The Basement Project

Comments

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Woah, that is awesome! Looks like a lot of work, but worth it! :mrgreen:

fish pond? :wtf:

I wish I had a basement. Damn sea level.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Yeah, I'm not sure about a fish pond inside the house. I dunno, seems kind of gross to me... :fp:
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Woah, that is awesome! Looks like a lot of work, but worth it! :mrgreen:

fish pond? :wtf:

I wish I had a basement. Damn sea level.

Thanks! :D
    Yeah, I'm not sure about a fish pond inside the house. I dunno, seems kind of gross to me... :fp:

Yes..I'm not sure what the dude was thinking... :fp:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I'm very impressed at the speed of your work! :clap:

I don't have a 'basement' right now...it's more of a 'crawlspace' that you can stand up in (well, afro and I could stand up down there :lol: ) but I'm looking at these adorable craftsman style houses that have unfinished basements and I'm ready for a new project!

The koi pond in the basement reminds me of a house I visited once...there was a sunken hot tub in the middle of the living room. :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    nice project & stuff. your basement is coming together & looks awesome. i love finished basements. i've had my bedroom in a basement or two. that was nice & a great place for us young people to hang out in. our next door neighbor was a cop which was cool & stuff & in the cover of darkness we snuck garbage sacks fulla grass through the windows & into my basement/bedroom/hang out :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Hot tub, fish pond... I don't know how I feel about that. Seems like it's just asking for mold
    Hot tub, fish pond... I don't know how I feel about that. Seems like it's just asking for mold
    thank you

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    chadwick wrote:
    nice project & stuff. your basement is coming together & looks awesome. i love finished basements. i've had my bedroom in a basement or two. that was nice & a great place for us young people to hang out in. our next door neighbor was a cop which was cool & stuff & in the cover of darkness we snuck garbage sacks fulla grass through the windows & into my basement/bedroom/hang out :mrgreen:

Thanks! We're pretty happy with how it's coming along ... here's hoping that's a trend that continues!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    i like the 40 year old record player & receiver. those things have ass to them. wish i had one myself

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I'm very impressed at the speed of your work! :clap:

I don't have a 'basement' right now...it's more of a 'crawlspace' that you can stand up in (well, afro and I could stand up down there :lol: ) but I'm looking at these adorable craftsman style houses that have unfinished basements and I'm ready for a new project!

The koi pond in the basement reminds me of a house I visited once...there was a sunken hot tub in the middle of the living room. :?

Thanks! But it feels like we're running out of time to get this done by Saturday night ... :?
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    chadwick wrote:
    i like the 40 year old record player & receiver. those things have ass to them. wish i had one myself

Thanks! It's good sound quality ... although the receiver produces some static on one side when messing with the volume. It's kind of annoying. :-|
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

Thanks! It's good sound quality ... although the receiver produces some static on one side when messing with the volume. It's kind of annoying. :-|
    a bit of a short or whatever. i wonder if a good cleaning with alcohol on the inside would iron things out

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    kw18 wrote:

Thanks! But it feels like we're running out of time to get this done by Saturday night ... :?

what happens Saturday? :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    RKCNDY wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

yeah, wtf? I didnt get a party invitation yet? ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    RKCNDY wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

its when the zombie apocalypse starts and they have to live down there permanently. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    RKCNDY wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

:lol: just a little summer get together...maybe we can have a pearl jam fiesta in the fall when they tour....and we have all our tour posters up....they're still need to get framed.... :oops:
    RKCNDY wrote:

its when the zombie apocalypse starts and they have to live down there permanently. ;)8-)

:lol::lol:

Obviously. I mean, we need the bookcase done for the zombie apocalypse. What kind of animals do you think we are? ;)
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."

:shh: :wink:
    kw18 wrote:

:lol::lol:

Obviously. I mean, we need the bookcase done for the zombie apocalypse. What kind of animals do you think we are? ;)

With all that time to read, we'll definitely meet our current reading plan... :oops: :geek:
    More updates!

We finally finished the bookcase! (After many words were said in the process ... :?)

There is still a bit of work to be done around the edges and so forth, but it's essentially done.

Here's the evolution:

9183965754_ec1936fcd1.jpg

9183967562_1fe945c420.jpg

9181755731_71c32e5a10.jpg
    (with trim)

9183966348_43aa604ebb.jpg
    (We installed the light at the top of this photo, too. I'm only slightly terrified I did it wrong and a fire is just waiting to happen ... :lol:)

For a sense of perspective, here's a shot of the bookcase with AfroAnnnie inside:

9181754533_7256ee5acf_n.jpg

Here it is fully loaded:

9184037352_86108f1829.jpg
    (For those curious, yes, the middle case is all Stephen King. We're only missing four, and we need to replace 11 with hardcover versions.)

9181824699_44faaff4f4.jpg
    (We clearly need to buy more books!)

And the finishing touch:
    9183965998_2d0974dfa0_n.jpg

That is the first of many framed posters we will be putting up in the basement (and the stairwell, and the second floor, and the bedroom ...). We'll update as soon as we have money to buy the frames ... so probably not any time soon! :fp:

Hope you have enjoyed our pictures! Looking forward to a possible PJ fiesta this fall (come on East Coast tour!). :D
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    I'm so proud of kw & the amazing bookcase he built for us! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    And the staining job is pretty nice too... ;)
    We were able to show off our custom built bookcase for our friends this weekend and everyone was very impressed :D
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    You need to put this on the top shelf..

6669058806414dbba511610e6bb837f3c3ec13ae69_b.jpg
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

nice beaver

A beaver holding wood...I like it! :thumbup:
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    norm wrote:

nice beaver
    Thanks, I just had it stuffed.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    norm wrote:

nice beaver
    Thanks, I just had it stuffed.

:lol::lol::lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    awesome job! :D

(is kw available for rent to build more book cases? :shifty:)

- Christopher McCandless
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    RKCNDY wrote:

How 'bout a backyard deck?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

How 'bout a backyard deck?

ooohhh! good idea! I need one of those too...

- Christopher McCandless
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    kw18 wrote:
    More updates!

We finally finished the bookcase! (After many words were said in the process ... :?)

There is still a bit of work to be done around the edges and so forth, but it's essentially done.

Here's the evolution:

9183965754_ec1936fcd1.jpg

9183967562_1fe945c420.jpg

9181755731_71c32e5a10.jpg
    (with trim)

9183966348_43aa604ebb.jpg
    (We installed the light at the top of this photo, too. I'm only slightly terrified I did it wrong and a fire is just waiting to happen ... :lol:)

For a sense of perspective, here's a shot of the bookcase with AfroAnnnie inside:

9181754533_7256ee5acf_n.jpg

Here it is fully loaded:

9184037352_86108f1829.jpg
    (For those curious, yes, the middle case is all Stephen King. We're only missing four, and we need to replace 11 with hardcover versions.)

9181824699_44faaff4f4.jpg
    (We clearly need to buy more books!)

And the finishing touch:
    9183965998_2d0974dfa0_n.jpg

That is the first of many framed posters we will be putting up in the basement (and the stairwell, and the second floor, and the bedroom ...). We'll update as soon as we have money to buy the frames ... so probably not any time soon! :fp:

Hope you have enjoyed our pictures! Looking forward to a possible PJ fiesta this fall (come on East Coast tour!). :D

oh my lordy!!!! my basement envy just took a huge spike.

my most prized possession is a stephen king book.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say