stop bringing out instruments for what I think was going to be My Father's Son, and told the band he needed a minute, then told them to do Immortality. That's why he made the speech about pacing themselves. It looked like he was going a bit hard and over heated or something, and needed a slow song to get back on track. Same with the insertion of I Got ID. Rats also was (an amazing!) last second addition.
    Definitely not the tightest set, but still perfect.
  • SF11987SF11987 Posts: 11
    awilkins wrote:
    What was the GA line-up/door/early-entrance/designated entrance situation like??

So I showed up late to pick up my GA tickets and wristbands. At that time there was already a lineup of about 50-70 people right beside the Will Call window. I asked the security guy if this was the GA standing area and he said yes. I also asked if that line got in earlier than the other gates and he said, "no, they all get in at the same time". Hmm. That's what happened in Pittsburgh.

So a buddy and I decided to go have a beer rather than line up. We went to one of the pre-show parties and had a drink, and then went for a walk around the arena. On the walk, we ran into someone we knew at the back of the arena who had just spotted Mike McCready! He had been out chatting with fans.

We continued around the arena and found ANOTHER much shorter line to get in on the West side of the arena. As someone else already commented it was hidden away by all the construction outside. It was only about 15-20 people deep when we got into line at 5:30 pm.

Doors opened at 6:05 pm to the NEXT lineup inside the building. They had about 8 rope gates where lines formed. We were about 4th in line in our rope gate.

At 6:30 they opened those gates and there was mass confusion. Security guy number 1 wanted to scan your ticket. About 10 yards further up, Security guy #2 wanted to mark your ticket with a Sharpie. And then 5 yards further up they wanted to see your wristband. If you hadn't completed all the steps properly they gave you a different wristband. It was weird.

After all that I ended up about 4 rows deep on McCready's side where we proceeded to stand for the next 90 minutes. I think that was a pretty good result for getting into line at 5:30 pm. My advice to you - familiarize yourself with your surroundings and don't be a sheep.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,432
    Night 2...another great show. Pre-party was great at the Pearl Street Pub....we went downstairs, just as busy as the upstairs. Met a couple of great guys from Toronto area that we enjoyed some beers with (they also met us after the show as well and enjoyed a few more) Met up with smarchee again, DURP, talked with Yefa when we were heading out and briefly met up with Caveeve, his wife and brother (sounds like he had a great time..cool), met up with Shorty and elwayvedder while they waiting in line for GA. Hope to bump into Shorty again, like to enjoy a few beers with you before a show ;) Like other people have mentioned on here...shit ton of us Canadians were representing last night :)
    Liked Pittsburgh a little bit better (only cause they played my favs)...but Buffalo was rocking just a hard. Pendulum is a sweet opener. Again nice mix of the new tunes played...infallible, lightning bolt, future days.
    Getting Low Light, Rats was special. Like the little story on I Got Id :)
    Not sure if anyone else felt it, But especially during Alive and DTE...could you feel the vibrations in the floor. We were in section 117 and I could feel the concrete vibrating....crazy.
    Guess my tour is over for the year now, I hope they make a stop in Canada next year.
    Thanks to a couple of the local Buffolonians for hooking a brother up before the show and sharing a couple of beers with me and the wife. Not sure if anyone else saw these people, they were the ones with the 4 carved PJ pumpkins sitting on their car....they were pretty cool. The one fellow (bad with names :oops: ) had a tour shirt from 93, still in great shape :lol: It have Dave A. on the front of it...classic.

For all the people going to shows here in the near future....Your going to be real happy, the boys are rocking hard
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    Time for my in-depth review, so please bear with me.

Since seeing the guys live for the first time 1998, I have literally had dozens dreams where I am at a Pearl Jam show, it is GA, and I am right up front, at or near the barricade, and are so close that I can see the sweat of their faces and can interact with the guys. Over the 15 years since that show, I always thought it would remain that: a dream. Never would the opportunity arise to actually get to experience a show from right up close. But that all changed on Saturday night. People use the expression all the time and it never really applies, but this time it does. IT LITERALLY WAS A DREAM COME TRUE for me on Saturday night. I spent the entire show 2 to 3 people deep in the pit, directly in front of Jeff's mic stand. Right between Eddie & Mike in a prime position. You can never fully understand and appreciate what it is like from this vantage point until you experience it. It changes the entire show. From random eye contact with Ed, to interacting with Mike and having him point and smile at me and respond to my calls of "You rock, McCready" and "Yeaaah, Mikey!", to being constantly showered with pics, it is truly amazing. Now let me walk you through my whole experience from start to finish and let you relive a truly memorable night with me. Let me start by recounting what happened to us leading up to showtime, then I'll put in a concert review in a different post. Don't want it to be too long ;-)

My buddy and I left Ottawa bright and early at 7am and got the our hotel in Buffalo around 1:00. We were early, but they had a room ready and managed to book us in. My plan was to get to the venue around 4pm, just to hopefully get in line to get a decent spot on the floor. Rather than hang around the hotel until then, we decided to head straight downtown around 1:30, grab a drink and a bite to eat before going to the venue. We had a great cab ride with a very interesting cab driver (who swears constantly, but then does a sign of the cross when we pass a church? Our cab driver, that's who! But I digress). he dropped us off at the Pearl St. pub where we thought we'd check out the pre-party for a bit. The pre-party wasn't too busy, so we had a couple of beers and ate. When we left to walk to the venue at 3:45, the party had picked up a bit, but we wanted to get to the venue.

When we got there around 4:00 we noticed a line by the box office doors. GA line we assumed, so my buddy got in that line while I got my tickets. We were maybe 100/150th in line at this point. I suggested he talk to people in line to make sure it was the right line etc. When I got back to my buddy, he was chatting with a couple of women who siad that apparently there was another GA line on the other side of the pavillion. They had sent their husbands on a recon mission to check it out. They came back and told their wives that the other line was tiny . . . . 5 to 10 people in it TOPS. So they booked it to the other side. And we decided to follow. Sure enough, when we got there, we asked the security guard if this was a GA line and he said yes, so we joined it. We were 15th/20th in line at this point. This was great, we thought. We'll be one of the first through the doors.

The thing is, they are building a parking garage/harbour centre or something there now and it was next to impossible to access the opposite side of the pavillion from the box office side. It was hard to see, let alone know that there was another line there. so we were lucky to have met our fellow Canadians in line and have the inside info that nobody was on the other side!

So we were in line at 4, just chatting with fellow fans and killing time. We were able to leave and hit the washrooms/grab some water etc. which was great too. Finally around 6:00 they opened the pavillion doors to let us file in. And this is where the madness began. We all filed through and went passed the little security tables they had set up, then we all were forced to stand in front of a line of "gates" inside the pavillion where they would scan our tickets to let us in. They had let our side AND the other side in, so by this point there were HUNDREDS of people jammed into the pavillion. Luckily, we were 3rd and 4th in line at a gate, behind a couple of guys who were hardcore into planning what they would do once they let us in :-) We all waited there for a while. The ticket scanners walked up to all the gates around 6:20 and the guy at our gate prescanned some of our tickets so we could get in quicker (I assume) . . . . and then right at 6:30 it all broke loose.

They opened the gates and we just ran straight ahead to the big doors leading to the floor. We figured we'd just be straight onto the floor and into the pit but inexplicably, they had TWO employees only, yes TWO, right by those big doors trying to mark everyon'es GA/floor ticket with an "X" for some reason. Everybody had to slow up and try to get their ticket marked. It was chaos as people were thrusting their tickets into the TWO guys faces, desperately trying to get their ticket marked. I cannot understand what the point of this was, seeing as you needed a wristband to access the floor as well. It seemed ridiculous and only caused mass panic and bottlenecks. It slowed my buddy and I down, but we got our tickets marked, then ran again. TWO more checkpoints waited for us (where they checked for our wristbands) and we were finally on the arena floor, and headed up the side aisle to back of the pit. It wasn't bad when we got to the pit and we ran. My buddy was ahead of me and I told him to run to Jeff' and Mike's side, pointing out the people he should go stand behind. We nestled into a spot 2 to 3 people deep right in fron of Jeff's mic stand and I was thrilled that we we so close. Within about 1 minute, the pit was already 20 people deep, so we were pretty lucky to be where we were considering the craziness inside the pavillion.

We chatted with the fans we were around, but then the worst part of the whole afternoon started as we had to stand in the pit for 2 more hours before showtime. The first little while was okay, but it soon got very stuffy and we hadn't had any water since about 4:30. I wondered if I would make it to showtime! Luckily the guy beside me had been given a big cup of water by some girl behind him and he was kind enough to give us a sip, which helped a bit. Everyone around us was clock watching for those two hours and the minutes seemed to crawl by. But finally, the lights dimmed at about 8:10 and the guys walked out about 10 minutes later. Then, the adrenaline kicked in and all the stuffiness and thirst and wonders of whether I'd have to be pulled out of the pit due to exhaustion vanished, and I was ready to be blown away...... concert review to come in a bit....
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
    SF11987 wrote:

We continued around the arena and found ANOTHER much shorter line to get in on the West side of the arena. As someone else already commented it was hidden away by all the construction outside. It was only about 15-20 people deep when we got into line at 5:30 pm.

What do you look like? We were in the same line, and the line was short at 5:30 (we got in that line at 4) so we must have seen you.... we were about 15th/20th in line when we got there!

I had my Team McCready shirt on (and have red hair and a beard!)...
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • He was stressed before Immortality because it wasn't on the setlist."

Actually it was on the set list. It was supposed to be in the encore I believe. There is a twitter pic of the set list and it's definitely on there.

I agree this wasn't their best by a mile. Asking us how a Pearl Jam show is is kind of like asking a junkie how their blow is. Even the bad stuff is still good. They were off, and sloppy at times. Calling out to the sound girl twice between lines of Off He Goes hasn't happened that I've seen. There were definitely equipment problems for Ed all night. You could see the frustration on his face the whole night. It was actually kind of cool to see, that he still takes so much pride in his craft that he gets angry when things aren't going right.

I don't blame anyone, but this show isn't going to be put out on DVD. Still psyched they came to my hometown, and I'll be back every time they come around. Can't wait for the bootleg.
  • GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    Again I'll mention I think Jeff got banged up. He struggled to get up and down the stairs prior to the final encore.

The comments about being 'off' is pretty accurate, with the exception of Mike. Mike nailed it all night.

After Buffalo and Pittsburgh I will say the band was better overall in Pittsburgh, but the crowd was better in Buffalo.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011