English Premier League

nickburrows14nickburrows14 Posts: 858
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else follow English/European football?

I'm a massive Arsenal fan and basically my life is divided into Family, Pearl Jam and Arsenal.
Happy up here in my tree
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• corrado_ccorrado_c Posts: 1
    Arsenal is fine but you should support A.S Roma. i'm sure Eddie would agree ;-)
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I have been watching more and more the past few years. Don't have a specific team that I root for though....it would just be weird for me to jump on the bandwagon of some team in England when I live in Chicago. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying it and placing the occasional wager on a match.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    here here!!

lets see how will be without Sir
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • here here!!

Manchester United fan? Interesting season ahead.
    Happy up here in my tree
    here here!!

Manchester United fan? Interesting season ahead.
    yep..but love the league in general..its my favo
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    Im a life long Liverpool fan :D
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    United should be fine this year....the structure is there and in place, it would be hard to fuck it up that quickly.

However the test is how Moyes works over the years when things start to change, and he really needs to attract a couple of high profile signings. Lets not kid ourselves, United weren't great last year - they were lucky to find a host of other top sides stalling and slipping up. United ground it out, and didn't particularly win it through great performances as they have in the past.

Now if Chelsea move on. with the talent they have gelling and a top manager back reinvigorated, and City recouperate, lets not rule out Arsenal mounting a challenge with some good new signings, and it could be very different.

United really need to hold onto Rooney and bolster up the middle and the wings somewhat. Ronaldo is keeping his cards close to his chest but that's where they need to be looking to stay competitive this next season
    pdalowsky wrote:
    United should be fine this year....the structure is there and in place, it would be hard to fuck it up that quickly.

However the test is how Moyes works over the years when things start to change, and he really needs to attract a couple of high profile signings. Lets not kid ourselves, United weren't great last year - they were lucky to find a host of other top sides stalling and slipping up. United ground it out, and didn't particularly win it through great performances as they have in the past.

Now if Chelsea move on. with the talent they have gelling and a top manager back reinvigorated, and City recouperate, lets not rule out Arsenal mounting a challenge with some good new signings, and it could be very different.

United really need to hold onto Rooney and bolster up the middle and the wings somewhat. Ronaldo is keeping his cards close to his chest but that's where they need to be looking to stay competitive this next season
    feels like ronaldo may be transfer..
    Moyes is an enigma for me..lets see.
    special one is back too :mrgreen:
  • Beck.. wrote:

My sincere condolences :lol:

My wife is a red.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • pdalowsky wrote:

United will be ok is my feeling too. A lot of change with the big clubs. United, City and Chelsea with new managers and Wenger in spending mood this could be a great season
    Happy up here in my tree
    Beck.. wrote:

My sincere condolences :lol:

My wife is a red.
    hehehe

ok,thanks for the thread,,would love to chat with uk fans about the championship!! :)
  • Who's going to win it? I'm obviously hoping that Arsenal can mount a serious challenge but I'm not holding my breath. Really depends on who we buy. If we sign Higuain, Fellaini and Bender we have a chance.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • mattdinglemattdingle Posts: 180
    Ronaldo won't be coming this year , maybe next year .

Thiago Alcantara will be here shortly from Barca ;)

pdalowsky wrote:

feels like ronaldo may be transfer..
    Moyes is an enigma for me..lets see.
    special one is back too :mrgreen:
    id think with nani heading for the exit they must sign a quality wide man, especially since young and Valencia were not brilliant last year
  • leekstokieleekstokie Posts: 905
    Massive Stoke City FC fan

New manager in Mark Hughes for us this season, hoping he can push us on.
    PJ
    2012 - Manchester 1 - 20/6 
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 - 16/6, Amsterdam 2 - 17/6, Milan - 20/6, Leeds - 08/07, Milton Keynes - 11/07
    2015 - Bogota - 25/11
    2016 - Philly 1 - 28/04, Philly 2 - 29/04, NYC 1 - 01/05, NYC 2 - 02/05
    2018 - LDN 1 - 18/06, Krakow - 03/07, Berlin - 05/07, Madrid - 12/07, LDN 2 - 17/07, Missoula 13/08
    2022 - LA 1 - 06/05, LA2 - 07/05, Berlin - 21/06, Frankfurt 28/07, London 1 - 08/07, London 2 - 09/07, Budapest - 12/07, Krakow 14/07, Amsterdam 2 - 25/07, NYC Apollo - 10/09, NYC MSG - 11/09, OKC - 20/09, Denver - 22/09.
    2023 - St Paul 2 - 03/09, Chicago 1 - 05/09, Chicago 2 - 07/09

EV
    2012 - Manchester - 28/07/12, 2017 - Amsterdam - 29/05/17, 2019 -Amsterdam - 09/06/2019, Madrid - 22/06/2019
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    United fan here. Looking forward to the season ahead, I think utd will be fine without Sir Alex, Moyes is a great Manager, and agreed the structure is there. Hopefully Rooney will stay, but bigger stars have fallen, and they've gone on to keep winning. thiago would be a great addition to the quad should he ever sign... and if Ronaldo does.. as they say.. come home.. then happy days.

But most of all, jut hope the leaque is a competive as ever, with some cracking games.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,472
    Life long Chelsea fan here (in other words, from back when they were shit!) Really happy that Jose is back, although I sort of wish Sir Alex was still around. I used to like watching those two.

The best thing about the Premier League for me is that my hometown club Swansea City are doing so well too. It's a strange feeling, following 2 clubs in the same league. It was fine when Swansea when the Swans were in the lower leagues because there was no divided loyalties, kinda in the same way that you can follow a favourite Italian or Spanish team as well as your favourite UK team. Back then you could bump into one of the players in a shop and have a chat, now they're in the Europa League. Good times!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush wrote:
    Life long Chelsea fan here (in other words, from back when they were shit!) Really happy that Jose is back, although I sort of wish Sir Alex was still around. I used to like watching those two.

The best thing about the Premier League for me is that my hometown club Swansea City are doing so well too. It's a strange feeling, following 2 clubs in the same league. It was fine when Swansea when the Swans were in the lower leagues because there was no divided loyalties, kinda in the same way that you can follow a favourite Italian or Spanish team as well as your favourite UK team. Back then you could bump into one of the players in a shop and have a chat, now they're in the Europa League. Good times!

Michu is the bargain of the century. Great player
    Happy up here in my tree
    goldrush wrote:

our midfield is a real array of talent now....

get rid of Torres and get a proper striker (in the drogba mould) and Chelsea could be unstoppable this year.
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    goldrush wrote:

get rid of Torres and get a proper striker (in the drogba mould) and Chelsea could be unstoppable this year.

Wouldn't you say Lukaku is that striker? Impressive last season at WBA
    Happy up here in my tree
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    An outsider's observations on the subject. Somewhat personal story.

Always kind of liked the way Arsenal played. Thought Arsene Wenger was a genious trainer. On my London trip, purchased tickets for Arsenal game in January/2010. The game was postponed due to harsh weather conditions. It was like a joke, the snow was barely visible. I was frustrated. My sympathy for Arsenal - gone.

ManU- plays artistically but always with some little help from referees. And what is with Giggs playing like forever? Before that scholes, and before that roy keane? Same old, same old...

Liverpool - somewhat symphatic but very erratic..

Chelsea- for me, the real deal. Always had to carry the misfortune of being seen as the boys of the rich club. Till the year they won Champ. League. There was so much anger and hopelessness and intensity in that win. Like any moment, something will come up and championship will be taken away from them. Like it is their destiny to lose.. But somehow they won. Finally.

Premier League is a blast, doesnt go well with my marriage life in Russia, though. Game times prove to be very challenging.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
    so,how the betting companies have this so far at UK??winner of championship and etc?
  • so,how the betting companies have this so far at UK??winner of championship and etc?

Nothing between man u, man city and Chelsea. Then arsenal, spuds and Liverpool.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Pre season starts this weekend. Think the Arsenal game is on ESPN on Sunday
    Happy up here in my tree
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    good articles for people that are wondering what its all about from on of the best sports writers in the US:

http://www.nbcsports.com//joe-posnanski ... privileges

http://www.nbcsports.com//joe-posnanski ... eague-club
    so,how the betting companies have this so far at UK??winner of championship and etc?

Nothing between man u, man city and Chelsea. Then arsenal, spuds and Liverpool.
    Liverpool???..this must be a joke!!
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I keep hearing bale going to real. Supposedly he said he'll never wear a spurs jersey again. :corn:
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    badbrains wrote:
    I keep hearing bale going to real. Supposedly he said he'll never wear a spurs jersey again. :corn:

And with all those rumours about Ronaldo, i hear Valencia, who has been wearing the no.7 shirt at UTD is to change is shirt number, so wouldn't be surprised if its Bale in and Ronaldo out. We shall see.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,472
    Can't wait for tomorrow night (Sydney time)! My wife is not so happy though because she knows that I'll be up until 4am every Saturday night for the next 9 months watching football :D
    pdalowsky wrote:

Wouldn't you say Lukaku is that striker? Impressive last season at WBA
    I'm hoping for big things from Lukaku this year. He's looked good in the pre-season friendlies and Torres isn't really match ready yet after his extended summer break. De Bruyne and van Ginkel look good too and we have Essien the Beast back. More Essien should hopefully mean less Mikel!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    well, the first round of games in nearly over and I think it is safe to say that ManU, Chelsea and ManCity all look very dominating. But only one game in so far, should be interesting.