What's for dessert?

afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So we have the what's for dinner and what's for lunch threads...but what about dessert? :mrgreen:

We have 6 Hershey bars leftover from a box of candy bars that kw's parents gave us, so I'm going to attempt to make this tonight... :mrgreen:

smorespie6.jpg?w=435&h=379
Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PapPap Posts: 28,751
    8820277280798.jpg?buildNumber=3034
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Pap wrote:
    8820277280798.jpg?buildNumber=3034

ooh...that looks yummy too! :)
    The graham cracker pie crust was kind of a b*^ch to roll out, but it was worth it! :mrgreen:

9560744177_8551a3a6ef.jpg
  • Did you find this recipe on Pinterest? If not - can you PM the recipe to me...... I think I might try it this weekend.....
    Did you find this recipe on Pinterest? If not - can you PM the recipe to me...... I think I might try it this weekend.....

Here's the link to the recipe :D It's relatively easy to make except for rolling out the crust...but I haven't made pie crust in awhile, so it might just be that I'm rusty :) Enjoy!

http://cookiesandcups.com/big-girl-smores-pie/
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    afroannnie wrote:
    Did you find this recipe on Pinterest? If not - can you PM the recipe to me...... I think I might try it this weekend.....

Here's the link to the recipe :D It's relatively easy to make except for rolling out the crust...but I haven't made pie crust in awhile, so it might just be that I'm rusty :) Enjoy!

looks delicious... I might give this a try too - but, I'll cheat and buy the ready made pie crust and see how that goes... :P
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    That looks tasty!

Last night, my sister-in-law made some kind of brownie/oreo concoction with cream cheese oreo icing. The sugar cracked me out for a bit, but it was stellar.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • afroannnie wrote:

Thank you so much - from the picture you posted it looks like you did a very good job rolling it out.... Question was this something that was good cold or better served warm???? I'm thinking of bringing it to a picnic this weekend.
    That looks tasty!

Last night, my sister-in-law made some kind of brownie/oreo concoction with cream cheese oreo icing. The sugar cracked me out for a bit, but it was stellar.

Thanks! It is! :D Ooh...that sounds yummy too...I make oreo cookie balls that are delish!

afroannnie wrote:

Thank you so much - from the picture you posted it looks like you did a very good job rolling it out.... Question was this something that was good cold or better served warm???? I'm thinking of bringing it to a picnic this weekend.

Thanks! :mrgreen: I was able to "patch up" the holes in the crust before baking it, so I think it worked out ok :)

We waited for it to cool, and then had it at room temp. I think if you put it in the fridge the marshmallow cream may get weird or stringy...
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    That looks so FREAKIN' good!
    I may have to try this,
    though I must agree with an earlier post
    + buy a premade crust.
    :roll:
    Kudos for making your own-
    you're a better chef than I!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    That looks so FREAKIN' good!
    I may have to try this,
    though I must agree with an earlier post
    + buy a premade crust.
    :roll:
    Kudos for making your own-
    you're a better chef than I!
    Cheers.

Well..honestly I thought about using a pre-made crust...but I didn't think I would be able to find a graham cracker one...so I went ahead and made may own...plus I'll be able to make the extra graham cracker crumbs to make more magic bars... :D :shifty:
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    afroannnie wrote:

And this picnic is where now? :mrgreen:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited August 2013
    Wow, that does look good! But I guess the sweetness level is stellar too ...
    We are not really dessert people, we enjoy savoury stuff a little more. But when we go into sweets, it's usually one of these guys
    chocolate+therapy.png

IceCream01-2.jpg?1365072172

And at the moment, we have this one in the freezer, but it's a tad too sweet for me ...
    cinnamonbuns.jpg

I also like Greek yogurt with Sanders Dark chocolate hot fudge... I guess I like hot fudge :lol: Oh, and once we had this super yummy Hot Fudge Brownie cheesecake. I wouldn't mind going into that again :D What I kind of miss over here is really good fruit ice cream. Somehow, they all look a little bland to me, so I haven't even felt the urge to try any.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    afroannnie wrote:
    The graham cracker pie crust was kind of a b*^ch to roll out, but it was worth it! :mrgreen:

Indeed it was! I only wish there was more of it ... :shifty:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    Wow, that does look good! But I guess the sweetness level is stellar too ...
    We are not really dessert people, we enjoy savoury stuff a little more. But when we go into sweets, it's usually one of these guys
    chocolate+therapy.png

IceCream01-2.jpg?1365072172

And at the moment, we have this one in the freezer, but it's a tad too sweet for me ...
    cinnamonbuns.jpg

I also like Greek yogurt with Sanders Dark chocolate hot fudge... I guess I like hot fudge :lol: Oh, and once we had this super yummy Hot Fudge Brownie cheesecake. I wouldn't mind going into that again :D What I kind of miss over here is really good fruit ice cream. Somehow, they all look a little bland to me, so I haven't even felt the urge to try any.

Can't go wrong with Ben & Jerry's Yummy! If you like hot fudge, this is a good choice too :D

6a00d83452434169e201901cc8b909970b-320wi
    kw18 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Indeed it was! I only wish there was more of it ... :shifty:

Do I need to request an updated picture of what it looks like now? :nono: :P
    Yeah, I love the NY Super Fudge Chunk one too :D And Phish Food. I guess you can't go wrong with chocolate and caramel with me :lol:

And aaaaaah! Thanks for that link, afro. I think I gotta try the chocolate truffle pie :shock:
    Yeah, I love the NY Super Fudge Chunk one too :D And Phish Food. I guess you can't go wrong with chocolate and caramel with me :lol:

And aaaaaah! Thanks for that link, afro. I think I gotta try the chocolate truffle pie :shock:

I saw that too...looks delish!
    "Basically a brownie on crack." :lol: :shock:
  • Speaking of Ben & Jerry's and caramel and chocolate...
    Did you see the recipe for the Karamel Sutra Cupcakes? ***drool***
    http://cookiesandcups.com/karamel-sutra-cupcakes-chocolate-and-caramel-swirl-cupcakes/
    I may have to make these... but mine surely will not look as nice.

I recently made Chocolate Strawberry Nutella Cake, and will deffinately be making it again. It was so good!!
    9563379573_4306c046dd_m.jpg

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/05/chocolate-strawberry-nutella-cake/
    I put mine in a trifle bowl, because it was for a picnic/birthday, and I wanted to put it together in advance, and not risk the thing toppling over. I just used a box cake instead of making it from scratch as the recipe says, because Im lazy, and had a bunch of other stuff to do for the party, but I did make the whipped cream from scratch, which was easy.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

Speaking of Ben & Jerry's and caramel and chocolate...
    http://cookiesandcups.com/karamel-sutra-cupcakes-chocolate-and-caramel-swirl-cupcakes/

I recently made Chocolate Strawberry Nutella Cake, and will deffinately be making it again. It was so good!!

I put mine in a trifle bowl, because it was for a picnic/birthday, and I wanted to put it together in advance, and not risk the thing toppling over. I just used a box cake instead of making it from scratch as the recipe says, because Im lazy, and had a bunch of other stuff to do for the party, but I did make the whipped cream from scratch, which was easy.
    sabber.gif
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    This thread is most definitely not good for me. I don't need additional reasons to think about dessert. :wink: yet here I am. Ben and Jerry's best IMO would be Cherry Garcia. Absolutely one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life is the flourless macadamia nut brownie with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and raspberry sauce from Bonefish Grill. Unbelievable!!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    Speaking of Ben & Jerry's and caramel and chocolate...

That looks amazing!!!
  • PapPap Posts: 28,751
    I also like Greek yogurt with Sanders Dark chocolate hot fudge...

Liz, if you haven't already tasted it, try the old - simple and healthy - good dessert: Greek yogurt with honey. :P
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024

I made the mistake of checking out the cake section of that website :fp:

I might have to make this:
    http://cookiesandcups.com/oreo-icebox-cake/

And Lisa, if you like chocolate and caramel.....

http://cookiesandcups.com/rolo-cake/
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    Pap wrote:

Liz, if you haven't already tasted it, try the old - simple and healthy - good dessert: Greek yogurt with honey. :P

While definitely delicious, Greek yogurt with anything is entirely too healthy in my book to be considered a dessert :D Probably the best thing I know how to cook is fillo pastry layered with butter and then filled with this amazing cream cheese/ricotta cheese yumminess baked until golden brown. The filling turns into a light cheesecake. After it is baked a simple syrup is drizzled over the top. :crazy: Don't know what to call this in English except really unhealthy and delicious! Of course, traditional baklava is always good too... These are special desserts and reserved for very special occasions in our house.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • afroannnie wrote:

omg. that looks glorious!
    thanks for sharing that site afro... i'll be keeping tabs on it for sure. :D
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

Pap wrote:

While definitely delicious, Greek yogurt with anything is entirely too healthy in my book to be considered a dessert :D Probably the best thing I know how to cook is fillo pastry layered with butter and then filled with this amazing cream cheese/ricotta cheese yumminess baked until golden brown. The filling turns into a light cheesecake. After it is baked a simple syrup is drizzled over the top. :crazy: Don't know what to call this in English except really unhealthy and delicious! Of course, traditional baklava is always good too... These are special desserts and reserved for very special occasions in our house.

mmmm...baklava...that's one I haven't attempted to make yet, but i do have my great grandmother's recipe..
    afroannnie wrote:

omg. that looks glorious!
    thanks for sharing that site afro... i'll be keeping tabs on it for sure. :D

You're welcome! :D I have a feeling I'll be making a few things off that website in the near future... :shifty:
  • dankind wrote:

At my Aunts....... but the rolo cake link that afroannnie posted looks mighty yummy too......
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    dankind wrote:

At my Aunts....... but the rolo cake link that afroannnie posted looks mighty yummy too......

I don't know. It's still summer. You've gotta go for the s'mores, right?

I shared the s'mores pie recipe with the baker in the family, and I'm hoping that she whips that up for us while we're on the Cape next week.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • @ dankind - you are absolutely correct - the S'mores Pie it is.... Have fun @ The Cape