Options

Any Other Happy Heathens?

13»

Comments

• Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Fascinating discussion.

Count me among don't who don't need a religion to be happy... in fact, being raised in a church to believe in the Bible made me very confused and unhappy as a kid. In my teenage years I realized I simply don't have to believe in anything that makes no damn sense to me... I might have to pretend to believe in it sometimes in certain social situations... but in my mind, I am free.

But discredited fairy tales aside, I do think there is more out there than meets the eye... so it's interesting to debate "the ether" or whatever it is that makes matter, anti-matter and dark matter all work together in this fascinating universe we are conscious of... and what the heck is consciousness btw?

A few months ago, while under the influence of psilocybin, I had what could either be called a waking dream or a divine experience... with my eyes closed, I saw an infinite expanse of intricate and colorful patterns that were flowing and merging together... and an overwhelming sense of peace... yes, OVERWHELMING peace... hard to really explain it... but it was the first time I could begin to understand what is meant by the "mind's eye"... with my eyes open, I saw the physical world in front of me in amazing ways, but eyes closed, I was peering into another world... maybe it was all in my mind... but honestly, I find that hard to believe.

Nature is pretty powerful stuff... perhaps we are only meant to understand it in small doses. ;)
  • Options
    Bah. Kenny, I had a proper response typed out, agreeing and discussing psilocybin with you, and questioning your assumption of disproven fairy tales from the standpoint of quantum physics. Unfortunately my iPad decided to refresh the page for no reason.

Now I have to get ready for work, so I will have to shelve that response.
    In the meantime, here is an article from the noetic institute laying out some very coherent similarities between biblical language and modern quantum mechanics.
    http://noetic.org/noetic/issue-two-sept ... s-forever/
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Bah. Kenny, I had a proper response typed out, agreeing and discussing psilocybin with you, and questioning your assumption of disproven fairy tales from the standpoint of quantum physics. Unfortunately my iPad decided to refresh the page for no reason.

Now I have to get ready for work, so I will have to shelve that response.
    In the meantime, here is an article from the noetic institute laying out some very coherent similarities between biblical language and modern quantum mechanics.
    http://noetic.org/noetic/issue-two-sept ... s-forever/

Ahhh... that's too bad... and I'm sorry to hear that your iPad is possessed by a demon. ;)

I will check out the link when I'm done with my chores for the day.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    well i suppose you are admitting to there being a god in existence then
    well done, catefrances...

yep I am... and im it.... for me, at least. just like every single one of us is our own god. ;)8-)
    it really is a wonderful way of looking at things & feeling things out

well it makes way more fucking sense than the alternative. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    ratmandoratmando Moss Beach, CA Posts: 344
    Making note to self to scream cate's name during sex. .... there.
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ratmando wrote:
    Making note to self to scream cate's name during sex. .... there.

:lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    :lol:

Great thread- a nice reprieve from world chaos.

Carry on. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ratmando wrote:
    My personal philosophy is the more I know about people, the more I learn about music. Music to me is a very powerful way of communicating. An example of the strength of it, and how it binds us-- on EVs solo tour, he plays Arc, layering and layering sounds in honor of those who have died and it becomes incredibly primal, with a hum so deep and roaring that the entire venue shakes with it...then it slowly ebbs back to silence. The same feeling I got came from hearing the Tibetan monks singing at Calarts when I was a student there..the throat singing, started so slowly, quietly, until the chanting is just all there is in the world and you are not where you are, but where you need to be, and for the two hours it went on, I swear it felt just like seconds. I get that same feeling when I hear the harmonics of the Bulgarian Women Folk Choir. Anytime I feel I guess what others may call spiritual...it's all music related. That's when I feel most connected and grounded with others and time and space.
    Music - the great equalizer...universalizer?

It crosses and dissolves boundaries. Creates unity, which is needed now more than ever.

Earlier I caught one of my favorite PBS pieces - Playing for Change. The words from the true gentle man prefacing "One Love" paraphrases in a way what you've said up there.

Just...beauty.

Simple, joyous, joyful beauty.

And Arc. Yes; again with the beauty...was fortunate to witness its first live performance and I'll never forget its richness and authenticity.

I felt privileged being there (well...just being).